Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,056 Times in 4,285 Posts

Default Re: Randall Sullivan's new book "Untouchable"

Here is my opinion. Im not sure all will agree But I feel it's sound advise. I dont think we want more media attention for Sullivan. That would help sell more books and bring in more haters. Just as this last articvle did. Just use the tools we have in the fanbase to warn other fans not to buy or support it and to write Intelligent comments based on facts on the aticles already posted . That how we get our side out. Dont bring any more attention from media for this Man. It only futher helps his cause to sell more books. Let's not feed the machine .. That will only backfire and bring the opposite results we are looking for here. (As we just seen with these last articles)

Right now fans are the ones making him relevant in the media. The articles are not about how great his book is they iare about the fans coming against it. Without this battle on Amazon the media wouldn't even be be printing about his flop book. The sooner this dies down and the less attention he recieves from us .. the less books he will sell and the media wont be interested in his sorry ass. The more attention we bring to the situation the more books he will sell. Thats just how it works. Im also sorry to say there are some fans who will use this for attention for themselves rather than for the purpose of thwarting sales of the book. Media attention sells books period wether we publically stand against it or not. We already did the work on Amazon . look how many 1 star reviews .. I think now we should back off for a bit and DONT give the media a story. Just let nature take its course. Let the book fade into obscurity now... Any way just my 2 cents..
    L.O.V.E. survives
    so we can Rock forever *

Blog Facebook Twitter Youtube Tumbler

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to qbee For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveThree FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,220 Times in 4,834 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbee View Post
    Let the book fade into obscurity now... Any way just my 2 cents..
    I agree with your post Qbee.
    I think this is their last attempt to get free publicity to his book.
    No matter how much they try to pump up the hype around this book, I don't think people will buy it as most of the fans knows what is it about, and non fans certainly are not going to give up 20-30 dollars for sake of buying a book full of stories taken from tabloids. It is all written and read before, so nothing new there.

So what if he sells, lets say 1000 more due to this campaign? The numbers are still shockingly low, 4000 is minuscule in book world.

Btw, does anyone have an access to Nielsen to check how many copies it has sold since the article came out. Nielsen's numbers 3000 sold include the books sold in Amazon too, so it will be sold in penny basket soon enough:-)
    It was 3 thousand few days ago. I'd like to know if it has sold 3001 already:-)
    Last edited by Bubs; 22-01-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,108 Times in 9,070 Posts

I agree. It's obvious that Sullivan and his publisher now changed strategy and are trying to turn it into some kind of "suppression of free speech" issue, which is ridiculous considering that the very same article talks about all the nation wide media this guy appeared in. Some "suppression of free speech"! Also negative opinions of your work is NOT a "suppression of free speech", grow up, Randall!

Sullivan's team are trying to use fans' negative opinions for PR now in their victim-playing and trying to use controversy to sell it (they have to try something else if it won't sell on merit, LOL). Let's not play into that. For now I think it's the wisest to ignore him and the Amazon page of his book. They can uprate it to 4-5 stars all they want, but that won't make it sell much better.

The funny thing is that now if he goes on TV and brings up this stuff with Amazon, the regular viewer will go on Amazon and check out the page and what will he see? The exact opposite of what Sullivan claims! An army of people leaving two-sentence 5-star reviews obviously without having read the book and instead of addressing the book's content shooting ad hominem attacks towards MJ and his fans. So let them do it, it's a shot in their own foot.
    Last edited by HIStory; 22-01-2013 at 11:58 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HIStory For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by respect77 View Post
    The funny thing is that now if he goes on TV and brings up this stuff with Amazon, the regular viewer will go on Amazon and check out the page and what will he see? The exact opposite of what Sullivan claims! An army of people leaving 5-star reviews without obviously reading the book and instead of addressing the book's content shooting ad hominem attacks towards MJ and his fans. So let them do it, it's a shot in their own foot.

and they see Sullivan's team attacking on fans, name calling and other silly stuff.

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,010 Times in 679 Posts

I think fans should still downvote these reviews though. It isn't fair for other objective people to have to come in and see these silly reviews, without understanding why there are legit complaints.

I know I always read Amazon reviews and as an MJ fan - not just with MJ, but thanks to MJ I suspect everything and research everything - am extra cautious about everything I read, I wouldn't want to buy a book only to discover it's a complete waste of time. The front page reviews have people thinking this is a well informed interesting new book. It isn't. Not even people who hate MJ want to read it, it's so tedious and repetitive.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to la_cienega For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,902 Times in 912 Posts

Can we go back to ignoring this book? This whole New York times piece was a marketing ploy, and the Rapid Response Team fell for it. Now Sullivan's garbage goes from #40,000 to 8,000....Who's fault is it?

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I was reading what is included in Nielsen bookscan, and it certainly doesn't look good for Sullivan

The number sold books mentioned in the article said 3000 sold and this 3000 includes bookshops and Amazon worldwide, too bad (giggling).
    Maybe we should start collecting money for Sullivan so he can pay back his advance from publishing house, just kidding:-)

Here is some info about Nielsen
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jack...o-authors.html
    and here:
    http://www.nielsenbookscan.co.uk/upl...20BOOKSCAN.pdf

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubs For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

The story was picked up by a few news sources like Yahoo News, which is why the Amazon reviews are now even worse.

