The origins of "Whatever Happens"

morinen

Proud Member
I saw someone's question to Joe Vogel on twitter today

Deborah Ffrench mentioned that even though only Gil Cang and Geoffrey Williams wrote "Whatever Happens", Michael (along with Teddy Riley and Jasmine Quay) were given songwriting credits due to the publishing rights, among other reasons. Did this same process happen with other songs that MJ received writing credit for, despite having not written or co-written them (either on Invincible or any other record/album)?

Joe: This seems to be much more the case on Invincible, though he usually added some element (whether lyrics, arrangement, or melody) to justify a co-writing credit.

and I remembered about this interview someone did with Gil Cang, co-writer of "Whatever Happens", some time ago. It was posted on a French site, and I've never seen an English translation. And I think it's pretty interesting. Here is is:

BOS: Hello Gil, you are the creator of the song "Whatever Happens, can you tell us the story of this track appearing on Michael Jackson's album Invincible released by Epic / Sony Music in 2001?

Gil Cang: Geoffrey and I wrote the song in my "studio room" in 1999...

BOS: Did you write "Whatever happens" especially for Michael Jackson?

Gil Cang: The song was first offered to artist Mario Vasquez (who was signed to Atlantic and later featured in "American Idol" performing "Whatever Happens" at the audition). He recorded the song, but it was never released.

BOS: What happened next?

Gil Cang: Mario Vasquez went to Teddy Riley's lawyer to see if Teddy would be interested in producing him. It didn't work out, but Teddy thought the song would be great for Michael. He played the song for Michael, and Michael loved it.

BOS: Did you meet Michael Jackson and Teddy Riley? Did you watch the song's evolution from your demo to the final version on Invincible?

Gil Cang: I was not in the studio, and I have not met any of them.

BOS: How was your song selected? Did you suggest any other demos to Riley, and if so, do you remember their names? Did they record any other demos or final versions?

Gil Cang: Riley didn't select anything else. They recorded this song among 200 songs they worked on for Invincible, and they kept it. An honor for me because I've always been a huge fan.

BOS: Do you know if "Whatever Happens" was planned as a single by Sony Music?

Gil Cang: Unfortunately, the song was never released as a single because the promo campaign was stopped after only 2 songs from the album. "Whatever Happens" was planned as the 4th single from Invincible. But still it is my musical dream come true.

BOS: What is this song about, and what do you think is Michael Jackson's version about?

Gil Cang: I love Michael's version. The song is about a girl who discovers that she is pregnant. People mistake the first sentence of the song, it's actually "He gives a nervous smile," not "He gives another smile." It always makes me nervous! They had it wrong in the album booklet.

BOS: Who sings and plays instruments on the demo?

Gil Cang: Geoffrey Williams sings, and I play instruments.

BOS: Who decided to invite Carlos Santana?

Gil Cang: It was their idea.

BOS: When listening to your demo and the final version on Invincible, there is no real difference in melody, text, etc. Why are Teddy Riley and Michael Jackson credited? Was it a copyright issue, as in "Give us credit, otherwise you will never see your song on the album?"

Gil: Exactly.

BOS: Gil, thank you for this short interview, "Whatever Happens" remains one of the major titles on Invincible and it is very much appreciated by the public.

Gil: Thank you.

http://mjfrance.com/actu/index.php?...r-Happens:-La-génèse-de-cette-chanson.../1791

he usually added some element (whether lyrics, arrangement, or melody) to justify a co-writing credit.
Im sure MJ did the same for "Whatever happens" After listening to Gil Cangs demo version I can see considerable changes in the musical arrangement.. (enough to deserve a credit IMO) It's a beautiful song but MJ would never record or release it in that form.

The beginning of Michaels version give me a feeling of wild West.
He´s really trying to understand her side

The demo is ok but it´s just another song.....I get no feeling at all

Nice! Makes more sense with "gives a nervious smile".

But I reacted to this "among 200 songs they worked on for Invincible", they as in "teddy and MJ"? Worked on among 200 songs? No way

I like the ending of the demo better.

I always thought the song is about a guy, whos giving everything to his GF to make her happy and satisfied. that he's affraid that she'll leave him and that both suffers in that relationship. no money no future.
No that I know the subject of the song, all of the lines make sense.

Last edited:
With someone else singing it, it's just another song, but, my god, Michael's emotional and passionate singing elevates it to a whole new level.

But I reacted to this "among 200 songs they worked on for Invincible", they as in "teddy and MJ"? Worked on among 200 songs? No way

I think he means altogether, with all producers.

I love this song, it is very cool, Michael voice sounds great and the guitar is awesome!

It confirms what I suspected all along - MJ relied way too heavily on outside songwriters for Invincible. I don't mind the occasional song from outside writers (after all, MITM wasn't written by MJ and it's one of his best songs), but I get the impression he relied very heavily on this with Invincible (Butterflies, Cry, Whatever Happens, YAML, Don't Walk Away, 2000 Watts).

