XScape on Vinyl is excellent

odedia

Proud Member
Just wanted to let everyone know my impressions on Xscape on Vinyl (UK Import).

I find myself enjoying it on Vinyl much more than in digital form. It's not just the fact that I love vinyl, I think that this transfer was done much been better than for CD, and it's not just a digital format being played out to an analog form.

The best place I am hearing this is on the first track, "love never felt so good". In the CD version, the second chorus has the background drums out of sync for like 0.05 seconds. It drives me nuts that I am unable to listen to that track, I'm very sensitive to those types of things, and I felt it is a very low quality production to have such an error in a production release.

On the Vinyl - this does not occur. The drums are perfectly in sync with the rest of the vocals.

In general, the quality is excellent. I love a good Vinyl transfer even in the digital age of 2014.

Just wanted to let everyone know my impressions on Xscape on Vinyl (UK Import).

I find myself enjoying it on Vinyl much more than in digital form. It's not just the fact that I love vinyl, I think that this transfer was done much been better than for CD, and it's not just a digital format being played out to an analog form.

The best place I am hearing this is on the first track, "love never felt so good". In the CD version, the second chorus has the background drums out of sync for like 0.05 seconds. It drives me nuts that I am unable to listen to that track, I'm very sensitive to those types of things, and I felt it is a very low quality production to have such an error in a production release.

On the Vinyl - this does not occur. The drums are perfectly in sync with the rest of the vocals.

In general, the quality is excellent. I love a good Vinyl transfer even in the digital age of 2014.

All songs were originally recorded digital in 24/44. The mastering was done in 24/96.

Maybe the master is different compared to other audio mediums which can cause your joy trough out the listening experience.

The CD and the high resolution audio masters were too much brickwalled in my opinion.

I have the vinyl too but have only listened once so far (waiting for a new preamp as my other one bust). However, I do worry about modern vinyl releases in terms of whether it's simply exactly the same digital audio from the CD that's pressed onto the vinyl, which kinda makes the whole thing pointless in a way. I still haven't managed to find out if this is the case. At least one still gets the LP-sized cover art, anyway. :)

Next time I'm vinylling it up I will listen out for the bit you've highlighted in LNFSG. If it really is different to the CD, I wonder what caused it?

I would imagine it is at least a transfer from the master recording at 24/192khz and they use high quality digital to analog converters, better than most of us can afford.
Anyway with a quality turntable and preamp+amp it sounds great.

I think I have most of Michael's albums on high quality 180g vinyl. Best place to look is Amazon UK or Amazon Italy.

Weren't there reports that the vinyl sounded pretty terrible? APWNN sounding totally weird etc..

Apart from a special Vinyl-Mastering, the source files for the vinyl and CD should be identical. I don't think anyone would care to change anything within the actual production of the song just for this vinyl release last second. Those days are over. Vinyl is just for a bunch of collectors, it's no mass media anymore.

However putting on a vinyl record stimulates more senses then pressing a play button. Thats the magic of vinyl, nothting more. Vinyl usually sounds worse, when you objectively listen close. It has to, because there has to be a cut on very hight and very low frequencies. Sometimes this creates the impression of a more "warm" sound, but if you want to have the full quality as it was produced in the studio, you won't get around the CD or WAV files.

Last edited:
I think I have most of Michael's albums on high quality 180g vinyl. Best place to look is Amazon UK or Amazon Italy.

Another trick by the industry. It doesn't matter if they press it on 180g or a normal 120~140g vinyl. The thickness of the plastic plays absolutely no role on the sound. Or does a tasty soup taste better when you put a second plate beneath the first? :D

It simply means that the vinyl won't bend with time (or in heat). A straight vinyl DOES sound better, because when the needle goes up and down during playback, it distorts the sound.

vinyl doesn't bend over time. i have about 2000+ of them and that never happened.
that only happens when it's treated extremely inappropriate (e.g. hanging the naked vinyl on a wall for ages... exposing it to hot summer sun for too long etc)
this is plastic, not chocolate. :)

Bottom line is, stability is important in vinyl. It's all about stability, the turntable feet, the weight in the needle etc.
and chocolate vinyl sounds tasty :).

I really want to get some of Michael's albums on vinyl. I have the original 80's albums, but they're all warped now.

Urban Outfitters is a good place to get some of the newer MJ vinyl. They have Thriller 25, Bad 25 and Xscape.

Urban Outfitters is a good place to get some of the newer MJ vinyl. They have Thriller 25, Bad 25 and Xscape.

I have an Amazon Prime membership, so it probably would be better to get it from them. Free two day shipping!

I just need to get some money, so that I can afford it. I've been out of work for two months now, and my finances aren't that great.

• [*=left]
    [*=left]
    [*=left]
    Upcoming Deal
    West Bend 41413 Hi-Rise Loaf Programmable Bread...
    Starts at 2:00 PM
    [*=left]

Upcoming Deal
    XSCAPE - Michael Jackson
    Starts at 2:00 PM

*** there is an upcoming sale on XSCAPE ALBUM (INCLUDE VYNYL????) AT 2PM 11/26/2014 ON AMAZON US.

Back