New musical on Robert Burns written by King of Pop Michael Jackson is set to be launched

Zakk

Proud Member
''THE musical, which showcases the poetry and life of the Bard, is set to be revived by music producer David Gest after he found songs written by the late Michael Jackson.

THE late Michael Jackson has inspired a new musical based on the works of Robert Burns.

The King of Pop planned to illustrate the poetry and life of the Scottish Bard in a stage show during the 90s with long-time friend and music producer David Gest.

However, Gest will revive the show after he found the songs written by the Thriller icon - with Scottish actor John Barrowman expected to play the lead role.

Gest said: “I found the recordings from that time about four months ago. It’s going to be a different play but it is still going to
be the story of Burns.

“Work is under way on a revised script and soundtrack.”

Casting for One Fond Kiss will begin at the end of the month and the show is expected to open in Lossiemouth next year.

Gest is to star as Tam O’Shanter in the new production, which is a collaboration between the musical producer and Rock Academy College.

The idea for the original show 20 years ago came about when Jackson offered Gest use of the family recording studio in California.

They put together the soundtrack for the original musical, Red Red Rose, based on Burns’s life. It featured songs adapted from 12 poems of the Bard.

Gest said: “We found his poetry so moving and his life so fascinating.”

But the project never got off the ground after the show’s producer, Psycho star Anthony Perkins, died later that year.''

Source: http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord....t-burns-written-3703715#.U58fmPCivA4.facebook

I hope we get to hear MJ singing these songs, if that is what these recordings are......

I am pretty sure news about the recordings broke just after MIchael passed, then it went quiet, good to see something is being done with them :)

I hope we get to hear MJ singing these songs, if that is what these recordings are......

i'm fairly sure they are orchestrated instrumental tracks, would be nice to hear Michael's own version of one of Robert Burns' poems though

ay104243741london-england.jpg

LEGENDARY PRODUCER & TELEVISION STAR DAVID GEST FINDS LOST ROBERT BURNS TAPES

AND TEAMS UP WITH DIANE ASPINAL AND TISH TINDALL OF ROCK ACADEMY PERFORMING ARTS IN LOSSIEMOUTH

TO PRODUCE NEW BURNS PLAY “ONE FOND KISS” FOR SCOTTISH AUDIENCES IN 2015

After years of rumour about their actual existence, Hollywood producer David Gest has rediscovered the original recordings of 12 songs adapted from the poems of Robert Burns which were produced by Gest at Michael Jackson’s home studio in Encino, California in 1993.

Gest and Jackson were such Burns fanatics, that Jackson gifted Gest on his birthday in 1993 with his studio and the musicians to make his dream project become a reality.

Many of the original orchestrations for the Burns poems were composed by Paul Allan Johnson and created to be part of a live stage musical written by George Rosie entitled “Red Red Rose” .The musical, starring John Barrowman, was performed for backers in Hollywood and once in Holland in 1996. It was intended for the original 1993 stage musical to continue under the direction of Hollywood legends Gene Kelly (‘Singin’ In The Rain’) and co-producer Anthony Perkins (‘Psycho’) but unfortunately before the project was fully finished, both gentleman died and Gest put the musical on hold ever since.

David Gest has decided to create a new show around the poetry of Burns and is teaming up with Diane Aspinall and Tish Tindall of Rock Academy Performing Arts in Lossiemouth to produce the new show entitled ”One Fond Kiss”, finally bringing many of Burns’ songs home to Scotland. Many of the songs have been given new arrangements and melodies. Gest stated “I want to stage this for Scotland, in Scotland with Scottish talent. Robert Burns was a genius, an ordinary man, but a genius – the people’s poet. This has been a lifelong dream to see a play about Burns’ life finally come to fruition. Diane and Tish heard the recordings through my representatives and phoned me to say we are ready to start the new play… right now! How could I refuse two such talented Scottish ladies!!!”

