Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1555636465

Thread: MJ Estate Sues Tohme Tohme / Tohme Countersues / Tohme's Complaint [Merged]

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 572
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,155 Times in 1,494 Posts

Default Re: MJ Estate Sues Tohme Tohme / Tohme Countersues / Tohme's Complaint [Merged]

I'm reading on Twitter (from a fan) that this case has been settled today. Can't see anything in the news though, which seems odd. I'd have thought that press would be all over this case.

Fans who apparently attended the court hearing have said that the case was settled and the Jury dismissed. Settlement likely under seal.

Reason for settlement is apparently that Tohme did not have genuine Power of Attorney for Michael. It's possible this was the main 'fact' that the Estate wished to establish. Tohme may have received some money for his management endeavours with MJ, but anything he did under Power of Attorney may not be legitimate.

Curious that after months of MJ being the 'only news in town' (and the case being signalled in advance by LA Times ec) , there still seems to be no news about this case in the media.
    Last edited by myosotis; 23-05-2019 at 08:31 AM.
    'We may not change the world in one day but we still can change some things today, in our small way.'[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: MJ Estate Sues Tohme Tohme / Tohme Countersues / Tohme's Complaint [Merged]

Quote Originally Posted by myosotis View Post
    I'm reading on Twitter (from a fan) that this case has been settled today. Can't see anything in the news though, which seems odd. I'd have thought that press would be all over this case.

Fans who apparently attended the court hearing have said that the case was settled and the Jury dismissed. Settlement likely under seal.

Reason for settlement is apparently that Tohme did not have genuine Power of Attorney for Michael. It's possible this was the main 'fact' that the Estate wished to establish. Tohme may have received some money for his management endeavours with MJ, but anything he did under Power of Attorney may not be legitimate.

Curious that after months of MJ being the 'only news in town' (and the case being signalled in advance by LA Times ec) , there still seems to be no news about this case in the media.

I heard this too but was sceptical.
    But if what you say is true and the news came from a fan in the court room then I guess I believe it.

Shame really because Tohme was a crook and I don't like the idea of him getting any more than the minimum due for his work.

I hope the settlement was far less than requested.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MJTruth For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Some stories about it coming through.

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 350
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsThree FriendsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,143 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MJTruth View Post
    I heard this too but was sceptical.
    But if what you say is true and the news came from a fan in the court room then I guess I believe it.

Shame really because Tohme was a crook and I don't like the idea of him getting any more than the minimum due for his work.

I hope the settlement was far less than requested.
    Give him a could of buck so he can get going. Sometimes it is worth it.
    Mike's PYT

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Michael Jackson's Ex-Manager and Estate Settle Dispute Mid-Trial

Tohme Tohme sued the estate in 2012 claiming he was owed commission, a cut of 'This Is It' and a finder's fee for a Neverland Ranch loan.

Michael Jackson's estate and his former manager Tohme Tohme have settled a long-running dispute over whether he was owed commission from as far back as 2008.

Tohme in 2012 sued the estate, claiming he was owed a 15 percent commission on money Jackson made during the last year of his life, a cut of This Is It revenues and a finder's fee for a loan that stopped Neverland Ranch from going into foreclosure. The estate had argued Tohme was terminated before Jackson's death and that he breached his fiduciary duty, among other claims. The trial began May 14, but ended after just five days in court.

The parties on Thursday sent The Hollywood Reporter this joint statement: "The Estate of Michael Jackson and Jackson’s former manager, Tohme Tohme, confirm that they have amicably settled a lawsuit that had been underway in the Santa Monica Superior Court. The Estate acknowledges his efforts on Michael’s behalf. The confidential settlement marks a resolution to an almost decade-long contractual dispute."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/th...-trial-1213311

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Jackson’s estate, former manager settle lawsuit

LOS ANGELES >> A years-long lawsuit between Michael Jackson’s estate and one of the superstar’s former managers has been settled, ending one of the final legal fights over the King of Pop’s assets.

The confidential settlement announced today with Tohme R. Tohme, Jackson’s manager in the last year of his life, was reached after a trial had been underway for five days. It comes a month short of the 10th anniversary of Jackson’s death.

Tohme had sought nearly $20 million from the Jackson estate in the lawsuit filed in 2012, saying he was entitled to a 15% commission on funds generated by deals he arranged for Jackson that were received after Jackson’s death in June 2009.

The Jackson estate held that Tohme’s contract terminated with the singer’s death and he was entitled only to a percentage of income Jackson himself received while he was alive.

“The estate acknowledges his efforts on Michael’s behalf,” today’s joint statement from the two sides said of Tohme.

Before trial began, Judge Mark A. Young dismissed part of the lawsuit in which Tohme sought some of the profits of the concert film “This Is It,” which was released after Jackson’s death.

Tohme also claimed he was due a finder’s fee for securing a 2008 loan, which prevented foreclosure on Jackson’s Neverland Ranch and prompted Jackson to ask Tohme to be his manager.

