Fonda: Jackson bought Neverland after visiting my ranch

bluesky

Proud Member
111207081309-piers-jane-fonda-media-00014811-story-top.jpg

(CNN)
-- Jane Fonda told Piers Morgan that Michael Jackson's 1981 visit to her California ranch inspired him to purchase what was to become Neverland Ranch.
The actress and author of the new book "Prime Time" -- which is about the last third of life -- is a guest on tonight's "Piers Morgan Tonight.""I had a ranch in Santa Barbara," said Fonda. "And he came and visited me once. And I was walking him around. It's how he was introduced to that area -- where he eventually bought Neverland -- is when I had him to my ranch."The King of Pop, who was in his early 20s at the time, spent a week on the set of "On Golden Pond.""He came and he wanted to watch my father and Katharine Hepburn work," said Fonda. "He was interested in becoming a movie actor."Fonda also recalled pointing out to Jackson the spot on the ranch's grounds where she intended to be buried."I thought he was going to have a meltdown," Fonda stated. "The notion that I could countenance the fact that I was going to die was anathema to him. He just -- he screamed."The actress recalled Jackson insisting that he was never going to die."He talked about how he would get into an oxygen tank and he thought that was going to keep him, you know, alive forever."Fonda told Morgan that she doesn't like the notion that Jackson's 2009 death was a "Hollywood cliché," but that "it's hard to imagine that someone that was as tormented as he was, you know, could have sort of lived a long and peaceful and natural life."Fonda and her father, Henry Fonda, co-starred in 1981's "On Golden Pond," for which they both won Oscars. The film also won Best Picture that year.
111208075533-piers-morgan-jane-fonda-father-00010713-story-body.jpg
<cite class="expCaption" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; position: absolute; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); left: 10px; bottom: 0px; height: 20px; width: 214px; opacity: 0.85; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">Jane Fonda on acting with her father</cite>

"I feel so blessed, Piers, to have been able to have that experience," said Fonda. "He died five months later. I bought the play. I made the movie, because I wanted to work with him. We knew he was dying."The actress described her relationship with her father."He was a man of profound integrity," she said. "He was a good man. He had good values. He had problems in the relationship department. He had problems with emotions, which is interesting for an actor, a hard time expressing emotions and being around someone who was emotional. It was absolutely terrifying to him."Fonda also noted that while her father was difficult, "he did the best he could; and I was able to tell him that before he died."Fonda also stated that "if there had been Prozac then, I think probably our lives would have been very different."The actress also said that she believes that what her father didn't communicate directly to her, he did through the films whose values he held dear, such as "Twelve Angry Men," "Young Abe Lincoln," "The Wrong Man," and "The Grapes of Wrath."Fonda also told Morgan that she knows her dad would have been pleased to know that she married Ted Turner."I found out after my dad died that he was fascinated by Ted Turner," said Fonda. "Dad loved the news; and he told a reporter that once interviewed me that he thought that Ted Turner was the greatest guy in the world because he started CNN."Turner and Fonda divorced in 2001."We had a great time for 10 years," said Fonda. "I am so happy that I got to spend 10 years with him. It ended when it was supposed to end and we're very, very close. I just talked to him today. I told him I was going to be on the show. And I'm so proud of him. He's done so much good work in the world."Fonda told Morgan that the current crop of GOP candidates does not impress her."They all scare me, frankly," said Fonda. "I get depressed and scared when I look at the Republican debates."The actress stated that she's "worried about anybody getting elected to office who says we have to do away with or privatize Social Security, we have to reduce health insurance; we have to not raise taxes."Fonda is hoping that voters reelect Barack Obama, telling the CNN host, "I hope he gets re-elected. I wish that he would be stronger. I think he will be in his second term. I think he's going to be reelected. I think he's a good man, but I wish that he was tougher on the issues that I care about and that a lot of people care about."

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/12/08/showbiz/jane-fonda-on-piers-morgan-tonight/

Jane Fonda talks about skinny dipping with MJ.... (starts at 01:50)

[youtube]1au20VMZZPo[/youtube]

^^ Yes, I watch this show last night, and I thought wow!! :D

Cougar? :swoon:

Did Fonda and Michael have a falling out? Because she seems so detached, mean even, the way she talks about him.

