Terence Trent D'Arby aka Sananda Maitreya Talks about Michael Jackson, Music, Life, and Spirituality

Re: Terence Trent D'Arby: Michael Jackson HATED me!

Well Michael isn't here to tell his side of the story

Wow.. is he narcissistic much? I like his music but he has a serious identity disorder going on here, I was thinking to myself.. "What is he smoking in his pipe"?

I guess I'm tired, what TTD says, I don't understand. What does Michael owning the Beatles catalogue have to do with Terrance? Why was there so much hostility coming from other artists, critics, and the public toward Michael Jackson owning that catalogue? What did he do during his ownership that was different from the previous owners? From what I remember he increased the royalties that the catalogue paid out to the writers and he didn't have to do that. That catalogue passed hands 2 or 3 times before Michael bought it and he told Paul McCartney in advance that he was in the bidding for it. It was not a sneaky theft of property, the previous owner made it clear he was selling to the highest bidder.

I thought the interview was a little difficult to understand, there was just something odd about it. I did gather though that he thinks Michael would have been an even better artist if TTD was able to compete with his more.

I don’t know anything about this guy or his career besides what Wikipedia tells me, so I might be totally wrong here, but I get the feeling from this interview that he’s disappointed or bitter that he didn’t have more commercial success. I mean, it can’t be easy to watch somebody else reach astronomical success while you’ve only really had one successful album in the 80s. I read that he writes and produces all of his music, so he’s clearly very talented, and it’s probably frustrating for him if he feels like he’s not getting enough credit as an artist or that he’s not as successful as he feels he should be. It sucks, but I don’t know what Michael has to do with it.

terence just wants to see his name in papers, that's all..

Sunwalker7;3914694 said:
I thought the interview was a little difficult to understand, there was just something odd about it. I did gather though that he thinks Michael would have been an even better artist if TTD was able to compete with his more.

I don’t know anything about this guy or his career besides what Wikipedia tells me, so I might be totally wrong here, but I get the feeling from this interview that he’s disappointed or bitter that he didn’t have more commercial success. I mean, it can’t be easy to watch somebody else reach astronomical success while you’ve only really had one successful album in the 80s. I read that he writes and produces all of his music, so he’s clearly very talented, and it’s probably frustrating for him if he feels like he’s not getting enough credit as an artist or that he’s not as successful as he feels he should be. It sucks, but I don’t know what Michael has to do with it.
MJ controled those who were signed under a Sony/ATV in some way...

Where in the world is this man a legend?

Guys, Terence has become a little odd and he has some strange delusions, not only regarding MJ.

He adopted a new name, Sananda Maitreya, which he has said relates to a series of dreams he had in 1995.[SUP][8][/SUP] He legally changed his name six years later on October 4, 2001, explaining, "Terence Trent D'Arby was dead... he watched his suffering as he died a noble death. After intense pain I meditated for a new spirit, a new will, a new identity."[SUP][9][/SUP]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_Trent_D'Arby#Personal_life

So I would not take anything he says too seriously. It does not even make any sense either. MJ, the CIA and the FBI ruined his career? LOL. And what does the Beatles cataloge has to do with anything?

And while he had about two hits but how was he any threat to MJ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_Trent_D'Arby#Discography

MJ controled those who were signed under a Sony/ATV in some way...

I hope you don't take his incoherent rambling seriously.

The ATV catalogue wasn't merged with Sony's catalogue until the mid 90s. So what does that have to do with TTD's career which went into a decline right after his first album in 1987?

I hope you don't take his incoherent rambling seriously.

The ATV catalogue wasn't merged with Sony's catalogue until the mid 90s. So what does that have to do with TTD's career which went into a decline right after his first album in 1987?
Well, not so seriosly lol But who knows? :))))

Do you remember Grammy's in 1988? TTD won one for best male performance..MJ zero..

I'm not defending him... this is controversial at least..

Who the f**k is Terence Trent D'Arby???

Well, not so seriosly lol But who knows? :))))

Do you remember Grammy's in 1988? TTD won one for best male performance..MJ zero..

I'm not defending him... this is controversial at least..

Well, if someone makes an accusation then he should at least offer a coherent argument for his position for me to consider it, which TTD does not do. He claims all kind of incoherent stuff and he does not tell how they have anything to do with each other. It only make him look nuts and delusional.

How do you think it works anyway? MJ dials up Sony and orders them to sabotage their own artist who just won a Grammy? And Sony would happily do that even if said artist just won a Grammy? And how did that sabotage happen? TTD kept releasing albums, they were just not that good. As simple as that.

Who the f**k is Terence Trent D'Arby???

He had these two hits in the late 80s (which I actually liked, but c'mon he was not Michael):

After these hits the media started to hype him as the next MJ and Prince and he bought into his own hype. Then all his other albums flopped.

And now we hate him too haha

Why are some people so quick to accuse others of "hate"? TTD claimed something about MJ which, frankly, does not make any sense. How is calling him out on that "hate"?

He had these two hits in the late 80s (which I actually liked, but c'mon he was not Michael):

After these hits the media started to hype him as the next MJ and Prince and he bought into his own hype. Then all his other albums flopped.
Exactly. At one time he was considered hip and cutting edge, and he got talked up as the next Michael, but as with the rest of the anointed parade of replacements, he disappeared. And he was just as narcissistic back then as he is now.

RedMaryFlint;3914729 said:
And he was just as narcissistic back then as he is now.

Indeed. Here is an article from 1988 about him in People magazine. Just for you guys to see how narcisstic and delusional he always has been:

Singer Terence Trent D'Arby, much hyped by himself and his fans as the child that Prince and Mick Jagger never had, staged an astounding coup de rock last year when his first album, Introducing the Hardline According to Terence Trent D'Arby, debuted at No. 1 on the British pop charts. A Florida-born preacher's son who has lived in London for the past five years, D'Arby, 26, is currently touring the U.S. and rarely talks to reporters—perhaps because last year he told the London press everything that can be imagined, and more. Herewith the lines of D'Arby:

"I am a genius."

"I can justifiably say that my first album will be one of the most brilliant debuts from any artist in the last 10 years."

"I've always been blessed, or cursed, with perception."

"I know I'm meant to say I was inspired by something deep and clever, but this song reminds me of bonking."

"Looks are like honey: They'll attract flies, bees, bears, but they won't necessarily keep them. If I were ugly as hell I'd probably still be successful, but maybe not this soon."

"I have sex more often than I wash my hair."

"[In the U.S.] I obviously wouldn't say on nationwide TV that I thought America was racist, sexist, homophobic and violent if they asked me why I left. I would just say America wasn't a culture I felt comfortable in. But anybody with a brain would understand what I'm trying to say."

To the observation that some of his music sounds derivative of Sam Cooke, Michael Jackson and others: "You are what you eat."

"I have a gut instinctive feeling that I will be as massive as Madonna, as massive as Michael Jackson...Whitney Houston, sure."

"My album is better than Sgt. Pepper."

Hardline, released in the U.S. last October, currently sits at No. 8 on Billboard's album chart. D'Arby's single, "Wishing Well," is No. 2. One more thing: "Every great artist," says D'Arby, "has a certain amount of bluff."

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20098912,00.html

It seems like he has not changed in that respect...

So he was the Kanye West of the 80's

So he was the Kanye West of the 80's

Not even that. Kanye has more hits than he did. He had basically the two I posted and then disappeared.

Well, he had more than "two hits"..I remember this from '93: beautiful song

Oh, the guy who looked like Prince dressing up like MJ and still nobody remembers. YAWN.

respect77;3914724 said:
How do you think it works anyway? MJ dials up Sony and orders them to sabotage their own artist who just won a Grammy? And Sony would happily do that even if said artist just won a Grammy? And how did that sabotage happen? TTD kept releasing albums, they were just not that good. As simple as that.
Yeah, it doesn’t make any sense. For me to believe that Michael somehow sabotaged this guy’s career I’d need some actual proof of it, not just some delusional ramblings. TTD’s first album sold well, but the next albums did poorly. Is that Michael’s fault too? Did he somehow manipulate the entire record buying public everywhere in the world not to buy TTD’s albums? I know he’s influential and all, but that seems a little much even for him…

just another artist who can't recognize their own demerits in not correspond their high expectations of success.

PS I love his song "seasons"

I don't think Michael had anything to do with it, TTD just couldn't push through the envelope. He is talented but just didn't have that charisma or appeal that catapults one beyond their talent into a mega star. He can't blame Michael for that. He was never any competition to Michael. I don't think Michael hated him or felt threatened by him for that matter. He had a small window in the 80's early 90's where he was popular but short lived. I guess he is saying if Michael wasn't so popular he would have had a chance at bigger success. I like some of his music , but for the most part there is nothing epic or memorable for me. In my opinion he went off the deep end in his own imagination that no one can relate to or be endeared to. I certainly don't dislike or hate him.

Here is a written interview with himself (Mayor of Zooathalon)
http://www.sanandamaitreya.com/thp/site/writing_single/98

Here is a live interview - well not an interview just his thoughts on his music and him lamenting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvQQNId3iM8&feature=share&list=PLE05B8A1AB8FBDC77

Just another attention seeker

Michael "hated him"? He's trying to raise his value by saying that a star like MJ hated him with so much passion as if Michael felt seriously threatened by him

Back