Sullivan got what he wanted, media attention and $$$$$.

I'm only mad he found that Facebook group. Otherwise he would have nothing it seems.

Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,108 Times in 9,070 Posts

^^^Attention yes. $$$$ I'm not sure. Just because people troll the Amazon website doesn't mean they will buy the book.

ETA: Memefan wrote earlier it was at #8000. Now, #10,000. It's starting to fall back again. It will be a short-lived attention and it still won't make this book be the bestseller Sullivan and his publisher hopes for. Even if he sells another 3000 copies it still will be a flop.
    Last edited by HIStory; 22-01-2013 at 07:03 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HIStory For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 985
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdrive10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,247 Times in 4,025 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbee View Post
    I think now we should back off for a bit and DONT give the media a story. Just let nature take its course. Let the book fade into obscurity now... Any way just my 2 cents..
    You know I agree with you; it is just that it is hard to see what is happening & do nothing, so I guess we should continue to alert fans about not buying the book & like Lacienza says down vote & up vote. By doing what she suggests we are working behind the scenes & not writing articles as Randall is doing.
    Last edited by Petrarose; 22-01-2013 at 07:03 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Petrarose For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by respect77 View Post
    ^^^Attention yes. $$$$ I'm not sure. Just because people troll the Amazon website doesn't mean they will buy the book.
    Well, it's gonna make a little more than it was making before.

It's still lurching around the 10,000ths etc, which is bad, I mean he circled around that for the last 3 months and only sold 3,000 copies.

I just don't like this book being seen as legitimate and Sullivan has played it up. Poor him is being suppressed. Poor little baby. He knows it gives his book something interesting now. That there's any reaction to it at all. It must be good if it's hated by the psycho fans!

Next time we do anything like this we have to keep it off the public groups.

We really need a private group where we can alert each other to these things, and only known fans are in there.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to la_cienega For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,204 Times in 861 Posts

I have to confess, I had a ball last night laughing at all the bogus 5 star reviews, and I also confess I wrote some comments about them that might have been confrontational and/or contemptuous. Some fans are actually trying to debate with these 'reviewers' and inform them about what's going on. What is really sad to me is how much people read something and believe it 100% and then take action based on it without doing any research. So many statements are being made trashing the fans without even reading their objections that are clearly stated in great detail on the Amazon site. I think these people who leap to poor Sullivan's defense based on a stupid and inaccurate NYT article should be ashamed. And that it happened over the MLK holiday makes it even more appalling to trash a prominent Black American artist on that same holiday.

I agree with the idea to let it die down and I am not going back to Amazon to comment on the bogus reviews as it probably does stir up the hornet's nest of MJ haters and media goons.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jamba For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 985
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdrive10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,247 Times in 4,025 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by la_cienega View Post
    Well, it's gonna make a little more than it was making before.

It's still lurching around the 10,000ths etc, which is bad, I mean he circled around that for the last 3 months and only sold 3,000 copies.

I just don't like this book being seen as legitimate and Sullivan has played it up. Poor him is being suppressed. Poor little baby. He knows it gives his book something interesting now. That there's any reaction to it at all. It must be good if it's hated by the psycho fans!

Next time we do anything like this we have to keep it off the public groups.

We really need a private group where we can alert each other to these things, and only known fans are in there.
    LaCienega I agree with you. There is always occasions which call for Fans to Act. I don't like that we do this piece meal or always react haphazardly with our plans. We need to be more structured. This should be a lesson for us, so that something like this does not happen to fans' actions in the future. We need to have some private network where people alert others to act when any seller/manufacturer/promoter wants fans to buy products that are gross misrepresentations of Michael.

We don't want fans spending their money on shoddy products. Right now all Michael's detractors spend their time lurking on our boards & social media. Maybe people's e-mail can be made available in a private area and then teams systematically alert all members worldwide when an action needs to be taken, but something needs to be done in a more organized manner.

Some time in the 90s I was in an office & there was something going on between the Jews in Isreal & Arabs. Do you know that the Jewish people in the office all got letters calling them to action from an organization here in the US. It seems this organization has a list of Jews and their work addresses, or information on how to contact them. I think we should use this as an example of being organized & set up some protocol.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Petrarose For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEoLove85 View Post
    If Amazon were to do anything (since they don't likely want to look past the "free speech" issue), they should do something about the multitude of "non-reviews" that are popping up about this book that are mainly just jabs at MJ fans and have nothing to do with the book itself.
    I did report abuse to Amazon about the fake reviews but they are not paying attention to that and letting them stand.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Petrarose View Post
    Jamba I don't think the NYT will accept our article because they are catering to Sullivan. Maybe we could write a letter about the issues, add a detailed review and post it on the internet and on various fan sites & facebook.

By the way guys, after you buy his book do you return it?
    This is a great idea to write a detailed letter and post it on all the fan sites etc. What strikes me mainly is the hypocrisy of the fake reviews claiming it is a great book and just regurgitating what the media has spoon fed them. The level of intellectual dishonesty is mind-boggling. What fans did was to investigate the book. These people are just responding to an article. They have no contact with Sullivan's book except for a 2 page article and they go with that. It is really sad and then on that basis they trash not only MJ but his fans--who they think want MJ to be a glorified god (in their language). It is really hate speech. Maybe we should report this to the FBI ? (kidding)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jamba For This Useful Post: