MJ Statue Finds A Good Home At Manchester’s National Football Museum.

qbee

Proud Member
<header class="entry-header" style="line-height: 17.0625px; color: rgb(102, 102, 102); font-family: 'Lucida Grande', Arial, 'Lucida Sans Unicode', sans-serif; font-size: 11px;">MJ Statue Finds A Good Home At Manchester&#8217;s National Football Museum

</header>

article-2599156-048db0fd00000514-76_634x417.jpg

The Michael Jackson statue that so divided opinion among Fulham fans before it was removed by new owner Shahid Khan is to find a permanent home at Manchester&#8217;s National Football Museum.

The sculpture has been in a warehouse owned by former owner Mohamed Al Fayed, a close friend of Jackson, since it was taken down last September from its prominent Thames-side location at Craven Cottage.

Fayed commissioned the statue to stand outside Harrods after Jackson died in 2009. But after selling the store, he switched the site to Fulham, where the King of Pop watched one game as the chairman&#8217;s guest in 1999.

The National Football Museum approached Al Fayed about a loan after it was removed from Craven Cottage, and once contracts have been agreed, the 7ft 6in memorial is due to occupy a showcase position near the entrance to the museum in the distinctive Urbis Building.

Fayed had other options, including an unlikely sale to former Fulham manager Martin Jol. The Dutchman has an eclectic art collection and made it clear he was prepared to pay £20,000 to have Jackson in his garden. But preliminary talks stopped after Jol was sacked last December.

Fayed said: &#8216;The National Football Museum is a splendid institution. The statue means a great deal to me and my family. But on reflection, I decided it should go to a place where it can be enjoyed by the greatest amount of people for ever. I think Michael would have approved of the choice. Like football itself, he entertained the world.&#8217;

An NFM spokeswoman said: &#8216;The story behind the statue and its relationship with Fulham would certainly make for a thought-provoking addition. We are very grateful to Mr Al Fayed for offering to donate this important item.&#8217;

Source:
All Things Michael blog -
dailymail.co.uk

Few weeks ago there were articles that Fulham fans wanted the statue back where it was, as they thought moving MJ statue brought bad luck to Fulham :D

The stadium is just up my road sad to see it go

I thought it was a horrible statue, wouldn't want it in my garden:no:

doesn't look anything like Michael.

I don't doubt Mohamed Al Fayed love and appreciation towards Michael but with all the gazillions he has, he could have hired a better sculptor. I just wish that statue (even though I don't like it) doesn't cause fights or divisions anymore.

This statue is so unflattering I hope someone steals it and make it disappear for good. :wild:

That statue looks more like Jermaine, but at least he had good intentions...... lol

I heard that football fans in GB laughed at fulham because of the MJ statue..

-its the sad reality which hasn't been mentioned here

This made me smile!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27298374

Fulham were relegated because they removed a statue of Michael Jackson from Craven Cottage, according to former owner Mohamed Al Fayed.

Al Fayed installed the statue in 2011 but new owner Shahid Khan had it taken down in September.

Al Fayed had the Michael Jackson statue installed at Fulham in 2011

Fulham were relegated at the weekend and the statue has been donated to the National Football Museum in Manchester.

"When the new owner decided to move it I said 'Fine, it is a lucky thing, you will regret it later'," Al Fayed said.

"Now the new owner will regret it because I warned him. I said 'You will pay with blood for that' because it was something loved by people.

"It was a big mistake but he paid for it now. He's been relegated and if he wakes up he'll ask for Michael Jackson again and I'll say 'No way'."

After taking down the statue... this became the new reality for Fulham:

"Shahid Khan took over as chairman in July 2013,[SUP][46][/SUP] but after a poor start to the 2013&#8211;14 season, having only amassed 10 points from 13 games,[SUP][47][/SUP] Martin Jol was sacked as manager on 1 December 2013, with René Meulensteen taking charge as head coach.[SUP][47][/SUP][SUP][48][/SUP] Meulensteen was replaced by Felix Magath after just 17 games in charge following no upturn in form,[SUP][49][/SUP] but fortunes did not improve, and Fulham were eventually relegated to the Championship after a 4&#8211;1 defeat away to Stoke on 3 May.[SUP][50][/SUP] Post-season, the media criticised chairman Shahid Khan's decision to sack Meulensteen and appoint the third manager of the season in MagathFulham broke the Championship transfer record that summer in a restructuring of the squad by Magath, but after an alarming start to the new season, amassing just one point in seven games, Magath was sacked in September 2014, with Kit Symons appointed as caretaker manager.[SUP][51][/SUP] Fulham eventually finished the season in an uneventful 17th place.
The following season, the team suffered an inconsistent start to the season and after a 5&#8211;2 loss at home to Birmingham City,[SUP][52][/SUP] and lying in 12th place,[SUP][53][/SUP] Kit Symons was sacked as manager in November 2015.[SUP][54][/SUP] It paved the way for Serbian Slavi&#353;a Jokanovi&#263; to be appointed on 27 December 2015.[SUP][55][/SUP] Fulham's fortunes did not improve greatly following Jokanovi&#263;'s appointment, but the team finished the 2015&#8211;16 Championship season in 20th place, avoiding relegation by 11 points."

