The Supremes Appreciation Thread

MJBT

Proud Member
The Supremes are one of my favourite groups listening to their tunes always gets me out of a bad mood I personally prefer the original line up of Florence Ballard, Mary Wilson, Diana Ross to the subsquent line ups mainly because I'm a huge Florence Ballard fan and which ever line up your prefer share your love :)

Few of my favs:)

I hear a symphony is one of them too:clapping:

Without Michael I would've missed Supremes altogether. He talked about Diana and the Supremes so I had to check them out:chillin:

Few of my favs:)

I hear a symphony is one of them too:clapping:

Without Michael I would've missed Supremes altogether. He talked about Diana and the Supremes so I had to check them out:chillin:

I grew with my parents playing Motown tunes

[video=youtube;iU_E0lLhFIA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU_E0lLhFIA[/video]
Disc 1: Original LP in mono/stereo and outtakes

Love is Like An Itching In My Heart (Mono)
This Old Heart of Mine (is Weak for You) (Mono)
You Can’t Hurry Love (Mono)
Shake Me, Wake Me (When It’s Over) (Mono)
Baby I Need Your Loving (Mono)
These Boots Are Made for Walking (Mono)
I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch) (Mono)
Get Ready (Mono)
Put Yourself In My Place (Mono)
Money (That’s What I Want) (Mono)
Come and Get These Memories (Mono)
Hang On Sloopy (Mono)
Love is Like An Itching In My Heart (Stereo)
This Old Heart of Mine (is Weak for You) (Stereo)
You Can’t Hurry Love (Stereo)
Shake Me, Wake Me (When It’s Over) (Stereo)
Baby I Need Your Loving (Stereo)
These Boots Are Made for Walking (Stereo)
I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch) (Stereo)
Get Ready (Stereo)
Put Yourself In My Place (Stereo)
Money (That’s What I Want) (Stereo)
Come and Get These Memories (Stereo)
Hang On Sloopy (Stereo)
Mickey’s Monkey
It’s Not Unusual
(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (Alternate Vocal) *
Uptight (Everything’s Alright) (Alternate Vocal) *
In My Lonely Room (Alternate Mix) *

Disc 2: More A’ Go-Go *

He’s All I Got (Alternate Vocal)
(Love is Like a) Heat Wave (Version 1)
It’s the Same Old Song (Version 1)
Mother Dear (Version 3 – Alternate Mix)
Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart (Alternate Mix)
Can I Get a Witness (Alternate Vocal)
Don’t Let True Love Die (Alternate Vocal)
Just a Little Misunderstanding (Alternate Mix)
Come On and See Me (Alternate Mix)
This Old Heart of Mine (is Weak for You) (Alternate Vocal)
Money (That’s What I Want) (Alternate Vocal)
Put Yourself In My Place (Alternate Vocal)
These Boots Are Made for Walking (Alternate Vocal)
Hang On Sloopy (Alternate Mix)
Get Ready (Alternate Mix)
Slow Down (Alternate Mix)
What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted (Alternate Mix)
What the World Needs Now is Love (Alternate Mix)
Blowin’ In the Wind (Alternate Mix)
With a Child’s Heart (Alternate Vocal)
Let the Music Play (Alternate Mix)
Shake Me, Wake Me (When It’s Over) – The Supremes & The Four Tops
Love is Like An Itching In My Heart (Early Versions – The Scratch-It Mix)
Love is Like An Itching In My Heart (The SupreMix)

