HIStory Brunei Blu Ray

rsggamer123

Proud Member
I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread to talk about the HIStory concert in Brunei and the possibility it could one day be officially released on Blu Ray.

Zakk, a member here at mjjc apparently has confirmation both the Royal and HIStory shows from Brunei were both filmed in HD. Zakk would you mind giving us details as to how you got this confirmation?

mkgenie, another member of mjjc has stated the estate has plans to release the HIStory tour on Blu Ray or in theatres in the near future and that they have a rare concert filmed in hd from Europe in their possession. Could the HIStory Brunei show be the one they are planning on releasing?

I for one sure as hell hope so as this is one of the absolute best HIStory tour shows out there IMO.

What are your thoughts on this? Would you be happy to have a HIStory Brunei Blu Ray release?

Last edited:
I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread to talk about the HIStory concert in Brunei and the possibility it could one day be officially released on Blu Ray.

Zakk, a member here at mjjc apparently has confirmation both the Royal and HIStory shows from Brunei were both filmed in HD. Zakk would you mind giving us details as to how you got this confirmation?

mkgenie, another member of mjjc has stated the estate has plans to release the HIStory tour on Blu Ray or in theatres in the near future and that they have a rare concert filmed in hd from Europe in their possession. Could the HIStory Brunei show be the one they are planning on releasing?

I for one sure as hell hope so as this is one of the absolute best HIStory tour shows out there IMO.

What are your thoughts on this? Would you be happy to have a HIStory Brunei Blu Ray release?

It was mkgenie who confirmed that the estate are still working on the 3D Theatrical HIStory project, i think this is a great thread.. these shows deserve a lot of attention! Gavin Taylor was known for being state of the art in his field, he first filmed U2 in the 1980's and has since gone on to film Queen's legendary 1986 concert at Wembley Stadium. But it was in 1992 that brought the attention of the world to new visual height's, as Bob Dylan: The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration at MSG was filmed in Native Analog HD format! the scanning lines were 1125 (also known as 1080i). Now, we come to the Brunei shows. Gavin was asked to film both Brunei shows in July & December of 1996. The request of course coming from the Sultan & Prince of Brunei, Gavin recently before starting working with Michael left his work in England. Using state of the art, highest quality available camera's at that time.. Gavin Taylor intimately filmed these moments in Michael's career. In 2009, Gavin invited the journal to a private 3 minute preview of the HWT Brunei concert, that was stored in his personal library! Unfortunately, Gavin is no longer with us.. but these shows highlight Michael's genius and energy as a live performer. And that is why i strongly believe that both these shows, should get the justified treatment they deserve by being released on Blu-Ray & Live CD for the world to finally enjoy.

Sources;
http://www.thejournal.co.uk/culture/music/gavin-taylor-filmed-rare-footage-4476790
http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/ponteland-tv-film-director-gavin-4714903
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/michael-jackson-director-recalls-filming-1456696

Early MUSE Analog HD (Hi-Vision) standards:
NHK-1980 1125 lines 60 Hz 20 MHz 7 MHz 5.5 MHz 5/3
MUSE 1986 1125 lines 60 Hz 20 MHz 6.5 MHz 5.5 MHz 5/3
SMPTE 1987 (studio) 1125 lines 60 Hz 30 MHz 30 MHz 30 MHz 16/9

Last edited:
Thank you for that Zakk. Can we be certain that this is the show that the estate are planning to release and not another one? Is there a possibility that the estate doesn't even have this show in their possession?

Thank you for that Zakk. Can we be certain that this is the show that the estate are planning to release and not another one? Is there a possibility that the estate doesn't even have this show in their possession?

Well, the information that was revealed to mkgenie by his source revealed that the show was discovered in Europe and that the format is rare, considering they were the source for the ZDF HD Broadcast in 2010, it shows that Munich was not at all rare.. there's no confirmation or certainty that it's Brunei.. but it looks like thing's are heading that way right now.

If true then awesome news! This is definitely the show that should be released on Blu Ray. His energy in this show is amazing and this is certainly one of if not the best HIStory shows available.

Im just wondering though why does the concert look so dark in the (crappy) youtube quality version? Also there is a slight 'blue' colour throughout most of the show. Was it really like this? I understand that Munich is much better quality but even if it was the same quality as Brunei I think the colors would look so much better. Hope this makes sense!

If true then awesome news! This is definitely the show that should be released on Blu Ray. His energy in this show is amazing and this is certainly one of if not the best HIStory shows available.

Im just wondering though why does the concert look so dark in the (crappy) youtube quality version? Also there is a slight 'blue' colour throughout most of the show. Was it really like this? I understand that Munich is much better quality but even if it was the same quality as Brunei I think the colors would look so much better. Hope this makes sense!

I understand your thought's regarding this, it has been said that both of the VHS leaks from the Brunei 1996 shows have come from the Jumbotron screens.. and not from the original professional footage! the blue tint could have something to do with Color grading that was done after the shows, if you recall there is also a blue tint on the 1988 Minneapolis footage from BAD 25! so it's not uncommon, although yes it does look weird when watching the VHS ;) Photo from the 2009 Private screening, you can see a blue tint here also.. so i would assume the shows were in fact color graded; http://i3.thejournal.co.uk/incoming...ed-two-michael-jackson-concerts-422524232.jpg

Update: Not only can this concert be released on Blu-Ray in Full HD Resolution, but the audio can also be DTS-HD 5.1! Check out the audio from this celebrated Concert. Tomorrow i will also be creating an online petition.

IWYB/TLYS/IBT:

WBSS:

HIStory:

Billie Jean:

You Are Not Alone:

I truly think this is the best HWT show out there, and it deserves to be seen in the highest quality.

I totally agree Zakk. Ive been wondering though why was MJ going to release just a live cd instead of a vhs of the actual show?

Also being that this was filmed in hd would that mean that the quality will be similar to munich? Judging by the screenshot posted above it doesn't look quite as good quality wise as Munich. I guess its hard to tell though.

I totally agree Zakk. Ive been wondering though why was MJ going to release just a live cd instead of a vhs of the actual show?

Also being that this was filmed in hd would that mean that the quality will be similar to munich? Judging by the screenshot posted above it doesn't look quite as good quality wise as Munich. I guess its hard to tell though.

Well both shows were distributed in Brunei, for the fans to get to see the shows! Michael gave copies to the Italian fan club, to share with all the fan community.. but they decided to keep it hidden.. and only the Royal Concert has been seen in HQ. Well, from the screenshot.. yes it looks a little blurry but if you zoom in, Gavin looks low resolution also.. as though it's been downscaled drastically which does result in loss of detail!

The only thing i don't like about this concert is the lack of energy from the crowd. perhaps they could somehow cut the audience shots? Also i just wish Blood On The Dance floor was included in the set list. I was thinking perhaps they could incorporate BOTDF from Munich into the concert since Munich is also HD but then it wouldn't be authentic and alot of fans would complain.

The only thing i don't like about this concert is the lack of energy from the crowd. perhaps they could somehow cut the audience shots? Also i just wish Blood On The Dance floor was included in the set list. I was thinking perhaps they could incorporate BOTDF from Munich into the concert since Munich is also HD but then it wouldn't be authentic and alot of fans would complain.

Yes, the audience don't seem as lively.. but they are a part of the show.. i assume they were asked to behave, as these concerts were set up by the prince & the sultan.. the handheld shots look beautiful though.. i think Gavin did as best as he could to capture the excitement & aura of the whole experience! hmm, well the stage does look slightly similar to the one that was built in Munich.. but i think maybe they should include it as an extra possibly?

Perhaps they could make it a 'HIStory tour' release featuring a mix of both the 4th and 6th of July shows from Munich (which were both filmed in hd) aswell as Brunei. So all three concerts made into one, kind of similar to This Is It. But obviously make it feel as if it is one concert. This way you could also incorporate BOTDF. They would just need to cut all crowd shots if they were to make it feel like one concert.

Perhaps they could make it a 'HIStory tour' release featuring a mix of both the 4th and 6th of July shows from Munich (which were both filmed in hd) aswell as Brunei. So all three concerts made into one, kind of similar to This Is It. But obviously make it feel as if it is one concert. This way you could also incorporate BOTDF. They would just need to cut all crowd shots if they were to make it feel like one concert.

That is of course another possible way, but the HIStorical value & significance of the Brunei shows should be a motivator for the Jackson Estate.. the fact that the stadium was built specifically for these concerts are one reason they should be released.. but also everything that surrounded these moments. Of course Munich can be released as well, but i think Michael's wishes for it to not be released should be blessed! the live vocals are well below par on July 4th & 6th.. the worst two shows of the tour for sure.

The stadium was built specifically for those two shows? wow! And i never really understand the strong dislike for Munich. To me its a fine show, definitely not his best but personally i think its probably better then the Royal concert.

The stadium was built specifically for those two shows? wow! And i never really understand the strong dislike for Munich. To me its a fine show, definitely not his best but personally i think its probably better then the Royal concert.

I don't think it is better than the Royal Concert, not by a long shot... Michael just wasn't right during those performances, his voice was very much effected! even more than it had been during the other performances from the tour. We will have to hope, and to wait and see.. i assume they will include BOTDF is some way though!

Yeah his voice was pretty horrible in Munich to be honest though i don't think he sounds fantastic in Brunei either. But even so i do think it is definitely one of the best shows of the tour.

Yeah his voice was pretty horrible in Munich to be honest though i don't think he sounds fantastic in Brunei either. But even so i do think it is definitely one of the best shows of the tour.

Of course his voice wasn't near the peak it was from 1976-1992.. but i think Brunei did have some great vocal moments, including the ad libs during WBSS & BJ! i also think his vocal during the performance of I'll Be There is brilliant too.

One queston: Where is it stated that the Brunei concert was shot with HD capable cameras? Are you just assuming it was because that is how the Bob Dylan concert was shot? I would like to see the release happening. More Michael concert releases the better. :)

One queston: Where is it stated that the Brunei concert was shot with HD capable cameras? Are you just assuming it was because that is how the Bob Dylan concert was shot? I would like to see the release happening. More Michael concert releases the better. :)

i think the fact it says ''start of the art technology during that time'' indicates that it is Analog HD!

