Michael Schumacher injured in a skiing accident in France

WasAlwaysThere

Proud Member
Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher has been injured in a skiing accident in Meribel, France.
The German, 44, who retired from Formula 1 for the second time at the end of the 2012 season, was taken by helicopter to hospital in Moutiers.

Christophe Gernignon-Lecomte, director of the Meribel resort, told Radio Monte Carlo Sport: "He was shocked, a little shaken but conscious.

"It may be a head injury but it is not very serious."

He added: "He was wearing a helmet and banged [his head] against a rock."

Schumacher won seven world championships and secured 91 race victories during a 19-year career in Formula 1.

He won two titles with Benetton in 1994 and 1995 before switching to Ferrari in 1996 and going on to win five straight titles from 2000.

The German retired from the sport in 2006, but returned in 2010 with Mercedes. After three seasons which yielded just one podium, he quit the sport at the end of 2012.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25542340

Have a prompt recovery Michael.

I used to support him when he raced. I was scared for him because initial reports did not look good but now they say his injuries are not life threatening so I hope he'll be alright.

However, the news now do not look so good. They say his condition worsened.

Stay strong, Michael!

Now his management confirms he's in coma and critical condition. :(

The official statement

Mr Schumacher was admitted to the Grenoble University Hospital Centre at 12:40, after a skiing accident which took place in in Méribel at the end of the morning.

He suffered a serious cranial trauma and was in a coma when he arrived, which necessitated an immediate neuro-surgical intervention.

He remains in a critical condition.

News this morning about his condition are very worrying :(

56582332-1-522x293.jpg

The German Formula One legend skiing in Italy in 2006

At a press conference this morning, in Grenoble, doctors said he had suffered many lesions to his brain and his prognosis was unclear.

"He's in a critical situation - this is considered to be extremely serious," Chief Anaesthetist Jean-Francois Payen told journalists.The doctor said that Schumacher's family were at his bedside and doctors were working "hour by hour" to help him.

"We are working day and night at his bedside," Dr Payen said. "It is too early to say anything as far as prognosis is concerned," he added.

Dr Payen said doctors had removed a clot to his brain and were now trying to reduce dangerous swelling.

Dr Payen added: "I'd say this accident happened in the right place because he was taken into hospital immediately and operated on as soon as he arrived, this meant his state is critical and he is still in a coma and he will be kept in a coma.

"Everything that needed to be done has been done at the moment we can't really say when he will recover, we cannot answer this yet."

Hospital director Professor Stéphane Chabarde said: "I came here not in terms of a doctor but as a friend. I'd like to thank everyone for the support and the excellent medical team who treated him so well.

"I am very worried just like his family, we are very worried about his condition. the doctors won't tell you more because they can't tell you more, they are working hour by hour."

Sky Sports News journalist Gernot Bauer said four world-renowned doctors were looking after the driver.
Schumacher was wearing a helmet when he reportedly hit his head on a rock while skiing in the French Alps.

The press conference was told that without the helmet Schumacher would almost certainly have died.

He was airlifted off the mountain following the accident in the resort of Meribel, in the popular Three Valleys area.

The sports star was skiing with his 14-year-old son and some friends when the accident occurred.

Complete article at: http://news.sky.com/story/1188296/schumacher-in-coma-and-extremely-serious

I am a huge fan of him. Get well soon Schummy :(

He is a huge fan of Michael

Very touching video where Michael "Schumi" broke down in tears when it was mentioned that he had equalled Ayrton Senna record of victories.

Keep fighting Michael! All our prayers are with you

Last edited:
Small steps but at least in a positive direction. This is gonna be a long fight.

UPDATE 1st January 2014 at 10.00 a.m:

Michael Schumacher is in a STABLE condition - according to his manager Sabine Kehm. No doctors press conference today.

