Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do OTHERS think of Michael?

Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default What do OTHERS think of Michael?

Now I know in my school, some people have different opinions on him, so may like his music and some may see him as old and even weird. What do your friends think of him, I want to know about the stories from the 90s and 80s etc or anything really of your experience at school and other peoples attitude to Michael.

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points

In the studio with Michael durring the Bad sessions
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: What do OTHERS think of Michael?

Well I'm homeschooled but I go to church and most people I meet give me a grimace when I tell them I love Michael, they call hi. Wierd, child molester, ect. I have to defend him all the time. When I tell adults they say "really?! Thats so cool" and sometimes I will get a story of when they were younger and had Thriller or something like that. If I get lucky they will mention how talented he is! But I mostly keep my love of him to myself because Its hard for me totake those nasty comments.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SkysTheLimit For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entryTagger Second ClassVeteranOverdrive

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,060 Posts

My friends and the people I know respect Michael and I never really associated with people who didn't in some way give him a chance.
    For me, this was the same at school and through college and uni through to work.
    I wore a homemade mj keychain\fob/key ring necklace around my neck throughout my teen and into early adulthood which most people found intriguingly creative.

At school and in further education I included a lot of Creative stuff to show my admiration for him and got A + in my art projects. I based mj around my exam projects in most subjects(when it was possible).

I took a very creative and proud yet respectful approach to my love for this man so mostly everyone knew.
    I didn't even have to open my mouth.
    Most just knew. ^^

In the very early 1990's at my school most of my year did like his music. They seemed Impressed with Dangerous videos yet more so with the BAD sound. Around 40 per cent of my year did not understand Dangerous.
    The P.E teacher borrowed my JAM single cassette for a Psychical education lesson saying *it was good music
    for her lesson today*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCuUd_Lu1ds

Some who were not friends of mine, called him names and in 89/90/ that was mostly about skin colour.
    In 1991/92 it was mostly about facial appearance and some of those were confused with his artful mind, his look, His structure and his mystery but I surrounded myself with the people who had time for him, who gave him a chance or could see beyond the fabrications and in London and the small city I lived in, there were enough of us.

From early 90s My gothic and my rock friends were highly impressed with the fact he worked with slash for *Give in To Me.*
    Most people liked and questioned the cool fact that he could incorporate every genre every sound, so there really was something for everyone regarding his music.
    My father called him a great showman.

When the media spewed out filthy lies in 1993 there was a lot of hate, rather more so predictable questions, which would be met with a sensible answer from my friends and me.My Gothic friends felt empathy for him in 1993 onwards.

At my College through to uni, you either liked Michael. Nirvana, Metallica or Naughty by Nature ...
    Or Kate moss.

In 97 most people I worked with (mainly nurses) either went or were going to the History tour.
    Some of the people I knew "grew out" of Michael but most of my close friends love him to this day just like me. ^^
    Last edited by wendijane; 23-04-2014 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Pic add

I am a child of the Moon , Being raised by the Sun, In an earth filled with Pain , With a sky full of Hope.

RIP Dearest M. Thank You For My Childhood Memories. ILY.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wendijane For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Wow! That sounds nice! I guess I live in an "anti-MJ" state. But my mom loves incorporating Michael into my school work like creative writing. And I enjoy writing haikus dedicated to him.
    when I was in public school I didn't know Michael but there was one guy who sang "I am Michael Jackson" all the time. not sure why but I guess he liked MJ.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SkysTheLimit For This Useful Post:

PurdyYungThang84

When I was in school, most kids seemed to think he was weird. I really didn't care what they thought, I had pictures of him all over my 3-ring binder lol.
    Last edited by PurdyYungThang84; 21-09-2016 at 04:37 PM.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PurdyYungThang84 For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteranTagger Second Class25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,975 Times in 2,276 Posts

Mostly everyone i know respects Michael, of course they understand my admiration for him! Which is rare, but I am thankful For that. Hope to soon build a shrine! Big plans, hehe

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zakk For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I'm old enough to remember him before people thought he was weird.

I frankly don't care what people think of him. I like him, and that's all that matters.

"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ShipOfFools For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I have that problem Spyce, my family doesn't respect Michael at all. My grandpa once called him a "schmuck" I was so mad!

Spyce

Ooops, accidentally deleted my own post, lol.

Spyce

Quote Originally Posted by SkysTheLimit View Post
    I have that problem Spyce, my family doesn't respect Michael at all. My grandpa once called him a "schmuck" I was so mad!
    Aww, I'm sorry

I dunno about anyone else- I try not to let it bother me, I really do. But at the same time, it's just difficult. That's all.
    Last edited by Spyce; 23-04-2014 at 10:49 PM.

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Every single person in my entire family has all hated my beloved Michael. 3 people in my family comes to my mind right now.

My marriage by only cousin who I thought was the only MJ fan in my family besides me. Turn out after the 93 allegations came out about him. She became one of the most biggest MJ haters you could ever want to meet. When this was the same exact person an year before show me her Dangerous Bucharest concert that she had taped. Because she knew how badly I had wanted to see that concert. Since I didn't have the HBO channel. After those allegations came out instead of her giving me her MJ items. She threw them all out. She hated the thought that I was still a fan of his even after those allegations. Well unlike her I had refused to believe those allegations about him. And I had always thought once an MJ fan always an MJ fan. I was so very wrong about that.