I agree, they were an incredible group and I think the Ballard/Wilson/Ross line up was the best, although the Cindy Birdsong era was not too bad either.
The set above looks okay but has too many remixes.
The best Supremes collection was the 1986 Anthology one, which I have and listen to it a lot.
Why? - Because it covers the period before they were stars, and the period after Diana Ross had gone.
All the recordings are original and there is no remixing, add ons, re recordings (I can't stand these on any album)
This is the song list.
1. Your Heart Belongs to me - 1962
2. Let me go the right way - 1962
3. A Breathtaking guy - 1963
4. When the lovelight ... - 1963
5. Standing at the Crossroads of Love - 1963
6. Run, Run, Run - 1964
7. Where did our love go - 1964 #1
8. Baby Love - 1964 #1
9. Ask Any Girl - 1964 B side
10. Come see about me - 1964 #1
11. Stop! in the name of Love - 1965 #1
12. Back in my Arms Again - 1965 #1
13. Nothing but heartaches - 1965 #11
14. I hear a symphony - 1965 #1
15. My world is empty without you - 1966
16. Love is like an itching in my heart - 1966
17. You can't hurry love - 1966 #1
18. You Keep me hanging on - 1966 #1
19. Love is here and now you're gone - 1966
20. The Happening - 1967 #1 (My favourite song of their's)
21. A Hard Days Night - 1964 (From, a little bit of Liverpool)
22. Funny How time slips away - 1964
23. You Send Me - 1965 (Great version of the Sam Cooke classic)
24. Falling in Love with Love - 1965
25. I'm the Greatest star - 1968 From Diana Ross and Supremes sing Funny Girl (This song is incredible, and she is nearly as good as Barbra)

The last 5 songs on Disc 1 are from Berry Gordy grooming them to be lounge entertainers and come mostly from their 1965 Copa
engagement. The songs were elegant and suited Diana, but Florence was not keen on them and resented how Diana was the star and her
and Mary were merely backing singers in Berry and Diana's eyes. In reality Florence had the voice and the charisma, but as a larger girl
did not catch Berry's eye like Diana did. By 1965 Berry and Diana were having an affair which would last well into the 70s.

It is good to have them here, as they were never big hits like the girl group pop singles were. Also great about disc 1 is the inclusion of Tracks 1 - 6 and 8 when they were derided as the "No hit Supremes" and apart from Track 4 which was a minor hit, these songs were all flops. The Supremes were nearly dropped at the end of 1963, when they had no real hits, whilst the Marvelettes and the Vandellas were having hit after hit and even the Velvettes were outdoing them. Of course with the release of Where did our love go in July 1964, that all changed and the Supremes became the female equivalent of the Beatles chartwise. I actually like these early songs and are amazed they were not hits (Then again in 1962, they were only 17/18)
Disc 2 is two parts, Tracks 1 - 12 are Diana Ross and the Supremes as the group was renamed in mid 1967. Florence was unjustifiably fired and ended up dying in misery in 1976. She never forgave Diana Ross. Cindy Birdsong from Patti Labelle's group was bought in to replace her.
Tracks 13 - 24 are Post Ross Supremes, Jean Terrell was drafted as new lead singer, and more supremes would come and go with Birdsong leaving and Scherrie Payne coming in after Jean, but Mary Wilson stayed right through - never as lead singer, her goal all along.
1. Reflections - 1967 #1 The China Beach theme song
2. In and out of love - 1967
3. Forever came today - 1968
4. Some things you never get used to 1968
5. Love Child - 1968 #1
6. I'm living in shame - 1968 (Has the same beat structure as above, now they were getting lazy with filler songs on albums)
7. I'm gonna make you love me - 1968 (With the Temptations - a huge hit #3)
8. The Composer - 1968
9. I'll Try something new - 1968 with the Temptations
10. The Young Folks - 1969
11. No matter what sign you are - 1969 (Total filler these 2 tracks)
12. Someday we'll be together - 1969/1970 - Diana's swansong and one of their best jams
13. Up the ladder to the roof - 1970 #10 (First post Diana song, this lush number has a cool meowing girl lick in it)
14. Everybody's got the right to love - 1970
15. Stoned Love - 1970 #7 Biggest post Diana Hit
16. Nathan Jones - 1971 (Music now has a very 1971 Pimp daddy, Honey Cone, Jean right type feel)
17. Floy Joy - late 1971, another Top 20 smash
18. Touch - 1972 Great sexy ballad
19. Autimatically Sunshine 1972
20. Your wonderful sweet sweet love - 1972
21. I'll guess I'll miss the man - 1972 Another great ballad about a hard to love man
22. Bad Weather - 1973 - More upbeat
23. It's all been said before - 1975 More discoey the last two tracks
24. I'm Gonna let my heart do the walking - 1976, Discoey dance song with classic "I'm gonna wash that man right out of my hair" type lyrics.

