Singles that weren't released in the US

Doggone

Proud Member
As you guys all know Michael didn't release some single in the US but he did release them elsewhere such as in Europe, Australia, Asia, South America or Canada. Or there are even single that are pretty good that he didn't even release as a single.

Give In To Me, Liberian Girl, Leave Me Alone and Earth Song were released abroad but weren't released in his home country.

Do you think that these singles were potential #1 singles? Since all of these songs had a moderate or huge succes and were praised by some critics... Sometimes I really get upset with Michael for not releasing Earth Song and Give In To Me because especially these songs were a hit abroad.

What do you think? And do you guys know why he didn't release these singles?

I'd say it wasn't his decision but his record company's. Michael was bigger outside of US since Bad Tour so it is understandable that more singles were released outside of the US, especially during Dangerous and HIStory Tours. What is unexplainable is Earth Song. Because that was 3rd single from HIStory (after record setting hugely successful You Are Not Alone) and a crucial one for continuous success of the album. Without 3rd single in US there was a huge gap between You Are Not Alone and They Don't Care About Us (which was boycotted by radio stations in US) and people just stopped buying the record. Also not touring there didn't help either.

I wish MJ would have toured more here in the US than he did. The fans would have loved it but I understand why he did not.

I'd say it wasn't his decision but his record company's. Michael was bigger outside of US since Bad Tour so it is understandable that more singles were released outside of the US, especially during Dangerous and HIStory Tours. What is unexplainable is Earth Song. Because that was 3rd single from HIStory (after record setting hugely successful You Are Not Alone) and a crucial one for continuous success of the album. Without 3rd single in US there was a huge gap between You Are Not Alone and They Don't Care About Us (which was boycotted by radio stations in US) and people just stopped buying the record. Also not touring there didn't help either.

Oh I see... So if it was for Michael he would have released the songs in the States as well? Can you tell me more about the boycott of TDCAU?

I wish MJ would have toured more here in the US than he did. The fans would have loved it but I understand why he did not.

Yeah me too.... But I do fully understand why he didn't want to tour over there. Yet he would have been more successful if he did perform in the States....

Oh I see... So if it was for Michael he would have released the songs in the States as well? Can you tell me more about the boycott of TDCAU?
TDCAU was boycotted because of Michael's supposed anti-Jewish comments made in the song during the second verse: "Jew me,sue me,everybody do me. Kick me,**** me,don't you black or white me".
He later explained he didn't mean to offend with those lyrics,even though they were censored immediately after the first pressings and in the radio edit,so why they did it to begin with is beyond me. I think after the first round of molestation allegations is when America began to hate Michael.

TDCAU was boycotted because of Michael's supposed anti-Jewish comments made in the song during the second verse: "Jew me,sue me,everybody do me. Kick me,**** me,don't you black or white me".
He later explained he didn't mean to offend with those lyrics,even though they were censored immediately after the first pressings and in the radio edit,so why they did it to begin with is beyond me. I think after the first round of molestation allegations is when America began to hate Michael.

Oh there talkin' about that... I can't understand why it's controversy for ''Jew me, sue me. Everybody do me. Kick me, **** me. Don't you black or white me.'' Damn.... People really can get insulted very easily even if Michael didn't even want to insult the Jewish community...

Oh and I forgot to add Working Day And Night on the list! WHY DIDN'T THEY RELEASE THAT ONE?! :mello:

Oh and I forgot to add Working Day And Night on the list! WHY DIDN'T THEY RELEASE THAT ONE?! :mello:

Exactly! Instead of Girlfriend!

And I would add The Lady In My Life.

Exactly! Instead of Girlfriend!

And I would add The Lady In My Life.

WDAN would be a #1 definitely!! I can't stand that Rihanna has 13 #1 hits as well. I really hate how people underrate Michael and the stupid decisions the Estate and Sony make. They only care about the money and not about his legacy...