Michael Jackson statue: National Football Museum removes artwork

A statue of Michael Jackson has been removed from the National Football Museum in Manchester.

Its removal comes as sexual abuse allegations against the singer are detailed in a new documentary film.

The statue was commissioned by Fulham's then chairman Mohammed Al Fayed following Jackson's death in June 2009.

The National Football Museum (NFM) said the statue had been taken off display as part of "ongoing plans" to "better represent" football's stories.

Two men, James Safechuck and Wade Robson, allege in the Channel 4 documentary, Leaving Neverland, that they were sexually abused by the superstar.

There have been reports of radio stations dropping Jackson's music from their playlists, while some fans on social media have said they are boycotting the star.

An NFM spokesperson said: "Plans have been under way for a number of months to remove the Michael Jackson statue from display as part of our ongoing plans to better represent the stories we want to tell about football.

"As a result of this, the statue has now been removed."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-engla... Michael Jackson,Jackson's death in June 2009.

Re: Fulham Statue

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-47468074

Where is it now? Has it been returned again to Mohammed Al-Fayed?

Prior info about the statue is in the thread below. The statue was removed from the football museum after LN aired, but the museum did not state where the statue has been re-located. Most museums place items in storage if they are not on display. (Most museums and galleries have over 50% of their items in storage at any one time.) It's not very likely that Al Fayed had the statue returned to him, as he presumably gifted it to the museum in the first place. (It wasn't a good likeness of MJ in any case, so I don't think it's a great loss to MJ, to art or to football).

https://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/...l-Museum?highlight=michael%20jackson%20fulham

Last edited:
I never understood why it was there in the first place. MJ was not a football player nor owned a team. It was just there to draw attention using MJ. So it is no big deal. And u can bet it was only a hand full of people wo may have complain. This is nothing if they think this hurt MJ. NOT

Yeah very odd all around. Should have never been there to start with. even with fayed it was strange and just using mj for attention on all levels. so who cares.

The statue was originally supposed to be displayed at Harrod&#8217;s, like Diana & Dodi&#8217;s statue. But then Al Fayed decided to sell Harrod&#8217;s and had to find another place. Since MJ had visited the stadium, it was the next best place he could think of. :)

mysterygirl7;4300044 said:
After taking down the statue... this became the new reality for Fulham:

"Shahid Khan took over as chairman in July 2013,[SUP][46][/SUP] but after a poor start to the 2013&#8211;14 season, having only amassed 10 points from 13 games,[SUP][47][/SUP] Martin Jol was sacked as manager on 1 December 2013, with René Meulensteen taking charge as head coach.[SUP][47][/SUP][SUP][48][/SUP] Meulensteen was replaced by Felix Magath after just 17 games in charge following no upturn in form,[SUP][49][/SUP] but fortunes did not improve, and Fulham were eventually relegated to the Championship after a 4&#8211;1 defeat away to Stoke on 3 May.[SUP][50][/SUP] Post-season, the media criticised chairman Shahid Khan's decision to sack Meulensteen and appoint the third manager of the season in MagathFulham broke the Championship transfer record that summer in a restructuring of the squad by Magath, but after an alarming start to the new season, amassing just one point in seven games, Magath was sacked in September 2014, with Kit Symons appointed as caretaker manager.[SUP][51][/SUP] Fulham eventually finished the season in an uneventful 17th place.
The following season, the team suffered an inconsistent start to the season and after a 5&#8211;2 loss at home to Birmingham City,[SUP][52][/SUP] and lying in 12th place,[SUP][53][/SUP] Kit Symons was sacked as manager in November 2015.[SUP][54][/SUP] It paved the way for Serbian Slavi&#353;a Jokanovi&#263; to be appointed on 27 December 2015.[SUP][55][/SUP] Fulham's fortunes did not improve greatly following Jokanovi&#263;'s appointment, but the team finished the 2015&#8211;16 Championship season in 20th place, avoiding relegation by 11 points."

Well Fulham are back in the Premier League again.

And your post gives the impression that you are quite bitter that the statue got taken down. The reality is that MJ's statue should have never been there to begin with. Statues outside football stadium are normally for legendary players, managers or owners of a club. MJ had no connection with Fulham football team or any football team for that matter. The only reason he got the statue was because he was friends with then owner of Fulham Al Fayed, and that is a stupid reason.

terrell;4300252 said:
I never understood why it was there in the first place. MJ was not a football player nor owned a team. It was just there to draw attention using MJ. So it is no big deal. And u can bet it was only a hand full of people wo may have complain. This is nothing if they think this hurt MJ. NOT

Michael went to a match together with Mohammed al Fayed back in 1998 or 1999 I think. It was reported in the “Black & White” magazine. There were a lot of pictures too.

Around April 2000 i believe. A month or so before he was with liz for the albert hall tribute in london

Back