Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lenny Kravitz speaks very highly of Michael on 'Piers Morgan Tonight' 12/21/11 - SWEET WORDS :)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,044 Times in 1,173 Posts

Default Lenny Kravitz speaks very highly of Michael on 'Piers Morgan Tonight' 12/21/11 - SWEET WORDS :)

Here's the transcript Lenny is such a sweetheart.

CNN.com - Transcripts

MORGAN: Of all of the things that you've experienced in your extraordinary career and life, if I could give you five minutes to replay one of them again, what would it be? What's been the most magical? Forget women or children or births of a child. Obviously, that's different. But what's the career moment where if you had the chance, you'd relive it?

KRAVITZ: The career moment. Wow. You know, I -- I've had so many where I had to pinch myself.

MORGAN: What was the biggest pinch?

KRAVITZ: Being -- probably producing Michael Jackson. And there's been a lot of great ones, but that was something extraordinary.

MORGAN: What made it so extraordinary?

KRAVITZ: Well, the fact that, you know, I wouldn't be here today if I hadn't seen the Jackson Five when I was six years old. That was the first concert that I had ever been to. My father took me to Madison Square Garden to see them. And it changed everything.

The universe was a different place the next day. I was completely blown away by the music, the talent, the whole experience. And here I am in the studio. I had written a song for Michael. And he's standing there, telling me to be very hard on him, I want to do this exactly the way you see it, so stop me every time it's not the way you want it and so forth.

And we're just getting into it. We're working together. And we ended up spending, you know, a week together in the studio. It was just unbelievable.

MORGAN: What kind after man was he? For real.

KRAVITZ: I thought that he, first of all, was just a beautiful being. Extremely professional, a perfectionist. Still having the passion all those years later, you know? He would stay, work all day and night, come back the next day, all day and night. He hadn't lost that.

A great father. He was amazing with his children. I spent time with the kids. We were all in the studio. Zoe would come and we would all hang out together. He was a very good father. And he was funny. Very funny.

MORGAN: Great sense of humor.

KRAVITZ: We laughed all the time. And he could eat more than you think.

MORGAN: Really? He had all of the energy to burn off, all of the dancing.

KRAVITZ: Yeah.

MORGAN: Incredible talent. The greatest I've ever seen.

KRAVITZ: The greatest ever. I would agree with that.

MORGAN: How did you feel when you heard what happened to him? And there's sort of mixed thoughts from people that knew him well, that there was a kind of inevitability in the way his life was going, and that actually for somebody like Michael Jackson -- I don't want this to sound callus -- but actually not getting old may have been something that wouldn't have been his worst nightmare.

KRAVITZ: It was interesting. I heard you speaking to Jane Fonda about that. She had spoken about that. I mean, I was obviously devastated. I was blown away. I found out on stage in Scotland, as I was coming off and getting ready to go back on for an encore. And they told me and I had to go back out.

I mean, I -- it's -- it's extremely sad. I mean, I -- I was really looking forward to seeing him come back and do those shows, even though I knew, like, wow, 50 shows, that's -- that's really serious.

MORGAN: I mean, is his legacy going to be that, of our lifetime -- because you get the older generation saying Sammy Davis pretty well the greatest entertainer of that era, whatever. Do you think of our lifetime, Michael Jackson was the best?

KRAVITZ: Of course. You can't touch it.

MORGAN: The greatest naturally gifted, as you said earlier?

KRAVITZ: Yes.

MORGAN: Entertainer of them all?

KRAVITZ: Yes, completely. I think people -- people think about Michael Jackson and his solo career, which was obviously phenomenal. But the deepest genius I saw him in was when he was a child. I think that he was -- he was a child and he sang with the same talent and soul and intensity of an Aretha Franklin or a James Brown or any great vocalist.
    Last edited by MsCassieMollie; 22-12-2011 at 06:38 AM.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,056 Times in 4,285 Posts

Default Re: Lenny Kravitz speaks very highly of Michael on 'Piers Morgan Tonight' 12/21/11 - SWEET WORDS :)

That was awesome. I love to hear how those who worked with MJ or knew him all state the same thing
    That beyond his Mega talent he was a genuine kind generous and funny man and they all say GREAT
    Father.
    L.O.V.E. survives
    so we can Rock forever *

Blog Facebook Twitter Youtube Tumbler

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Lenny Kravitz speaks very highly of Michael on 'Piers Morgan Tonight' 12/21/11 - SWEET WORDS :)

love lenny. i love it when celebs talk about him strongly and unashamedly and with no 'buts' and 'if's'. thanks for posting

You are the moonlight, I am the spring, Our love's a sacred thing
    You know i always will love you

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,576 Times in 598 Posts

Thanks to Lenny for kind words, but I always feel sad when people see Michael just as great enternainer, but not a great creator, artist. For me his childhood work isn't even comparable to what he did as an adult, because as a child he merely performed whatever he was given, and the real beauty is in what he created. It's not his child's voice, but the unforgettable rythm of "Billie Jean", the haunting prayer of "Will You Be There", the magic of his music videos that make him a genius.

