Value of MJ Memorabilia in the future

Dilan

Proud Member
Mods - I understand this is in the wrong section, however this is not about my collection specifically, or do many people check the memorabilia thread and I want opinions from many on the board.​

I was just wondering if anyone on here thinks the value of MJ memorabilia will ever decrease and if so for what possible reasons? Elvis tickets stubs or unused seem to go for a lot of money after all these years and if MJ is at the present bigger than Elvis. Following the same logic will the tickets almost certainly go up in value (even if slowly) as the years go by and never down? I collect the tickets, and don't plan to sell them but it would be sad one day if they are all half the price I paid for them it is nice to know you have something valuable in a collection, right?

Also what about the other official items? The porcelain statue seems to have little interest of the people on eBay even though it's limited to 1000. Promo CDs seem to go for a high range depending on it's rarity. People are also interested in the history world tour coins.

in about 100 years his sealed vinyl's will be worth around 50,000.. fairly sure

Doubt that one, really. The "My World" photo book was nice but I was never keeping that at £600 at the time, there's only a few things worth real money and the porcelain statue is one of them.

I think with Michael, compared to Elvis it is difficult to tell. Elvis memorabilia, of the time rather than newer pieces are rare as there wasn't the mass production that you see today. With Michael, especially in the 80s, endorsement deals and memorabilia could be found everywhere!

I think if you are looking for something that will increase in value over years, it is best to look at items either belonging to Michael or used by Michael such as clothing, autographs, signed pillowcases etc. Also seems to be a lot of artwork that Michael created on the open market at present. These are sure to soar in value!

Vinyl (sealed and rare where possible) along with rarer cd's and recorded media will always be popular amongst collectors also x x

knigofpop;3956057 said:
I think with Michael, compared to Elvis it is difficult to tell. Elvis memorabilia, of the time rather than newer pieces are rare as there wasn't the mass production that you see today. With Michael, especially in the 80s, endorsement deals and memorabilia could be found everywhere!

I think if you are looking for something that will increase in value over years, it is best to look at items either belonging to Michael or used by Michael such as clothing, autographs, signed pillowcases etc. Also seems to be a lot of artwork that Michael created on the open market at present. These are sure to soar in value!

Vinyl (sealed and rare where possible) along with rarer cd's and recorded media will always be popular amongst collectors also x x

yeah I think the personal stuff is the obvious one. In my early collecting days I was after all of those signatures, drawing etc. But at the end of the day they are so easy to fake (I have pretty much perfected MJ's signature to see how easy it is to forge) along with any old certificate you don't even know what's real anymore these days. Fans even found signature errors at that Michael Bush auction.

I guess CDs will gain value, but for some reason I don't like collecting those. Do you think Bad tour tickets will increase even if slowly as the years go by? They're selling for £30 each at the moment on eBay and the tour was almost 30 years ago.

I think that's a very difficult question to answer. I would always recommend that a collection represents things that you love, rather than things that will make you money ( or even hold their value). The problem is ...'when' do you decide to sell? When you need the money / when you need the space/ when you have to move house / when you find something else you'd rather collect? I think it is almost impossible to know in advance whether there will be any particularly good or bad time to sell in terms of 'getting your money back'. Looking at ebay for example, some times an item will sell for very little, other times the same item will sell for much more...it depends if more than one buyer happens to be looking that day. I love the items that I have, and would rather sell (or give them) to someone else who loves them (for what they represent), even if the value is not as much as I bought them for. I've enjoyed my time with them, and that is all I wanted to do.

^^ i agree, my farewell my summer love w/poster arrived today :) and earlier i ordered the stranger in moscow cd single :)

A lot of this stuff fluctuates in value.

For example the book Dancing the Dream. Right after Micheal's death that book was going for $400 dollars or more on ebay because it was a one time print. They reprinted the book in the UK and that brought the value of the first edition down significantly.

I got my first edition copy on ebay for $32 along with Moonwalker the Storybook and 4 tribute magazines last year.

EDIT: I just looked on ebay and it seems the value of this has gone back up again to between $50-$100+

Stuff like promo singles and sealed vinyl seems to hold it's value pretty well. But with Michael his face was on literally everything. There is so much MJ merch out there that, other than specific rare items it's not worth all that much.

I collect because I love Michael. Not because I care what my collection is worth but because I personally love the items in it.

As an avid MJ collector have been collecting MJ related stuff on and off since 1990. Starting with my MJ LA Gear high top sneakers. I wish now I would had kept. I would think some of the MJ related stuff will gain value. I have been on sites like Ebay where some of the MJ related stuff that I have. Has since gone up in price. Like my Dancing The Dream book. I had gotten that book over 10 years ago. Only costing me about 10 or 15 dollars at the most. Now the price of them is way more than I originally had paid for it. My singing Black Or White MJ doll along with the matching Beat It outfit. Only cost my mother about half as much they want for it now. This is going back to 2003. Both the doll and the outfit are still in mint condition. And they are still in the original boxes. And my doll still plays Black Or White perfectly. Another one of my MJ related stuff is my MJ record player. Which is still in great condition. Now cost more than what my mother had originally paid for it. About nearly 10 years ago. Though personally some of the prices that those people want for those MJ related items is a little on the crazy side. But there are some MJ related items on Ebay that you can still get real cheap. Like the Moonwalker Story Book. I had accidentally bought 2 copies of that book on Ebay again nearly 10 years ago. And they are still about the same price as I had paid for them back then. But no matter how much value some of or if not all of my MJ related stuff gains or loses. I still will not be willing to sell them. No matter how I might feel about them now. I just can not part with my MJ stuff no matter what. Even if my house was on fire right now. I would rather die in the fire with my MJ stuff. Than to get out without it. Cause most of my MJ related stuff that I have can never ever be replace. Like all of the video related stuff that I have of him. And most of it is what I had tape over the years. Going back to 1993. Like his home movies, news stories, interviews, and performances. Anyway as huge as my MJ collection is. I am still planning on one of these days collect more MJ related stuff. I collect whatever MJ items catches my eyes.

Basically though, something is only worth as much as somebody else is willing to or can afford to pay for it! Michaels "boy and the pillow" always comes to mind when I think of the value of things x

True,
I also have a great collection of Mj Stuff & would only sell if i really needed the money to help!
I must say Mj bought my care a couple of years ago because i sold one of my Mj signed hat @ Auction.But that's only because my family grew and need extra seats in my car! R.I.P MJ x

Could michael Jackson Opus be worth something in the future and dressing the king? According to my dad they will.

dont worry I'm not selling them in the furte

Could michael Jackson Opus be worth something in the future and dressing the king? According to my dad they will.

dont worry I*m not selling them in the furte

The opus might be, considering the volume of archival prints in there.. but i don*t think *Dressing The King* will be..

Back