Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you handle someone bad-mouthing Michael in front of you?

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points

In the studio with Michael durring the Bad sessions
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: How do you handle someone bad-mouthing Michael in front of you?

I don't tell many people i love Michael for this reason. But when it does co e up, I tell them they are wrong and need to do more research. I'm a person of few words. If they keep on, I stop talking to them. And sometimes they get the picture that what they said was not cool.

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entryTagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I get very angry, the worst thing I did was, at my church none the less was say this "If you ever say that s**t faced lie again I will punch your lyin' ass, mu**af***in face off, don't test me n****..."

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheManinTheMirror For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsThree FriendsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,348 Times in 818 Posts

Ha! Does that person still talk to you? Never mess with MJ fans!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MJresearcher For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I unfriended a person today that said something nasty about Michael on Facebook.

"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ShipOfFools For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

^ I don't blame you

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I first gently try to silence them. If that doesn't work I bombard them with incontrovertible facts, which, in most cases makes them shut their mouths I made it to raise my parents quite well with this method xD

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aly_Elendil For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Good on you, don't take anyone's crap!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MJresearcher For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,464 Posts

Deep subject, folks! I've been lucky not to have come across that kind of stupidity regularly, but I have had to defend Mike about having Vitiligo (mostly to other Black people, unfortunately). They agree that the child molestation accusations were a bullsh*t attempt to stop his star from rising (and about extortion), but ironically they bought into the lie that he "hated being Black"! I've gotten into extremely heated arguments with relatives about that sh*t and when I explained to them what the skin disorder did, they still felt that he was secretly happy about "turning white". They also point out his wives and his kids as proof that he hates everything Black. It didn't help calm the flames when Quincy Jones said the same thing. . . *smh*

I asked them if they knew of every woman he's dated, slept with, dealt with and/or loved and what race they were and they said 'no'. Then I hit them with "then you can't say SH*T about who he was attracted to". It was no secret that he deeply loved Diana Ross (he even called her his 'mother, LOVER, and friend') and the last time I checked she ain't white.

People. . .
    Last edited by SheilaMJFan4Ever; 28-05-2014 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Because I'm BAD! lol

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SheilaMJFan4Ever For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

His autopsy report states that he had vitiligo, there's no argument about it. Who he married doesn't mean he didn't like his own race, and how is it his fault that his kids have lighter skin? If a white person has married two black people in their lifetime does that mean they don't like being white? No! How ridiculous! They're also acting like they were in his head, speaking about how he was "secretly" happy about becoming white.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MJresearcher For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,464 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MJresearcher View Post
    His autopsy report states that he had vitiligo, there's no argument about it. Who he married doesn't mean he didn't like his own race, and how is it his fault that his kids have lighter skin? If a white person has married two black people in their lifetime does that mean they don't like being white? No! How ridiculous! They're also acting like they were in his head, speaking about how he was "secretly" happy about becoming white.
    It goes deeper than that, especially if you add the dynamics of racism and bigotry against Black people (worldwide, but specifically in American history). The world's so-called "standard of beauty" has never been people of African descent, the image of the blonde/blue eyes/white skin has been. Of course, times are still changing, but let's not pretend the hate/bias suddenly evaporated into oblivion. Michael himself has said often he didn't think he was beautiful (in his natural state) and anyone with eyes that work can see that he WAS (look at my avatar). He didn't see his beauty because his father didn't see it in himself, hence passing that ignorance onto his own children.

I don't feel Mike hated being Black per se, but it was painfully obvious (and sad) that he wasn't completely comfortable in his own skin (vitiligo or not), nose, etc. either and that CAN affect your partner choices.

I remember a documentary done decades ago about the effects of racism/bigotry using baby dolls and little black girls. They presented a white doll and a black doll, then asked the girls which one they felt was beautiful (and why). 9 times out of 10 they picked the white doll and the reason was "black isn't pretty".

Heartbreaking. . . Hate is REAL and it can hurt.
    Last edited by SheilaMJFan4Ever; 10-06-2014 at 08:19 AM.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SheilaMJFan4Ever For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post
    I used to argue with them about it, but not anymore. Now I just walk away, but I don't keep them in my life unless I have to.
    Same exact thing w/ me. All I do is take a deep breath and leave. If I get asked why I left I will say it hurts my feelings every time someone attacks Michael, and that I have reasons why I defend him 100%.
    I too avoid & have no desire to even deal with/look at people who are MJ haters, same with cat haters. That says enough to me about them.

