Michael Jackson's 'HIStory' Official 20th Anniversary Thread

Zakk

Proud Member
To start thing's off, here's a link to the official HIStory 20th anniversary calendar by Bravado:
https://www.danilo.com/Shop/Calendars/Music-Calendars/-Michael-Jackson-2015-Calendar

I am sincerely hoping that we will see a Blu-Ray transfer of one of the 1996 shows! Michael is said to have worked on 50 unreleased song's during these years, will Ghosts finally be released? Time will tell, but i am indeed excited.

Michael's best work and for me proof that he will always be the greatest. Faced with the biggest worldwide witch-hunt known to man and he still puts out the biggest double disc album of all time. Hopefully HIStory 20 is something special, as for me, it was his best work and my favourite overall era.

Just quickly - they didn't release Yokohama with Bad 25 because 'fans had already seen it'. Surely, Munich 1997 would be the same?

There were talks about the Munich show in 3D, but no confirmations. To be honest, I don't think there will be anything big HIStory 20th related. My bets on the next project is on Dangerous 25.
As long as there isn't anything official, this thread should belong into the Michaelmania session to keep the news-area clean.

They will keep with the 25 thing and hold off on anything related to this until the 25th year, probably.

It'd be nice to dream about,but I think they'll hold it off completely for now until 2020.

I love the HIStory album and I'd like if there would be something done for its anniversary, though it probably would be a HIStory 25, not HIStory 20. And like said Dangerous 25 should be done first. And an OTW anniversary release is long overdue too.

I understand if fans want a Blue-ray release of one of the HIStory tour's shows but I think in this case focus should be put on other aspects of the album and not really a tour release as this was Michael's weakest tour (the lip synching and all). I'm not saying no HIStory tour release should be at all, but in an anniversary release campaing do not make the tour the focus of that campaign. Show the strenghts of that era, not the weaknesses! So put the focus on the album itself - unreleased material. Documentary about the album, its making. For example, I heard Brad Sundberg shows some awesome material from that era in his seminars. Like footage of Michael recording Childhood - which by all accounts is simply mesmerizing. So put together a documentary from such material and with interviews with people who worked on that album with Michael.

Apparently there was some footage made of the rehearsals of the later cancaled HBO show. I'd like to see that too.

And of course the long overdue DVD/Blue-ray release of Ghosts! With making of, never before seen behind the scenes footage, Ghosts 1993 footage and all. So those are the things I'd focus on about HIStory, not really the tour.

The HIStory era is special to me - I became a fan during the Dangerous era, but was ready and waiting for new material as soon as HIStory hype began. It was also the beginning of 'information era Michaelmania'. I joined MJNI and would call its hotline for the latest Michael Jackson news - and remember Michael's webchat?

I thought it was a well run campaign, generally, with lots to look forward to (double-CD singles, TV appearances, Ghosts, concerts). The Mystery drink was a weird misstep, and I don't think the HIStory tour is anyone's favourite. Towards the end of the HIStory era, I think Michael's star was fading somewhat, which is a shame, as I think Blood on the Dance Floor is one of his most interesting records...

YEAHHHH!!! I really hope this will be released with some great pearls on it!! Ghost and making of would be really appreciated!!
A live show from that great era would be great!
Still anyway I hope that sonner or later there could be even a "Dangerous" annyversary!! This album (my second favourite one by MJ) really deserves an anniversary relaease!!

Ahh HIStory. The album that started it all for me. I remember the countless summer nights throughout Dec '08/Jan '09 where I would stay up to the wee hours, playing that album on my iPod over and over and over ^_^

I love the HIStory album and I'd like if there would be something done for its anniversary, though it probably would be a HIStory 25, not HIStory 20. And like said Dangerous 25 should be done first. And an OTW anniversary release is long overdue too.

I understand if fans want a Blue-ray release of one of the HIStory tour's shows but I think in this case focus should be put on other aspects of the album and not really a tour release as this was Michael's weakest tour (the lip synching and all). I'm not saying no HIStory tour release should be at all, but in an anniversary release campaing do not make the tour the focus of that campaign. Show the strenghts of that era, not the weaknesses! So put the focus on the album itself - unreleased material. Documentary about the album, its making. For example, I heard Brad Sundberg shows some awesome material from that era in his seminars. Like footage of Michael recording Childhood - which by all accounts is simply mesmerizing. So put together a documentary from such material and with interviews with people who worked on that album with Michael.

Apparently there was some footage made of the rehearsals of the later cancaled HBO show. I'd like to see that too.

And of course the long overdue DVD/Blue-ray release of Ghosts! With making of, never before seen behind the scenes footage, Ghosts 1993 footage and all. So those are the things I'd focus on about HIStory, not really the tour.