Can anyone create posters & visual trailers for the petition?

Last edited:
The article also says Jackson was at his pomp during the show, maybe it's best to take the article with a grain of salt as we all know that isn't true.

dam2040;4050637 said:
The article also says Jackson was at his pomp during the show, maybe it's best to take the article with a grain of salt as we all know that isn't true.

you're saying the director was lying? he screened it in 2009.. he also says in the article that Michael was at his peak and proved he was a great performer.

''pomp
pɒmp/Submit
noun
ceremony and splendid display.''

''Dictionary entry overview: What does pomp mean?
• POMP (noun)
The noun POMP has 2 senses:
ceremonial elegance and splendor''

“Just watch this,” says Gavin, fast forwarding to the end. “Even I didn’t know this was going to happen.”

At the very end of the concert, a huge tank trundles onto the stage, a soldier jumps out and points a rifle at the singer who then subdues him into a blubbering heap with a message of peace and love.

“He certainly knew how to put on a show,” says Gavin.

How did he feel when he heard the singer had died?

“I was surprised but I wouldn’t say I was shocked. I think he was under such a huge amount of pressure and he was also in a lot of pain.

“I met him in the peak of condition''

Last edited:
you're saying the director was lying? he screened it in 2009.. he also says in the article that Michael was at his peak and proved he was a great performer.

I don't think he was at his peak. Maybe they thought so because non-fans might not notice the lip-syncing so easily.

I don't think he was at his peak. Maybe they thought so because non-fans might not notice the lip-syncing so easily.

True, but Michael was a very healthy weight during those shows and his dancing is effortless..

He certainly wasn't at his peak but i do believe that this tour should be celebrated as it is a part of HIStory. Personally i would release it as a mix with all four concerts (Munich July 4th, Munich July 6th, Royal Brunei and HIStory Brunei) in a similar fashion to This Is It but make it feel as if it is one concert. This way they could include Blood On The Dance Floor from Munich and perhaps use Earth Song from the Royal show (those amazing vocals at the end!) cut out all audience to make it feel as 'intimate' as possible and they should use the unedited audio at least for some of the songs.

If done well this could be an amazing release.

Speaking about the HWT I think we should all agree that Michael's dancing, energy and overall performance was best at late '96 HIStory tour leg (India, Malaysia, Australian leg, Tokyo).

Speaking about the HWT I think we should all agree that Michael's dancing, energy and overall performance was best at late '96 HIStory tour leg (India, Malaysia, Australian leg, Tokyo).

I couldn't agree with you more, he looked very strained during the 1997 shows.. i also think the live vocals were far better, especially the ad libs during Billie Jean & of course WBSS

And not forget to add Singapore '96
ehre.gif
One of the strongest HIStory performances ever!

If this is the concert they have in the highest quality, I'm in!
Although I would prefer Amsterdam 1996 (first 2 concerts) + Lausanne 1997 since I attended :):
Pretty good stuff also in Lausanne, at 1:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8gu2Az0lkE

In terms of visuals, from what I've seen Prague is the best, not to mention it's THE FIRST SHOW. In no other concert does the lighting and costume in TDCAU look better, 1:20 onwards is just EPICNESS, the misstep at 1:55 is no problem imo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k49-iT0vuIk

I think they should "remix" the sound though so we can really hear the live instruments (like the BOTDF example). They also should add missing songs from other concerts and still call it "live in Brunei or whatever". They should add live vocals (for example also from other history shows) and replace and/or merge them with the playback to make it the best possible experience.
Maybe some backstage stuff cut-in (between the songs) could also work (like a concert with some documentary aspects).

Last edited:
If this is the concert they have in the highest quality, I'm in!
Although I would prefer Amsterdam 1996 (first 2 concerts) + Lausanne 1997 since I attended :):
Pretty good stuff also in Lausanne, at 1:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8gu2Az0lkE

In terms of visuals, from what I've seen Prague is the best, not to mention it's THE FIRST SHOW. In no other concert does the lighting and costume in TDCAU look better, 1:20 onwards is just EPICNESS, the misstep at 1:55 is no problem imo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k49-iT0vuIk

I think they should "remix" the sound though so we can really hear the live instruments (like the BOTDF example). They also should add missing songs from other concerts and still call it "live in Brunei or whatever". They should add live vocals (for example also from other history shows) and replace and/or merge them with the playback to make it the best possible experience.
Maybe some backstage stuff cut-in (between the songs) could also work (like a concert with some documentary aspects).

Gavin filmed Michael getting off the aircraft when he arrived in Brunei! i'm not sure if there is any other backstage footage than that, although the fans could have been filmed arriving at the stadium! the Brunei audio is better than any that i have heard from the whole tour, the live vocals for scream are in the original Video edit! so they should include that in the Blu-Ray also IMO.. i personally think they should use live VOX from the microphone recording's, in song's such as Heal The World & YANA at least! i think any song's that are missing should be included as extra's for example BOTDF from Munich July 4th! not sure if there's any High Def footage of CT/DS & OTW Medley though..

Back