Will You Be There Live

Doggone

Proud Member
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if there is a full or partial live version (like real live, no lip sync) of Will You Be There. I know that the rehearsal of WYBT for the Dangerous Tour where live but during the rehearsals he doesn't sing the whole song live. (You should see the rehearsal of WYBT... DAMN!!!)

L.O.V.E.

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if there is a full or partial live version (like real live, no lip sync) of Will You Be There. I know that the rehearsal of WYBT for the Dangerous Tour where live but during the rehearsals he doesn't sing the whole song live. (You should see the rehearsal of WYBT... DAMN!!!)

L.O.V.E.

none that i know of but the estate owns the dangerous tour multitracks that include michael's live vocals from his microphone.. hope they'll use those recording's in the future

none that i know of but the estate owns the dangerous tour multitracks that include michael's live vocals from his microphone.. hope they'll use those recording's in the future

Wait, he sung under the playback?

Will you be there was lip synced.

Here is the rehearsal of WYBT for the Dangerous tour. This one is sung live.

That's a common misconception. When Michael sang with dubbed vocals, he did sing live under them, but quite often (mostly on the HIStory and Dangerous tours) he didn't sing on key. He just sang loud enough for it to look real. There are a few videos of him singing In the Closet where you can hear him sing live before the playback cuts off. So his "live" vocals are pretty much unusable.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vmF9E_JcdKE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

there is very poor audio of Michael rehearsing Will You Be There live for This is It.. recorded from phones and cameras.. I will tell you it was so beautiful, I know I repeat this often but I still 4.5 years later can't get over it. I thought it was playback until he messed up the lyrics a couple times in the song...

That's a common misconception. When Michael sang with dubbed vocals, he did sing live under them, but quite often (mostly on the HIStory and Dangerous tours) he didn't sing on key. He just sang loud enough for it to look real. There are a few videos of him singing In the Closet where you can hear him sing live before the playback cuts off. So his "live" vocals are pretty much unusable.

it may sound a little out of key but to me.. it was still better than hearing the playback if i'm completely honest.. i would love them to release a dangerous tour show with the live vocal track mixed in to the 5.1

I wouldn't say he sang off key he either sang low in his typical falsetto or mimed. I have a hard time believing he would just shout off key like that. What would happen if the playback failed? Can you show me which in the closet performance you are talking about, i can't seem to find it.

it may sound a little out of key but to me.. it was still better than hearing the playback if i'm completely honest.. i would love them to release a dangerous tour show with the live vocal track mixed in to the 5.1

Great points zakk. Black Or White in Munich and London was Live due to playback failure and he sings it just fine :)

Great points zakk. Black Or White in Munich and London was Live due to playback failure and he sings it just fine :)

not all of BOW Munich is fully live, the last chorus is when the playback starts working again and he sing's live along with the playback at wembley as i imagine he was getting bored ;) hehe

not all of BOW Munich is fully live, the last chorus is when the playback starts working again and he sing's live along with the playback at wembley as i imagine he was getting bored ;) hehe

I never said Munich was fully live. I was only referring to what was obviously live (first verse, first chorus). But yeah, i don't believe that MJ would stand and sing off key throughout a concert, even if he didn't believe his mic was on, as can be seen in Wembley.

I never said Munich was fully live. I was only referring to what was obviously live (first verse, first chorus). But yeah, i don't believe that MJ would stand and sing off key throughout a concert, even if he didn't believe his mic was on, as can be seen in Wembley.

personally i think his live vocal during wembley sounded far better than the playbac.. personally i think he did use playback in the front of house mix and the tv broadcast mixed both..

Are there dangerous tour multitracks available? From which show?

Closest you will get to this:

[youtube]eo-_3VFq6VE[/youtube] (heh)

Are there dangerous tour multitracks available? From which show?

wembley for example.. just watch the televised broadcast, fairly sure they're put on different tracks tbh.. guess we'll only find out if an amateur wembley 92' audio leaks.. with the front of house mix

Why the hell he had to lipsync songs that he didn't dance? Anyway, stunning vocals in NAACP.

he did dance during will you be there, anyway.. try singing those agressive vocals whilst doing the routine without losing your voice yeah.

Human nature was no heavy dancing but still he was out of breath when he beging to sing it live, probably because of the prior number left him breathless. Im sure he had his good reasons in his own mind to use playback and it certainly wasn't because he couldn't sing. Those recording the concerts said he always sang live under songs he used playback on. I know he stated he wanted his music to sound just as it was recorded so it's possible he didn't personally didn't like the way his voice sounded live, because he was such a perfectionist. That doesn't 'mean we would not like it. Also after many concerts your voice and throat gets rough and begins to break. You can also blow out your vocal chords out if you continue. But We can speculate forever .. but No one knows the exact reasons why. MJ isn't the only one to use playback, many artists have done it in concert and it isn't because they couldn't sing.

he did dance during will you be there, anyway.. try singing those agressive vocals whilst doing the routine without losing your voice yeah.