[h=1]Michael Schumacher's manager criticises 'invalid' reporting[/h]
Saturday, January 4th 2014, 12:12 GMT

1388412354.jpg
Michael Schumacher's management has urged that speculative reports about the seven-time Formula 1 world champion's condition should be disregarded.
Schumacher remains in a critical but stable condition in an induced coma in a Grenoble hospital having suffered severe head injuries in a skiing accident last Sunday.
His manager Sabine Kehm issued a statement on Saturday morning underlining that information regarding Schumacher's health would only be issued via the hospital or herself, following reports that attributed comments to ex-F1 driver Philippe Streiff.
"Michael's condition remains critical but stable," said Kehm's statement.
"We would like to clearly stress that any information regarding Michael's health not coming from the doctors treating him or from his management must be treated as invalid and pure speculation.
"In consultation with the doctors treating Michael, it is not expected there there will be any press conference before Monday."
Kehm also addressed reports that police were examining footage from a helmet camera worn by Schumacher during the skiing trip on which the accident happened.
"Michael's helmet camera was voluntarily given to the investigating authorities by the family," she said.
"That this should have been done against the wishes of the family is untrue.
"We ask you to respect the continued privacy of the family."
On Friday evening Robert Kubica, who suffered life-threatening injuries of his own in his February 2011 rally crash, expressed his concern about press intrusion affecting Schumacher's family.
"I was in a similar situation and I know media can play quite a hard game in a very difficult period for him, his family and close friends," said Kubica.
"I wish him all the best and definitely keep fingers crossed he will recover and everything will be fine."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112022

[h=1]Schumacher's wife Corinna asks media to leave Grenoble hospital[/h]
Tuesday, January 7th 2014, 11:05 GMT

1389093242.jpg

Michael Schumacher's wife Corinna has asked the media to leave the Grenoble hospital where the seven-time Formula 1 champion is being treated.
Although Schumacher's condition has remained stable but critical for several days, and no hospital press conferences are planned for the time being, the media presence at the hospital has still been high.
But Corinna has asked those journalists remaining at the University Hospital to now leave so that the doctors treating her husband are left alone to focus on their jobs.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, she said: "Please support us in our common fight with Michael. It is important to me that you leave the doctors and the hospital so that they can work in peace.
"I ask you to trust their statements and leave the clinic. Please leave our family in peace."
The media coverage since Schumacher's aftermath has become a major talking point, with his manager Sabine Kehm warning at the weekend against speculation regarding his condition.
"We would like to clearly stress that any information regarding Michael's health not coming from the doctors treating him or from his management must be treated as invalid and pure speculation," she said.
French prosecutors are set to hold a press conference on Wednesday to reveal their findings in to the causes of the skiing accident that left Schumacher with serious head injuries.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112046

Comatose Michael Schumacher 'hit by lung infection'

Racing driver is said to have contracted an infection in his lungs as he remains in a coma nearly two months after skiing accident

By Josie Ensor8:58AM GMT 12 Feb 2014

Formula One legend Michael Schumacher, who is still lying in a coma in a French hospital, has contracted a lung infection, according to reports.

The effects on the fragile state of health of the 45-year-old were unknown, it said, the German newspaper Bild reported Wednesday.

Schumacher's spokeswoman, Sabine Kehm, told the newspaper: "We are not commenting on speculation."

Schumacher has been in a coma since his December 29 ski accident, when he badly injured his head, causing serious swelling of the brain.

The doctors treating him in the hospital in the French city of Grenoble two weeks ago said they were trying to coax him out of the coma by reducing his sedation.

Kehm said the process could take some time.

With little information being given to media, the hospital has been left to fend off rumours. Last Thursday, it had to deny speculation flaring on social networks that Schumacher had died.

It has been reported that Schumacher's wife Corinna spends hours talking to her husband at his bedside to try to help him round from his coma.

She has spoken to the seven-time world champion - who is being kept under anaesthetic at the University Hospital in France - every day without any response.

michael-schumacher_2784309b.jpg

Photo:REUTERS

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/10632608/Comatose-Michael-Schumacher-hit-by-lung-infection.html

girl_praying_large.gif

Michael Schumacher 'showing signs of progress'

Michael Schumacher is showing signs of improvement and even is interacting with his surroundings during short moments of consciousness, his manager has said

By News agencies7:00AM BST 14 Apr 2014
Michael Schumacher is "showing small signs of progress", his manager said on Sunday, as the Formula One driver slowly recovers from devastating brain injuries suffered in a ski accident.