I thought the story I heard before is she went skinny-dip and MJ was so shy about it. lol

Transcript for Jane Fonda's interview on 'Piers Morgan Tonight' last night (MJ part only)

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1112/08/pmt.01.html

MORGAN: I want to talk to you about two very iconic people in the world of entertainment, Marilyn Monroe and Michael Jackson. You knew them both. And Marilyn has a new film out at the moment about a very, very good movie. And I interviewed Michel Williams about it last week.

Michael Jackson, also, someone who was fragile. You know, the -- the -- both of them had these -- these beyond famous iconic images. And yet in their innermost selves, they were very, very vulnerable, damaged people. And it was a -- the tension between those two things, perhaps, that -- that made them so brilliant in their -- each in their own way.

I mean Michael, what a genius in terms of music and dancing and moves and the impact that he had on -- on our musical culture. It's just amazing.

And yet, you know, I lived with him for a week when I was making "On Golden Pond." He came and he wanted to watch my father and Katharine Hepburn work. He was interested in becoming a movie actor.

And we would stay up at night talking. And you know, there was this part of him that was like a lost soul. And then there was this other part of him that was a savvy, brilliant businessman and inspired talent.

So that -- it was -- you know, it was just very attractive to be around people with that kind of -- those kind of contradictions.

MORGAN: When -- when you saw the -- the tragic way that Michael Jackson's life ended and the trial and everything else, what was your view of that?

I mean do you think that Michael, in the end, just became a -- an awful kind of celebrity cliche, in a sense, that he was, you know, apparently just living off all these drugs and doctors were preying on him and so on and so on. Is -- was that always going to be the way that someone as genius like but tormented as him was going to go?

FONDA: Just because one is absolutely brilliant doesn't mean you have to be screwed up.

I think that -- I don't think it's a celebrity cliche, what happened to Michael, either. But I do think -- I remember once, he was visiting me. I had a ranch in Santa Barbara and in California. And he came and visited me once. And I was walking him around. It's how he was introduced to that area where he eventually bought Never Never Land is when I had him to my ranch.

And I was walking around and showing him the ranch. And I pointed to a place at the edge of the cliff and I said that's where I -- where I'm going to be buried. And I thought he was going to have a meltdown. He -- he -- the notion that I could countenance the fact that I was going to die as anathema to him. He just -- he screamed.

And he talked about how he would get into an oxygen tank and he thought that was going to keep him, you know, alive for -- forever.

I -- I think growing old would have been very, very, very difficult for Michael. There was a lot of demons chasing that kid and -- and I think it would have been hard for him.

I -- I wish it had happened another way. But it's hard to imagine that someone that was as tormented as he was, you know, could have sort of lived a long and peaceful and natural life. I just don't think so.

MORGAN: No, I agree. It's very sad.

FONDA: Yes.

Cougar? :swoon:Did Fonda and Michael have a falling out? Because she seems so detached, mean even, the way she talks about him.
Even famous ppl seem to act like disgtunteld fans when they arent in mjs world for 100 % of the time

why are they even asking her about MJ? they hadn't been close in over 30 years-_-.. and Kimmel is an @ss.. I can't stand him.

^^ I agree, alot of shade in that interview. I think the fact that MJ filmed say, say,say on neverland ranch a more convincing reason why he bought neverland than a visit he paid to her. And what's with mj freaking out when talking about where you would be buried when you die - he was 20yrs old - perfectly normal reaction for someone that age. And oxygen tank? Sounds completely made up, fonda's prob remembering the tabloid story from the mid 80s.

Fonda's one of those hollywood types who flocked round mj when he was hot and disappeared off the radar after 93. MJ would probably have had 'a long, peaceful and natural life' if those allegations hadn't happened. He navigated a brutalised childhood, child stardom and unprecedented fame without recourse to drugs, so i wish for once people would recognise that it was EXTERNAL reasons why mj had drug problems, not these internal demons that they love chatting about.

HOW DARE HER SHARE SUCH A PRIVATE AND INTIMATE MOMENT WITH MICHAEL.. HE WOULD HATE HAVING THE PUBLIC KNOW ABOUT HIM SKINNY DIPPING, HIS SEXUALITY WAS SO PRIVATE TO HIM!!

Why arnt we seeing those type of comments here?? point taken or do I need to explain?