Michael was able to sing and dance at same time, we all know that.
And the dance routine during Will You Be There was in the end of the song, he was not even singing anymore.

Human nature was no heavy dancing but still he was out of breath when he beging to sing it live, probably because of the prior number left him breathless. Im sure he had his good reasons in his own mind to use playback and it certainly wasn't because he couldn't sing. Those recording the concerts said he always sang live under songs he used playback on. I know he stated he wanted his music to sound just as it was recorded so it's possible he didn't personally didn't like the way his voice sounded live, because he was such a perfectionist. That doesn't 'mean we would not like it. Also after many concerts your voice and throat gets rough and begins to break. You can also blow out your vocal chords out if you continue. But We can speculate forever .. but No one knows the exact reasons why. MJ isn't the only one to use playback, many artists have done it in concert and it isn't because they couldn't sing..

i couldn't agree more.. i just hope we can get at least one show with those full live vocals from the multitracks :) :heart:

Human nature was no heavy dancing but still he was out of breath when he beging to sing it live, probably because of the prior number left him breathless. Im sure he had his good reasons in his own mind to use playback and it certainly wasn't because he couldn't sing. Those recording the concerts said he always sang live under songs he used playback on. I know he stated he wanted his music to sound just as it was recorded so it's possible he didn't personally didn't like the way his voice sounded live, because he was such a perfectionist. That doesn't 'mean we would not like it. Also after many concerts your voice and throat gets rough and begins to break. You can also blow out your vocal chords out if you continue. But We can speculate forever .. but No one knows the exact reasons why. MJ isn't the only one to use playback, many artists have done it in concert and it isn't because they couldn't sing.

Also songs like Will You Be There, Heal The World and Man In The Mirror were always towards the end of a concert so i'd imagine that Michael was very tired by that point and didn't want to perform with out of breath vocals.

Ballads require a lot more vocal control than the the more upbeat songs

plus, will you be there NAACP was just a random verse.. he was standing still singing it.. so, there's nothing to complain about right :)

plus, will you be there NAACP was just a random verse.. he was standing still singing it.. so, there's nothing to complain about right :)

Also at the NAACP Michael wasn't singing and dancing for an hour before that

That's simply not correct. The lead vocal, the 'playback' in question, plays throughout both Munich and Wembley. What you're hearing is Michael singing live ALONGSIDE the playback. This is a method many artists choose when performing, particularly on TV (see Rihanna). What you've got as your end result is something that kinda sounds live, but the artist still has their lead vocal backing them up as a kind of 'safety net'.

You could well be right that this was 'playback failure' to some degree, but I think it's more likely that this was a conscious decision Michael made on the night knowing that either one or both were being beamed to television at the time or near future. You might argue why he didn't do it throughout Bucharest but then a television audience would have been able to weigh up the whole show, that is Michael's live performances against his lip-synched ones, whereas with this they'd just view one single lip-synched performance, and importantly his peers in the case of the Billboard Awards in 1992.

I could defend why he did playback, and I could understand reasons why at times.. But I personally feel that he depended on it too much on the History tour. That's just my opinion!

he could have cut out so much of the playback and still sounded great...

* The entire (or most) of Scream he could have done - just a lot more.. Or even when he performed Dangerous at various events, the talking portion in the beginning.. We would be lying to ourselves to say that Michael couldn't do certain songs or portion of performances live..

I remember hearing that Michael wanted to be able to do This Is It totally live which would have been amazing..

That's simply not correct. The lead vocal, the 'playback' in question, plays throughout both Munich and Wembley. What you're hearing is Michael singing live ALONGSIDE the playback. This is a method many artists choose when performing, particularly on TV (see Rihanna). What you've got as your end result is something that kinda sounds live, but the artist still has their lead vocal backing them up as a kind of 'safety net'.

You could well be right that this was 'playback failure' to some degree, but I think it's more likely that this was a conscious decision Michael made on the night knowing that either one or both were being beamed to television at the time or near future. You might argue why he didn't do it throughout Bucharest but then a television audience would have been able to weigh up the whole show, that is Michael's live performances against his lip-synched ones, whereas with this they'd just view one single lip-synched performance, and importantly his peers in the case of the Billboard Awards in 1992.

I should have said that he sang alongside the playback in Wembley but i thought that was implied because of the obviousness that you can hear the album backtrack playing beneath his live vocals. You are wrong about Munich tho. He is not singing alongside the playback at all. The first verse and first chorus are purely live vocals. You can hear it better in the Amature audio. You do bring up very valid points but there were several Playback malfunctions in that concert. Smooth Criminal, Will You Be There and MITM to name a few. Mexico was televised as well.

1:23:13
[youtube]mHu6q3yRBE4[/youtube]

But some performances are just so damn good that you can easily forgive and forget about the lip syncing

Back