"There are short moments of consciousness and he is showing small signs of progress," Sabine Kehm told German broadcaster ARD.

"There are moments when he is awake and moments when he is conscious, which make us happy and give us great courage.

"Of course I am not a doctor, but medically, there is a distinction between being awake and being conscious, the latter meaning there is an ability to interact with his surroundings.

"I don't want to disclose details out of respect for the family, but we have no doubt at all in the abilities of the doctors treating Michael, they are experts in their field."

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/10764484/Michael-Schumacher-showing-signs-of-progress.html
-

Good news at last!

[h=1]F1 legend Michael Schumacher 'out of coma'[/h]
_75551454_022717524-1.jpg
Michael Schumacher had been skiing off piste when the accident happened
Continue reading the main story [h=2]Related Stories[/h]

F1 champion Michael Schumacher has left hospital in Grenoble and is no longer in a coma, his family says.
The 45-year-old German will continue his rehabilitation at an undisclosed location, they said in a statement.
Schumacher was placed in a medically induced coma after suffering a severe head injury in a skiing accident in the French Alps on 29 December.
His family thanked people who had sent messages of support, saying: "We are sure it helped him."
They also praised the "excellent job" of medical staff at the hospital in Grenoble, in south-east France.
Doctors had kept the seven-time champion in a coma to help reduce swelling in his brain.
"Michael has left the CHU Grenoble to continue his long phase of rehabilitation. He is not in a coma anymore," Schumacher's manager, Sabine Kehm, said in a statement on behalf of his family on Monday.
"For the future we ask for understanding that his further rehabilitation will take place away from the public eye," she said, without specifying where Schumacher had been taken to.
Relatives have previously warned that "it was clear from the start that this will be a long and hard fight for Michael".
Investigators probing the accident said Schumacher had been going at the speed of "a very good skier" at the time of his crash in the resort of Meribel.
He had been skiing off-piste when he fell and hit a rock, investigators said.
Schumacher retired from racing in 2012 after a 19-year career.
He won two titles with Benetton, in 1994 and 1995, before switching to Ferrari in 1996 and going on to win five straight titles from 2000.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27868787

[h=1]Michael Schumacher's management fear medical records stolen[/h]
By Jonathan NobleMonday, June 23rd 2014, 18:59 GMT

1403550257.jpg

Michael Schumacher's management fears that stolen medical records from the seven-time Formula 1 world champion are being offered for sale.
The German suffered severe head injuries in a skiing accident last December and, after being in a coma for several months, he has only recently been transferred from hospital in Grenoble to start a long rehabilitation programme.
In a statement issued by Schumacher's management on Monday, it said that medical records that are claimed to be of Schumacher have been offered for sale.
And it warned that, with the authorities already working on the matter, it will take action against anyone who purchases them or tries to put them in the public domain.
The statement said: "For several days stolen documents and data are being offered for sale. The offeror claims them to be the medical file of Michael Schumacher.
"We cannot judge if these documents are authentic. However, the documents are clearly stolen. The theft has been reported. The authorities are involved.
"We expressly advise that both the purchase and the publication of such documents and data is forbidden.
"The contents of any medical files are totally private and confidential and must not made available to the public.
"We will therefore, in every single case, press for criminal charges and damages against any publication of the content or reference to the medical file."
Schumacher's exact condition is unknown, with the most recent statement only revealing that he was now out of a coma.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114615

Michael is my idol since I was pretty young! He'll face this challenge and will make the best out of it! He has the willing and the strength. He'll be back.
I wish him and his family the very best! And thanks for being such an inspiration!

Michael is my idol since I was pretty young! He'll face this challenge and will make the best out of it! He has the willing and the strength. He'll be back.
I wish him and his family the very best! And thanks for being such an inspiration!

I can only agree. God bless them and give them all the strength they need during these trying times.

Schumi is AND will always be a champion.

Someone should make a video with images from his career and life and use as soundtrack The world's greatest by R.Kelly.

God bless him, his entire family and everyone involved in his recovery.

I read he has left the hospital and continues his rehabilitation at home.
There is still a long and difficult way to go ahead of him his manager says.

Still sending prayers for him and his family!
I'm happy he is home.
To have loving family around will give him even more strength.

Back