Best of Joy - Wowness

J5master

Proud Member
So I'm doing some house cleaning right now but I had to stop - I felt really compelled to write something on this song, even though I'm well aware that the members of this board have already talked about this song to death. Forgive me, I'm late with pretty much everything post-2009 lol.

I cannot count how many times this song made me cry since it came out in 2010. And it came on my music player today as I was cleaning, and just the ...eerie, but beautiful, but painful, but spiritual COLOR of this song - I just really cannot get over it.

Did this song get lost in translation or buried underneath all the bickering over the "Michael" album that occurred back then and still continues today?

Listening to this song...its kinda like....who cares who's right or wrong about ANYTHING regarding MJ's death or posthumous stuff or any of that. This song so so shockingly Michael, so real, so deep so beyond anything I've ever heard him do to be quite honest. Dare I say that I think its one of his best songs ever.

Why? Not because it broke records. Maybe not because its produced perfectly, or had the best 'pop' sound or whatever. Its because the words and the soul from which the music comes from is this song, is just so fully interwoven. Its perfection in that way.

So when I hear quotes about MJ binding his soul to his music - I never really truly FELT it, like really felt it in my being, until I heard Best of Joy - and every listen after the first.

It goes without saying that the fact that this was being worked on in 2009 added to the emotion I'm feeling about this song. But how INCREDIBLE is that? Again, when MJ said that God drops melodies and songs into his lap and he was a channel for that? I never FELT the truth in what he said really until I listened to Best of Joy. How in the WORLD could he write such as song that spoke so beyond his time on earth, that was so prophetic, yet so HAPPY and PEACEFUL and unconditionally loving?

I can listen to this song and hear Michael's soul, I can hear God in it. I can hear the pureness of nature in it.

"WE are forever."

I see the family MJ left behind in this. I see all of us as fans in this. And I see humanity in this. Its unimaginably beautiful. What does any of our bickering matter when MJ gave us a song like this to draw from? It has everything we need to know about how to deal with MJ's death and everything that happened afterwards right in the lyrics and in the spaces between notes. And its our job to believe those words are true, just like every single other song MJ has sung since he was 10. "When I sing, thats what I really mean"

I encourage everyone to give this song another listen. And just...really listen to it.

I was so appalled at the audacity of the producers and the Estate for putting these three fake songs on the Michael album that I never even viewed it as a proper Michael Jackson album, posthumous release or not, and Michael is therefore kind of under my radar, unfortunately.

So thanks for pointing Best of Joy out! I probably listened to it once or twice when it came out, might have thought it was nice and sweet but not a big deal and forgot about it. Do you know when it was written and recorded?

I think the lyrics are beautiful and very, very personal, since they are clearly about Michael's relationship to God, in my opinion. The line "I am forever" I believe refers to the perpetuity of God and not Michael praising himself, as I have read in the youtube comments section...

Sure I think it can be all of that in one. I never felt "I am forever' was 'praising' himself though, if I look at it as him speaking about himself. I see it as him saying his love is forever to who ever he's singing the song too. That it has no limits and won't die. Or what ever BOND he's talking about is forever. And if love from the soul survives - its eternal. Because he doesn't just say "I am forever" he says "WE are forever." Which means the person/people he is talking to are one in the same.

And it could be sung in so many different ways at the same time which makes it so brilliant. Sure, it could be about God. Could be about a lover (a simple love song if you want to interpret it that way). At first I thought it was a song to his kids. Now I see it as almost a prophetic projection (not saying he's psychic but...I definitely think something higher than MJ was speaking through him in this song) of his love for those that cared about him (his fans, those who grieved for him, etc). It was worked on and recorded in 2009, its one of the last songs he ever worked on which adds more weight to it, as mentioned earlier. Not sure when it was originally written though.

But honestly? I think its about all these things at the same time.

I think its about love itself, in its entirety (it includes divine love, romantic love, paternal love, platonic love, love from afar, shared love in the oneness of humanity). Transcendent love. The kind of love he talks about in Dancing the Dream.

I think it's a love note to his fans, honestly. Maybe a simplistic interpretation, but it's my 'warm and fuzzy" song when I want to be reminded of the love/connection/appreciation he felt for us.

This is one of my favourite MJ Songs. I love it so much :) Wasn't it recorded in 2008?

^allegedly in 2009, according to the not-thrustworthy wikipedia it was one of his last songs.

I'm sure it might have been recorded in 2008. Knowing how MJ works, he probably still kept working on it as late as 2009 though. So both dates could be right.

I love the song. I am confused over it's title though. Only once in the whole song MJ says the song title (Best Of Joy). Was it always Best Of Joy, or was it ever called "Forever", like MJ sings over and over?

It's kinda like "Chicago". He only sings it once and everyone and their Grandma knows the original title was She Was Loving Me. Why change it?

^ It's a title given by Michael:

Best-of-joy-handwritten-note-michael-jackson-18518361-361-459.jpg

Listen to the album, it's worth it :) Avoid Breaking News, Keep Your Head Up and Monster and enjoy the other 7 tracks!

The fanmade acapella of Behind The Mask is better than the album version, the not needed live sounds from Bucharest are less obvious.

The live sounds is the only thing I really dislike on the album version. Other than that I think the production on that song is extremely good!

The live sounds is the only thing I really dislike on the album version. Other than that I think the production on that song is extremely good!

BTM is a cracker, I don't mind the live sounds. The only thing I dislike is Shanice's screaming at the end.

Much Too Soon is also beautiful.

Worth all the strife for those 2 songs alone.

I love the song. I am confused over it's title though. Only once in the whole song MJ says the song title (Best Of Joy). Was it always Best Of Joy, or was it ever called "Forever", like MJ sings over and over?

Yeah i think that was supposed to be the title. I'm not sure why everyone is up and arms about stuff like that though since MJ wasn't 100% consistent with the way he titles his songs. I don't see much of a difference between the two titles (She Was Loving Me and Chicago) as far as impact (though obviously I'm partial to Chicago lol). I think they just wanted something punchy.

It's the same as You Rock my World vs Rock My World. I know MJ himself always called it Rock My World since I believe that was the title that was assigned to it for ages (and he even called it that in the Private HOme Movies special), but it is officially You Rock My World.

I didn't listen to anything on "Michael". Is this one of the songs you recommended when I asked which ones weren't fake, J5?

Yep. This was probably the top song I recommended.
It was really the only song that hit me to the core when I listened to the album the first time. That and Much Too Soon. Behind The Mask is good too. (and TBH I actually liked Monster, but thats one of the alleged "fake" ones)

Honestly I think people should just listen to it and decide for themselves whether to listen to it again. But listen to it at least once because there are some really beautiful songs on there.

Such a beautiful, immaculate and spirtual song. I put this song together with the likes of other songs like, Will You Be There. How can you not feel optimistic after hearing Michael singing words like, "We Are Forever". I remember how this song gave me solace and helped me through some difficult times and that's what music is really all about. That's what Michael was all about. Almost 4 years has gone since i heard it for the first time and i'm happy to say that this song is among my all time favorites

I think "Michael" gave us some great songs!

HMH - too much AKON I agree on that, but still a great sweet song IMO !!

HT - PERFECT song !! - They should NOT have changed the bridge and cut out the "she's only fifteen" but still a true MJ gem! Great song, great beat etc.

Best of Joy - like Speechless - pure love. A love so real and thick you can feel it!! Great vocals, great production - a song I think MJ would have been very happy to release in 2009 had he not died...

Another Day - not my favorite. But it has a Dirty Diana, Give into me etc. rock feeling, strong vocals and all in all a very fine song.

Behind The Mask - even though the verse is copied in an extra time - like in HT - it is great! I am not a fan of the live feel they wanted to give the song. Had they kept the live stuff out it had been even better.

Much Too Soon - one of my all time favorite songs. So sweet, so innocent. Like she's out of my life - the pain, the emotions, the voice - perfection IMO !! MTS is the best song on Michael IMO!

I love, love, love this song! It's truly a gem and gets stuck in my head so easily. I truly believe Michael is telling the ones who have been loyal to him that he is there for all of us too! I know he is always in my heart, always on my mind

There are some songs that takes time to win your heart. But there are certain songs that leave a profound effect on you the first time you hear them. Best of Joy is one such song for me. I fell in love with it the first time I heard it. It's my favourite posthumous song from Michael. The vocals from MJ on this song are absolutely immaculate. I was surprised to learn that it was recorded in late 2008. I honestly thought it was recorded during the Dangerous Era. Michael's vocals were incredible at 50. He still had it. I listen to Best of Joy at least once a day. It's such a sweet and innocent song.

Last edited:
I love this breath-taking song. It just makes me smile and that's a gift I'm glad Mike could share with the world and me personally. For that I'll always be grateful

listen to the non cascio tracks, there is no reason not to.. Some good stuff for sure! especially knowing Best of Joy was recorded in his last years..

Kind of weird how he sings "I am forever".... knowing this could have been one of the last songs...

I didn't listen to anything on "Michael". Is this one of the songs you recommended when I asked which ones weren't fake, J5?

That is crazy. Or weird. Crazyweird... Why ignore 6 (SIX) genuine, great & unheard before, MJ songs??? Especially when nowadays you can get them legally (iTunes, Qobuz, HDtracks) without having to buy the album.

Listen to the album, it's worth it :) Avoid Breaking News, Keep Your Head Up and Monster and enjoy the other 7 tracks!

THAT.

Kind of weird how he sings "I am forever".... knowing this could have been one of the last songs...

Michael is forever. Through his music and his dancing, he will live on forever.

Amazing song.

I will never undestand those who boycuts the entire Michael album... - It's only 3 songs you should ignore...

There are some great songs on the album.

Hold My Hand
Best of Joy
Another Day
Behind the Maks
Much To Soon

Those 5 songs are great. - Much to Soon and Best of Joy even sounds like something MJ could have released himself IMO. - Maybe Hold My Hand too.

Ignore the Cascio songs and listen to the real gems - it's magic. I am so very grateful these other song were released. I enjoy them very much.

Amazing song.

I will never undestand those who boycuts the entire Michael album... - It's only 3 songs you should ignore...

There are some great songs on the album.

Hold My Hand
Best of Joy
Another Day
Behind the Maks
Much To Soon

Those 5 songs are great. - Much to Soon and Best of Joy even sounds like something MJ could have released himself IMO. - Maybe Hold My Hand too.

Ignore the Cascio songs and listen to the real gems - it's magic. I am so very grateful these other song were released. I enjoy them very much.

Imo, Hollywood Tonight is the best song to be released posthumously. That could have legitametly been a hit had it they done a better mix and promoted it better

Imo, Hollywood Tonight is the best song to be released posthumously. That could have legitametly been a hit had it they done a better mix and promoted it better

:wild: I can not believe I forgot Hollywood Tonight - a true MJ classic. Great great song.

So many great songs on the album - but only 3 songs gets focus... Very Sad... - Michael should be re-released without the 3 Cascio songs. - That would be a perfect 7 song album...

Best of Joy is a gem and outstanding from beginning to end. Top five favorite MJ songs of all time, easily.

Back