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,755 Times in 965 Posts

Lenny has always said nothing, but kind things about Michael. Love him for that

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,347 Times in 529 Posts

Thanks Lenny, you warmed my heart.

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Thanks for posting Lenny (great performer himself too, saw him a few weeks ago)
    "'Til the day we meet again; in my heart is where I'll keep you, friend."

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,296 Times in 518 Posts

Great way to start my morning. Thanks so much for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by morinen View Post
    Thanks to Lenny for kind words, but I always feel sad when people see Michael just as great enternainer, but not a great creator, artist. For me his childhood work isn't even comparable to what he did as an adult, because as a child he merely performed whatever he was given, and the real beauty is in what he created. It's not his child's voice, but the unforgettable rythm of "Billie Jean", the haunting prayer of "Will You Be There", the magic of his music videos that make him a genius.
    True, but since as a child, he was able to connect with Lenny to the extent he did, that in itself is part of his genuis. Michael may have just performed whatever he was given, but he did it in a manner as Smokey and Barry Gordy said, beyond his years. It wasn't just his child voice or his outrageous octaves, but his ability to convey emotion he as a child had not yet experienced. That's why many, especially other artists, marvel at his childhood talents, because as adults, they draw on actual experiences and depth of feelings to create. MJ hadn't even had those experiences or feelings yet, and he was still able to convey the emotions of them.

When you see children on these talent shows, you realize the difference. Some of the children truly have phenonmenal voices, but they don't have that ability to sell the emotion to the extent that MJ could. He was just gifted all over the place during every era of his career.
    Last edited by gerryevans; 22-12-2011 at 05:51 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gerryevans For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Glad this transcript is here because my DVR cut off just when Lenny Kravitz got to "Aretha Franklin". I watched most of this interview. It was very interesting. I agree that a lot of Michael's genius was evident when he was a child. I mean, he was just naturally gifted. He didn't have to be taught to sing so passionately and with so much emotion and soul and in tune and on key. He just somehow knew how. That is genius. Which lead to what he did later in life to create some of the greatest pop songs and give some of the greatest performances ever.

The other day I was visiting my mother and she had her radio on and the Jackson 5 was on with one of their Christmas songs. I said to my mother, "I would like to see Justin Beiber sing half as good as this right now." Nothing against Beiber but it's just plain to see the difference in the level of natural talent between Michael and everybody else. I remember even as a kid listening to Michael he touched me very much with the way he sang and I was just a kid lol.

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entryVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,462 Posts

wow thanks for posting
    indeed KIND words of a 'fellow artist'
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

‘ It’s better to fail in Originality than to succeed in Imitation’

_ Michael Jackson _

Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

What a lovely interview. I agree with Lenny that Michael was a genius performer when he was a child. He wasn't just good for a child, he was truly genius, period. By anyone's standards, for anyone of any age. However, I don't believe it was his deepest genius. Michael's artistry continued to grow and develop all through out his life. All the way up to the "This Is It", we see the unfolding of musical genius. It wasn't just singing and dancing. Michael mastered so many skills, then combined all this knowledge into something that was so utterly original it is nothing less than breath taking. I don't think Michael ever stopped growing and creating new and better ideas.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ultravioletrae For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 227
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

thank you for sharing
    "If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with"

crismjj

Here's the video where Lenny talks about Michael
    http://piersmorgan.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/22/clips-from-last-night-lenny-kravitz-on-michael-jackson-and-growing-up-with-a-groundbreaking-famous-mother/

M
    ichael and Lenny are my favorite singers, I love when Lenny talks about Michael, he's one of his idols. I saw an interview some time ago when Lenny said that he wanted to be the 6th Jackson 5 when he was a kid. So cute I love them both

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crismjj For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 146
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 517 Posts

18. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mjchris For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,044 Times in 1,173 Posts

Thanks for posting the clips you guys!