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

^^ That is so sad In my country many of my fellow mexicans tend to worship the non-native indigenous features and consider it a blessing to have lighter hair/skin/eyes or children with those features.It makes me so angry!(Sorry if a little OT)

Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranCreated Blog entry10000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 377 Posts

Well first I determine if they're just hating just to hate, or hating because they don't know any better.

If they're hating just to hate, then I definitely ignore them.

If they're hating because they don't know any better, I offer compassion because - well, not everyone has Michael Jackson as a priority in their lives. lol I won't fault THEM for buying into the onslaught that has brainwashed most about MJ.

Because I realized just recently that MJ's life was a VEHICLE for such things - for LEARNING. People weren't meant to look at MJ and just *snap* - automatically get and understand him. MJ lived on this planet almost as a means of reflection - reflecting things about our society, reflecting things about what is 'normal' and what isn't. It would not have been the same if Michael Jackson was easily understood. Many of us probably wouldn't be fans or had our lives changed if he were easily understood. I truly believe that was one of the reasons why God put him on this earth and why MJ had it so rough.

So with that in mind I'd try to take the time to explain to them the facts first. Then if they are receptive to the facts, I go into the deeper meanings and the heart of what MJ was about (for instance, explaining he didn't have a childhood etc. I never lead off with that. Always lead with facts and facts only, not emotional stuff). If they're not receptive to the facts, that is a sign they're hating just to hate or are generally closed minded. Time to leave them on their merry way lol It's like saying "the sky is blue' and someone is like "NO IT ISN'T"...well, then I suppose the conversation is over lol No point in arguing with people who deny facts lol

But there are people who say mean things about MJ because its 'popular' and they really haven't seen another perspective. I believe fans can open the door for those people. I"ve seen it a lot on comments on YouTube actually. Before his death, almost every MJ video was littered with hate. Now? Well MJ fans have done a good job combatting the hate with intelligent facts.

Plus I've heard insults all over the sun and theres really nothing about MJ that people can say that an MJ fan can't refute with legit facts. I'm no longer personally offended by them - partially because I know they cannot hurt MJ anymore, and partially because I realize that in the big picture of MJ's life .... those insults never could touch him. Mj was bigger than all of that and at the same time , that overall lack of understanding open my eyes...and many other eyes to just how much lies are spread in our culture and how much personal perspective can rule our lives and our opinion of others. Personal perspective does not mean ultimate truth. MJ's look on life is just as true as anyone else's, or mines or yours. Its just through a different lens. But people arent always on the up and up so I think MJ fans can educate them!

Edit: About the Racial issue: -- I agree with the whole culture aspect of it but I believe MJ has proven time and time again that he is extremely proud of his black heritage. MJ making his nose look thinner is no different from the many other black people who have gotten their noses done. Its only when MJ does it that its seen as hate or being uncomfortable with his race. Just like when black women straighten their hair - but if MJ wears anything other than an afro/curls, apparently he hates his race. If MJ dates/marries white women (when he has clearly also found black women attractive too)...he hates his race when there are tons of interracial couples thriving.

Being black and being proud of that fact is not just skin deep. But admittedly this assumption is not just directed at MJ. And it is unfortunate.

Sure I think MJ was not comfortable in his own skin - but I don't think it has anything to do with him being black.
    Last edited by J5master; 24-09-2014 at 10:57 PM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J5master For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous_Diana View Post
    Same exact thing w/ me. All I do is take a deep breath and leave. If I get asked why I left I will say it hurts my feelings every time someone attacks Michael, and that I have reasons why I defend him 100%.
    I too avoid & have no desire to even deal with/look at people who are MJ haters, same with cat haters. That says enough to me about them.
    They can be completely wonderful people in every other aspect, but not like Michael Jackson.

I try to educate them on why he's innocent, but if that doesn't work, I just leave it alone. No need to worry about that.

"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ShipOfFools For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredTagger First Class25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I used to get very angry and confrontational when people talked shit about Michael... but then I learned that it's best to ignore it completely, and don't let it get to me anymore.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to N4ty For This Useful Post: