In your opinion - What is Michael's Worst Song?

The Moonwalker

Proud Member
It's been a long time since I posted here, but I was just over on Prince.org and saw a thread discussing what the fans considered to be Prince's worst song; this isn't meant to turn this into an MJ v P thread as we've had plenty of those and this isn't meant to be a P bashing thread either.

I'm sure there'll be the fans out there who say that Michael's music is the best thing ever in the world and so none of songs are bad, but surely we must have our least favourites? Those songs that, when you hear them you can't help but see the colour red.

So I ask, in your opinion, which is Michael Jackson's worst song?

I'll go first

The Lost Children
or
You Are My Life

Re: Michael's Worst Song?

There is one? lol

Dunno, but for me it's definately not You Are My Life. Some say it's weak song, but I love it.

It's The Falling In Love.

Bleeeh. Only song I could think of that really sucks.

^^I agree. It's The Falling In Love is probably the worst. Also, 2000 Watts and Girlfriend.

For me they are the following in order:
Can't let her get away
Privacy
It's the falling in love
Just Good Friends

They are not "bad" songs, but they are incredibly weak in comparison to his usual work IMO.

2000 Watts was kind of ruined by Teddy's orgasm throughout the song. It had better potential. As for Girlfriend, it's OK. I don't hate it, it's a sweet song.

Nonesense. When MJ released an album it became automatically a "best of" lol. Look at BAD for example, out of 11 songs, 10 were hits and only one was not released on video "Just Good Friends", but it doesn't mean that it was a bad song, but just radio not friendly.

As far as other songs are concerned, and as far as I am concerned, NONE of MJ's songs are bad or least favorite. When I listen too much to some of the songs, I switch back to the others, and so on.

Even the J5 and the Jacksons songs are all good. Sorry, but MJ's voice and style is so unique that he could record a song with an orchestra slamming the kettles, dishes, plates and the cuttlery in a subway station and sing random notes improvising the text, it would still be a good song. And no, I am not exagerating, I'd pay for such a song.

Can't Let Her Get Away
Burn This Disco Out
Bad

BUMPER, I do agree with you about MJ sounding great no matter what, but It's The Falling In Love always makes me sick for some reason. The intro to the song makes me wanna puke, there's just so much wrong with the song. I LIKE when MJ sings in it though.

BUMPER, I do agree with you about MJ sounding great no matter what, but It's The Falling In Love always makes me sick for some reason. The intro to the song makes me wanna puke, there's just so much wrong with the song. I LIKE when MJ sings in it though.

I've never ever had any disgust when listening to any of MJ's song, so although I am aware that people don't have same tastes, I cannot understand how a fan -with all due respect- can dislike a MJ song.

None of them make me see red. Even the worst of Michael's songs beats the utter sh-t that's on the radio these days by a long shot. With that said, 2,000 Watts was kind of pointless, so I guess I'd pick that one.

P.S. I LOVE "The Lost Children." ?

cute%2Bmeme.png

MJ's songs are not weak. Michael's originality resides in the fact that he knew music very well. He was juggling with it. By doing so he managed to touch all kinds of public. Some songs are more jazzy, some songs are more rocky, some more poppy, some more funky, some more with influence of classical music, some more Christmas-like, some more bluesy, some more disco-ey, etc.

He perfectly knew what he was doing. And of course, if he touched so many people with his music, it is because he was the master in his art. The problem is that people don't like all kinds of music (contrary to MJ). So, inevitabely, if people don't like some styles, they in all logic won't like the same kind of style MJ did.

As far as I am concerned, I didn't always like all kinds of music. But I so wanted to understand Michael's art, that I started to listen to all the styles of music I could and tried to understand it. Once you get to understand some styles, you understand what MJ was doing with his songs and most importantly why some songs were sung the way we hear them on the recordings.

Even if Michael hadn't recorded absolutely all kinds of styles, he was present on them leaving a trace (background vocals) on some styles of music such as in Kenny Rogers' country song or on a reagge song (that I forgot the title (but we can agree that Liberian Girl sounds a bit reagge-ish).

