Quincy Jones sues Michael Jackson’s estate over royalties

billyworld99

Proud Member
Associated Press, Updated: Friday, October 25, 4:49 PM

LOS ANGELES — Quincy Jones is suing Michael Jackson’s estate claiming he is owed royalties on some of the superstar’s hits and was improperly deprived of a producer credit on music used in the “This Is It” film.

Jones’ lawsuit filed Friday in Los Angeles seeks millions in damages from the singer’s estate. The suit claims Jackson’s estate re-worked some of the superstar’s music that Jones produced and cut him out of the royalties and other profits.

The producer is also asking a judge to order Jackson’s estate to provide a full accounting of its proceeds to determine how much he is owed. Jones produced some of Jackson’s most popular albums, including “Off the Wall” and “Thriller.”

Jackson’s estate had no immediate comment on the lawsuit.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...5ff4d8-3dd0-11e3-b0e7-716179a2c2c7_story.html

And he realizes this now because.......... we are still in 2009? -_-

complaint here - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/custom/Documents/ESQ/quincyjones.pdf

Quincy Jones Files $10M Lawsuit Over Michael Jackson Music (Exclusive)
4:20 PM PDT 10/25/2013 by Eriq Gardner

The producer of the singer's most famous work alleges "clandestine agreements" intended to deprive him of full royalties owed from posthumous releases.

Quincy Jones has filed a $10 million breach-of-contract lawsuit in connection with Michael Jackson projects released after the singer's death.

The legendary producer who has won 27 Grammy Awards and produced the King of Pop's best-selling albums including Off the Wall, Thriller and Bad, is going to war with Sony Music Entertainment and MJJ Productions, a song company controlled by the icon's estate. At issue are works including the This is It film and soundtrack album, the Michael Jackson Cirque du Soleil productions and the 25th anniversary edition of the Bad album.

In a complaint filed on Friday in Los Angeles Superior Court and obtained by The Hollywood Reporter, Jones alleges that master recordings he worked on were wrongfully edited and remixed so as to deprive him of back-end profit participation. Jones also asserts that he has been denied credit for his work on the singer's posthumous releases and that MJJ and Sony have entered into side deals taking profits that should have been included in the calculation of royalties.

“Quincy has been frustrated with these matters for a number of years, felt he was not making any progress and needed to take more formal action," says Henry Gradstein, his attorney.

Jones made agreements with Jackson in 1978 and 1985 for work on the singer's solo albums. The contracts are said to have stipulated that Jones be given the first opportunity to re-edit or re-mix any of the master recordings, that the coupling of master recordings with other recordings required his prior written consent and that he be given producer credit for each of the master recordings. The deal also entitled the producer to additional compensation -- including upfront payment and a "backend" percentage -- in the event of remixed masters.
After the producer was hired, Jackson signed a recording agreement with Epic Records, a subsidiary of Sony. The record deal entitled Jones to payments, credit, the approval of biographical material and regular accounting. Jones contends that he is a third-party beneficiary of this recording agreement.

After Jackson's death on June 25, 2009, the King of Pop had a resurgence of popularity, and the executors of his estate and those who had control over his work attempted to exploit the public's appetite for new works. That October, Columbia Pictures released This is It, from AEG Live and The Michael Jackson Company, which showed preparations for what would have been the singer's last concert tour. Two years later, Cirque du Soleil premiered a traveling theatrical show entitled "Michael Jackson: The Immortal Tour," which has grossed an estimated $300 million to date. This past May, Cirque du Soleil came out with a new production entitled "Michael Jackson: One." Soundtracks for both the film and the Cirque du Soleil productions have also been released.

The film and its soundtrack included re-edits of songs like "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough," "She's Out of My Life," "Thriller," "Beat It," "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'," and "Billy Jean." The Cirque du Soleil production and album included re-edits of many of those songs as well as "Burn the Disco Out," "Workin' Day and Night," "Baby Be Mine" and more.