Another MJ hater in my family is my brother. I remember this one Easter over 10 years ago. I was sitting at my mother's dinning room table quietly eating my Easter dinner. When my brother called my Michael a child molesting freak. OMG was I ever so very angry when he called my Michael that. Me and my brother spent the next 5 minutes or so fighting. Our mother tried to get us to stop. But I turn to her and I very coldly told her to shut the hell up. You are no better than he is. The look she saw on my face made her back off. So she knew better to mess with me when it came to Michael Jackson. And me and my brother went back to our fighting. The fighting stopped with me storming off. I had to because I would have very likely would have done something to him. That I would have regret doing later on.

As for my mother she might come off saying that she likes him and stuff. But I really don't consider her a MJ fan. Not when she had said so many nasty things about him in the past. A true MJ fan does not do that. Like I remember just 2 days after it had happen with Michael. I had spent the entire Saturday in bed just trying so very hard to forget what had happen to him. It was around 7:30 that night my mother came in to my room wanting to know what I had wanted for supper. So she could go and order it. Well eating was the very last thing in the world I had wanted to do. But just to get rid of her I told her the first thing that came to my mind which was spinach pizza. So I thought that would get rid of her. So she could just leave me alone. But it didn't she suddenly wanted to talk about Michael and what had happen to him. When I had try so very hard to forget. Well what she did was she made fun of what had happen to him right in front of me. She said that she wasn't. But that wasn't the way I had taken it. And I finally very coldly order her out of my room. And not only did she do that later on that horrible summer. She totally defended that evil nameless monster that did what he did to him. It is those reasons why I don't consider my mother an MJ fan. I am still angry at her for liking the song Stranger In Moscow. When that song was something I had always consider sacred to me.

And as for friends that is something I never had where I live. It is because of the fact that I am a MJ fan in the first place. Is why I don't have any friends in the first place. It all has to do with the 93 allegations that came out about him. I remember back during my high school days during the HIStory Era. In my high school I was the only MJ fan in a school full of haters. I was teased and made fun of by the other kids. For liking someone like Michael Jackson. I try to not let it bother me. By them teasing and making fun of me for being an MJ fan. Well I let those MJ hating kids have their little fun with me for the next 2 years. It wasn't until my last 2 years in high did I finally fought back at them. That was when I finally became an attack dog. Defending it's owner's property. I remember back during my senior year I nearly put a girl in the hospital for making fun of my beloved Michael. I didn't mind the teasing and the name calling with the other kids for me being an MJ fan. But when you start making fun of my Michael. You seriously did not want to mess with me. Or you will suffer the consequences. And the funny thing when I was a senior in high school. I had never gotten in to any kind of trouble for doing that. For some reason at the time the seniors in my high school could not be touch. I am sure it has since change then. Since this going back 15 years or so ago.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MJsBollywoodGirl7 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

BollywoodGirl: Whats with calling him "MY" Michael? Thats the issue... everyone thought they owned him. He wasn't yours, he wasn't mine... Michael was Michaels. No disrespect intended.
    "When I go, this problem world won't bother me no more"

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mijacxscape For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spyce View Post
    Aww, I'm sorry

I dunno about anyone else- I try not to let it bother me, I really do. But at the same time, it's just difficult. That's all.
    Yeah its kind of hard, but I know he doesn't u derstand or even care to understand Michael, so its like you don't know him and you don't know what you are talking about. MJsBollywoodGirl I'm so sorry all of that happened, that must be so hard we are all here for you tho

22. The Following User Says Thank You to SkysTheLimit For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 853 Posts

Most of the time I don't really know because the conversation doesn't ever come up or I don't bring him up. But I can tell you how some people I know feel about him

My brother and his wife and my dad have made nasty comments about him, but I set them right and now they at least somewhat respect my love for Michael. I even got a MJ related birthday card from my brother and his wife last year. None of them are fans. The DJ played his music at my brother's wedding last year though. Ha.

My mom is a fan, but not in a huge way like me. She always believed he was innocent

My grandmother, I'm not sure. She seems to be the type to fall for some BS. She believes in some ridiculous things in general So...not a fan, but she never made any nasty comments either.

I met up with a 3rd cousin last month and he asked what music I liked so I said MJ, and he said he loved MJ and he plays his music for his adopted children, which is awesome

My friend, I have recently tried to convert him into an MJ fan. It sort of worked. I had him listen to Much Too Soon and he loved that. I recommended that song because he asked if Michael ever sang any country or folk music. He made a cool drawing for me too with MJ and me in it, but it's kind of personal, so I don't feel like sharing it lol. All that being said, I don't think he really gets Michael as a person, so I guess he would just be a fan of the music only. Can't have everything I guess.

So, that's been my experience with various people. Pretty mixed I'd say.
    "Girls want to see some cake."

My Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/edog85

24. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainEoLove85 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Level
    Thanks

Most of the people I know have a sorta standard response when I asked them about Michael. It tends to go:

"Well, I have respect for his music and dancing but..." Which kinda speaks volumes how people often view him. People are still too willing to believe the weird things that were written about him. And while I think everyone can agree that Michael was "eccentric" (how can you not be when you lead a life like that?), many people still have that in focus instead of the music and the humanitarian efforts.

Plus, I think many people would be afraid to admit they like him or listen to him because to many people, he was forever branded the child-molester. It's stupid and incredibly frustrating.

Hello to everyone by the way, first post here.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Starwars For This Useful Post: