Juliens Auction Dec 2 - The Collection of Tompkins & Bush /Update Controversy surrounding autographs

Vici

Proud Member
Julien’s Auctions is proud to announce the auction of The King of Pop, Michael Jackson’s, wardrobe items and ephemera from the collection of designers Dennis Tompkins and Michael Bush. These pieces have not been seen since Jackson wore them on stage and in his videos. These very special items are offered for sale for the first time on December 2, 2012 at the Julien’s Auctions Beverly Hills Gallery as part of our annual Icons & Idols auction.

The exhibit and auction include the designs created by Michael Jackson’s long time costume designers Dennis Tompkins and Michael Bush, which are also featured in the highly anticipated illustrated book by Michael Bush, THE KING OF STYLE: Dressing Michael Jackson, which will be published by Insight Editions and available October 30, 2012. The collection of Jackson clothing and wardrobe offered for sale, and seen in the book, showcases Michael Jackson’s love of fashion and huge impact on popular culture. Many of the items featured in the book will be included in the auction with a portion of the proceeds benefiting Nathan Adelson Hospice in Las Vegas and Guide Dogs of America in Los Angeles.

Sale highlights include a 30th Anniversary of Madison Square Garden show signed prototype helmet which was wired to illuminate a row of battery powered lights below the visor. The helmet is signed in black marker to designer Michael Bush and states “To Bush Love Michael Jackson,” and Jackson’s “Scream” video costume which includes a pair of black spandex pants with matching long sleeve shirt and mesh tuck strap. Each costume piece is marked on the interior in gold marker “2/2” or “2/2 M.J.J,” indicating that two costumes were created for Jackson’s famous video shoot. Michael Jackson’s Captain EO white spandex shirt featuring ribbed neck, zip closure and a rainbow motif is also included as well as the King of Pop’s Awards Ceremony jacket which is a black wool jacket embellished with red armband, gold tone metal floral buttons, metallic embroidered crown patch at chest and buckled leather straps at right shoulder. Jackson wore this jacket when he attended the 3rd annual Soul Train Awards in 1989 where he was honored with the Sammy Davis, Jr. Heritage Award, the Heritage Award for Career Achievement and awards for his single and video for “Man in the Mirror.”

There is no doubt that Michael Jackson was a global fashion icon as well as award winning and beloved musician. His wardrobe dictated many of the styles throughout the last few decades. Jackson played a very intimate role in the designs and completion of every costume and piece of clothing he wore both on stage and in his personal life. Dennis Tompkins and Michael Bush shared a very personal and close 25 year relationship with the artist which is rich in story-telling that runs throughout this collection, as well as detailed in the upcoming book.

A portion of the proceeds of the auction will benefit two charities, Guide Dogs of America (GuideDogsofAmerica.org) and Nathan Adelson Hospice in Las Vegas (www.nah.org).

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2012/tompkins-and-bush/index.html

-------------------------------

Karen Faye tweets:

"Karen Faye (@wingheart)
It makes me very sad that Michael Bush has decided to auction off MJ's iconic clothing. Both MLB and I know that it was MJ's wish to create a museum for these pieces. MJ spoke about this often to us. That is why MJ trusted MLB to hold on to these items."

"Karen Faye (@wingheart)
All you can do is make a personal choice, not purchase it. If everyone made this choice, they would not be selling it. Fans are making these men very wealthy. I am not. RT @freeminder66: @wingheart So, there is no way to stop it? And it all will happen again and again? How many tragedies do we know already? :("

Last edited:
I would like to say that I am VERY upset with MB for auctioning off MJ's clothes...Michael wanted his stuff in a museum ..NOT a auction house!! and if 5% goes to charity...where is the other 95% going?

Las Vegas Charities Benefit

Tuesday, August 21st 2012
dennis_tompkins-125x125.jpg
Michael Bush and the late Dennis Tompkins, who designed Michael’s clothes for 25 years, had a home in Las Vegas. It has been arranged that 5% of the proceeds from Julien’s Auction of 250 items of Michael’s costumes, will be given to the Nathan Edelson Hospice in Las Vegas. It is a non-profit group, and provides much needed care. However much money is raised, Carole Fisher, the CEO, said, it will support programs such as uncompensated care, the Bonnie Schreck Memorial <nobr>Complementary Therapies</nobr> program, a <nobr>meal delivery</nobr> program and the Elaine Wynn <nobr>Palliative Care</nobr> program.
Michael Bush and Dennis Tompkins never needed the services of the Hospice, but were friends and close neighbours. It isn’t known how much will be raised by the auction, but past sales have reached tremendous figures. The sale will take place on December 2nd.
To read the entire article, please click here
http://www.mjworld.net/news/2012/08/21/las-vegas-charities-benefit/

Last edited:
Re: Juliens Auction Dec 2 - The Collection of Tompkins and Bush Auction

Can the estate stop this? It's sad to see what happened after michael's death. Everything for money. I guess the thriller jacket sale which brought million dollars to Michael Bush is not enough.

