The Man > Say Say Say > The Girl Is Mine

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
Lately i have been listening a lot to The Man with Mike and Paul and i have to say that i enjoy this song more than the two mentioned above.

What do you think about this song? In hindsight was it best song to come out of their collaboration?

So I'm NOT alone! :p

It wasn't until the middle of last year honestly that I began to realize how great of a song The Man is. It's so simple, both lyrically and musically, and it's so fine tuned for Michael's voice. It's songs like this that make me wish he and Paul hadn't been strained, because I would have loved to hear some more collaborations between the two of them. (Don't get me wrong, a posthumous one would be jaw dropping I would imagine, but we'll never be able to have the two of them sit down and write again together.)

It's songs like this that make me wish he and Paul hadn't been strained, because I would have loved to hear some more collaborations between the two of them. (Don't get me wrong, a posthumous one would be jaw dropping I would imagine, but we'll never be able to have the two of them sit down and write again together.)
Agreed! I'd say my favourite is Say Say Say :D

Do you guys think theres anymore songs between Paul and MJ that haven't surfaced? Or did they only work on those 3 together?

Girl Is Mine > Man > Say, Say, Say - but I love the video for Say Say Say.

Agreed! I'd say my favourite is Say Say Say :D

Do you guys think theres anymore songs between Paul and MJ that haven't surfaced? Or did they only work on those 3 together?

I really hope there is. I would have loved a duet album with th two of them, they had great chemistry

Say Say Say > The Man > The Girl Is Mine. Like all the songs, but I love Say Say Say love the way they harmonise together. I think they brought the best out of each other. I wish they would have done a duet in the Bad era that would have been amazing, but I know why they didn't.

Out of those songs Say Say Say is my favorite one. I really also L.O.V.E. the fact that it was the first of 3 MJ songs. That went to number 1 on my birthday. So that is another reason why I L.O.V.E. that song. The Girl Is Mine is the only MJ song I had never had a liking for. And believe it or not I have yet to hear The Man. So I really can't say if I like that song or not. I so wish I could get myself back in to listening to Michael again. Its been months now since I last listen to him.:(

I like Say Say Say best out of all three of those, then The Man, then The Girl Is Mine :D

I feel the same way, I thnk Say Say Say is the strongest. I like The Man but it feels like there is something missing. mostly just when they get to the line "This is the man" and hold that long note. Somehow, I don't know why, but that moment falls a bit flat for me. Also the chorus is SUPER old fashioned, but I kind of like that :)

For ages I was convinced that The Girl is Mine was written by Paul! The sound is so different from Michael's other work at that time. It's fun and playful, but probably my least favorite of all of the songs that Michael wrote (that we've heard)

I loved the point that Joe Vogel brought up in his book though, that back in the 80's hearing Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson fight over the same girl on the radio was a big deal. People wondered if the girl was black or white.

Lark

For ages I was convinced that The Girl is Mine was written by Paul! The sound is so different from Michael's other work at that time.
Lark

Maybe that's because Michael deliberately tried to write the song as something that Paul would write. :D

I actually prefer the song's demo version. Not because only Michael is on it, but because the instrumentalization sounds better to me.

Out of those songs Say Say Say is my favorite one. I really also L.O.V.E. the fact that it was the first of 3 MJ songs. That went to number 1 on my birthday. So that is another reason why I L.O.V.E. that song. The Girl Is Mine is the only MJ song I had never had a liking for. And believe it or not I have yet to hear The Man. So I really can't say if I like that song or not. I so wish I could get myself back in to listening to Michael again. Its been months now since I last listen to him.:(

Which are the two other songs if i may ask? :)

Between the three, my favourite one is "The man". As far as The Girl is Mine is concerned, I honestly prefer the demo rather than the album version.

Say Say Say > The Man > The Girl Is Mine. I've always felt "Say Say Say" is underrated.

^^ So did I, but looking at many of the responses here, Say Say Say seems to be a fan favorite :)

Aww, for me it has to be: The girl is mine > Say Say Say > The man.
The girl is mine is always everybody's least favorite song, but it's kinda special to me as it was the first song of Michael I had on a casette tape(age 7):D, and I completely fell in love with his voice.. esp the "I'm a lover not a fighter" always got to me haha. I used to hate the fact that there was 'another guy' singing on there too:laugh: So yeah for that reason, the adlibs at the end + I like the sound better, I do love the demo WAY more than the album version.

The Girl Is Mine is not really that impressive among the many great tracks of Thriller, but since I have heard the demo I have a fondness for it. I think the demo brings a lot more out of that song than the album version. That's why I rate it above Say, Say, Say, which to me as a song is a bit shallow, although the video is great and fun.

This is supposed to be an imposter? I listened to this and then listened again on You Tube and it sounds just like him. Especially at the end with his voice soaring-like the demos for Bad.

I need to go look up "The Man"I don't think I ever heard it-I think that's why I don't love "Say, Say, Say" as much as "The Girl is Mine"-I never bought Paul's record and am not as familiar with it-but the video for "Say Say Say " is perfect-one of my top 3 for sure. Love that.

OK-I apologize-I went back and figured out you all were talking about A DIFFERENT You Tube video than the one I watched-which is not Michael. :blush:

Last edited:
Sorry to sound nasty but I 'had' to switch of the impersonator during the bridge I just couldnt bare it.

The Man is a good song would be even better as a MJ solo.
The Girl is Mine is a good song quite catchy to just join in and sing any time, I can often be heard just singing the loop
Say Say Say, is again a good song this one I feel is the more radio friendly from the MJ and Mcartney duets.

The Man

I think if The Man came out in the late 1970s, it could have been a hit on Top 40 and adult contemporary. It fits with the light rock popular at the time like Cat Stevens, Ambrosia, Eagles, Little River Band, Bread, America, Player, Pablo Cruise, Fleetwood Mac, etc.

For me...

The Girl Is Mine > Say Say Say > The Man.

Back