Tohme, a Los Angeles native of Lebanese descent who is in his late 60s, was a little-known financier when he dropped suddenly into Jackson’s life via his brother Jermaine.

“For the last year and a half I was the closest person to Michael Jackson,” Tohme told the Associated Press in an interview shortly after Jackson’s death.

He was regarded as something of a mystery man to observers of Jackson and those around him.

“I hate the words ‘mystery man,’” Tohme told the AP. “I’m a private man. A lot of people like the media and I don’t. I’m a self-made man. I’m in the world of finance.”

Tohme said when he first met Jackson, they bonded instantly and remained very close until the singer’s death at age 50 the following year.

“I saw how kind he was and what a wonderful human being,” Tohme said in an interview. “I saw him with his children and I had never seen a better father. … I decided to do what I could to help him.”

The legal battles among those seeking a piece of Jackson’s estate, most of which goes to his three children, have slowly diminished in the last decade.

Lawsuits against the estate filed in 2013 by two men who alleged Jackson molested them were dismissed, but are scheduled to have their appeals heard later this year.

Jackson’s family and estate have vehemently denied the allegations by Wade Robson and James Safechuck, which resurfaced in the HBO documentary “Leaving Neverland” earlier this year. The estate is suing HBO over the documentary.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/...ettle-lawsuit/
    Last edited by myosotis; 23-05-2019 at 11:13 PM.
    'We may not change the world in one day but we still can change some things today, in our small way.'[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,307 Times in 713 Posts

"The estate acknowledges his efforts on Michael's behalf." Big, big oof from me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothGangsta For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 230
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 517 Posts

Shame it took 10 years etc and a nice pay check for the lawyers involved to have wait till now to settle

10. The Following User Says Thank You to elusive moonwalker For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

what is his real name?? i dont get it.. "tohme tohme" is not a real name! what a coward to always go public with this pseudonym... and even the press and courthouse calls him with this fake name????
    30.01.2006 - My personal MJ-DAY! Thank you, Michael!

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Wait, I thought that was his real name? I think it's an Indian name. (From India, not Native American.) It might look a little funny because of how it repeats, but that doesn't make it not a real name.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Looks like the Tohme case may be 'unsettled' again....... I wonder how the non-disparagement clause got missed out considering it's a big part of the current HBO trial. You would think it was hard to forget.

The Michael Jackson Estate refused to pay Tohme Tohme his settlement money unless he agreed to a non-disparagement clause.

A seven-year-old lawsuit between Michael Jackson's estate and his former manager Tohme Tohme appears to be back on with a Los Angeles Superior Court judge refusing to enforce an oral settlement agreement.

Tohme was one of the last managers for Jackson before the superstar died in 2009. He sued the estate, claiming he was owed a 15 percent commission on money Jackson made during the last year of his life, a cut of This Is It revenues and a finder's fee for a loan that stopped Neverland Ranch from going into foreclosure.

In May, a trial began — one that explored Jackson's final days and the estate's contention that Tohme got Jackson to sign an unconscionable agreement and stole money from the performer.

Then five days into trial, the parties settled in open court. Or so it appeared, with the parties sending The Hollywood Reporter a joint statement about the "amicable" resolution.

But after the lawyers read the material terms of the settlement to the judge (and then had the transcripts sealed), according to court documents, the Michael Jackson Estate refused to pay Tohme his settlement money unless he agreed to a non-disparagement clause and an agreement to not sue again.

So without payment, Tohme asked the judge to enforce the terms of the settlement.

"The settlement terms did not include a non-disparagement clause or an agreement not to sue," writes Mark A. Young in his ruling. "However, the law requires the settling parties’ presence in order for an oral agreement to be enforceable under §664.6. Counsel, and not the parties themselves, were present when the terms of the settlement agreement were stated before the court."

The judge adds that Tohme can file a new lawsuit aiming to enforce the settlement agreement. But Young won't quickly do as Tohme asks. In the meantime, the ex-manager's 2012 suit seeking about $20 million remains active. And Tohme is apparently free to disparage his ex-client.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/th...source=twitter
    Last edited by myosotis; 18-10-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First Class3 months registered5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thanks

Default Deleted

Deleted
    Last edited by NatureCriminal7896; 18-10-2019 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Double Post

a female with depression,generalized anxiety,who is intellectual delay with other mental delays

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

This ****ing thug just won't go away, will he?
    We shall always love you, Michael!

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,614 Times in 1,536 Posts

Tohme Tohme is a cold man...
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Ahess/videos - me dancing MJ - many years ago.

I would be really glad if you rated or/and commented the videos. Thanks

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 350
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsThree FriendsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,143 Times in 1,401 Posts

Why would he refuse to sign the agreement unless he plan to tell lies and talk about MJ. Sit down fool. At this point, NO ONE can say nothing about MJ. It is now tiresome and is now backfiring.
    Mike's PYT

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First Class3 months registered5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hess View Post
    Tohme Tohme is a cold man...

a female with depression,generalized anxiety,who is intellectual delay with other mental delays