Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: In your opinion - What is Michael's Worst Song?

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Michael's Worst Song?

2000 watts

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entryTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran

"Please hold. All muses are busy right now, but your inspiration is important to us..."
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,796 Times in 560 Posts

Hm, 'worst' song makes me hesitant, wished this was worded differently. Not because I think that any musician is blessed with musical 'infallibility'= that even happens to a Beethoven...
    Just because 'worst' is such an odd way to describe a musician's music- a musician who above all had TASTE, which is a rare thing. He rode a fine line between innovation, mainstream appeal, keeping it short enough for his attention span shrinking contemporaries, overloaded that attention span in songs like "Ghosts" etc, could be cheesy and calculated as heck and cringe worthy, too- all while moving an audience. It takes taste to accomplish all that.

A song that doen't hit home with me is "Don't walk away"- I simply cringe throughout the entire song, I don't even know why. The topic? No idea. Or maybe that's exactly the reaction that was intended??:ph34r::wild: If you're already pretty made up to end a relationship- someone on their knees is gonna make you cringe.

When it comes to songs he participated in: "All In Your Name". While I'm thrilled that we got some footage and am sure they had a lovely time together- that is definitely a song that makes me cry "WHY???????" :*****:
    The lyrics are okay with me, the chorus is very nice- the vocals completely put me off and I understand why it didn't see the light of day earlier. It feels like BOTH are screeching at their upper range and that just doesn't make for comfortable listening. There, I said it. And there's a reason that song stayed in the dark.

Btw, I totally and utterly adore non-praised songs like "Can't Let Her Get Away"- it's completely non-mainstream compatible and pushes the entire envelope of 'how is a contemporary song being constructed', not to mention that the frustration of "who knows the situation, mysteries still remain" is catchy as heck!
    “And the sun and the moon sometimes argue over who will tuck me in at night. If you think I am having more fun than anyone on this planet, you are absolutely correct.” ― Hafez

“It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive.” C. W. Leadbeater

BUMPER SNIPPET

Lol, if every single fan gives a different title of the "worst" song, the global answer results in the funny situation that ALL MJ songs are weak and bad. Just saying

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BUMPER SNIPPET For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BUMPER SNIPPET View Post
    Lol, if every single fan gives a different title of the "worst" song, the global answer results in the funny situation that ALL MJ songs are weak and bad. Just saying
    Lol true.

I'm not a fan of both Burn This Disco Out and Girlfriend. BTDO doesn't hit anything with me and Girlfriend just annoys me. Worst song in reality? Privacy, Cry, or 2000 Watts possibly. None of them touch me in any way although I do love the use of MJ's deeper voice in 2000 Watts.

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Depends on how you want to look at it. Music is subjective, true, and if you want to take every single song posted in this thread into consideration you will eventually conclude, as you did, that all his song are indeed the "worst". But if you want the general consensus of a community (in this case, this discussion board) Then you WILL come up with a concise, objective list of what the community considers as his worst songs by taking only the song that frequent more than others. Even though we are still in the third page a few candidates have indeed began to stand out. They don't necessarily reflect your personal opinion. But it does reflect this community's opinion as a whole.

BUMPER SNIPPET

Quote Originally Posted by ASIS View Post
    Depends on how you want to look at it. Music is subjective, true, and if you want to take every single song posted in this thread into consideration you will eventually conclude, as you did, that all his song are indeed the "worst". But if you want the general consensus of a community (in this case, this discussion board) Then you WILL come up with a concise, objective list of what the community considers as his worst songs by taking only the song that frequent more than others. Even though we are still in the third page a few candidates have indeed began to stand out. They don't necessarily reflect your personal opinion. But it does reflect this community's opinion as a whole.
    But the prob is that not every single MJ fan posts inhere. So, you will never be able to conclude which song is the worst. And by the way, worst for what? For not matching the taste of the majority? The majority is not equal to objectivity. So it's a dead-end.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second Class25000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: In your opinion - What is Michael's Worst Song?

