A Place With No Name (Second Single from Xscape) Discussion

HIStory

Proud Member
L.A. and Erica Reid Talk Michael Jackson and Family Life with Matt Lauer

content_L.A.-and-Erica-Reid.jpg

Matt Lauer: L.A., let’s talk about Xscape and how that album came to be. What was the idea behind it?
L.A. Reid: It was my being at Epic Records and trying to find something magnificent to work on. Epic is a label we literally started almost from scratch, so we were trying to find something big. I spoke to John Branca, who runs the Michael Jackson estate, and asked him to let me into the archives to see what we could find. We found about 20 songs and picked 10 of them to work on, and it’s worked out really well. Then I brought in Justin Timberlake to feature on the first single, “Love Never Felt So Good.” Justin was my ambassador, which has led to worldwide sales of more than 2.5 million copies.

ML: Were you surprised by what was in that archive or were you expecting a gold mine?
LAR: I didn’t really know what to expect—I went into it open-minded. But I was surprised by how much was there because I knew Michael, and he didn’t record a lot of music that he didn’t release. Some artists record endlessly; Michael recorded purposefully to release music, so I was surprised to find as much. And recently I found more, like some Michael Jackson-Queen music that’s pretty unbelievable.
ML: Erica, are you the type who likes it if L.A. brings some of his work home? Does he bring a CD home and say, “You gotta hear this?”
Erica Reid: I get to hear it first. I love to listen to what he is working on and be a part of it that way. It’s fascinating and, more than anything, it’s fun. It’s great music for the home.
ML: L.A., I’ve watched some of these meetings where guys like you get around the table and play music and everybody decides if there is the potential for a hit. Does Erica have the “hit ear”?
[Erica laughs]
LAR: No, but she has a good “hit eye.” When I was going through cover comps for Xscape, I would bring the artwork home. I had no idea the one that ended up being the cover was as good as it was, but when I showed it to Erica, she said, “This is the one!”—and it ended up being the one. So she actually did participate in arguably the most important part of the project because it was the visual that got everyone’s attention. She was very helpful.
ML: “Love Never Felt So Good” is a hit around the world. Could it have been a hit before, years ago? LAR: Oh yes, it would have been a much bigger hit. I don’t know that it would have measured up to Michael Jackson’s Thriller, but it was an outtake from Off The Wall so it could well have worked on that album.
ML: What is the follow-up single?
LAR: A song called “A Place With No Name” that was originally recorded by the group America and that Michael redid. We’re hoping to release it on August 11.

http://hamptons-magazine.com/person...oday-show-host-matt-lauer#uBSL5bjEMDR8IulO.99

Re: L.A. Reid confirms A Place With No Name is the next single (released on August 11)

Last edited:
Re: L.A. Reid confirms A Place With No Name is the next single (released on August 11)

Good to hear. I hope it helps to boost the sales.

Last edited:

Yipeee :)

Yay! :dancing:

Promote it and put out a good short film not the standard "yay MJ old clips dance!!" thing they've been doing and I'll be a happy camper.

I had doubts but I believed in their promise to let us chose!

I’m actually very happy that so much attention is given to the first single.

I hope that APWNN will have as many remixes\versions as LNFSG!!!

I would love to hear more of Stargate experiments with the song.

Yeeeeeeeeeessss!

Its my favorite song on the album, I listen to it pretty much everyday!

FANTASTIC news!!!! We should already start requesting on radio!!!!

Another great news, Im sure this one will do great :) It has 3,3 mil plays on spotify without being even promoted.

tumblr_n13wb9IfQ81tpvoluo1_400.gif

3199288209_1_2_0MpFe0t0.jpg
(fanmade)

Disappointed but happy for the project.

Don't be disappointed. This song has HUGE potential if promoted correctly

I want to see Xscape continue to succeed so I support APWNN as the second single.

I am hoping for respectful promotion which means no VV performances.

I also hope the official video is entertaining.

Here's hoping that it is promoted well and catches on.

I don't know if it can match Love Never Felt So Good, commercially speaking. That song had a release alongside the album and also had Justin Timberlake involved. Of course, I hope I'm wrong!

Musically speaking I think it's way better than LNFSG but I know what you mean. They'd have to work harder on promotion. Once it gets enough attention I'm sure it'll do great. It's a great song with a lot of potential.

Yasss!! I knew it. :)

Great!

omfg. YES. now please make it #1. it could be a hit, if the promotion is done right.

Another duet would be cool.

Can someone please make a radio edit of APWNN?!

Onir must be happy

There probably be a radio edit soon ^

no duet is needed, please! Michael needs a solo hit...

I have no idea how promotion works or costs, but if this was sandbox mode this is what I'd do.
- New Sony adverts with APWNN
- Paid radio airplay
- Social media hype from other artists.
- Duet? Some people might disagree though.
- Premiere at VMAs.
- Another advert for the album Xscape.
- Promote it on iTunes page.
- Make snazzy artwork.
- Make a video that fits the song.
- Go crazyyy

Please NO duet this time. I get it that it could make a song more popular but one was enough. Even if it means the song will be less successful than LNFSG I'm not for making APWNN a duet at all. I want to listen to MJ on the radios, not some other artist singing his songs.

:( I wished for Blue Gangsta or Xscape as the 2nd single.

3199288209_1_2_0MpFe0t0.jpg
(fanmade)

Would be good if they got the name of the song right ;)

Great news though. Best song on the album and best song I've heard generally in ages.

Here's how America responded.
"We're honored that Michael Jackson chose to record it and we're impressed with the quality of the track. We're also hoping it will be released soon so that music listeners around the world can hear the whole song and once again experience the incomparable brilliance of Michael Jackson [...] Michael Jackson really did it justice and we truly hope his fans—and our fans—get to hear it in its entirety. It's really poignant."

APWNN has a story line which can result in a decent script. If I was the executors/Sony , I would find a writer to do a decent script. Then I would hire top (A list) director and actor and actress to do the short film. Such A-list names would be enough for the video to go viral and probably chart the single on streaming/video play alone.

They have done quite a lot "We love you MJ" videos with people dancing to MJ songs with previous footage of MJ inserted in. They need to do something different this time IMO.

Yeeeaah!
:d

Back