The new show “One Fond Kiss” tells the story of the passions of the People’s Poet; the loves of his life and the life of those loves. Tish Tindall who plays the show’s Narrator stated “This is such an extraordinary production – simple yet so very effective. The show is being planned for the early part of next year and we will be holding auditions very soon, to find dancers and singers who we will train to perform alongside myself and David Gest. I am ecstatic that Gest has agreed to join the cast to recite the ”Address To A Haggis” and play the part of “Tam ‘O’ Shanter”. David is loved by the Scottish people ever since his appearance on ‘I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here!’ where he became a household name in the UK. He was also the first person to be on that show to then get three prime-time series. This play will show another facet of his many talents.”

http://www.davidgestonline.com/legendary-producer-television/

I know we had this information before, but who owns those songs? Is it Gertz, Micheal are both of them.?

^^ That's a good question, who has the rights to those recordings?

I don't understand the part this part "... is set to be revived by music producer David Gest after he found songs written by the late Michael Jackson."

I would like to know where he found them. Will see how the estate reacts to this.

I just saw Barrowman at the Phoenix Comicon and he mentioned his background in musical theatre. Didn't realize it included this one.

^^ That's a good question, who has the rights to those recordings?

I don't understand the part this part "... is set to be revived by music producer David Gest after he found songs written by the late Michael Jackson."

I would like to know where he found them. Will see how the estate reacts to this.

I am just wondering too. Maybe the Estate doesn't have all of the music that Michael work with ppls on.

Did Michael keep music at his home?

i'm fairly sure they are orchestrated instrumental tracks, would be nice to hear Michael's own version of one of Robert Burns' poems though

Yes it would also be beautiful to hear Michael's voice with the orchestra love that too.

This seems to be premiering on 25th January 15 in Aberdeen

http://www.rbwf.org.uk/events/robert-burns-the-musical-premiere/

Robert Burns The Musical is a new musical by Tish Tindall based upon an idea by David Gest & Michael Jackson and the life and works of Robert Burns. The World Premiere of Robert Burns The Musical (starring David Gest, Tish Tindall and an undiscovered Scottish cast) will take place in Aberdeen at the Tivoli Theatre on 25th January 2015.

This project started in Hollywood – you may have seen some mention of it in the national press:

“After years of rumour about their actual existence Hollywood producer David Gest has rediscovered the original recordings of 12 songs adapted from the poems of Robert Burns which were produced by himself and Michael Jackson over 20 years ago. The recordings composed by Paul Allan Johnson were created to be part of a live stage musical written by George Rosie entitled “Red Red Rose” which starring John Barrowman was performed once in Holland in 1996. It was intended for the stage musical to continue under the direction of Hollywood legends Gene Kelly and Anthony Perkins but unfortunately before the project got underway, both gentleman died and the musical has been on hold ever since.”

David wanted somebody to breathe new life into the project so Tish Tindall or The Rock Academy of Performing Arts(RAPA) gave it a new life all together…wrote a brand new show and auditioned people from all over Scotland to be part of this ‘once in a lifetime’ opportunity.

Tish and Diane knew that this story, the story of a real person – the story of a man who’s weakness is as much of a USP as his genius – had to be told by real people. It had to be told by undiscovered, hard working people with a pride of worth.

This new show; Robert Burns The Musical, has been described by those involved as sitting somewhere between Blood Brothers & Les Miserables. I just think it works! It is a combination of the words of a National Hero and the words, arrangements and melodies of a Lassie who was born in Glasgow, brought up in Aberdeenshire and now lives and works on the Moray Coast running Rock Academy Performing Arts (RAPA) with Diane Aspinall.

RAPA is the North of Scotland’s Leading Performing Arts College with part-time, full-time, HNC, HND, bespoke, evening and weekend courses. Rock Academy Performing Arts in Lossiemouth is the only Private College north of the Central Belt of Scotland to be offering SQA approved HNC & HND full time courses in Musical Theatre and Professional Dance Performance. Students study the technique and performance of Acting, Choreography, Dance and Singing whilst gaining an essential knowledge and understanding of the social and historical context of each art form. This kind of training combined with endless local and national performance opportunities and the international connections RAPA has worked hard to secure has been developed by RAPA specifically for Moray so that our ‘talented hopefuls’ do not have to upstick to the ‘Big Smoke’ to gain a foothold onto the ladder of success.

