A Message from the Estate Of Michael Jackson Re Wembley concert DVD Quality [Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.
DATE: MAY 31, 2012
RE: BAD 25 RELEASE

It is great to see the overwhelming support and excitement in the fan community for the upcoming BAD 25 release. A few questions have arisen regarding the Wembley concert DVD. Although the press release wasn’t the place for background details, here is more information:

• We know that Nocturne captured on Umatic tapes the footage projected onto the JumboTrons at the various concerts including Wembley. These tapes were turned over to Michael’s crew and we have confirmed with Patrick Kelly (who headed Michael’s film crew for the European tour) that everything from Europe was sent to LA to be put in Michael’s storage facilities. The same procedures were followed for the US shows.

• Unfortunately, record-keeping in the storage facilities was sporadic, at best, so we do not know what happened to a tape once it was sent for storage. In most cases, once a tape was pulled from the box it arrived in, it was not put back in the original box and where it wound up doesn’t always make sense. As a result, 25 years later not all of the Umatic tapes from the various shows can be located, notwithstanding that we have conducted an extensive survey of all of the storage facilities. So while we believe that the Umatic tape for Wembley was initially sent for storage, we have not been able to locate it. And with regard to the Umatic footage of other concerts, the audio is extremely problematic and therefore these concerts are unusable.

• We know that VHS copies of the Umatics were made when Michael wanted to view a particular concert, but because of the lack of record-keeping, we also didn’t know which concerts existed on VHS. We ultimately did find Michael’s personal VHS viewing copy of the Wembley show attended by Princess Diana and Prince Charles, but not the Umatic. Even finding this VHS felt like a miracle to us!

• So while we continued the search for the Wembley Umatic master, we also researched the audio recordings that existed from all of the concerts including Wembley. Fortunately, the Wembley audio recordings were made using a sound truck, and appear to be the only multi-track recordings from the tour. The other audio/visual recordings that exist, whether Umatic or VHS, are “front of house” mixes, and therefore there are no separate audio recordings that can be used to create a high quality listening experience. It is for this reason that the Wembley audio is the only one suitable to create a live album.

• If we were going to include a live concert DVD in the BAD 25 release package, we had only one choice, Wembley. And there were only two options for visual – the Umatics for a different show or the VHS for Wembley. It would certainly be less expensive for the Estate to be able to create a DVD from a Umatic tape than to spend the time and money to painstakingly restore/enhance the VHS footage, but then we would not be delivering a truly authentic experience and we truly believe that watching this concert with the high quality audio will create a magical experience for all the fans as it has for us. We ultimately chose a lab that has developed its own proprietary technology for doing this kind of work (including restoration for NASA of VHS footage) in order to make the visual experience the best it can be under the circumstances.

We also could have chosen to release the Japanese concert from the first leg of the tour as there is a master of that show; but that concert was essentially a reincarnation of the Victory Tour with only two songs – “Bad” and “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” – added at the end. It isn’t what we believe the fans would want.

We could have elected not to release a DVD as part of the BAD 25 celebration (and hold out hope that someday we might find the Umatic of the Wembley concert) or we could share with the fans the chance to relive that magical night with pristine audio. We made the decision to go with the latter and provide the fans with the most authentic viewing experience. We believe that the fans will agree it was the right choice when the package is released in September.

Re: A Message from the Estate Of Michael Jackson Re Wembley concert DVD Quality

Brilliant from the Estate, keep the faith guys

It's a shame the tapes weren't stored better, we are fortunate to get what we're getting as it stands, maybe in the future the master tapes will show up and they can re-release it in even better quality :)

Does that meant for Bad Tour only or other MJs tours too?

----

Well, so I think we still have hope for a Blu-Ray release in the future, maybe far, but who knows... Glad the Estate send this message!

Great decision. 100000000% support of the estate's decision.

They are doing the best they can..and it's sad that people keep criticizing their every move.

It's not their fault the masters cannot be located. MJ's entourage changed so many times over the years....a mess.

But I am glad we are getting what we will be getting.

BRING ON BAD TOUR DVD

I think fans are right to press for the best possible quality and good for the Estate to set the record straight and let us know that that is exactly what we're getting. I can't wait for this dvd!

They have the master of one of the Japanese concerts? I would happily buy a Yokohama BluRay^^
But thanks to the Estate for clearing things up what happened to most masters.

About time they adressed the issues here, however of course, this brings up even more questions... What about the concerts that were shot on 35mm and 16mm?

Thanks Sirs of the Estate :angel:

Miracles happen indeed...

There is still hope for a blu ray quality.... maybe for the 30th anniversary.

But for now, this was the BEST decision.

Ok, that's much more reassuring! Thanks! I really hope they do the best job they can and I really hope they one day dig out that master and re create the magic on blu-ray some day!

But this news is rather reassuring! Yeah! :)

I love how they take time to let us know! Much appreciated.

Gaz;3649893 said:
If we were going to include a live concert DVD in the BAD 25 release package, we had only one choice, Wembley. And there were only two options for visual – the Umatics for a different show or the VHS for Wembley.

It should say "If we were going to include a live concert CD" otherwise it doesn't make sense as they are clearly talking about the audio and visual separately.

And it still doesn't address the issue of where the actual 35mm and 16mm film is nor does it say whether the promo clip represented the final quality or not. They say they chose this lab in past tense, which would suggest the remastering has been done so the promo clip probably was final quality.

Last edited:

There is hope. Maybe one day they will find this master tape, and then we will get the blu ray release. I am quite impressed with the estate response, they listened to our concerns and addressed everything.