The best thing about this album, is its completey diva and dramatic music, probably why gay boys like me love it.

^^#24 and #25 are also on the albums The Supremes sing Rodgers and Hart and The Supremes sing Funny Girl-two of my most favorite albums ever-right behind Off the Wall. I have the old album versions that I have played to death, but I also have a CD of them singing the Copa, that I listen to occasionally. Not so sure that Berry was grooming them to be "lounge singers" since that kinda has a negative connotation, but definitely was pushing them to be a cross over Las Vegas act-a la Nat King Cole and Sammy. It worked too, because they were on every variety show ever when I was a kid.

Interesting that you say Florence had the voice and the charisma-I don't remember if I ever saw the Supremes with Florence because I was a little kid when they hit it big and Cindy looks a lot like Florence. But even when I was little, I never saw anyone with Diana's charisma-that glamorous, sexy flirtatiousness just oozed out of her. She was magic to me-I was barely aware of the other Supremes in the background.

I'll have to look up some of these songs you recommended-bet this is good. (except for The Happening). They sang that so much on so many shows that I got sick of it.

That is so cool you saw them. Florence Ballard was really important and one of the famous Motown tragedies like Paul Williams, Eddie Kendricks and Marvin Gaye. She was born a year before Diana and Mary in 1943 and was mixed race rather than Black. Florence was bright and had a lot of Charisma. Both versions of Dreamgirls show that the early days of the Supremes were based around her.

Florence was the original lead singer in the days of the Primettes (1960/61) and the group wa sa Quartet with a snother girl called Betty McGlynn I think and she left, leaving the threesome. the girls were from the Brewster projects, with Ballard's and Wilson's parents being poor and Johnnie Mae Wilson (Mary's mother) was completely illiterate, Berry found that out, when she had to sign Mary's Contract as the girls were underage. However Fred and Ernestine Ross were upper middle class and this rubbed off on the more elegant and demanding Diane Ross.

They formed sometime in the late 1950s and were an answer group to Otis Williams and the Primes (Before they became the Temptations). In early 1960 the 15/16 year olds Diane, Mary and Betty went to Hitsville with their leader 17 year old Florence and wanted to sign, but Berry tld them to finish high school and practice more before he would sign them. Apparently another tale goes they added backing vocals to other singers tracks (Although it is likely this is false and it wa sthe usual backing group - The Andantes). At the end of the 1960/61 school year Berry signed them and instantly wanted to get rid of the name Primette, wondering what on earth a Primette was.

Much thinking later came up with a grander name, the Supremes - In mid 1961 their first single Buttered Popcorn came out and was a flop. However Berry liked their look and admired Florence's pushiness and Diane's beauty, but being underaged he would not touch her (It was not actually until 1964 when Diane was 20 and they had sex). At the time Florence was the lead singer, but Berry saw Diane had a softer yet more thrilling lead and starting in early 1962 pushed her to the front. Mary on the other hand was happy just to be in the group and carried her backing harmonies well. Berry also encouraged Diane to become Diana as it sounded more elegant and mysterious.

The first album in 1962 - Meet the Supremes sold poorly but contained all their songs from 1961/1962 and at the start showed the 3 girls as separate personalities all with talent and the songs had leads from all 3 Supremes. They were on the 1962 and 1963 Motortown revues but were chaperoned by Ernetine as they were 17/18 and full of a bus of 20 - 25 year old male singers with limitless libidoes. The tour which had many segregated venues scared the girls. Also they were harassed by the Marvelettes who were the queens, with their #1 smash - please mr postman.

Starting in 1964, as where did our love go hit, Berry saw promoting Diana as a better strategy. The song also sold their 2nd album and meet the Supremes was reissued with a new cover and sold quite a few copies. The rest was history.

That is so cool you saw them. Florence Ballard was really important and one of the famous Motown tragedies like Paul Williams, Eddie Kendricks and Marvin Gaye. She was born a year before Diana and Mary in 1943 and was mixed race rather than Black. Florence was bright and had a lot of Charisma. Both versions of Dreamgirls show that the early days of the Supremes were based around her.