Testimonials: In a statement from BBCs ‘The Voice UK’, a spokesperson for the show’s production team commented: “The Rock Academy introduced us to some brilliant singers last week ahead of our open auditions in summer. Tish Tindall and her team are providing singers of Moray with an excellent opportunity”. Peter McKay, PR Consultant and Owner McKay Media, Inverness stated: “Having worked closely with Tish and Diane for almost 3 years, I have seen the rapid progress made at RAPA. Due to their tireless work guiding and inspiring students of all ages, RAPA now has a solid and well-deserved reputation throughout the UK as a Centre of excellence in the performing arts. Tish especially has concentrated on building contacts and relationships in Scotland, London and beyond which are now starting to pay real dividends for those she cares so passionately about – her students.” Richard Smith, London based Event Producer & Agent commented: “The work of Tish, Diane and Rock Academy is grabbing the attention of TV & Radio producers all over. Incredible as they are based so far north. I want them to move down here but at the moment they are far too stubborn and passionate about creating opportunities for Moray. My advice to you all is use them or lose them because we want RAPA down here!”

The crowning moment in the show’s development to date, came with a statement made by Alison C Tait, CEO of the Robert Burns World Federation after she took the time to venture up to Lossie’ to watch rehearsals:

The Robert Burns World Federation is delighted to support the Rock Academy’s production of Robert Burns the Musical and we look forward to working closely with Tish Tindall, Diane Aspinall and her team to progress this amazing piece of contemporary work based on the life of Robert Burns. Every year something new comes forward about Robert Burns – sometimes a letter, sometimes a manuscript, sometimes music, but the Rock Academy production is the most innovative, exciting and dynamic news we have had for many years and moves it emphatically from a “should see” to a “must see” category unlocking Robert Burns from the 18th century to the 21st. Alison C Tait CEO RBWF

This show is a “MUST SEE” for so many reasons. The most dedicated undiscovered cast, David Gest* in a cameo role in as Tam ‘o’ Shanter, and Robert Burns – living now! Robert Burns The Musical will touch the heart of the nation. It is made in Scotland and I believe will very soon, become one of Scotland’s greatest exports.

https://www.facebook.com/robertburnsthemusical

Tickets can be booked via The Rock Academy of Performing Arts
Tel: 01343 813111
Doors open: 7:15pm

But I have also seen this:
*Due to clashing commitments, Gest will not be in the show as originally planned, but may join at a later date in a cameo role.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
HIGH-profile celebrity has pulled out of the world premiere of a new musical dedicated to the life of Robert Burns which is to debut in Aberdeen later this month.

“Robert Burns The Musical”, which puts a modern spin on the Bard’s life, is due to have its premiere at the Tivoli Theatre, Aberdeen, on Burn’s Night (January 25).

Producer David Gest, who was once married to Liza Minnelli, was due to appear in the show, in a small cameo role as Tam O’ Shanter.

The initial idea came about when music superstar Michael Jackson offered Gest, 61, use of the family recording studio in California in the 1990s.

They put together the soundtrack for the original musical, Red Red Rose, based on Burns’s life. It featured songs adapted from 12 poems of the Bard.

Twenty years later, Gest revisited the idea, and the show was to be called One Fond Kiss, but was renamed Robert Burns The Musical in pre-production stages.

The musical rooted in the north-east is being performed by Lossiemouth-based Rock Academy.

However, due to clashing commitments, the former I’m A Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here contestant says he will now be unable to perform in the show.

The Inverurie-born writer of the musical Tish Tindall, who also stars in it, insisted Gest’s withdrawal would not affect the show.

Ms Tindall, who will act as narrator during the performance, said: “When he [David Gest] asked me if he could be in the show, we decided a cameo role would be the best because of his busy schedule.

“He is planning on joining us at a later date, but we have not announced any further performances as yet.

“People all over the world have asked me about the show, it will bring Robert Burns into the 21st century.

“For a wee lassie from Inverurie to be involved in taking forward something which started off as their idea is just unimaginable.

“I really did fight to keep the premiere in the northeast.”

A spokesman for Mr Gest said: “David has made every effort to move his filming commitment but unfortunately the TV company have a very strict schedule to adhere to which they are unable to change.

“David would like to wish the rest of the cast every success with the production and is looking forward to appearing with you at a later stage in the production.”

http://www.scotsman.com/what-s-on/t...lls-out-of-robert-burns-the-musical-1-3651114

Last edited:
So eventually it has nothing to do with Michael's songs, right?

Otherwise they would have to contact the Estate and promote the show like crazy

But I see nothing like that

It's always nice to hear something new from Michael, but to be honest I don't like David Gest...

I'm confused. The first article says the songs were written by MJ, but the rest of the articles say it was written by someone else and MJ just offered his studio to record them.

Sounds like MJ doesn't really have much to do with this?

Probably just using mjs name to attention/publicity when in reality he had little if no involvement.its not like guest isnt known for it!

Far too vague for me to take any interest.

What exactly was Michael's involvement??

I would love some concrete evidence that Michael had any involvement with this whatsoever. Otherwise, I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

I would love some concrete evidence that Michael had any involvement with this whatsoever. Otherwise, I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

Exactly. Sometimes I think these people just attach MJ's name to things because that way it's easier to generate interest. Who knows if MJ really had anything to do with it? I'd want evidence before I consider anything MJ's work.

The title of this thread and the article from which it came is very misleading. Michael never wrote any of the songs. I got excited there for a few minutes until I read more about it.

Exactly. Sometimes I think these people just attach MJ's name to things because that way it's easier to generate interest. Who knows if MJ really had anything to do with it? I'd want evidence before I consider anything MJ's work.

I agree with you post my feeling too.

They are still trying to publicise this via an MJ connection.
Feels (news-wise) a bit like 'flogging a dead horse' to me...
The supposed connection with 'Thriller' sounds like a 'Shaggy Meg' story. :D
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Burns Night 2016: Did this Robert Burns poem inspire Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' music video?

Jackson was a long-term fan of the Scottish poet and may have based 'Thriller' on his poem 'Tam o' Shanter'

Michael Jackson and David Gest’s Robert Burns: The Musical has been given a modern revamp and is premiering in Aberdeen on Burns Night after almost twelve years on the shelf.

Random this might sound, but the late pop icon was a huge fan of the Scottish poet and shared this admiration with his producer friend Gest. In 1993, Jackson gifted Gest with the opportunity to put Burns’ poems to contemporary music in his home studio and write a musical together.

Gest tried to stage the musical, originally titled Red Red Rose after Burns’ 1794 song, in 1996, but reviews from UK publications were damning. He brought it out again in 2008 along with the Jackson-Burns tapes but purists were outraged and critics sceptical. Jackson died in 2009 and Gest sidelined the project.

Gest has always insisted that the idea is not bizarre at all and claims that Jackson based his iconic 1983 music video for “Thriller” on Burns’ gothic epic “Tam o’ Shanter”.

First published in 1791, “Tam o’ Shanter” tells the story of a drunk farmer who spends most of his time with his friends in a Scottish pub, much to the rage of his wife Kate.

One stormy night, Tam is riding his horse Meg home when he stumbles across witches dancing and the devil playing the bagpipes at his lit-up local haunted church. He stops to watch quietly but, when he loses himself and shouts “Weel done, cutty-sark!” at a witch in a short dress, the music stops, the lights go out and the ghouls start chasing him. Tam escapes, but the witches succeed in pulling Meg’s tail off just as they cross the River Doon.

Jackson’s “Thriller” video sees the singer take his girlfriend on a date to the cinema to watch a werecat film. She is scared and leaves. Jackson follows her and teases her about being afraid as they stroll down a foggy road towards a graveyard.

Soon, they are surrounded by dancing zombies and Jackson becomes possessed. His girlfriend wakes up and realises it was all a nightmare. Jackson offers to walk her home and the video’s memorable closing shot sees him turn towards the camera as his eyes flash yellow.

“Thriller” is regularly voted as the most influential pop music video in history and is a favourite at Halloween.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ons-iconic-thriller-music-video-a6832321.html

Did Michael state anywhere that he liked Robert Burns poems? I can't remember.

There will be extracts from this musical performed at an event for David Gest in London on 14th June, but the ticket prices seem quite high...

4th June
The strange tale of Rabbie Burns, Michael Jackson, and David Gest's dying wish

RABBIE Burns was certainly known for his wild and adventurous life: drinking, womanising, writing revolutionary verse. Now, though, the Bard will find himself caught up in one of his oddest adventures ever, when his works - as reinterpreted by Michael Jackson - will be the centrepiece at a celebration of the life and legacy of David Gest.