I agree.

I can't believe HIStory came out almost 20 years ago already! I still remember buy the album in store!

There was a calendar for Thriller 25, Re-release of the album. Then we got the BAD 25 Calendar, & The re-release. Tbh John Branca did announce plans to release the HISTORY World Tour in 3D & then we got information from mkgenie that they found a Rare format HD show in Europe and that was the one they would be using.. There's so many thing's that can be done for HISTORY 20th.. Ghosts, HISTORY World Tour of course, Unreleased tracks, Short Films, Making of short films, One Night Only Rehearsals among other's! i do hope that the calendar is just the start and it get's the celebration it deserves.

Well...
They could start by improving the lazy danilo calendar. It has 3 YANA pictures, 2 TDCAU, 2 Scream, 2 SIM in the same calendar. Also there is Come Together, but I guess this one is OK since the song is on history.
4 of them are not even "unedited" photos, but the 1:1 single covers. + the album cover which is ok considering the context.

My wishlist:
-Anniversary Edition of disc 2, the longer version of songs, unreleased songs + demos, Gift set with miniature history statue from the cover.
-Documentary about the album with lots of behind the scenes
-Ghosts standalone bluray release scanned from original source(all the versions 1993-1997) + old+new behind the scenes documentaries, effects re-rendered in terms of resolution if they are not HD. Including additional soundtrack CD with the used songs/instrumentals + score by Nicholas Pike
-1996 history show on bluray (including lots of behind the scenes footage)
-All the short films on bluray recompiled from original source and effects in HD (although history short films are good enough I guess on history on film II) + long making-ofs

Last edited:
Didn't someone say recently the Estate found a HD show from a Europe show (not Munich?) I'm sure I read that - we should get that one ;)

Didn't someone say recently the Estate found a HD show from a Europe show (not Munich?) I'm sure I read that - we should get that one ;)

MkGenie said it, which is what i pointed out in my above post. He said it was a rare format HD show found in Europe.

Wish they filmed the melbourne one in november 24 1996

Shame they couldn't find better pictures for the calendar. Single covers, really?

It was most likely just speculation. John Branca mentioned the Munich concert in Bad 25 Q&A.

they should release the history tour in Munich but not the version we all have:

#1. It should be in 3D
#2. The audio mix should be the one used in the unedited version.
#3. Live vocals should be used from rehearsals or other shows he sung them live.
#4. Re-edit the camera angles using both the unedited and edited versions. (cut out audience shots, etc).

This would give the feeling its something totally different to wat we've all seen/heard and in the best quality possible.

I am secretly hoping they will re-release History on vinyl because that thing is a pain to find nowadays...

If that calendar ends up being the official one then I'm not going to have a Michael Jackson calendar for 2015 :p

If that calendar ends up being the official one then I'm not going to have a Michael Jackson calendar for 2015 :p

I'll probably end up buying it, but only if there's a celebration box set too ;)

20th anniversary for the album or Ghosts shouldn't happen. They need to worry about Dangerous 25 first. Don't worry about HIStory/BOTDF25 until 2020

20th anniversary for the album or Ghosts shouldn't happen. They need to worry about Dangerous 25 first. Don't worry about HIStory/BOTDF25 until 2020

Thriller 25, BAD 25, Dangerous 25, HIStory 20th.. so cool! i think HIStory 20th should happen, but they shouldn't lack one bit on the Dangerous anniversary.. i want Tokyo 1992 with the full setlist!

Album anniversaries are usually celebrated on their 25th anniversary, not 20th. I agree they should do Dangerous 25 before they do HIStory - and that should be HIStory 25, not HIStory 20. HIStory 20 would put it before Dangerous 25 and that would not be good IMO. One step at a time. For now, focus on Dangerous 25, no need to rush and release everything within a couple of years.

Album anniversaries are usually celebrated on their 25th anniversary, not 20th. I agree they should do Dangerous 25 before they do HIStory - and that should be HIStory 25, not HIStory 20. HIStory 20 would put it before Dangerous 25 and that would not be good IMO. One step at a time. For now, focus on Dangerous 25, no need to rush and release everything within a couple of years.

They need to release two projects in one year to fulfill the contract, Thriller & HIStory would be perfect for next year IMO.

At the minute, the anniversaries are in order. Thriller, then Bad. Next should definitely be Dangerous. It's a shame they couldn't compile Off The Wall 30 in 2009 (planned before Michael's death I believe.)

At the minute, the anniversaries are in order. Thriller, then Bad. Next should definitely be Dangerous. It's a shame they couldn't compile Off The Wall 30 in 2009 (planned before Michael's death I believe.)

OTW 30 was planned before This Is It, but it was put on the back burner when TII was announced. Who knows what would have happened to it!

Back