Thank you Estate for your clarity, honesty, and promptness to responding to fans. I really appreciate this information and I am happy ot know that you guys are doing the best you can for the fans, this is a real treat and Im very excited for this release!

Well the tape may not be stored right as they stated, but at least it's a miracle.

I can't believe we were this close not to get anything at all...Thank God MJ saved his VHS copy.

Last edited:

I see this BAD Tour DVD release as an intermediate temporary release. All I hope is that they continue to search till they find the master films.

I want to see the trailer for the actual DVD before I decide if I'm going to buy it. I appreciate the letter from the Estate but they didn't answer the main question - picture quality. Is the picture quality in trailer restored or before restoration. If it is before, they should release the trailer of the final product after restoration so we could see what we are buying.

About time they adressed the issues here, however of course, this brings up even more questions... What about the concerts that were shot on 35mm and 16mm?

it's obvious, they don't have them.

It should say "If we were going to include a live concert CD" otherwise it doesn't make sense as they are clearly talking about the audio and visual separately.

They are talking about the DVD and a DVD also needs good quality video and good quality audio

they explain that

- they have Japan masters but it's not really a Bad Tour concert more like a Victory concert with only 2 songs from Bad

- they have good quality video with unusable audio from several concerts

- they have good quality audio with enhanceable VHS / decent quality video Wembley concert

So Japan concerts were not considered as they didn't believe them to be a satisfactory Bad Tour concert, the unusable audio made the most of the concerts not releasable. So they had 2 choices : No concert DVD or Wembley DVD despite it's limitations.

They are talking about the DVD and a DVD also needs good quality video and good quality audio

they explain that

- they have Japan masters but it's not really a Bad Tour concert more like a Victory concert with only 2 songs from Bad

- they have good quality audio with enhanceable VHS / decent quality video Wembley concert

So Japan concerts were not considered as they didn't believe them to be a satisfactory Bad Tour concert, the unusable audio made the most of the concerts not releasable. So they had 2 choices : No concert DVD or Wembley DVD despite it's limitations.

Or mixing the great audio from Wembley with some other concert with great video, but that would not be authentic.

I want to see the trailer for the actual DVD before I decide if I'm going to buy it. I appreciate the letter from the Estate but they didn't answer the main question - picture quality. Is the picture quality in trailer restored or before restoration. If it is before, they should release the trailer of the final product after restoration so we could see what we are buying.

I think the picture quality is going to be the best it could be from a restored VHS, but I don't think that it'll equal the DVD quality ever.

We just need to have faith that one day they find back the master film and in the meantime content ourselves with what we've got for the moment.

they explain that

Yes I know but it's a typo. "If we were going to include a concert dvd" should read "if we were going to include a concert CD" because they state that they had only one choice for the dvd (visual) which was Wembley (from the sound truck) and then they say they had two choices for visual - Wembley or another show. It's a contradiction the way it reads so they obviously meant cd (audio) in the first instance (one choice - Wembley) and then visual in the second (Wembley or another show).

And the Japan concert they are talking about is obviously Yokohama which had the earlier set list, as did all 19 shows that took place in 1987. They were still part of the Bad Tour though, just as were the other 104.

Even finding this VHS felt like a miracle to us!

I really understand this .. Thank You !

Well, it may be obvious, but it's also almost surrealistic (the tapes of the most important entertainer in the world, just can't be found). One more time, fiction seems to be surpassed by reality :D

Ok, it's great that they decided to enhance the VHS, but I still can't understand how they could think that it would be a good idea not to release a BluRay at all. They should have released the DVD of the enhanced VHS AND a BluRay of any concert at the same time (I don't see why a Japan concert won't be satisfactory as a Bad Tour concert, especially if we get a DVD of a second leg concert at the same time). Just releasing a DVD would have been satisfactory maybe ten years ago, but it is no longer satisfactory in 2012. Next time, they should ask the fans first! ;)

Or mixing the great audio from Wembley with some other concert with great video, but that would not be authentic.

oh really...? And have MJfans throw another temper tantrum?

Go back to November 2010....

I think they've made the right decision. Now those who don't want the DVD, well their lost...and those who want it....their gain.

There is only so much one can do...they will never please the whole fan base, so they shouldn't even try. MJ himself couldn't ...

Last edited:

I think the picture quality is going to be the best it could be from a restored VHS, but I don't think that it'll equal the DVD quality ever.

We just need to have faith that one day they find back the master film and in the meantime content ourselves with what we've got for the moment.

If would be great if they find the master film someday, but theres no need to wait until then... in the meantime they could perfectly release a BluRay of any other Bad concert. :) :) :)

I don't know - everyone's pretty much seen a Japanese Bad concert, and comparatively speaking it's not that impressive. I personally think the DVD of the VHS was definitely the right thing to do, considering the audio specifications as well. I admire the fact that they're going the extra mile for fans in preparing this. But we just have to accept that people screwed up: 123 shows are no doubt hard to keep track of, and some people just dropped the ball. This stuff happens and no-one is immune to it; not even Michael. There are several films that have been lost as time goes by, so it doesn't just affect concert recordings.

I’m glad they clarified this matter. I hope they will keep looking for those tapes so that they can eventually release it on blu-ray. If not, then they could compensate by releasing all of Michael’s Bad tour personnal VHS tapes on a huge epic DVD boxset, I wouldn’t mind. :shifty:

So what is a Umatic tape exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back