Future MJ-Film Releases: on DVD or Blu-Ray, or both?

JEMFTV

Proud Member
On which media should Sony/The Estate release future Films of Michael? On DVD or Bluray?

I am on the side of both formats.

They should focus on blu-ray! (better audio and video duh...)
DVD's sucks so bad!

On which media should Sony/The Estate release future Films of Michael? On DVD or Bluray?

I am on the side of both formats.

Blu-Ray, especially considering the archiving process.. they should scan all films at 16k Resolution for the future. But be sure, to create new 35mm prints as well (Like Universal are doing).

More information on what i am referring to:

Last edited:
The fact we do not have even 1 high definition concert released on Blu Ray yet is a travesty, and I was one who was happy with the Wembley release. Blu Ray has been around since about 2006 now and we still don't have a high definition concert release.

I don't see why we have to wait for an anniversary of album for it either, just release it as a treat for fans who only have leaks on the internet to hope for.

Bluray whenever it makes sense.
Maybe you can create a poll so that we can evaluate who's in favour of what ?

The fact we do not have even 1 high definition concert released on Blu Ray yet is a travesty, and I was one who was happy with the Wembley release. Blu Ray has been around since about 2006 now and we still don't have a high definition concert release.

I don't see why we have to wait for an anniversary of album for it either, just release it as a treat for fans who only have leaks on the internet to hope for.

I agree with you, Michael is one of the greatest all round entertainers that will ever live.. we shouldn't be deprived of seeing his works of art in the highest quality.. it's a crime that nothing is available as of now. We can only hope that the best is still to be seen.

it's a crime that nothing is available as of now.

Well no, there isn't 'nothing' available now. While the HD material of Michael is rather limited, we still have some nonetheless. We have Moonwalker (which consists of 4 full short films and snippets of a few) as well as alternative shots/behind the scenes shots of Bad in Bad 25.

Personally, I don't think it's a crime we don't have his material in HD yet. The reason I say that is because I believe the Estate are currently working on restoring his films and I know that it'll take a daunting amount of time as I've explained many times in the past. Having seen some tedious restoration efforts on some of my other favourite films, it's incredible how great some films can look if they take their time. One of my favourite restorations that came out this year was The Beatles A Hard Day's Night. You can see comparisons here between the old DVDs and new Blu-ray if you scroll down a bit. Fans had been demanding that film on Blu-ray for years and years and it took a while, but the results are totally worth the wait. I have it myself and it's just gorgeous.

Restoration of films is an absolutely fascinating topic and one I could talk about for hours. So of course I say The Estate should focus on Blu-ray obviously (but keep the DVD releases coming alongside). If it consists of largely tape-based material (ala Bad 25 Wembley), keep it DVD. It's cheaper and there's not much benefit to having it on Blu-ray (apart from storage and audio perhaps).

Last edited:
Out of place question but what happened to the 2000 watts section?

Last edited:
Blu-Rays should be the focus. But almost always when something gets released on Blu-Ray it gets a DVD release also. :)

This quality is just amazing!:

Any future releases should be on both blu ray and DVD. While blu ray is becoming more and more common, there are still people out there who only own a DVD player

analogue;4055540 said:
Any future releases should be on both blu ray and DVD. While blu ray is becoming more and more common, there are still people out there who only own a DVD player

True, but considering you can buy a Blu-Ray player second hand for £10.. i imagine in around 5 years or so, up to 70% of the Home Movie purchasing population will go with the Higher Definition.

Zakk;4055573 said:
True, but considering you can buy a Blu-Ray player second hand for £10.. i imagine in around 5 years or so, up to 70% of the Home Movie purchasing population will go with the Higher Definition.

Until DVD's are stopped being made all together there will be a good number of people out there who will be happy with their DVD player

Until DVD's are stopped being made all together there will be a good number of people out there who will be happy with their DVD player

Yup and all it will do is kill sales. Maybe in a few years we can revisit this question but for now, definitely keep DVD as an option.

Yup and all it will do is kill sales. Maybe in a few years we can revisit this question but for now, definitely keep DVD as an option.

I just think more work should be put into the second contract tbh, Spike Lee worked on some great film reels for BAD 25.. most of the releases from now on should be kept to that standard (starting with Thriller 3D)

It's obvious there'll be a new deal after December, 2017.

Yeah, I realised what you meant shortly after I posted :p

I agree that the standard should be kept high, but that doesn't mean they have to kill off availability for a large proportion of the audience. Focus on the Blu-ray absolutely, but it isn't hard to create a basic DVD set. That's what movie studios do these days anyway, put all their effort into the Blu-rays and leave the DVDs with just the basic features. DVDs have felt so barebones these past few years.

Yeah, I realised what you meant shortly after I posted :p

I agree that the standard should be kept high, but that doesn't mean they have to kill off availability for a large proportion of the audience. Focus on the Blu-ray absolutely, but it isn't hard to create a basic DVD set. That's what movie studios do these days anyway, put all their effort into the Blu-rays and leave the DVDs with just the basic features. DVDs have felt so barebones these past few years.

Haha ;) and well that is true, but i think there are still some great features on Digital Versatile discs.. for example, House Of Wax.. it also included the full 1933 original version in the bonus features! of course the Blu-Ray did as well, but that's obvious of course. I just think the reason as to why, there are more features on Blu-Ray discs is because there is a lot more surface area.. especially on Dual layers.. that's another reason as to why i think BD should become the standard.

I just think the reason as to why, there are more features on Blu-Ray discs is because there is a lot more surface area.. especially on Dual layers..

Yep that's one reason :) Another reason is that the studios make more profit off of it (and if they convince someone to switch to Blu-ray, that person will rebuy all their favourites on Blu-ray too - extra $$$!).

I agree with that. I only broke down and bought a DVD player when they quit making VHS tapes. I was perfectly happy with my VCR players.
Most technology for me is because I've been "forced" into it.

Both.

Never make a release that not every single fan can enjoy. No fan rich or poor should be denied the magic of MJ.

I hope for many Blu-RAy releases in the future. I would never buy a DVD if it was available on Blu-Ray too. In Denmark new releases cost the same on DVD and Blu-Ray. (very little difference if any!)

MJ in Blu-Ray is MJ with best audio and best picture - so that's always the best!! :)

No fan rich or poor should be denied the magic of MJ.

u9QlmGg.jpg

35mm from July 14th & 23rd in London was exciting, yet was also a huge tease.

Release it on both. There's people who still can't afford Blu-Ray discs or blu-ray players.

Could you please elaborate Zakk? :)

There is footage from two of the Wembley shows, in this compilation! Warren Eagles confirmed that two full July shows were shot on 16 & 35mm! highlighting the fact, that at some points they were filming for fun.. Neither of these shows are July 16th or 15th. Personally i think the shows Warren mentioned and that he worked on were the first & last of the Wembley July shows..

I'd prefer both DVD and Blu-Ray formats.

Back