Florence was the original lead singer in the days of the Primettes (1960/61) and the group wa sa Quartet with a snother girl called Betty McGlynn I think and she left, leaving the threesome. the girls were from the Brewster projects, with Ballard's and Wilson's parents being poor and Johnnie Mae Wilson (Mary's mother) was completely illiterate, Berry found that out, when she had to sign Mary's Contract as the girls were underage. However Fred and Ernestine Ross were upper middle class and this rubbed off on the more elegant and demanding Diane Ross.

Ironically, I was watching Dreamgirls on ABC tonight while I was writing my previous post. Haven't seen it since it came out. Liked it more this time. Lots of references to people besides Diana and Berry. Eddie Murphy played his part as a cross of Jackie Wilson and James Brown. Even had a little Jackson 5 reference in there. And Beyonce's photoshoot in the middle reminded me of Mahogany. :) My only gripe about the movie is that they didn't thank Michael Peters at the end too.

Didn't realize Mary was content to be the backing singer either-every time I see her in an interview she seems to be griping about Diana. Maybe that's because that's all they put on YouTube.

Totally! I loved that movie with Jamie Foxx as the Berry character, Eddie Murphy as the Jackie Wilson one (I kind of saw him as a Marvin Gaye type presence too). I think they had to disguise it enough, so Motown and Miss Ross would not sue. Jennifer Hudson playing the Florence character was great too.
Beyonce was a perfect Diana Ross as Deena.

I think I got the Mary Wilson remark confused, in the early days she was content, but by 1970 with the Departure of Diana, she thought she would be the new lead singer and therefore the new Diana. And then the new Supreme would enter where Cindy had, as a backing Supreme. Not that it mattered, Jean Terrell never got same star billing and treatment Diana did and despite 2 years of hits, they never had any more number ones and were no longer Berry's prime interest. In fact by 1976, he was obsessed with a new girl group called High Inergy and its lead singer 19 year old Vernessa Mitchell. It was the last straw for the Supremes who broke up in 1977. High Inergy had only one hit (The superb, You can't turn me off, in the middle of turning me on) and Wilson had a solo album in 1979, which apparently sold something like 3,000 copies.

Sorry for the wordy ass replies, but I love Motown music and its artists. It has always fascinated me as it made some of the most perfect music ever and the marketing was 1st rate, an innovative company and pure Black Success, yet the way they treated most of its artists and the ends many of them met was just tragic. The high drama of Hitsville has fascinated me since my teens (I am 41 now) and I read every book about it I can. What I find amazing is Berry Gordy Jr is still alive and kicking at 87!

^^Berry and Quincy were my parents' age and they're both going strong. Kids from the Depression and WWII that came with nothing but talent and crazy ambition.

Saw Berry on tv the other day and he doesn't age.
Loved his book to death.

I'd lie if I told you I'm a Supremes fan but I like many of their classics. Am I the only one who prefers The Supremes over Diana Ross as a solo artist?

I'd lie if I told you I'm a Supremes fan but I like many of their classics. Am I the only one who prefers The Supremes over Diana Ross as a solo artist?
I think Diana had some great songs after she left (Touch Me in the Morning album was a favorite of mine as well as the Lady Sings the Blues soundtrack), but I always preferred the Supremes to her solo.

But then, I quit caring or listening to the Supremes after she left too.

^ Oh yeah^

7 full years and several albums and singles, had two top 10s but never any more #1s (See my lists above for 1970s Supremes songs)

The line ups after Diana Ross - 1970/72 - Jean Terrell, Mary Wilson, Cindy Birdsong
1972/73 Jean Terrell, Mary Wilson, Linda Lawrence (Ex Ikettes), 1973 - ? Scherrie Payne/Mary Wilson/Linda Lawrence
1977 - Scherrie Payne/Mary Wilson/Betty Wright?

The last two I am unsure of, but they burnt out after 1977 and Mary Wilson made a solo album called Red Hot. Then wrote a book
which became the genesis of Dreamgirls.

Diana Ross & Mary Wilson at 2019 Oscars party

tumblr_pnpzl4EnQW1rw606ko1_1280.jpg

Back