Dave Navarro discusses playing for Michael Jackson

Word Smith Sr

Proud Member
Hi guys, i just read an interview of the guitarist Dave Navarro who played guitar for Mike at the apollo in 2002 for Black Or White. As a consequence, i'm creating this thread both to know if anyone could help me find this performance and let you read what Dave said about Mike. Here's the important part, you can read the whole interview to make sure i did not forget anything thanks to the link below:

As far as other musical projects, you've had a really diverse set of people that you've worked with and that you've played with—Michael Jackson, for instance—you got to play with him, isn't that right?

Navarro: Yeah, that was pretty amazing. I'll tell you: I got a call from Michael Jackson's camp and he wanted me to perform with him for the DNC [Democratic National Convention] here in New York, at the Apollo Theater, for President Clinton. Of course I jumped at the chance to do that!

It literally came out of the air and it was such an incredible experience. He was probably one of the sweetest, most humble entertainers that I have ever met and I've worked with a lot. He was just so humble, really grateful and thankful and kept thanking me for doing this, like I was doing some huge favor for him. I really got a chance to look at his work ethic and watch what a perfectionist he was.

So it was just the one-off show, right?

Navarro: It was just the one time. We did a rehearsal in L.A., which was incredible. It was the kind of thing you may imagine would be left to choreographers and then Michael just shows up on the night, but it wasn't left that way.

There's a moment that I was supposed to do a guitar solo and he wanted it to look like I was lost in the moment and kept soloing and he was trying to get me to stop but I blew him off and kept going...but he was very sincere and gentle and was like, "Okay, I'm going to come up and I'm going to touch you and you're going to think I want you to stop but I want you to keep going. It's just, this is part of the show." And he was explaining it to me but he was trying to explain, "I don't mean to get into your space, I'm doing this for the show." And I was like, "Yeah, I get that, no problem." So that was a pretty great thing.

Go here for the whole interview: http://gothamist.com/2011/11/04/janes_addiction_-_dave_navarro_inte.php#photo-1

Michael did Dangerous, Black or White and Heal The World at that show. Only the first part of Dangerous was ever broadcast on the CSpan network. There are lots of photos but no video. Just like United We Stand Man In The Mirror.

0908171046025404841_479977_v1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for answering so fast Lucilla and Stella. :)

@Stella: did he sing live ?

Not sure. Here is the video of Dangerous.

[youtube]UXxEHKEVbtc[/youtube]

This was just a couple of weeks after he did Dangerous at the American Bandstand 50th Anniversary show. Actually, he did it twice at that show - two takes.

^^^ Thx, that's the part i've already seen. :(

EDIT: oops, hadn't read the part under the video. I'm not sure i saw the video you posted before.

Edit number two: no i had not seen this one, i had only seen the American bandstand one. :)

Last edited:
^^^ Thx, that's the part i've already seen. :(

EDIT: oops, hadn't read the part under the video. I'm not sure i saw the video you posted before.

Edit number two: no i had not seen this one, i had only seen the American bandstand one. :)

A lot of people get American Bandstand and A Night At The Apollo confused as one but they were two separate performances.

There's a moment that I was supposed to do a guitar solo and he wanted it to look like I was lost in the moment and kept soloing and he was trying to get me to stop but I blew him off and kept going...but he was very sincere and gentle and was like, "Okay, I'm going to come up and I'm going to touch you and you're going to think I want you to stop but I want you to keep going. It's just, this is part of the show." And he was explaining it to me but he was trying to explain, "I don't mean to get into your space, I'm doing this for the show." And I was like, "Yeah, I get that, no problem." So that was a pretty great thing.

He did that for Slash too. :D I hope this performance gets released some day.

Since it wasn't mentioned here, Michael performed Heal The World with Diana Ross and a choir (can't remember the name of the choir) :)

Great words from Dave, I decided I will become fan of his :bow:

So funny what he said washing Michael's car:)

From the Sway interview, I get the feeling that Dave's time with the Chili Peppers wasn't that pleasant.

Back