Molly Meldrum Australian Music Icon in critical condition after Fall

qbee

Proud Member
Many fans know Molly Meldrum from his famous interviews of Michael Jackson. (which I will post below this article) Molly was one of the few people who interviewed Michael that fans respected becuase he was always respectful and very gracious in his interviews. My prayer go out for him and his family. I pray for his complete recovery. He fell while hanging Christmas decoration at his home. :cry:

We-miss-you-so-much-michael-jackson-13106282-650-488.jpg

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/en...or-molly-meldrum/story-e6frewyr-1226224429508
MELBOURNE doctors will keep music guru Molly Meldrum in a coma into next week as they try to ease the swelling on his brain. The next 48 hours are make or break for Meldrum. Outside Melbourne's Alfred Hospital, where the music guru is fighting a life-or-death battle, his brother Brian revealed the shocked family had been told Molly would get worse before he gets better.

The much-loved former Countdown host will remain sedated until next week. His neurosurgeon, Professor Jeffrey Rosenfeld, said it was too early to say when Meldrum would wake up or whether he would make a complete recovery.

429083-molly-meldrum.jpg

Molly Meldrum's family devastated

Brian Meldrum said his 65-year-old brother still had swelling of the brain after falling at his Richmond home about 6.30pm on Thursday.Molly was hanging decorations above a bar next to his pool to prepare for his annual Christmas party on Sunday.

His gardener found him unconscious and called emergency services, which arrived within 10 minutes.

His family last night declared he would fight "with every breath of his body".

Brian Meldrum said doctors needed to stabilise his brother's head injuries before they could tend
to his broken shoulder, fractured clavicle, fractured ribs, pierced lung and fractured vertebrae.

"They have him sedated. He will remain that way until early next week," he said.

"At the moment we're taking little steps forward but there's nothing to say things couldn't go backwards in that respect. He is not out of danger as far as his life goes."

Brian Meldrum, a former racing writer, said the family was optimistic but Molly was not out of the woods.

A spokesperson for The Alfred said while medical staff were cautiously optimistic, Meldrum was in a critical but stable condition and the next 48 hours remained crucial.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard joined showbiz and sporting stars and ordinary Australians who took to Twitter to send messages of support.

"Australia's thoughts are with you, Molly. Keep fighting," Ms Gillard tweeted yesterday morning. The Minogue sisters Kylie and Dannii tweeted that he was in their thoughts.

"Sending LOTS of love to Molly Meldrum get well soon x J," Kylie wrote.

Boy George, Jimmy Barnes, Russell Crowe, Ricky Martin, and Ruby Rose added their own messages of support.
Shane Warne said Australians had grown up with Countdown, hosted by Meldrum from 1974 to 1987.

"It's terrible. He has been a good friend for the best part of 20 years," Warne said. Music promoter and friend Michael Chugg said messages of support for Meldrum had poured in from around the world - including from British promoter Harvey Goldsmith and Billy Joel.

Brian Meldrum said his brother would be overwhelmed by the tributes.

"It's devastating. These things do happen, but there's no point in falling in a heap and I certainly won't," he said.
"He's rarely overwhelmed by anything. He'd be totally overwhelmed by the support ... and that gives us tremendous heart."

Molly Meldrum had spent the early part of Thursday doing an on-air interview with Steve Vizard on MTR.
"He was in great form. He was fit and happy and was looking forward to Christmas," Vizard said.
"He was talking about spending time in Bangkok and Phuket with his partner (Yan Wongngam)"
Then he met up with singer Russell Morris, for whom Molly produced the 1969 hit The Real Thing.

Professor Rosenfeld said Molly was in a "deep coma" when he arrived at The Alfred, and a pressure monitor had been put in his brain.

Experts warned that brain injury patients often faced a long road of rehabilitation - and said life for many would never be the same. Figures from the Bureau of Statistic show that falls accounted for 1370 deaths registered in 2009 - and these had increased by 37.5 per cent over the past five years (from 996 in 2005).

Fans from overseas and across Australia led by International superstar and close friend Kylie Minogue also sent their messages of support on Twitter.

Re: Molly Meldrum Australian Music Icon in critical condition after Fall (MJ related)

What a horrible freak accident. Love his interviews of Michael, and I hope and pray he pulls through.

Are you kidding me? Molly had nothing but DISGUSTING things to say about Michael on Australian tv after he died. He has zero respect from me.

I hope he does recover, it's just sad I feel for his fam. I just recently lost my dad from a heart attack and he also had brain swelling, so yea. :(

@ kindofdisco I do remember after MJ died Meldrum did an inteview saying MJ was Gay and wanted to be white...which was shocking to me when I saw that cause I was like and you know this how?

"On Michael on not having a normal childhood:
"One has to remember that Jermaine and Randy and everyone else had a fairly normal upbringing. But Michael because of his father Joe, just had him rehearsing, rehearsing, day in day out in the house so he didn't really know the real world. And basically when he wasn't rehearsing he was watching shows like My Three Sons, Leave It To Beaver, The Partridge Family and whatever. One of his complexes was he felt the only way he was really going to make it in the world was to be basically a white artist. Which is horrendous! It's terrible, it's really sad.”

On Michael being fantastic entertainer and freak show:
"The thing is once he started doing all that plastic surgery, and then the whitening or whatever and then obviously all the other dramas in his personal life that went on and for any one of us it was surreal you know? Even the look of Michael Jackson seem without being cruel he started to look like one of the extras of the video Thriller.

On the allegations in the 1990's and 2005:
"It just became a bizarre trail. It was hard to know where, what, and what was fact and what was fiction and that just compounded the whole weirdness of being a Michael Jackson in the world."

- http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-gen...kson-molly-meldrum-tribute/20090626-cyux.html

Another fake one who just sucked up to get interviews then.

Leaving what he said about Michael out of the story, I wish him all the best and hope he recoveres soon. There's no way I would wish this on anyone.

On all the other stuff he has said after Michael's dead. Well he can join the line of backstabbers.

I was sad to read the comments Molly made after MJ's death that show he didnt understand and was not knowledgable about Michael or his life at all. Non the less it doesnt make him a bad person. Just a person ignorant of the facts.

The lack of compassion in some posts here bring tears to my eyes :cry: There is a time and place - a right thread and a right time to discuss his misconceptions. I just wish it wasnt done here. I had to actually remove a post that stated "What a bastard! Hope he will die soon." please try and be more kind and compasionate over the weakness of others. We are all human and none of us would like to be judge for our mistakes at a time like this. Any who cant understand how innapropriate that is. I think you need to take a good look at yourself in the mirror.

I am not speaking as a mod here just as one fellow human being to another.
A Lover of Michael Jackson and all he stood for in this world. Love, compassion etc

Please read again

Brian Meldrum said his 65-year-old brother still had swelling of the brain after falling at his Richmond home about 6.30pm on Thursday.Molly was hanging decorations above a bar next to his pool to prepare for his annual Christmas party on Sunday.

His gardener found him unconscious and called emergency services, which arrived within 10 minutes.

His family last night declared he would fight "with every breath of his body".

Brian Meldrum said doctors needed to stabilise his brother's head injuries before they could tend
to his broken shoulder, fractured clavicle, fractured ribs, pierced lung and fractured vertebrae.

"They have him sedated. He will remain that way until early next week,"

It's tragic indeed. Having lost my Dad to a similar accident 2 months ago (he hit his head from a fall and died in hospital 8 days later :(), I can imagine how shocked and helpless Molly Meldrum's family feels right now. The waiting must be terrible. I hope he recovers soon.

To be fair to Molly Meldrum regarding some of the comments he made about Michael after he died, he doesn't once - to my knowledge, correct me if i'm wrong - say that Michael was a pedophile or a bad person or anything like that. He did make a few disparaging remarks about his appearance - but says he thinks Mike changed his appearance because he felt he had to.

At the end of the day, he seems to be ignorant of a lot of facts, especially regarding the change in Michael's skin colour - which was obviously due to vitiligo and not a deliberate intention to become lighter.

From the comments i've read, he hailed Michael Jackson as an incredible performer, said he was shy offstage, but completely different onstage. I've heard people say far worse things than Molly Meldrum. Regarding the '93 and '05 allegations, he doesn't say Mike was guilty, he just said that so many things were said that you wouldn't know what to believe. We know the truth, because we are dedicated fans who take the time to research the facts. Most other people do not.

Here is some of what he said:
Hearing about Michael Jackson’s sudden death catapulted Aussie music guru Molly Meldrumback to the day John Lennon was killed.

The cowboy hat-toting music critic, who had interviewed MJ many times, told MTV Australia: “When I heard the news it was the same shock that registered when I was told Lennon had been shot in New York City. Just last night someone asked me, ‘Do you think Michael’s (London concerts) will live up to his legend? I said, ‘Absolutely.’

“I was due to go to London in two and half weeks’ time and see him perform. Who knows what he had in store. Who knows what the world has lost now?”

The world-famous critic believes MJ is one star who truly deserved all the hype.

He said: “‘Iconic’, ‘superstar’ and ‘legend’ – those three words are totally overused at times but all three titles fitted Michael Jackson, not only as a performing artist or a recording artist but also as a songwriter, as a dancer and a film maker. He was a genius.”

On the topic of MJ’s troubled and seemingly lonely personal life, Molly added: “Was Michael sad and lonely? No, he lived in his own world that to you and I might seem sad perhaps, but Michael lived in Michael Jackson world and we’ll never know what that’s like.

“The Michael Jackson we’ve seen over the last 10 to 15 years, his life have been full of dramas, but in the end his music will live on. I will remember him as one of the greatest performers ever in my era of music.”

Some more:

On his death:
"It's one of those things, I am still trying to get my head around it."