I wish they WOULD put all Michael's costumes in a museum. I,for one, would go and see them. It's a shame that his stuff can't be kept together so his fans could enjoy it all. I loved Michael so much, and it breaks my heart to see all those memories scattered to the winds!!!

Sad...ain't it? If anyone deserves a museum it's MJ! Bush is really gonna make a lot of dough sellin off MJ stuff on top of that his book about MJ style will do the same. Hmm I think I rather not buy his book then. Not new anyways I'll get a used one instead. If MJ stopped other auctions tryin to sell of his stuff then I see no different in him not liking this one either if he were alive. Sorry but that's just my personal opinion about all of this.

Bush seems eager to give interviews to everyone who asks, in order to promote the book. Can we do a Q&A with him and ask why he's selling off the collection instead of donating it for the museum?

Last edited:

Bush seems eager to give interviews to everyone who asks, in order to promote the book. Can we do a Q&A with him and ask why he's selling the collection off instead of donating it for the museum?
that is a good idea...the only thing is by the time he answered the questions the auction would be over. There has to be away to stop this auction...smdh

I read that someone already asked the Estate to step in and they responded that it was private property, given to MB, and therefore they cannot tell him what to do with it. I guess maybe they could purchase items themselves?? But maybe since they are still fighting debts and are in Probate, that might be difficult. I certainly would like to see these iconic costumes in a museum!!! That's definitely where they belong--including the Thriller jacket, the HIStory teaser outfit--so many stunning costumes and Michael looked so great in them!!!

So Mike was not the owner of his clothes?

I find this very odd of Bush. He seemed to be the only person around Michael who didn't want to make money or talk about Michael's private life. I can't imagine why he would be doing this.

I'm one of those who would loved to see these costumes in Michael Jackson museum.
"Each costume piece is marked on the interior in gold marker &#8220;2/2&#8221; or &#8220;2/2 M.J.J,&#8221; indicating that two costumes were created for Jackson&#8217;s famous video shoot."

So MB has at least one of two of these costumes, who has the second one, estate?

I guess the estate is ok with the sale as Branca wrote forward to his book.

Last edited:

quick change, money money money. i'm sure the charity mention is suspect..ya gotta save face...

I thought that these were just the ones Bush owned, didn't realize some of them are likely one offs.

It is really sad. Why would he need the money in that way?

So sad. Just read an interview with Michael Bush on mjworld.net, and one thing he said has struck me:

...there is over 50 exhibits on display, plus we are introducing some new items to the exhibition and some of the things we currently have will be leaving, so if you are a die-hard fan, make sure you come and check out what's there, as once it's sold in December you will never see this collection together again in public!
http://www.mjworld.net/news/2012/10/14/michael-bush-exhibition-qa/

:cry: As much as I want to buy his book, the sadness I feel over the permanent loss of some of Michael's most iconic clothes is too much. Now I have reservations on whether I really want to support Michael Bush.

He can't be that broke...? For sure if Michael was alive, he wouln't have dared sell broke or not.

Anyone with anything about them would offer the clothes to the kids/estate first regardless of whether mj gave them to him or not imo. i guess hes cashing in like the rest but then this is the guy who went on tv talking about dressing a dead body and what it smelt like. classy bush very classy. all hes doing is contributing to those who dont want an mj legacy other than the allegations and p.s.

So sad. Just read an interview with Michael Bush on mjworld.net, and one thing he said has struck me:

http://www.mjworld.net/news/2012/10/14/michael-bush-exhibition-qa/

:cry: As much as I want to buy his book, the sadness I feel over the permanent loss of some of Michael's most iconic clothes is too much. Now I have reservations on whether I really want to support Michael Bush.

He can't be that broke...? For sure if Michael was alive, he wouln't have dared sell broke or not.

that sums it up doesnt it. reminds me of geller and his buy my book rants. it was always about them not mj.true colours surface in the end. was anyone loyal to mj bar us and his kids

I won't be buying his book or supporting ANYTHING Michael Bush. Ok..so he owns the costumes...so he says...so what...BUT he designed them for Michael...didn't Michael PAY MB for his services and the costumes????....Michael was very generous as we all know...but when Michael Jackson says he wants these things put in a museum...then those things should be put in a museum...funny...MB didn't sell these things when Michael was alive now did he...NOPE...just like the rest of them he waits until Michael passes and then he sells them to the highest bidder. shame.

