Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New musical on Robert Burns written by King of Pop Michael Jackson is set to be launched

elusive moonwalker

Default Re: New musical on Robert Burns written by King of Pop Michael Jackson is set to be launched

Probably just using mjs name to attention/publicity when in reality he had little if no involvement.its not like guest isnt known for it!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to elusive moonwalker For This Useful Post:

ChrisC

Default Re: New musical on Robert Burns written by King of Pop Michael Jackson is set to be launched

Far too vague for me to take any interest.

What exactly was Michael's involvement??

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,280 Times in 1,539 Posts

I would love some concrete evidence that Michael had any involvement with this whatsoever. Otherwise, I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 683
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,844 Times in 3,035 Posts

Well, according to Playbill tonight, David Gest has already pulled out of the production-he's too busy with a "film" commitment.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article...jackson-338746

This still says Michael's involvement was an idea-that he co-created with David Gest-so that looks like that was it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to barbee0715 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,107 Times in 9,070 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    I would love some concrete evidence that Michael had any involvement with this whatsoever. Otherwise, I'm taking this with a grain of salt.
    Exactly. Sometimes I think these people just attach MJ's name to things because that way it's easier to generate interest. Who knows if MJ really had anything to do with it? I'd want evidence before I consider anything MJ's work.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HIStory For This Useful Post:

elusive moonwalker

Thats exactly what they do

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 571 Posts

The title of this thread and the article from which it came is very misleading. Michael never wrote any of the songs. I got excited there for a few minutes until I read more about it.
    You are FOREVER MICHAEL - WE ARE FOREVER

Xscape 2014

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tricia70 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Album picturesVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 987 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by respect77 View Post
    Exactly. Sometimes I think these people just attach MJ's name to things because that way it's easier to generate interest. Who knows if MJ really had anything to do with it? I'd want evidence before I consider anything MJ's work.

I agree with you post my feeling too.

Another Part Of Me Michael You Will Always Be In My Heart.

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 550
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,033 Times in 1,431 Posts

They are still trying to publicise this via an MJ connection.
    Feels (news-wise) a bit like 'flogging a dead horse' to me...
    The supposed connection with 'Thriller' sounds like a 'Shaggy Meg' story.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Burns Night 2016: Did this Robert Burns poem inspire Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' music video?

Jackson was a long-term fan of the Scottish poet and may have based 'Thriller' on his poem 'Tam o' Shanter'

Michael Jackson and David Gest’s Robert Burns: The Musical has been given a modern revamp and is premiering in Aberdeen on Burns Night after almost twelve years on the shelf.

Random this might sound, but the late pop icon was a huge fan of the Scottish poet and shared this admiration with his producer friend Gest. In 1993, Jackson gifted Gest with the opportunity to put Burns’ poems to contemporary music in his home studio and write a musical together.

Gest tried to stage the musical, originally titled Red Red Rose after Burns’ 1794 song, in 1996, but reviews from UK publications were damning. He brought it out again in 2008 along with the Jackson-Burns tapes but purists were outraged and critics sceptical. Jackson died in 2009 and Gest sidelined the project.

Gest has always insisted that the idea is not bizarre at all and claims that Jackson based his iconic 1983 music video for “Thriller” on Burns’ gothic epic “Tam o’ Shanter”.

First published in 1791, “Tam o’ Shanter” tells the story of a drunk farmer who spends most of his time with his friends in a Scottish pub, much to the rage of his wife Kate.

One stormy night, Tam is riding his horse Meg home when he stumbles across witches dancing and the devil playing the bagpipes at his lit-up local haunted church. He stops to watch quietly but, when he loses himself and shouts “Weel done, cutty-sark!” at a witch in a short dress, the music stops, the lights go out and the ghouls start chasing him. Tam escapes, but the witches succeed in pulling Meg’s tail off just as they cross the River Doon.

Jackson’s “Thriller” video sees the singer take his girlfriend on a date to the cinema to watch a werecat film. She is scared and leaves. Jackson follows her and teases her about being afraid as they stroll down a foggy road towards a graveyard.

Soon, they are surrounded by dancing zombies and Jackson becomes possessed. His girlfriend wakes up and realises it was all a nightmare. Jackson offers to walk her home and the video’s memorable closing shot sees him turn towards the camera as his eyes flash yellow.

“Thriller” is regularly voted as the most influential pop music video in history and is a favourite at Halloween.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a6832321.html
    'We may not change the world in one day but we still can change some things today, in our small way.'[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Did Michael state anywhere that he liked Robert Burns poems? I can't remember.
    Music, in the precision of its form and the mathematical tyranny of its laws, escapes into an eternity of abstraction and an absurd sublime that is everywhere and nowhere at once.
    - Stephen Fry

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 550
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,033 Times in 1,431 Posts

There will be extracts from this musical performed at an event for David Gest in London on 14th June, but the ticket prices seem quite high...

