Berry Gordy and Motown Special

myosotis

Proud Member
By Susan Whitall
The Detroit News

For some young hopeful, it's the starmaking role of a lifetime: Motown founder Berry Gordy is seeking a young, African-American male, age 8 to 11 years old, to play several roles in the forthcoming Broadway production "Motown: The Musical."

One youngster will play Michael Jackson, Little Stevie Wonder and a pre-teen Berry Gordy.

As previously announced, the musical will premiere in the spring of 2013 in one of the Broadway theaters owned by the Nederlanders.

The full story on the auditions will be available on the website, www.MotownTheMusical.com/Casting, which goes live at 3 p.m. Tuesday, but the successful candidate will have to have a stunning high tenor voice and be able to move like Jackson when he was busting his James Brown moves.

The producers describe the roles thusly:

Michael Jackson: "The King of Pop, discovered in 1968 by Berry Gordy as part of the pop phenomenon the Jackson 5, when he was 10 years old."

Stevie Wonder: "Eleven years old when he first recorded for Motown in 1961."

Berry Gordy. "Mischievous youngster from a middle-class family in 1930s Detroit, a bit of a hustler and a bit of a dreamer."

"Motown: The Musical" will be produced by Kevin McCollum ("Rent," "Avenue Q"), Doug Morris (Chairman and CEO of Sony Music Entertainment) and Gordy.

The musical will be directed by Charles Randolph-Wright from a book by Gordy, and will feature dozens of hit Motown songs by such artists as Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Diana Ross and the Supremes, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, the Temptations and Michael Jackson and the Jackson Five.

swhitall@detnews.com

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...musical?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

Re: Gordy to hold auditions for Michael Jackson and others in Motown Musical

Hi there myosotis :ciao: WoW!! Motown The Musical that sounds" Awesome" thanks for that info :pleased:

Can't imagine being able to find ANYONE as talented as Michael....just can't see it being possible!

It will be interesting to hear how these youngsters sing the old Motown songs. I hope the script is good.

Tough search..I doubt there's a young kid as talented as Michael was when he was little. There's only one MJ, right? good luck to them though.

^^I guess they will find someone close to his talent, but I know what you mean. I looked at the movie about Dorothy Dandridge and the guys who played the famous Nicholas brothers were only 45 percent as good as them. If you were familiar with the brothers' slick, smooth and intricate moves the differences were very obvious.

an update on the auditions........

Motown Launches Casting Call for Actors to Play Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye and Smokey RobinsonBy Adam Hetrick
19 Oct 2012

Producers of the upcoming Broadway musical Motown are launching a nationwide casting search for African-American actors to portray young versions of Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder as well as such music legends as Marvin Gaye and Smokey Robinson.

In addition to a previously launched online casting campaign, the creative team has announced open auditions in Detroit, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Chicago and New York City in advance of Motown's Broadway debut this spring at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre. The musical is based on the life of record mogul Berry Gordy.

The casting breakdown is seeking one actor between the ages of 8 and 11 with a "phenomenal high tenor" voice who can sing and move like Jackson at 10-years-old, during his Jackson 5 days and also portray 11-year-old Stevie Wonder and a pre-teen Gordy himself, described as a "bit of a hustler and bit of a dreamer."

In addition, adult actors are being sought to portray the physical and vocal likenesses of Marvin Gaye and Smokey Robinson. An additional African-American actor with a low bass range (solid low C) and female African-American singers who can cover the songs of Diana Ross are also being sought during these calls.

Auditions will take place in Detroit and New York City on Nov. 3; followed by Los Angeles on Nov. 10; Chicago on Nov. 18; and Atlanta on Dec. 1.

Click here for more information on the auditions. Online submissions are also being accepted.

Gordy, who also authored the book to Motown, is producing the musical along with Tony winner Kevin McCollum (Rent, In the Heights, Avenue Q) and Sony Music CEO Doug Morris. The jukebox musical will begin Broadway previews March 11, 2013, towards an April 14, 2013, opening.

Charles Randolph-Wright will direct Motown, which will be studded with songs made famous by Smokey Robinson and The Miracles, Diana Ross and The Supremes, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, The Temptations, Michael Jackson and The Jackson Five.

Tony nominee Brandon Victor Dixon (The Color Purple, The Scottsboro Boys) and Valisia Lekae (Ragtime, The Book of Mormon) will co-star as Gordy and Diana Ross, respectively.

The musical promises "a gripping story about the protégés and stars of a uniquely talented musical family who, under Berry Gordy's guidance, began as 'the Sound of Young America' and went on to become some of the greatest superstars of all time."

For tickets visit Telecharge.com.

Visit MotownTheMusical.com.

http://www.playbill.com/news/articl...Stevie-Wonder-Marvin-Gaye-and-Smokey-Robinson

^^^ The whole searching thing reminds me of Gone With The Wind, nationwide Search for Scarlett, only this time searching for Michael:D

Uhhmm tough job ahead..let's see how it turns out.

^^ Yeah I am really curious to see how it turns out too. Where is this potential Michael? They may have to look in church choirs.

This could be really good or really bad. Time will tell.

I think Jason Weaver was good at playing Michael in the Jacksons: An American Dream. Or I can think of someone like young Tevin Campbell playing Michael. Of course, no one will be quite like Michael, no one should expect that, but there are kids who can do alright, IMO.

"Motown: The Musical"? :wild: Wow, a great idea ! an unexpected project ! :clapping:
Hopefully they’ll find young talented actors and do well in presenting these great memories of MoTown around 1970 ! :victory:
I really wish a great success. :thumbs_up:

It's going to be difficult to find someone to play Michael but what an amazing tale to be told.

i think no one can act like michael .