WDAN would be a #1 definitely!! I can't stand that Rihanna has 13 #1 hits as well. I really hate how people underrate Michael and the stupid decisions the Estate and Sony make. They only care about the money and not about his legacy...

I agree that WDAN would have been #1 hit.

Rihanna is irrelevant. She is a prostitute not musician. Also a lot of her songs were featurings on other people records. If you count J5 and We Are The World MJ has 18 #1 hits.

I strongly disagree about Estate "only care about the money and not about his legacy", They are trying very hard (Xscape, Love Never Felt So Good - single), but it's hard this days to have #1 single in US if you are not 20 year old female who is willing to take her clothes off, and especially if you are dead. But I agree that they have made some stupid decisions in the past (especially releasing fake songs). Also Epic Records made some very stupid decisions when it comes to promotion, but again it's hard to promote dead artist.

Cry wasn't released in America.

I would say it had a lot to do with the allegations and the increasing weird behavior. The Beatles thing is just business and the UK were more annoyed about it than the USA, and he still sold same as always, even better at times over here.

Rihanna is irrelevant. She is a prostitute not musician.

To be honest you sound no different than the people who go on about Michael being a 'w.acko'. Rihanna wearing less clothes doesn't make her someone who has sex for money, just like Michael doing some of the things he does doesn't make him a w.acko (different, sure, but not a w.acko).

Also a lot of her songs were featurings on other people records.
Not really. Out of her 13 #1 hits, only 3 are from from another artists album.

Oh there talkin' about that... I can't understand why it's controversy for ''Jew me, sue me. Everybody do me. Kick me, **** me. Don't you black or white me.'' Damn.... People really can get insulted very easily even if Michael didn't even want to insult the Jewish community...

Because in America,people were/are easily offended by EVERYTHING. After 1993/2003,everyone in America stopped caring about Michael because of his "antics" and he was crucified. That's why he never really had a career revival here after 1993.

Someone Put Your Hand Out? i have 14 sealed Cassette copies that i won at an eBay auction for £48!

Last edited:
Zakk;4052190 said:
Someone Put Your Hand Out? i have 14 sealed Cassette copies that i won at an eBay auction for £48!

Damn, bargain! Are you selling/trading any?

Not really. Out of her 13 #1 hits, only 3 are from from another artists album.

And 3 is not enough? In Live Your Life, Love the Way You Lie & The Monster she sings just the chorus. Same as Somebody's Watching Me (#2 hit) where Michael is not even credited.

Yes. If you are selling your body, then you are a prostitute, not musician.

prostitution
?pr?st??t?u??n,?pr?st??tju??n/
noun

• a woman who engages in sexual intercourse for money; whore; harlot.
Mmm. Pretty sure Rihanna isn't out there having sexual intercourse in return for money. Therefore, by definition, she isn't a prostitute.

If you're arguing that she is a prostitute because she uses her sexual appeal to help make money, then you should probably call Michael one too because of the In The Closet short film. After all, he uses both his and Naomi Campbell's sex appeal to help sell the short film. He doesn't do it as much as Rihanna, but he's still done it to some degree.

At the end of the day though, by proper definition, she isn't a prostitute and to call her one isn't true. If anything, it's slander.

And 3 is not enough? In Live Your Life, Love the Way You Lie & The Monster she sings just the chorus. Same as Somebody's Watching Me (#2 hit) where Michael is not even credited.

So? She still participated in the song. Those 3 songs only make up 23% of her #1 hits - that most certainly is not 'a lot' as you originally described.

Because in America,people were/are easily offended by EVERYTHING. After 1993/2003,everyone in America stopped caring about Michael because of his "antics" and he was crucified. That's why he never really had a career revival here after 1993.
I wouldn't say EVERYONE. I live in England but I truly believe Michael had many, many loving and loyal fans in America and still does. The problem is when the media turned on him and tried to destroy him he never had a fair chance. And the media were totally out to get him. They never made public all of the great charity work he carried out. After all who cares about the lives a man enriched and changed for the better when you can talk about his nose! Sorry to rant and sorry to go off topic.