To me, the best songs on Invincible are Speechless and The Lost Children which, funnily enough, are the only two tracks solely written by Michael. The man has solely written some of the best pop songs of all time and it's a damn shame he felt such a strong need to rely on outside writers and producers for his final album. Was it due to record company pressure to sound "contemporary" or perhaps a lack of inspiration on Michael's part? Who knows, either way, I can't help but feel a little disappointed that his songwriting seemed to take a bit of a backseat on Invincible.

The Darkchild songs at least sound like a genuine collaboration, songs like Unbreakable, YRMW, Privacy, We've Had Enough and Threatened sound very Michael-ish. But the songs he did with Teddy Riley sound like they were just handed to Michael on a plate. I mean, doesn't Nick Carter have a version of Shout?? I find that really disappointing, the man who wrote Who Is It, TDCAU, Billie Jean and Morphine is using material recorded by Nick Carter?

Last edited:
Yes, I agree that out of all MJ albums Invincible sounds the least Michael-ish and it's my least favorite album of him too, but on the other hand it has some gems and even elements which are more impressive in the hindsight (such as his use of dubstep in 2001!!).

But I agree that Michael's best songs were always the ones he wrote and it's a shame he did not write more on Vince. On Vince every song has a big number of writers and producers and that eventually kills off the Michael-feel of them.

I agree with the above 2 posts. I like Invincible for the most part, but it's certainly the album that feels the least like Michael Jackson since Off The Wall (not putting down Off The Wall, I think it's great). It would be interesting to hear all the songs from that era that Michael had a heavy hand in writing. I think you'd get a very different album to what Invincible became. I don't think Michael was really in a pop state of mind.

Gil Cang: The song was first offered to artist Mario Vasquez (who was signed to Atlantic and later featured in "American Idol"
performing "Whatever Happens" at the audition). He recorded the song, but it was never released.
I remember everyone on here being shocked when Mario Vasquez sang this song on Idol.
At the time I thought, "Wow! How did he manage to choose that song of all songs to audition with?
Contestants usually pick a more well known MJ song to do."
I thought it was great tho, and showed what a fan Mario was/is.
I now can see why he did it.

Thanks for all the info.

Whatever Happens remains a favorite of mine off the INVINCIBLE cd.

Thanks for posting. Nice to hear the demo.

I always wondered what this song was about. You can have all kind of thoughts listening to it. I always thought about a boy and a girl who decided to run away from home/problems together or something like that.

A pregnancy never came up in my mind, but it's nice to know the original meaning behind the lyrics.

Oh, and I hate wrong lyrics in booklets. How can that happen? tsk tsk tsk.....:doh:

I dunno.....once I've heard MJ sing a song, it's hard for me to like/praise it by someone else....
a different version. :thinking: :girl_impossible:

It confirms what I suspected all along - MJ relied way too heavily on outside songwriters for Invincible. I don't mind the occasional song from outside writers (after all, MITM wasn't written by MJ and it's one of his best songs), but I get the impression he relied very heavily on this with Invincible (Butterflies, Cry, Whatever Happens, YAML, Don't Walk Away, 2000 Watts).

To me, the best songs on Invincible are Speechless and The Lost Children which, funnily enough, are the only two tracks solely written by Michael. The man has solely written some of the best pop songs of all time and it's a damn shame he felt such a strong need to rely on outside writers and producers for his final album. Was it due to record company pressure to sound "contemporary" or perhaps a lack of inspiration on Michael's part? Who knows, either way, I can't help but feel a little disappointed that his songwriting seemed to take a bit of a backseat on Invincible.

The Darkchild songs at least sound like a genuine collaboration, songs like Unbreakable, YRMW, Privacy, We've Had Enough and Threatened sound very Michael-ish. But the songs he did with Teddy Riley sound like they were just handed to Michael on a plate. I mean, doesn't Nick Carter have a version of Shout?? I find that really disappointing, the man who wrote Who Is It, TDCAU, Billie Jean and Morphine is using material recorded by Nick Carter?

So, because the album has less songs written by Michael is less worthy? Because songs have been first intended for someone else are not Michael Jackson worthty. are not on a level that Michael Jackson would do?

'Shout' was also recorded by Nick carter, so that changes your opinion about the song now?

"Fall again" is one of my favourite songs recorded by Michael. He didn't finish it and give it to Glenn Lewis. And, is that song not good enough anymore?

sorry, thats very "narrow thinking".

why does he always have to fill his albums with self-written songs?

to me this confirms that Michael only writtes songs about healing caring about children and anger towards the media. and sorry TLC the most ackward song every by him.
Butterflies, WH, BOD are great songs.

to me it doesn't matter who wrote it. It matters how the song is. whats is about, how it sounds, and what feelings it evolves in me.

there are singers that never have written any song, but recorded great never forgettable music.

