Signed Beat It Poster

AmpTrooper

Proud Member
Just scored what I hope to be a great find. I did get it on ebay for a good price HOWEVER, it is not been authenticated so I am not going to be able to tell if it is real or not until it gets here. I saw it was signed in a marker and Sharpie markers were not that popular when this was signed so, it would be one of those old school markers and it would have bled through the back so, I asked the guy if the marker has bled through to the back (trying to determine if it is really signed or just a print) he said that it has bled though. So that is a really good sign. I also have been searching everywhere to see if this poster was ever made as a reprint signature. i did find that the poster was one of those poster that you use to be able to get in the Pop Starz magazine back in the 80's. It was supposedly taken to an MJ concert and signed back stage there.
Any one have any other info on it? Maybe you know if this was a reprint. The sig looks good from the picture but some of the reprints can look good too. I was thinking the bleeding through was a pretty sure sign that it is authentic though. If it is not I am getting my money back! Anywho here is the picture of the poster:

MJsignedBeatIt.jpg

Are you saying it is a fake? How do you know it is. Was there a poster that was made like this? Now you have me worried! I fought hard to get this from him. But, he did say in the sale that it was a real autograph so, I am protected by Ebay and PayPal if it is not.

I don't know.. it looks fine but.. :worried: although the detail you mention might make it seem authentic..who knows, he should certify it as authentic and have papers to prove it.

Last edited:
get your money back

I'm afraid I'm inclined to agree. I expect this is indeed hand signed, but the question is by whom? I don't think I've seen this signature before.... it doesn't look very 'typical' to me.

Have you found any 'matching' signatures to compare it with?

I'm with the others on it most likely not being authentic :( You can still report it and claim your money back on the basis the seller was dishonest. Your best proof is the wiki image of Michael's signature. I was duped too, and would think twice before getting an autograph from ebay now.

Thanks everyone for putting in on this. I contacted the seller and just told him that if he knows something it would be best to share that info with me now rather then letting this go the full circle. I have not heard back which is unusual. So, y'all may be right. I actually did find the signature that is on the poster on a bunch of other things from the Thriller Tour that matches this signature. Seams he has a few styles over the years and perfected it to the signature we know so well today just shortly after BAD. So, it is still possible. The guy wanted to take it and get it authenticated but then he said he would want more money if it was authenticated even though I had already won the bid. I told him not to get it authenticated and just asked if the marker bled through. BUT, his ad does say that it is a real autograph so I am still protected either way.

But then there are ones like this one:

Autograph.jpg

That looks very close to the one on the poster. Especially because it has the S and O in Jackson like my poster. It was rare that he made those legible. But it seems that he did from time to time. Anywho, the poster is not here yet. Should be tomorrow I would guess. I sent a message asking the guy again and just reminding him that I am protected by ebay for this purchase. He said it is real and he has no problem sticking to Ebay rules and protections. So, I don't know. I sure hope it is.

But then there are ones like this one:

Autograph.jpg

That looks very close to the one on the poster. Especially because it has the S and O in Jackson like my poster. It was rare that he made those legible. But it seems that he did from time to time. Anywho, the poster is not here yet. Should be tomorrow I would guess. I sent a message asking the guy again and just reminding him that I am protected by ebay for this purchase. He said it is real and he has no problem sticking to Ebay rules and protections. So, I don't know. I sure hope it is.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. It's really the 'J' and the overall 'picture' that it makes that I'm not 'feeling'..... It feels kind of 'spiky' instead of curvy....hard to describe.

Yeah, i know. Problem is early on it seemed that he had a lot of little variations. Almost like he was trying to find one that works right and is easy to write really fast. This one has a of similarities of many of his autographs but, it is like, a little bit from here and a little from there. My only saving grace so far is that the stops look the same. and those are hard to fake well. I'll take a real picture for y'all when I get it. Course, I am going to take it to get it authenticated as well. I have a friend who owns a very fine high quality pawn shop. So, i will take it to him and have him look at it as he is an expert on autographs. I had him look at the picture. He said it was hard to tell. He said it looks signed but, it could be a reprint. Then I told himm about the bleeding of the marker in the back he said AH!!! That is different! He said that we now know it was signed now we need to find out from whom! LOL! So tomorrow! I hope! LOL!