Today, with Internet, everything goes so fast that I have impression people are less patient to listen thoroughly to some MJ's songs. Without Internet there were no leaks and people had years of listening to MJ's songs (and discover a single breath or note) before new stuff was released. Now, people just listen once and click "I like" or "I dislike" button on Youtube and that's about it.

my 'least favourites' are It's the falling in love, this time around and streetwalker
I don't say those are bad songs, but I just don't like listening to them...

Last edited:

I've never ever had any disgust when listening to any of MJ's song, so although I am aware that people don't have same tastes, I cannot understand how a fan -with all due respect- can dislike a MJ song.
That's pretty easy. You don't have to like everything in order to be a fan. Not everything Michael did was perfect when it came to his art. I think almost everything he did was perfect though, but I'm speaking for other people.

By the way, I know every line, every breath, hiccups, hees, whoos, etc. in every MJ song starting around Destiny era, so I think I am qualified to say that I know most of his songs and listen to them.

I still don't like ITFIL. Maybe a solo version would make things better. Patti Austin makes it so much worse..

I play Girlfriend when I'm in a happy mood!

My face when I listen to it:
70db4f_1159810.jpg

That's pretty easy. You don't have to like everything in order to be a fan. Not everything Michael did was perfect when it came to his art. I think almost everything he did was perfect though, but I'm speaking for other people.

By the way, I know every line, every breath, hiccups, hees, whoos, etc. in every MJ song starting around Destiny era, so I think I am qualified to say that I know most of his songs and listen to them.

I still don't like ITFIL. Maybe a solo version would make things better. Patti Austin makes it so much worse..

I didn't question your fandom. I just said tastes are subjective. I think that Patti Austin's voice melt well with MJ's in that song.

Michael wasn't perfect, but he was a perfectionist. He touched a bit of everything regarding music. Some people prefer his Motown era, some Off The Wall, some Thriller and so on.

As much as it is difficult to agree on which song is the worst it is difficult to agree on which song is the best due to the fact that his songs are difficult to compare because of different styles.

Personally, I thinks it's incredibly naiive to say that all of Michael's songs are perfect and brilliant.

What I sometimes feel is that a lot of fans forget that Michael was just a musician, just like Madonna, Elvis, Prince etc... he wasn't perfect.

I'm a huge Prince fan, but yet it's still okay to say that some of his songs, hell even whole albums, are terribly bad.

As fantastic as 98% of Michael's catalogue is, there will always be the 2% that just isn't as strong, be it commercially or down to its listenability.

Just my opinion, and of course people who think Michael's music is flawless are entitled to think so...I'm just saying my piece.

:)

Personally, I thinks it's incredibly naiive to say that all of Michael's songs are perfect and brilliant.

What I sometimes feel is that a lot of fans forget that Michael was just a musician, just like Madonna, Elvis, Prince etc... he wasn't perfect.

I'm a huge Prince fan, but yet it's still okay to say that some of his songs, hell even whole albums, are terribly bad.

As fantastic as 98% of Michael's catalogue is, there will always be the 2% that just isn't as strong, be it commercially or down to its listenability.

Just my opinion, and of course people who think Michael's music is flawless are entitled to think so...I'm just saying my piece.

:)

As I said, Michael wasn't perfect, but he was a perfectionist. He knew music and he knew what he was doing. We're the ones who aren't as qualified as MJ himself to understand it.

I'll give you a concrete example. When I saw Smooth Criminal video for the first time I loved it, but I had no clue why the dancers and himself all of sudden stopped dancing and started to hum, sigh and scream. Later on when I saw MJ giving the directions behind the scenes and the meaning of it, it became clear.

Our analysis is poor compared to MJ's expression through the maze of music.

This time around
Can't let her get away

He was a genius and it is not a question for me.
Yes, I can say I don't like this song or that one, but this is only my opinion.
Music is so subjective and I think there is not an objective benchmark.

ITFIL, JGF & Superfly Sister, YAML & Lost Children,

Heaven can Wait
Superfly Sister
Little Susie
Can't let her get away
------
The girl is mine
ITFIL

*gasp*

^^ Little Susie is a masterpiece! Probably one of his best songs.

Privacy, 2000 Watts, Girlfriend, History, The Lost Children
...let's say i could live without them. haha

---

And someone said Heaven Can Wait... God, i love that song, it's so powerfull, one of my favorites!

Back