I laughed at that part :p But in Michaels defense, they worked on alot of songs for invincible and we don't know how many of those songs Michael wrote. Songs of the top of my head like, Hollywood Tonight, Chicago 1945, Another Day, Place with no name, blue gangster, Even though some were co-written, that alone are already alot.

Im sure he wrote alot of songs for Invincible but decided not to use them.

A little bit off topic but this gives more arguments to the theory that this song was dedicated to Shana Mangatal. I don’t fallow that girl or what happened between them and I don't care, I just remember I saw a video on youtube about this song.

It’s funny that was MJ who added the “shana na na” part :p But I don’t believe that theory, I’m just saying :D

With someone else singing it, it's just another song, but, my god, Michael's emotional and passionate singing elevates it to a whole new level.

That's why hardly anyone can cover any of Michael's songs. They can never get to the level of emotion in it that Michael had. It gave a lot of songs that extra brilliant piece.

Grammy Heavy Hitters

santana-01.jpg

Michael Jackson/Carlos Santana

We had to give special props to these two legends, because they share the astounding distinction of having won eight Grammys in one night, which are the most awards anyone has taken home in a single ceremony. The King of Pop took his two handfuls of shiny gramophones home in 1984, for "Thriller," in categories such as Album of the Year, and Best R&B Song, for "Billie Jean." Santana grabbed his crop of gilded brass in 2000, for "Supernatural," taking, among others, Best Rock Album and, with Rob Thomas and Itaal Shur, Song of the Year for "Smooth."

In 2001, Santana's guitar skills were featured in Michael Jackson's song "Whatever Happens", from the album Invincible.

Carlos Santana has been an ethereal guitarist whose music means more to him in a spiritual way, since 1967, and has toured the world many times.

Latin guitar legend lets it shine
FOR CARLOS SANTANA, LIVE MUSIC IS THE ONLY WAY TO UNDERSTAND WHY MUSIC STILL MATTERS

The hippie talk hasn't lost its lustre, or at least when it comes with palpable authenticity from Carlos Santana. Here's the man of tribal throbs, shamanistic melodies, musical transcendence: songs aren't just songs, but supernatural agents that lift us up and transport us, hopefully, to a better world.

"What we're trying to is create SOCC, the sound of collective consciousness," Santana said in a phone interview. "It's the sound that Bob Dylan calls 'forever young', but we call it 'eternally relevant,' _ the sound that in Thailand, Singapore, Australia, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, or in the Indian reservations, is all the same, because it resonates in the centre of people's heart."

Santana has been playing since 1967 _ 44 years of resonant melodies flowing like an endless stream from his guitar. On March 1, the man and his band might probably open their show in our City of Lost Angels with Angel Is All Around Us, the anthemic curtain-parter for the spiritual pageant that he intends his music to be, or that music is. At 63 and a veteran of a few thousand concerts, Santana will perform in Bangkok for the fourth time in 17 years, and he promises that sonic exhilaration and irresistible vibe will, as usual, replace oxygen and float us high.

What is for sure, is that they (Gil Cang and Geoffry Williams (1997)wrote a good song, "Whatever Happens". With Michael Jackson’s and Carlos Santana’s additions the song became great – so they certainly deserved their credits (although Santana wasn’t actually credited).

http://www.bangkokpost.com/arts-and-culture/music/223051/latin-guitar-legend-lets-it-shine

The Lost Children is one of my favorite songs from Invincible. You guys might say that Invincible sounded less like "Michael" but you got to admit, his vocals were amazing in that album.

The Lost Children is one of my favorite songs from Invincible. You guys might say that Invincible sounded less like "Michael" but you got to admit, his vocals were amazing in that album.

That's true. It's his vocals that makes the song Whatever Happens, for example.

Gil Cang: People mistake the first sentence of the song, it's actually "He gives a nervous smile," not "He gives another smile." It always makes me nervous! They had it wrong in the album booklet.

Oh my :doh: I always thought it was "He gives another smile"

I have to put this out there: Shout is brilliant no matter sings it. I mean, One Direction sang Man In the Mirror, does that make it less of a song? People are always gonna be singing Michael's songs so that last argument seems unsound.

To do with the rest of your post, Butterflies, Whatever Happens, and Don't Walk Away are brilliant songs so the idea that multiple writers messed it up I don't 100% agree with. The thing that messed up the album was the production, which is all up to the producers and MJ, but I put the blame primarily on Michael. It's his album and he says what goes on it ultimately. I've never been a big fan of the production of Invincible, it's too clunky and it just doesn't have the same layers as MJ had before.

His vocals are amazing on all his albums

I love heard the "backstages" about Michael's songs. Never gets boring!

Tks for sharing this. =)

Whatever happens is my favorite song from Invincible
Thanks for sharing :)

Back