The life of Gest - one of Hollywood's most eccentric stars and former husband of Liza Minnelli - will be honoured at a celebrity-studded event in the very hotel in which he died last April. Soul and R&B star Dionne Warwick will be among the acts leading the tributes to Gest, who was a well-connected player in Hollywood.

Gest was also close friends with Michael Jackson. One of the most curious episodes of their friendship saw the pair - both huge fans of Burns - turn the poet's work into a musical. The songs will be performed in London by a group of music school students from Lossiemouth. The musical has previously toured around the UK, and there is talk of taking it to international venues.

The night - labelled “David’s Last Wish” - will be at the Canary Wharf Hotel where the star was found dead last year. Among the ten Burns' poems which Gest and Jackson worked on is 'A Red, Red Rose'. All will be performed on the night.

The roots of this strange story go back to the 1990s when David Gest and his childhood friend the 'King of Pop' began to explore what Gest described before his death as the “moving poetry and fascinating life” of the Scottish Bard. The pair loved Burns' work and for years would scour bookshops around America for rare collections of his work.

In 1992, as a 40th birthday present to Gest, Jackson gifted Gest free use of his family studio to record what would later become the musical 'Red, Red Rose'. Prior to their deaths of Gest and Jackson, the musical was set to have a truly unbelievable list of names attached: Gene Kelly, by that time into his 80s, was signed on as director; Anthony Perkins, star of Hitchcock movie Psycho, as producer; and John Barrowman to play the leading man, Robert Burns.

But the project floundered after the both Kelly and Perkins died. Red, Red Rose managed only one performance in 1996 - in Denmark. It wasn’t until years later - after his move to the UK - that the Robert Burns Birthplace Museum in Ayr encouraged Gest to dig out the old recordings.

However, Gest, despite trying to take a nap in the Bard’s family bed during a tour of the museum in 2012, never supplied the recordings. Rumour has it the Jackson estate didn’t want to release them.

David Hopes, director of the museum at that time, isn’t surprised that Burns’ words had such an impact on Gest and Jackson: “I would say that Burns’ work has been influential to a lot of musicians. Bob Dylan, for example - it’s been rumoured his favourite song is Red, Red Rose. He’s known to be a lover of Burns' music, so I wouldn’t say it’s too much of a leap to say that someone who was a talented musician and songwriter would look to Burns for inspiration.”

In 2014, Gest began to re-work the music from Red, Red Rose into something that could be performed on stage with the help of Tish Tindall, of the Lossie Entertainment Academy - thus the Lossiemouth connection to this increasingly bizarre story - and together they created Robert Burns the Musical. Gest was set to play Tam O’Shanter in a 2015 Burns Night performance in Aberdeen, but had to pull out for health reasons.

Since then the show has toured the UK and a truncated version, featuring a never-before heard song, is to be performed as the event in London next week.

Tindall said: “Not only are we performing alongside legends like Dionne Warwick, but we’re actually performing one of the tracks that David wrote for the original musical that has never been performed in Britain before. That’s an incredible honour for us.

“When David passed away we truly felt that it was our duty to continue this work because the platform that David gave us was second to none. He came up to Lossiemouth, he believed in us, he believed in the project and in Scotland and I really feel like it should be my life’s work to ensure that continues.”

A representative of the Gest estate said: “For us, this was a way of honouring his request to have a large party in his honour but more importantly to continue his name, history and legacy of helping music and children.

“Tish, her academy and Scotland were clearly important to David. We are honoured that these students are coming to perform and we consider it a gift to David and his Foundation. We hope it’s a big success.”

Tish Tindall and seven of her students will be travelling down to perform at the event on the 14th of June, and she hopes it could be a big break for the performers.

“David was so emphatic that the show should be performed by students from our academy” she says. “He believed very much in giving undiscovered talent that platform. This is our tribute to David.”

David’s Last Wish takes place at the Canary Riverside Plaza Hotel, London, on June the 14th. Tickets start at £175.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...ael_Jackson__and_David_Gest__39_s_dying_wish/

I think this is cool.. I would really like to hear any recordings about the production by MJ on this.

Is there any evidence of this being a legitimate thing?
The lack of confirmation since five years seem to kinda confirm DG used Michaels name just for promotional reasons.

Last edited:
Back