Impressions:
"I try to explain to people, it's really hard to work out the Michael Jackson thing because he has always been a star, he has only even known since being eight years old, as being a star. He lives in the Michael Jackson world."

"Michael Jackson was in that stratosphere of your John Lennons, your Elvis Presleys you know. It's hard to believe he is not here and it is hard to believe he is about to come in his concerts in England and he has sold over 50 in London alone."

On Michael on not having a normal childhood:
"One has to remember that Jermaine and Randy and everyone else had a fairly normal upbringing. But Michael because of his father Joe, just had him rehearsing, rehearsing, day in day out in the house so he didn't really know the real world. And basically when he wasn't rehearsing he was watching shows like My Three Sons, Leave It To Beaver, The Partridge Family and whatever. One of his complexes was he felt the only way he was really going to make it in the world was to be basically a white artist. Which is horrendous! It's terrible, it's really sad.”

On Michael being fantastic entertainer and freak show:
"The thing is once he started doing all that plastic surgery, and then the whitening or whatever and then obviously all the other dramas in his personal life that went on and for any one of us it was surreal you know? Even the look of Michael Jackson seem without being cruel he started to look like one of the extras of the video Thriller."

Did Michael Jackson have a sad life?:
"I think it was a sad life in a sense. He didn’t know anything else and when you are a superstar at the age of 8 and that is all you have ever known in your life and you have to surround yourself with people, body guards, whatever, publicists that just have their own thoughts and everything. It would be very surreal. Thank god you and I can go to the footy and enjoy it you know and have a pie! I don't think that he's ever been able to do that!"

On the allegations in the 1990's and 2005:
"It just became a bizarre trail. It was hard to know where, what, and what was fact and what was fiction and that just compounded the whole weirdness of being a Michael Jackson in the world."

Last edited:
I was sad to read the comments Molly made after MJ's death that show he didnt understand and was not knowledgable about Michael or his life at all. Non the less it doesnt make him a bad person. Just a person ignorant of the facts.

The lack of compassion in some posts here bring tears to my eyes :cry: There is a time and place - a right thread and a right time to discuss his misconceptions. I just wish it wasnt done here. I had to actually remove a post that stated "What a bastard! Hope he will die soon." please try and be more kind and compasionate over the weakness of others. We are all human and none of us would like to be judge for our mistakes at a time like this. Any who cant understand how innapropriate that is. I think you need to take a good look at yourself in the mirror.

I am not speaking as a mod here just as one fellow human being to another.
A Lover of Michael Jackson and all he stood for in this world. Love, compassion etc

Please read again

Oh no, I just said I didn't have any RESPECT for him - as a human being he has my sympathy because nobody should have to suffer through something as awful as that. I sincerely hope he's okay, I mean he is an Australian icon and I'm sure he's a lovely guy.

MOLLY Meldrum may be making "baby steps" towards recovery
after opening his eyes several times while under sedation in hospital.

Meldrum's manager Mark Klemens said the 65-year-old former Countdown host had voluntarily opened his eyes several times on this morning, reported The Daily Telegraph.

He remains in an induced coma following a fall at his Melbourne home on Thursday, but his sedation levels were reduced overnight.
"Early this morning he did open and close his eyes several times, but nothing more than that. It was brief and just a small step," Mr Klemens said.
"It's terrific. It's a great step forward, but it's baby steps."

He said Meldrum's brother Brian was delighted at the news.
"Obviously he was just delighted to hear that and he is cautiously optimistic, as we all are. That's the only way we can be.

Meldrum fractured his skull when he fell three metres to the ground in the backyard of his Richmond home on Thursday night while putting up Christmas decorations on the roof of his elevated spa.

After doctors at The Alfred hospital reduced his sedation levels on last night, he briefly opened his eyes when asked, before voluntarily opening them several times on this morning.

Mr Klemens said he believes the swelling on Meldrum's brain has also subsided a little. Meldrum remains listed as critical but stable.

Fans have rallied with messages of support for the music guru, who hosted one of Australia's pioneering pop music shows, Countdown, in the 1970s and '80s and appeared regularly as a music reviewer and interviewer of rock stars on Hey Hey It's Saturday through the 1980s and '90s.
Meldrum's beloved St Kilda AFL team had a special training session on Tuesday at their old Moorabbin ground where fans could sign a "get well" book.

New St Kilda coach Scott Watters was hoping for Meldrum's recovery.
"Anyone who knows Molly knows the impact he's had on this footy club," Watters said.
"We just wish him all the best and hope there's a speedy recovery, but we're certainly all behind him."
Mr Klemens said Meldrum's relatives were delighted with the public support for his recovery.

"The family are so humbled and encouraged and really just so delighted by it," he said.
Tomorrow at 11am (AEDT), Melbourne's Federation Square will show SMS messages of support for Meldrum on its big screen and send the messages to The Alfred.

Fans are invited to text their messages through to Federation Square on 0428 520 347 between 9am and 12.30pm tomorrow.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...ll/story-e6frfn09-1226226350235#ixzz1h42m0TwW

Back