All I am hoping is that the little kid really takes time to study Michael's childhood performances, so his portrayal of Michael on the stage is believable and touches people's heart. If the kid has talent and does his homework, he should be able to deliver a good performance.

Broadway’s Motown: The Musical Finds Its Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder
Young actors Raymond Luke Jr. and Jibreel Mawry will take on the roles of the legendary singers.

77536.jpg

Raymond Luke Jr. and Jibreel Mawry (Photos courtesy of the production)

After a nationwide talent search, actors Raymond Luke Jr. and Jibreel Mawry have been tapped to share the roles of Young Berry Gordy, Michael Jackson, and Stevie Wonder in the upcoming world premiere Broadway production of Motown: The Musical. The production begins previews March 11 at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, where it will open on April 14.

Like and Mawry will make their Broadway debuts with the musical, which features a book by Motown founder (and legendary record producer) Berry Gordy, direction by Charles Randolph-Wright (Guys and Dolls), and a score culled from the hits of the illustrious Motown music catalogue. Luke’s stage credits include the Tammi Mac Minute Mixer and the films Bad Father and Failure is Not an Option. Detroit native Mawry is an advocate and peer mentor for the “Artist in Action: Stand Up Against Bullying” Initative, as well as a co-host of “Ye TV.”

Additionally, previously announced Motown ensemble member Brian Terrell Clark will take on the role of “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” singer Marvin Gaye. Clark has appeared opposite Laurence Fishburne and Angela Bassett in the Pasadena Playhouse production of Fences, as well as the on the television shows The Unit and Tyler Perry’s House of Payne. He has performed with artists including Ne-Yo, Gladys Knight, Patti LaBelle, and more.

http://www.theatermania.com/new-york-city-theater/news/02-2013/broadways-motown-the-musical-finds-its-michael-jac

[video=youtube;DLHEnBQ5QjQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DLHEnBQ5QjQ[/video]

^ Jibreel seems very good! I wish him (edit. both of them!) lots of success and happiness in the role.

And this seems to be Raymond Luke jr.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwdLK1Gxa4U

Last edited:

The MJ they picked is very good. I plan on seeing this musical. Love Motown!

Last edited:

The MJ they picked is very good. I plane on seeing this musical. Love Motown!

Me to I am definitely going. I heard the adverts on the radio & saw the ads all over the subway.

Litte Raymond needs some work with his breathing & diction so I expect they will clean all this up by March.

I think I am in love with that little one who is singing the Michael song. Great job.

There is some initial video footage of parts of the production embedded in this article....it is looking very good indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zu434JUL5yU
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zu434JUL5yU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20676278,00.html
The King of Pop will be right on stage &#8211; portrayed by an actor, as will several of the other big-name powerhouses from the fabled Detroit hit factory: Diana Ross and the Supremes, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, the Temptations, Smokey Robinson and their '60s record label's founder, Berry Gordy. (They can all be seen in a first-look video clip of the show, exclusive to PEOPLE.com.)

Get more stories on your favorite celebrities by subscribing now.

Raymond Luke Jr. plays the young Jackson, who, as part of the Jackson Five with his four older brothers, was signed by Gordy in 1968, when Michael was only 10 &#8211; the same age Luke, who is now 12, was when he started "studying" the genuine Jackson.

"I didn't know Michael Jackson [when I was 8]," admitted the L.A. native, whose grandmother first taught him to sing when he was 3, "then I started looking him up."

A graduate of the Beverly Hills Acting School FABA (For Actors by Actors), and already a veteran of Toys "R" Us and Volkswagen commercials, Luke says, "I wanted to be a singer, but I never knew this musical was going to happen and that I'd get to sing about six to eight Michael Jackson songs" &#8211; including "I Got the Feelin'," "I Want You Back," "ABC," "The Love You Save" and "I'll Be There."

Neither did Luke know that out of hundreds for hopefuls who were seen by Motown: The Musical director Charles Randolph-Wright &#8211; both live and on audition videos &#8211; he'd be the one to land the plum role. (He'll alternate performances with another child actor, Jibreel Mawry, whom Luke calls "amazing.")

"Michael Jackson had intensity and a confidence, combined with a naiveté. He was almost hypnotic in his allure," Randolph-Wright tells PEOPLE. "You can't replicate one of a kind, but Raymond has that spirit, that feeling Michael Jackson gave you. He makes you smile."

Living in Brooklyn with his father, Raymond Sr., while his four siblings remain out west, Luke considers making his Broadway debut "fun" &#8211; especially, he tells PEOPLE, when he wears his favorite costume, Jackson's purple hat and bellbottoms, just like Michael did on The Ed Sullivan Show to sing "Who's Loving You?"

For Randolph-Wright, Luke is "authentic." And should any of Michael's children come see the show? "It would be amazing," Luke exclaims. "I want to make his family proud."

Motown: The Musical, featuring the Motown music catalogue and a book by Berry Gordy, begins previews March 11 at Broadway's Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, with an official opening April 14.

Last edited:

^ I thought Jibreel would play MJ and Luke would be Stevie? I think judging from both their own Youtube vids Jibreel looks and sounds like a young MJ way more. Edit: Oh well just saw the other youtube vids of everyone in their costumes I guest Luke got MJs part. Good for him.

Of course no one would be just like Mike, it is impossible, but i am sure they will find some kid who is fantastically talented

I would love to see a motown musical, I love Stevie Wonder also his music always makes me want to dance about :)

^ I thought Jibreel would play MJ and Luke would be Stevie? I think judging from both their own Youtube vids Jibreel looks and sounds like a young MJ way more. Edit: Oh well just saw the other youtube vids of everyone in their costumes I guest Luke got MJs part. Good for him.

I think from the 'People' article, it says they will alternate...?

raymond-luke-600.jpg

Back