Jones says the terms of his deal were breached when MJJ allowed third parties to exploit these works "without first providing a reasonable opportunity to Jones to perform such re-mixes and/or re-edits."

Then, the complaint goes into "clandestine agreements" allegedly made that had the effect of reducing Jones' royalties.

The lawsuit states Jones' belief that the Jackson parties "secretly entered into a venture agreement with Sony" where Sony and the Jackson Label would share profits. But Jones also alleges that rights to the master recordings "reverted from Sony to MJJ" and albums featuring the performances of Jackson were "distributed by the Jackson Label, instead of Sony, including albums embodying one or more of the Masters."
Thus, the defendants are charged with an effort to "divert" revenues to MJJ and "disguise" the revenues as "profits" instead of "royalties."
According to the lawsuit, "By removing such Disguised Royalties from the pool of revenues upon which Jones' royalties are calculated, MJJ purposely reduces the royalties… payable to Jones under both of the Agreements."

The lawsuit alleges another secret agreement between Sony and producers of the This is It film. Sony-owned master recordings were licensed, but the deal allegedly "divides the compensation payable to Sony into one portion designated for the master use licenses (the "Master Use License Fees") and another portion paid directly to MJJ (the "Additional Fees").

This is another way that Jones figures he's been deprived of royalties due to him , and it's further said that "the Master Use License Fees do not represent the fair market value, negotiated in good faith, to license the masters used in the Film."
Jones is seeking at least $10 million in damages for breach of contract, and less specifically, he wants unpaid royalties due to him, re-mixing fees that would otherwise have been paid, and compensation for the loss of the value of credit he would have received. He's also demanding an accounting.

in a statement to THR, Howard Weitzman, lawyer for the Michael Jackson Estate, says the estate "was saddened to learn that Quincy Jones has filed a lawsuit seeking money from Michael's estate. To the best of its knowledge, Mr. Jones has been appropriately compensated over approximately 35 years for his work with Michael."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/quincy-jones-files-10m-lawsuit-651045

Are his claims legit?

Well, if he is owed money per the contracts and agreements he made with MJ then I guess he should be paid.

Hella late though.

Last edited:
Is he mad that he wasn't involved in the projects or they didn't ask to be part of it? I don't understand what is going on here.

tumblr_min1azEQq71r116s7o1_400.gif
Let's see.... :coffee:

“quincy has been frustrated with these matters for a number of years, felt he was not making any progress and needed to take more formal action," says Henry Gradstein, his attorney.

Henry Gradstein??<_<

That's the same attorney who is representing Wade Robson in his money grab attempt!:puke:

^He is? Are you sure the same lawyer?

Yep, I'm sure. It's says Gradstein & Marzano lawfirm right there on that complaint. It's like sharks drawn to blood in the water. Gradstein must be the man for the job to try to shakedown the estate. Ridiculous!

Yep, I'm sure. It's says Gradstein & Marzano lawfirm right there on that complaint. It's like sharks drawn to blood in the water. Gradstein must be the man for the job to try to shakedown the estate. Ridiculous!

Well that is just really sad.

I would not have had any problems with this because if he's owned then he's owned. But then I saw he has the same lawyer as Wade Robson. WTF? Is this guy running around convincing people around MJ to sue his Estate?

I wonder if Gradstain went to him and convinced him to sue in order to put more pressure on the Estate and hope that maybe that would make them settle with Wade.

Last edited:
His whole lawsuit is based on "secret agreements" that he nor anyone else saw and we dont even know whether they indeed exist . It seems this particular lawyer has a habit of making up scenarios to blackmail the defendants.

"Jones made agreements with Jackson in 1978 and 1985 for work on the singer's solo albums. The contracts are said to have stipulated that Jones be given the first opportunity to re-edit or re-mix any of the master recordings, that the coupling of master recordings with other recordings required his prior written consent and that he be given producer credit for each of the master recordings."