It's so nice to remember that corny joke about oxigen tank Jane (can't believe i hear it again) lol

I was always wonder what kind of relationships they had in late 70th - early 80th

HOW DARE HER SHARE SUCH A PRIVATE AND INTIMATE MOMENT WITH MICHAEL.. HE WOULD HATE HAVING THE PUBLIC KNOW ABOUT HIM SKINNY DIPPING, HIS SEXUALITY WAS SO PRIVATE TO HIM!!Why arnt we seeing those type of comments here?? point taken or do I need to explain?
cause its been public knowledge for donkeys years?

I saw her on Piers and it didn't seem bad. I don't agree with her that Michael couldn't handle old age. He was 50 and he was looking forward to the second part of his life. He was busy doing so many things. His children brought so much joy and I am sure he couldn't wait to see them grow up and maybe be a grandfather someday.

I don't know if that one week they spent together was the only time they spent or if she saw him over the years. Because if she saw him with his kids and saw what he was doing then maybe she might rethink that. You are not the same person you were in 1981 and then in 2009.

I don't like how people imply Michael's life was a tragedy. His death was tragic and we all know it should never have happened. He should still be here. He did so many great things and not many people influenced and impacted people's lives more than Michael did. Michael had so much he wanted to do and was denied that.

Last edited:
donkeys years ha? lol!! thats funny..

but we all know that's not why! Have it to be that it was known or not no one would have attacked that story..

Its based off donkeys ears being really long. changed to the saying donkeys years

Jane Fonda was on 'Rosie Show' yesterday and talked about Michael again:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...chael-jackson-ted-turner-video_n_1145056.html

'The Rosie Show': Jane Fonda On Living With Michael Jackson And Ted Turner (VIDEO)

On "The Rosie Show" (Weeknights, 7PM ET on OWN), Jane Fonda said that she didn't have to prepare at all for her role in "Monster-in-Law." Instead, she found that just being with Ted Turner was preparation enough.

"Not because he's a monster," Fonda clarified. "On the contrary. It's because living with him for ten years I learned that you can be completely outrageous and over the top and be totally lovable."

She had such experiences during her life that she'll remember forever. She talked about skinny dipping with various celebrities, including Michael Jackson. Jackson lived with her for a week, bunking on a mattress on the floor. This was in 1981 during her work on "In Golden Pond" and Jackson in his early 20s coming off the success of his first solo album Off the Wall.

And yet, Fonda revealed discovering a tape recorder that Jackson had underneath his pillow giving him affirmations like "You're a good person. It's gonna be okay." With all the success and accolades he'd achieved to that point, he still struggled with self-doubt and insecurities.

That's something Fonda doesn't struggle with so much. At 73 years old, she's as outspoken as ever, saying on "Piers Morgan Tonight" that all the GOP candidates scare her equally. With two new workout DVDs headed to the shelves, Fonda is clearly not a woman who scares easily.

How did Rosie respond to that? I don't if she is like Oprah and dislikes Michael too.

Why the hell do these "celebrities" talk to Piers Morgan about Michael??????........

.......don't they realise that he used to work for the same tabloids that printed countless lies and tried to destroy him??????

Whenever Piers talks about MJ, you can tell in the tone of his voice that he never liked Michael!!!!!

Why the hell do these "celebrities" talk to Piers Morgan about Michael??????........

.......don't they realise that he used to work for the same tabloids that printed countless lies and tried to destroy him??????

Whenever Piers talks about MJ, you can tell in the tone of his voice that he never liked Michael!!!!!
I know of his shady history with the now defunct NOTW but I honestly don't get that vibe. I think Piers is somewhat a fan

Rosie has called mj a abuser many times . she went on lynching with her good buddie oprah back in the daymorgan cetainly isnt a fan. read the info in the other thread.

Rosie has called mj a abuser many times . she went on lynching with her good buddie oprah back in the daymorgan cetainly isnt a fan. read the info in the other thread.

Wow it's crazy how many of these members of the lynch mob are sneaking under my radar, I was still quite young back then so it was hard to stay informed about all of the haters at the time, plus I tried to block out as much as I could....there's just too much! Can someone please send me a list of people that I can actually respect for ALWAYS treating Michael with dignity? I'm sure that list is much shorter and easier to compose than all of the jerks.

Back