This Time Around for me.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

But the prob is that not every single MJ fan posts inhere. So, you will never be able to conclude which song is the worst. And by the way, worst for what? For not matching the taste of the majority? The majority is not equal to objectivity. So it's a dead-end.
    That is precisely why i said that this thread is a reflection of this board. It won't be 100% until every fan posts, true, but it does give an indication. And by worst the OP means the worst song in comparison to Michael Jackson's standards. It doesn't mean that the songs are bad but they are of lower standards than his other work. Finally, I never said the majority will equal objectivity, in fact I said that your opinion shouldn't reflect the list that is showing on other people's posts. But I can safely say that the majority of the people who posted on this thread believe This Time Around, Can't Let Her Get Away, or The Lost Children to be some of Michael's worst songs. That is a statement that cannot be denied and hence, is an objective one.

BUMPER SNIPPET

That is precisely why i said that this thread is a reflection of this board. It won't be 100% until every fan posts, true, but it does give an indication. And by worst the OP means the worst song in comparison to Michael Jackson's standards. It doesn't mean that the songs are bad but they are of lower standards than his other work. Finally, I never said the majority will equal objectivity, in fact I said that your opinion shouldn't reflect the list that is showing on other people's posts. But I can safely say that the majority of the people who posted on this thread believe This Time Around, Can't Let Her Get Away, or The Lost Children to be some of Michael's worst songs. That is a statement that cannot be denied and hence, is an objective one.

Um that objectivity could easily be reversed by those who are to post, if they post.

Now clearly if we played "The Lost Children" in a disco bar and "2000 Watts" to grand parents at X-mas, something would be wrong. But if we reverse the situations, it'd create much more approriate atmosphere.

Michael sang "The Lost Children" to his own children. I am sure he'd disagree that it's a weak song despite what the community on this board says.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BUMPER SNIPPET For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Um that objectivity could easily be reversed by those who are to post, if they post.

Now clearly if we played "The Lost Children" in a disco bar and "2000 Watts" to grand parents at X-mas, something would be wrong. But if we reverse the situations, it'd create much more approriate atmosphere.

Michael sang "The Lost Children" to his own children. I am sure he'd disagree that it's a weak song despite what the community on this board says.
    I'm not sure you quite understood what I'm trying to say. The songs cannot be factually weak, that goes against the first rule of music, what one could consider garbage is a treasure to another. I'm strictly talking about a community's perception to a song. Taking the example you posted, the communities would consider those songs to be weak because they are not quite the type of songs said communities are looking for,their perception is a fact to them, but does that mean the songs themselves are inherently weak? There is no possible way to determine that.

PS. I think The Lost Children to be one of MJ's best compositions but alas that's not what the members at the board seem to think.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ASIS For This Useful Post:

BUMPER SNIPPET

I'm not sure you quite understood what I'm trying to say. The songs cannot be factually weak, that goes against the first rule of music, what one could consider garbage is a treasure to another. I'm strictly talking about a community's perception to a song. Taking the example you posted, the communities would consider those songs to be weak because they are not quite the type of songs said communities are looking for,their perception is a fact to them, but does that mean the songs themselves are inherently weak? There is no possible way to determine that.

PS. I think The Lost Children to be one of MJ's best compositions but alas that's not what the members at the board seem to think.
    Well, ok, that was my point since the beginning.

Achievements:
    Three Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Bad.

Sorry

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Well, ok, that was my point since the beginning.
    I was just trying to show you that subjectivity can have a on objective outcome and vice versa. The two are not mutually exclusive. If that's what you meant from your posts then yeah I think I've wasted both our times but that wasn't the impression I got. That's all. :P

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,771 Times in 2,791 Posts

Butterflies
    Privacy
    You Are My ife

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 993
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,246 Times in 405 Posts

I can't believe so many people have said The Lost Children, it's beautiful!

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to KingMikeJ For This Useful Post: