Consuming Kids: The Commercialization of Childhood

If I ever get a child I would let the child have no phones or any way of connection to the technology. I want my kid to see the REAL LIFE. Take my child to the forrest, beach, have so much time with them as possible, travel with them, let them research small things as plants, you know all these important stuff. Kinda hard to explain but u know what i mean.

Me too.

An issue these days, yes. It comes with a changing world. I'm not sure if it is "evil" per se, or if it is just us viewing it through that lens because it is part of our changing reality, but at the very least there should be severe regulations on advertisements of all fronts, especially those aimed at children. Psychology is heavily relied upon in these marketing campaigns, of course, and I think that grants them an unfair advantage over the lay men, especially children.

I'm not sure comparing child psychologists to pedophiles is fair, though. While some pedophiles can study up on psychology and become very able child psychologists, they are not innately in tune with the psychology of children, which is why you see some of them obtain their prey in some very brutish ways.

However, child psychology as any other form of psychology can be used to help children or to their detriment, and those who specialize in that field need to set their priorities accordingly.

Indeed, its HORRIBLE how they 'treat' kids these days...
I guess, NO ONE has learnt a thing from Michael, you know.... which is so sad and frustrating...

Okay, I like 'technology' but I was brought up with no internet, no cell phone, 'customized' TV watching...
In that light of how they 'abuse' the kids these days, I should be glad that I can't 'conceive' any kids that can be 'abused' for commercial stuff...

If I had a son or a daughter... He or she would NOT be allowed to watch all this crap on TV... I would take him/her also to the forest, beach and really spend time with them... Teach them the 'finest' things in life and NOT fill them with negative and destructive energy...

Makes me think of a girl I once cared for in a day care centre... She was two and NOT allowed to watch TV but only play and she was treated like an 'outcast' by the other care takers which I thought was a 'shame' ... She was NOT aggressive... she was kind and she had quite an 'imagination' to play...

I think Generation O doesn't like 'imaginably" people cause it's a 'threat' to their 'superiority' right?

I will NEVER work in a day care centre any more as its so BLAH how they treat the kids there...

Anyway, people forget that their children are the future... IF you don't care for your child HOW do you expect that the child will care for you once you're old????

My sister spent her entire childhood being a consumer, basically. She plays with her Nintendo DS and has an iPod, a cell phone, a Nook, etc. none of which she needs. I can't recall her ever doing anything halfway imaginative or intelligent and she spends the bulk of her time watching the Disney channel on TV, which mostly broadcasts shows about bratty, unimaginative, materialistic teens.

Is it any surprise, then, that she's bratty, unimaginative, and materialistic? Not really. I tried to fight against it and teach her to do better things, but my mother's iron fist and her father's monetary influence won out, so she's a vegetable now and I loathe spending time with her, whereas once I actually enjoyed playing with her, etc. The mother blames this change in our relationship on me, as I suppose everything is my fault, but am I to expect anything else when she, too, is unimaginative and materialistic?

The issue is that children as well as their parents are mesmerized by the instant gratification of technology and thus are easily influenced by advertisements. Our society as a whole is deeply materialistic and unimaginative--case in point the stressed importance of so-called "education." Commercialized education which teaches you nothing other than to follow the system and jump through hoops. Does college teach you imagination? Not that I can recall. They sell the relevance of a degree to join a grey world and soon enough you will need three degrees, all equally useless, to get by in the world. And your child will need the latest useless technology, of course.

And we will all die knowing nothing. The End.

The only caveat I would insert are for the sciences and mathematics. You want those people to go to school, since the professions are so technical. But these days we get all our scientists and mathematicians from Russia, India, and China, so I guess that's an empty point to make. -shrugs-

Useless school is useless in Amerika because Amerika rolls on Dunkin' and little children pop Ritalin and Adderall with their morning Captn' Crunch while their college-aged counterparts snort the same before the Big Test, only to forget the information being tested for within a week of its completion. Also, everyone buy iPods and relish in that delicious pink paste they serve at your kids' schools. Mmmmmm. Amorphous meals are my favourite.

And it boggles my mind how they can afford brand new scoreboards, fields, and football uniforms for the resident d-----g jocks but cannot afford anything better than pink paste to serve to the rest of the inmates, I mean, students.

I'm a chipper one today, you can just tell.

Last edited:
I'm glad I don't watch TV anymore.. Tv really distract you from the interesting and beauty of life...
Television... Tel-e-vision.. (Tell a Vision) program... They are TELLing you a VISION on a PROGRAM. You are being programmed

Would you guys please share this video on Facebook?

Back