4th June
    The strange tale of Rabbie Burns, Michael Jackson, and David Gest's dying wish

RABBIE Burns was certainly known for his wild and adventurous life: drinking, womanising, writing revolutionary verse. Now, though, the Bard will find himself caught up in one of his oddest adventures ever, when his works - as reinterpreted by Michael Jackson - will be the centrepiece at a celebration of the life and legacy of David Gest.

The life of Gest - one of Hollywood's most eccentric stars and former husband of Liza Minnelli - will be honoured at a celebrity-studded event in the very hotel in which he died last April. Soul and R&B star Dionne Warwick will be among the acts leading the tributes to Gest, who was a well-connected player in Hollywood.

Gest was also close friends with Michael Jackson. One of the most curious episodes of their friendship saw the pair - both huge fans of Burns - turn the poet's work into a musical. The songs will be performed in London by a group of music school students from Lossiemouth. The musical has previously toured around the UK, and there is talk of taking it to international venues.

The night - labelled “David’s Last Wish” - will be at the Canary Wharf Hotel where the star was found dead last year. Among the ten Burns' poems which Gest and Jackson worked on is 'A Red, Red Rose'. All will be performed on the night.

The roots of this strange story go back to the 1990s when David Gest and his childhood friend the 'King of Pop' began to explore what Gest described before his death as the “moving poetry and fascinating life” of the Scottish Bard. The pair loved Burns' work and for years would scour bookshops around America for rare collections of his work.

In 1992, as a 40th birthday present to Gest, Jackson gifted Gest free use of his family studio to record what would later become the musical 'Red, Red Rose'. Prior to their deaths of Gest and Jackson, the musical was set to have a truly unbelievable list of names attached: Gene Kelly, by that time into his 80s, was signed on as director; Anthony Perkins, star of Hitchcock movie Psycho, as producer; and John Barrowman to play the leading man, Robert Burns.

But the project floundered after the both Kelly and Perkins died. Red, Red Rose managed only one performance in 1996 - in Denmark. It wasn’t until years later - after his move to the UK - that the Robert Burns Birthplace Museum in Ayr encouraged Gest to dig out the old recordings.

However, Gest, despite trying to take a nap in the Bard’s family bed during a tour of the museum in 2012, never supplied the recordings. Rumour has it the Jackson estate didn’t want to release them.

David Hopes, director of the museum at that time, isn’t surprised that Burns’ words had such an impact on Gest and Jackson: “I would say that Burns’ work has been influential to a lot of musicians. Bob Dylan, for example - it’s been rumoured his favourite song is Red, Red Rose. He’s known to be a lover of Burns' music, so I wouldn’t say it’s too much of a leap to say that someone who was a talented musician and songwriter would look to Burns for inspiration.”

In 2014, Gest began to re-work the music from Red, Red Rose into something that could be performed on stage with the help of Tish Tindall, of the Lossie Entertainment Academy - thus the Lossiemouth connection to this increasingly bizarre story - and together they created Robert Burns the Musical. Gest was set to play Tam O’Shanter in a 2015 Burns Night performance in Aberdeen, but had to pull out for health reasons.

Since then the show has toured the UK and a truncated version, featuring a never-before heard song, is to be performed as the event in London next week.

Tindall said: “Not only are we performing alongside legends like Dionne Warwick, but we’re actually performing one of the tracks that David wrote for the original musical that has never been performed in Britain before. That’s an incredible honour for us.

“When David passed away we truly felt that it was our duty to continue this work because the platform that David gave us was second to none. He came up to Lossiemouth, he believed in us, he believed in the project and in Scotland and I really feel like it should be my life’s work to ensure that continues.”

A representative of the Gest estate said: “For us, this was a way of honouring his request to have a large party in his honour but more importantly to continue his name, history and legacy of helping music and children.

“Tish, her academy and Scotland were clearly important to David. We are honoured that these students are coming to perform and we consider it a gift to David and his Foundation. We hope it’s a big success.”

Tish Tindall and seven of her students will be travelling down to perform at the event on the 14th of June, and she hopes it could be a big break for the performers.

“David was so emphatic that the show should be performed by students from our academy” she says. “He believed very much in giving undiscovered talent that platform. This is our tribute to David.”

David’s Last Wish takes place at the Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, London, on June the 14th. Tickets start at £175.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1..._s_dying_wish/
    'We may not change the world in one day but we still can change some things today, in our small way.'[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,280 Times in 1,539 Posts

Is there any evidence of this being a legitimate thing?

Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,764 Times in 2,232 Posts

I think this is cool.. I would really like to hear any recordings about the production by MJ on this.
    Walk in truth, stand IN JUSTICE https://twitter.com/rasheedKOPV?s=09

Overall activity: 87.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,249 Times in 1,326 Posts

Why are we bumping up old news for????