Is Mr Jones pissed off that he wasn't asked at all to do re-edit or re-mix?
I'm sorry but Jones is too old for current music business to re-edit or re-mix anything:)

I have to say that suing Michael seems to be a pot of gold for LA Lawyers, and his money keeps these law companies afloat.

Last edited:
Michael didn't have him remix or edit the songs on Thriller 25 either when he was alive. Why didn't he sue then? and is he suing over that as well now. Quincy may have some valid claims (we will have to wait and see) but the fact he is using the same Attorneys as Wade Robson really disturbs me and question his motives. I truly hope he wasn't aware of that. Something seems very fishy (stinky) with that.

Michael didn't have him remix or edit the songs on Thriller 25 either when he was alive. Why didn't he sue then?

I wonder if there was a written consent by Quincy back then.

and is he suing over that as well now. Quincy may have some valid claims (we will have to wait and see) but the fact he is using the same Attorneys as Wade Robson really disturbs me and question his motives. I truly hope he wasn't aware of that. Something seems very fishy (stinky) with that.

I agree. I'm not bothered by Quincy suing the Estate. If he's right then he's right and if he's wrong it will be dealt with in front of the proper legal forums. But I'm really disturbed by the fact that his lawyer is the same as Wade Robson's. Something is really fishy about it. I don't believe in such a coincidence nor do I believe Quincy deliberately hand picked the very same lawyer who represents WR. What I believe is that this guy approaches people in MJ's life and tries to find a way for them to sue MJ's Estate and make money.

I'm speculating but I wonder if this is how it started with Wade. After all this is really the guy's speciality: copyright issues and not child abuse allegations. So I wonder if initally this guy contacted Wade enquiring about a possibility to sue MJ's Estate over some copyright/business issue, but when he learnt that it's not possible in WR's case they switched strategy to child abuse allegations.

He's also demanding an accounting.

I wonder this is also a way for Wade's lawyer to be able to look into the Estate's finances and adjust Wade's claims accordingly.

Why is the bbc reporting this on their news channel. quite news day or what. funny they dont report on the twenty million others!

whether hes got a legit claim or not hes still a vile old man who can go jump for the things hes said about mj. and hiring robsons lawyer sums it up.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Quincy Jones sued Michael Jackson's estate claiming he is owed millions in royalties and production fees on some of the superstar's greatest hits.

Jones' lawsuit Friday seeks at least $10 million from the singer's estate and Sony Music Entertainment, claiming the entities improperly re-edited songs to deprive him of royalties and production fees. The music has been used in the film "This Is It" and a pair of Cirque du Soleil shows based on the King of Pop's songs, the lawsuit states.

Jones also claims that he should have received a producer's credit on the music in "This Is It." His lawsuit seeks an accounting of the estate's profits from the works so that Jones can determine how much he is owed.

The producer worked with Jackson on three of his most popular solo albums, "Off the Wall," ''Thriller" and "Bad."

Jackson's estate wrote in a statement that it was saddened by Jones' lawsuit. "To the best of its knowledge, Mr. Jones has been appropriately compensated over approximately 35 years for his work with Michael," the statement said.

An after-hours message left at Sony Music's New York offices was not immediately returned.

Jackson's hits "Billie Jean," ''Thriller" and "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" are among the songs Jones claims were re-edited to deprive him of royalties and his producer's fee.

Jones' lawsuit states the producer's contracts called for him to have the first opportunity to re-edit or alter the songs, in part to protect his reputation.

http://music.yahoo.com/news/quincy-jones-sues-michael-jacksons-estate-234722613.html

Re: Quincy Jones Is Suing MJ Estate!

I think this is a money-grab! But who knows?!

It sounds like a money grab to me. All this talk about secret agreements, etc. And then the fact that if he truly felt he was cheated, he would have pursued this years ago, right after This Is It came out. Now here we are four years later with the knowledge that Michael's Estate is making record amounts of $$$$$, these people from long ago in the past come around saying they were cheated, etc. Quincy needs to move on and get over his bitterness.

If Jones is owed money then he should be paid. But it is more then just strange that he shares the same lawyer as Wade Roberson.

Just a few day ago he tweeted how great the marching band tribute to Michael was. If he is owed then I agree he should get what he is suppose to get. Maybe he doesn't know the connection to his lawyer has with Wade. I don't like it at all.

You know everytime there is some positivity going on and then how much money the estate is making bang the next day or so somebody is suing the estate for something. It's annoying to see and makes you wonder who is next. Is Conrad Murray going to sue next? That would drive me off the cliff.

Just a few day ago he tweeted how great the marching band tribute to Michael was. If he is owed then I agree he should get what he is suppose to get. Maybe he doesn't know the connection to his lawyer has with Wade. I don't like it at all.

You know everytime there is some positivity going on and then how much money the estate is making bang the next day or so somebody is suing the estate for something. It's annoying to see and makes you wonder who is next. Is Conrad Murray going to sue next? That would drive me off the cliff.

I know. It's sad and it now seems as long as the money keeps rolling in, some people are going to try to find a way to grab a piece of the pie. I don't think it's ever going to end in our lifetime, anyway.

I think it is just a coincidence that Quincy has the same lawyer as Wade. Seemingly Maryann Marzano (WR attorney's parter named in the lawsuit document) has more cases like this, see the following like:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/aimee-mann-files-huge-copyright-590747

Hollywood reporter got exclusive with Aimee Mann case, and now they got a scoop with Quincy. Seemingly Henry Gradstein's company has their very own media outlet.
I wonder if Henry R thought if this gets plenty of media attention, the estate will settle, although he should know if WR case didn't rattle executors, this one is peanuts.

Michael didn't have him remix or edit the songs on Thriller 25 either when he was alive. Why didn't he sue then?

Good question?

Last edited:
Typical money grab attempt. I expect this suit to be thrown out at some point.

Also, I hope the Estate won't cooperate with Forbes from now on. Every time they report on MJ earnings, the wolves come out the woodwork making frivolous claims.

Last edited:
I think it is just a coincidence that Quincy has the same lawyer as Wade. Seemingly Maryann Marzano (WR attorney's parter named in the lawsuit document) has more cases like this, see the following like:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/aimee-mann-files-huge-copyright-590747

Hollywood reporter got exclusive with Aimee Mann case, and now they got a scoop with Quincy. Seemingly Henry Gradstein's company has their very own media outlet.
I wonder if Henry R thought if this gets plenty of media attention, the estate will settle, although he should know if WR case didn't rattle executors, this one is peanuts.

Good question?

The strange thing is not that he represents Quincy. Gradstein's speciality is royalties/business issues. The strange thing is rather that he represents Wade because his specialities do not include child abuse allegations. Even at the beginning of WR's case many fans remarked that it's odd. Now I wonder if it started with first weighing Wade's possibilities to sue the Estate on some business term (for example in connection with the Cirque stuff, Opus, Wade's earlier contract with MJJ Productions etc.) I wonder if they found no real opportunity there and that's how it all turned into child abuse allegations. Because the choice of lawyer for that case is certainly very odd.

I don't believe this is a coincidence. Gradstein is certainly not the only lawyer in LA and I guess there are plenty who deal with royalties as well. Gradstein now demands access to the Estate's finances through Quincy's case. That's information he could use for WR's case as well and I don't think it would be fair.

Could the estate say this is a conflict of interest the same lawyer different cases?

Looking at these claims of "secret agreements", I wonder if he's hoping other people who worked on the albums like Bruce Swedien, etc will suddenly now want to join in with this suit too. Is that why he made it so public? He couldn't get other people to join in with Wade, so he's trying it with Quincy?

I don't even freaking get why he's suing tbh. And what a "coincidence" this lawsuit came few days after Forbes reported Michael is making even more money than current alive performers and/or celebrities. This shows his senility and more betrayal to Michael when he can't defend himself anymore. What a vindictive bitter!

Back