Okay, the poster came today. I pulled it out of the tube and was shocked! The condition was less then half way good. The poster was falling apart. I thought well, even if the autograph is good....NOPE!
Not only is it a poster from one of those teen bop mags from the 80's it has the printed autograph and more then that. I asked the guy about the back side. I asked him if the autograph had bled trough seeing how it looked like it was signed with marker. He told me that he would have to check. Then later that day he responded and said that it was bleeding through to the back side. Well, he didn't mention at all that the back side was a who other poster with the exact same autograph just at the top. When I confronted him on this he said that he never saw the back!
So, he flat out lied! Anywho, he is giving me a refund and i am sending this junk back to him. I was very upset as even though there was a chance it was fake and y'all told me it was there was still that little chance that it was real. That will learn me!!! Here are the pictures i took of it to show Ebay in case he tries to resell it.

DSCI0586.jpg
DSCI0589.jpg
DSCI0588.jpg
DSCI0590.jpg

Okay, the poster came today. I pulled it out of the tube and was shocked! The condition was less then half way good. The poster was falling apart. I thought well, even if the autograph is good....NOPE!
Not only is it a poster from one of those teen bop mags from the 80's it has the printed autograph and more then that. I asked the guy about the back side. I asked him if the autograph had bled trough seeing how it looked like it was signed with marker. He told me that he would have to check. Then later that day he responded and said that it was bleeding through to the back side. Well, he didn't mention at all that the back side was a who other poster with the exact same autograph just at the top. When I confronted him on this he said that he never saw the back!
So, he flat out lied! Anywho, he is giving me a refund and i am sending this junk back to him. I was very upset as even though there was a chance it was fake and y'all told me it was there was still that little chance that it was real. That will learn me!!! Here are the pictures i took of it to show Ebay in case he tries to resell it.

DSCI0586.jpg
DSCI0589.jpg
DSCI0588.jpg
DSCI0590.jpg

Oh No, that's just horrendous! It's hard to believe that people will lie in such a barefaced way. I'm really sorry that this turned out badly, but glad that you are promised your money back. Ebay are usually pretty good about backing buyers against shocking sellers like this. Glad you've kept the photo's so he /she can't claim that you did the damage yourself. Some sellers are just outrageous. (I've heard of sellers sending out damaged items and claiming the purchaser did it) I hope you'll give appropriate negative feedback!

Let us know how it goes!
Best Wishes!

(Interesting that the photo on the back is the same as the one I posted a few messages above...I still don't think the signature is 'right'!!)

Last edited:
Oh my gosh!! I'm so sorry AmpTrooper! this is worse than what I'm sure you or us imagined when you first started the thread. A poster from a magazine, printed signature AND torn up!! Some people are just scammers, how much did you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking? I hope everything turns out fine and that you get your money back ASAP.

Well, total I paid $70. So, I really got taken. I sent it back today and sent him a tracking number so, I should be getting my refund ASAP. I hope i do!

Well, total I paid $70. So, I really got taken. I sent it back today and sent him a tracking number so, I should be getting my refund ASAP. I hope i do!

Here's hoping all will end well for you. I have to say that unless you have a very lucky find, I've not seen any genuine MJ signed items below about $450, and even then the condition can be 'not the best'. Not that price guarantees authenticity....there have been some dreadful fakes up for sale at prices well over $1k. I'm extremely wary of ebay now.

We have our share of shocking scam artists in the UK too. Here is a current one:

(Anyone heard of authentication by the 'certification of memorabilia organisation'????.......No???)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300741240073?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Well, so far, no refund! He claims he made it but, nothing has been posted to my account. I told him I wold give him till Wednesday. After that I will fully open a case with Ebay. So how it worked was he never put a shipping total. So when I won the auction he didn't have to sell it o me because shipping was not listed. We fought about that a little and agreed to a price. I thought that if it is real then it is still worth the $70 so I agreed. Well, the rest is as you know it. A scam!

Well, so far, no refund! He claims he made it but, nothing has been posted to my account. I told him I wold give him till Wednesday. After that I will fully open a case with Ebay. So how it worked was he never put a shipping total. So when I won the auction he didn't have to sell it o me because shipping was not listed. We fought about that a little and agreed to a price. I thought that if it is real then it is still worth the $70 so I agreed. Well, the rest is as you know it. A scam!

I think you are possibly being too generous to this seller...I would open a case now. The seller then has seven days to take appropriate action. e-bay shoud be totally on your side on this one....item clearly not as described. ( As long as you've got the return shipping proof of posting or similar). If s/he's promised to refund you I don't see how ebay can disagree with that....they have access to the ebay messages between you, so will be able to see the agreement s/he made.

On the plus side what a fantastic picture of Michael. Great poster.

Please NEVER buy a "autograph" from eBay, almost every one is fake, if you really want one there are very reliable people you can buy them from and you know for sure they are authentic.

Back