France awards damages to Jackson fans

Bubs

Proud Member
France awards damages to Jackson fans

An unusual case in France had 34 fans suing Michael Jackson's doctor Conrad Murray for the suffering they endured due to the star's death.

Five Michael Jackson fans have won symbolic damages of one euro ($A1.55) each as a French court agreed they had suffered "emotional damage" from the pop star's death.

Played out in a court in the city of Orleans, in central France, 34 fans sued Jackson's doctor Conrad Murray, who was jailed in 2011 over the singer's death from an overdose, for the suffering they endured.

The court ruled that five of the plaintiffs - two from France, two from Switzerland and one from Belgium - had proven emotional suffering from Jackson's death.

"As far as I know this is the first time in the world that the notion of emotional damage in connection with a pop star has been recognised," said their lawyer, Emmanuel Ludot.

He hailed the plaintiffs for "going through with the process despite the sneers" it aroused.

He said they had proven their suffering "with the help of witness statements and medical certificates".

Ludot said the damages were symbolic and the plaintiffs would not be seeking to claim the one euro each from Murray, who was released in October after serving two years of his four-year sentence.

But he said they hoped their status as recognised victims would help them gain access to Jackson's grave in Los Angeles, which is closed to the public.

Jackson died in 2009 from an overdose of the anaesthetic propofol while under Murray's care, as the "King of Pop" rehearsed in Los Angeles for a series of comeback concerts in London.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/02/12/france-awards-damages-jackson-fans
---------------------------------------

Hats off to those fans who saw this through and stood their ground.
Its a pity that fans in US couldn't sue CM. The award could have been millions which could have acted as some sort of restitution

But he said they hoped their status as recognised victims would help them gain access to Jackson's grave in Los Angeles, which is closed to the public.

this part though

JUSTICE / FRANCE
Death of Michael Jackson: a symbolic euro for five fans of the King of Pop

archives-le-dl.jpg

Five fans of the late King of Pop Michael Jackson got one symbolic euro in damages under the "affection injury" by the singer's death in 2009, as they demanded Tuesday before the District Court of Orleans.

The five applicants were part of a group of 34 people who were pursuing civil Dr. Conrad Murray sentenced to four years in prison in the United States for manslaughter of the star.

The judge ruled that the five people from Switzerland, Belgium, Gironde, Pas-de-Calais and the Loiret, had demonstrated the "affliction" which they had been.

"This is the first time ever, to my knowledge, that is recognized the concept of emotional harm in connection with the death of a pop star," welcomed their lawyer, Emmanuel Ludot, joined by AFP, welcoming "to be gone through with the procedure despite the sneers" she aroused.

This precedent is all the more remarkable, according to counsel, "the link was not two-way, the fans love Michael Jackson but he did not know them personally."

The five applicants had to provide evidence of injury "with evidence or medical certificates," detailed the lawyer.

These include Myriam Walter, president of the association "Michael Jackson Community" based in Montargis (Loiret), and the origin of the procedure, further stated Mr. Ludot.

In practice, if one symbolic euro will not be called to Mr. Murray, who was released last fall through remission, "the recognition of victim status will allow my clients to request access to Burial of Michael Jackson in Los Angeles, which is closed to the public. "

Unsuccessful applicants retain the right to proceed by expanding their applications, assured the lawyer.

Source: http://www.ledauphine.com/france-mo...ro-symbolique-pour-cinq-fans-du-roi-de-la-pop

Though it's basically a symbolic win for these fans, at least SOMEBODY saw fit to try to sue/punish MJ's actual unremorseful killer, unlike the ones who betrayed MJ's privacy in a lawsuit seemingly designed to publicly embarrass a corporation into giving them a big money settlement.

When this started I did not think this case would be taken seriously by the court. I am happy that they stuck to it and won. This must be a historical event in court history, because I have never heard of anyone winning such a case before. I am glad they were able to win this even though they are not related to Michael.

I doubt Katherine will let them visit Michael's grave though, so if they think their award will give them access to the grave, they might be disappointed.

Michael Jackson Fans Awarded Damages for Grief

Orleans: Five Michael Jackson fans have won symbolic damages of one euro ($A1.55) each as a French court agreed they had suffered "emotional damage" from the pop star's death.

Played out in a court in the city of Orleans, in central France, 34 fans sued Jackson's doctor Conrad Murray, who was jailed in 2011 over the singer's death from an overdose, for the suffering they endured.

A court in Orleans, France has ruled that five Michael Jackson fans were able to prove that they had suffered "emotional damage" and awarded them each €1, or approximately US $1.36, for their trauma.

The court ruled that five of the plaintiffs - two from France, two from Switzerland and one from Belgium - had proven emotional suffering from Jackson's death.

"As far as I know this is the first time in the world that the notion of emotional damage in connection with a pop star has been recognised," said their lawyer, Emmanuel Ludot.
He hailed the plaintiffs for "going through with the process despite the sneers" it aroused.

He said they had proven their suffering "with the help of witness statements and medical certificates".

Mr. Ludot said the damages were symbolic and the plaintiffs would not be seeking to claim the one euro each from Murray, who was released in October after serving two years of his four-year sentence.But he said they hoped their status as recognized victims would help them gain access to Jackson's grave in Los Angeles, which is closed to the public.

Jackson died in 2009 from an overdose of the anaesthetic propofol while under Murray's care, as the "King of Pop" rehearsed in Los Angeles for a series of comeback concerts in London.
AFP

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/world/michael-jackson-fans-awarded-damages-for-grief-20140212-hvc14.html

Re: Michael Jackson Fans Awarded Damages for Grief

uh, wtf

Back