MB didn't sell these things when Michael was alive now did he...NOPE...just like the rest of them he waits until Michael passes and then he sells them to the highest bidder. shame.

I wonder if working for MJ generated his only income? Maybe like Klein he charged MJ loads of money and when his client died they have nothing to fall back on? I can't understand this.

For 25 years, Los Angeles based costume designer Michael Bush, together with his partner Dennis Tompkins, who passed away in December 2011, created most of Michael Jackson's personal and concert tour wardrobes &#8212; tens of thousands of original pieces.

Tompkins began his entertainment career as an ice dancer, and worked in the costume department at ABC on shows such as "General Hospital." Tompkins was working on the 1985 production of "Captain EO," a science fiction short film starring Jackson that was directed by Francis Ford Coppola and produced by George Lucas, when Jackson discovered Tompkins' talent for making pants cut specifically for dancers. Bush joined the "Captain EO" production soon after Tompkins, and after the project wrapped, the pair began making costumes for Jackson to wear in his music videos.

Their unconventional career provided them with the unique opportunity to work creatively with one of the world's greatest entertainers, and through the medium of clothing help him express the artistic style that made him a cultural icon.

In addition to their work for Michael Jackson, Tompkins and Bush designed costumes for Britney Spears, including the red jumpsuit that she donned in the classic "Oops I Did It Again" video, as well as pieces for Elizabeth Taylor and Denzel Washington's wife Pauletta.

There is nothing for his kids or estate to have? I know this is crazy but maybe the people who will buy it will be fans and they can give it to the estate and his kids. I know crazy but it's sad to see them sold off.

why not put it in the museum?

^^Because Bush wants to make money out of the clothes Michael wore.

I wonder if working for MJ generated his only income? Maybe like Klein he charged MJ loads of money and when his client died they have nothing to fall back on? I can't understand this.

I don't think that is the case here..MB does costumes for alot of famous people...I'm with you..I cant understand this either...why sell MJ's clothes other than for greed...thats the only reason I can think of...

Whether you like it or not: money makes the world go round. That's why Michael made a billion $'s while performing and makin music. He didn't do it for free: he asked money for his craft. Same goes for T&B, except it seems in the MJ universe here anyone besides MJ that makes money is some kind of thief.

Why do people always have to see the negative things first: Thomkins could've kept the clothes in his basement for years and then no one would be able to see them. He chose to sell them so maybe someone will put them on display. I know the Grammy museum in LA has a lot of MJ clothes, and so does Sofitel Macau. Michael personally signed a lot of the items. And most were a 2/2 so there is another one somewhere in the world. As I understand Bush &T made extras of everything to keep. Maybe Bush' passing made Tompkins not want to have the items anymore, who knows.

If the estate wanted to have the items they could easily step in and buy them, but I guess they don't think they can make money off them: running a museum costs money too you know.

For those saying Thomkins just wants to cash in on Michael; I guess you only do charity work then and never sold anything?

What's that quote that MJ put in moonwalk? Don't judge a man until you've walked a 1000 miles in his shoes or something like that? People should stop with all the negativity and start enjoying life and all the MJ stuff that's still being released. Don't worry so much about what the estate or his kids would want: they're all millionaires, if they wanted to have these clothes (most were extras and not even worn by MJ I think) they could easily buy them.

Michael B. and Thompkins work for Michae until 2009, is Mr. Thompkin's family entitle to half of the money after donation to charities or charity.

Wow..just when I thought MB was one of the few people that wasn't trying to make profit off of Michael...this is ridiculous :mat:

I think Not all items being presented are going to be auctioned.
Karen fayes stated Many of these costumes MLB has on display belong to the estate. Most likely on loan from the Estate. I believe these will be returned to the Estate and not auctioned off. Lets not forget many of these costumes also have doubles. MJ had more than one of each costume made. Much of what MJB is auctioning is signed by Michael as a gift to MLB and not an item he was specifically saving to put in a museum.

But in the end the Majority of MJ costumes and wardrobe will end up in what ever museum is built. Once the estate is out of probate and ready to persue that avenue. Many serious buyers are proud to place their items in museums - with "donated by plaques" .. they want them seen and protected - not hidden in their closets.

Back