Yes. If you are selling your body, then you are a prostitute, not musician.

Skin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehcVomMexkY

Well I get your point. But I wouldn't say it the way you did. Mike has/had talent. If it wasn't for his music, it was for his dancing moves, if it wasn't for his dancing then it was for munificence, if it wasn't for his munificence then it was for his short films. That IS talent. That's how you become the King. That's how you stay in the spotlights.

What Onir is trying to say, well that's what I got from him, is that Rihanna uses her body to express her talent. Not only Rihanna but other artists as well. Look at Kanye West I never understood why he is so famous. He is a talentless douche. Look at 2Pac, Elvis and MJ, with MJ being the real King, these artists have talent.

Rihanna and LG have to do with this thread because?

Critics couldn't get over Michael moved on with Q, were too fixated with Thriller and if you realize, Black Or White is the most radio friendly track from Dangerous. Stations don't like deeper, complex subjects for the most part, there are some exceptions of course. Also critics had the nerve to want danceable and harmless songs even after the massive crusade he had to go through to destroy him. Michael was furious, heartbroken, sad after the allegations, I didn't expect him to come up with something like TWYMMF or similar. I totally understand why his thematic and lyrics took that direction. I still can't get over they consider YANA the best song in HIStory, it's the safest track from the album. And don't get me started about TDCAU, what the **** was that? I agree Michael didn't offend the Jewish people whatsoever, the so called "insulted" wanted an excuse to crucify him once more. He didn't even use the pronouns "you" or "them" in his lyrics, for example: " Jew you/Jew them," "**** you/**** them." I used to feel upset my HIStory CD booklet doesn't have the lyrics of the songs, just the credits but on the bright side, TDCAU doesn't have that stupid censorship, I can hear the song as Michael originally recorded it.

I have the impression Europe is more open minded and don't fall, neither buy the media's antics as people do in USA and even in Mexico. People in Europe appreciated the beauty and the profoundness Dangerous and HIStory offered and that's why those albums and singles released were even more successful than Thriller or Bad.

I 'grew up' on the uncensored version on TDCAU so much that when I first heard the censored version (on The Essential Michael Jackson) I actually freaked out a lil bit, thinking my disc was stuffed or something.

Completely idiotic situation in all honesty. I'm conflicted on Michael's reaction to it. On one hand, I really wish he had more of a backbone and told them to f**k off... but on the other, I can see them ignoring him and continuing to blast him as an anti-semitic if he did so.

^The backlash would had continued if he didn't apologize, censor and re record those "controversial" parts. Glad I don't have that version. What a shame both short films are censored. Also, in all honesty, Sony didn't trust his best selling solo artist after Dangerous, Motolla put him many obstacles to promote his albums, plus the media against him.

^The backlash would had continued if he didn't apologize, censor and re record those "controversial" parts. Glad I don't have that version. What a shame both short films are censored. Also, in all honesty, Sony didn't trust his best selling solo artist after Dangerous, Motolla put him many obstacles to promote his albums, plus the media against him.

Wait whut? They didn't trust Michael? Trust in what way? Trust like ''I have no trust that you will sell albums'' or trust like in ''I don't trust you at all''? :bugeyed :angry:

How the hell can't they trust Michael?? Michael showed them with invincible and HIStory. It's a shame that there isn't a #1 hit from Invincible though....

But coming back to TDCAU that explains why that song was a succes in Europe and not in the States. I thought that the Americans had a bad taste of music. But it all makes sense now. Americans are hypocrites. No no, the Jews who felt offended are hypocrites and the media that made an excuse out of this to put Michael in bad daylight and the hypocrite radio stations that refused to play TDCAU. **** them all!!

No, Sony didn't trust in his success after the allegations. HIStory was a great seller yes but most of those numbers come European countries, probably Asia, central and South America. As much as it pains me to say it, USA is one of the biggest markets. And Invincible was considered a "failure" at its time. Of you see the record sales nowadays most of them come from USA.

Back