why did the media pick on Michael so much

red33

Proud Member
why did the media pick on Michael so much ? Other celebrities (even ones that deserve it) didn't get even half of the venom that Michael got from the media. I don't get it. Is it because he's eccentric?Is it because he looks different ? Is it because he's sensitive?
Another thing I don't get is why is Lady Gaga praised for being weird while Michael was mocked for weird.

It all started when he broke records, it was because a black man, that they saw grow up, began to set and break records. He was becoming a super star. The white media didn't like that, he was becoming the poster boy of pop music. He was supposed to be a "Black" artist only. But he was breaking down the barriers of segregation, he was becoming a global phenomenon. The media didn't like that, so they started to mock the things that they didn't really know about. Saying he was gay, claiming he wanted to be white. This all happened because he reached the goal, and broke the barrier that wasn't meant to be broken, supposedly.

Last edited:
He brought it on himself. Plain and simple. His changing appearance, his behavior, using a soft voice to talk all the time, when people close to him have confirmed he has a nice natural voice he should have been using, an amusement park and zoo in his back yard, inviting children over for sleep overs?

Some things, yes the media constantly picked on him for...but most of the things written or reported, were from Michael's own doing.

Lady Gaga and Michael Jackson sadly are alike in the eyes of the media. Nobody praises Lady Gaga's weirdness anymore. In 2008/2009 yes she was praised,but then all the other pop stars began wearing the crazy outfits and doing crazy things. Now the media picks Lady Gaga apart after ARTPOP's slow sales and her hip surgery in March of 2013. Please do not use Lady Gaga as an example for your point,OP.

He brought it on himself. Plain and simple. His changing appearance, his behavior, using a soft voice to talk all the time, when people close to him have confirmed he has a nice natural voice he should have been using, an amusement park and zoo in his back yard, inviting children over for sleep overs?

Some things, yes the media constantly picked on him for...but most of the things written or reported, were from Michael's own doing.

So that excuses the media for the horrible lies they made up about him? Wow, just wow!

This is so interesting. There is a lot of preaching in the media about accepting differences, but when some IS actually different and they cannot put a label on him and he cannot be put in one of their boxes then he gets cruelly bullied by the very same media. Just shows how hypocritical they are. Accepting differences, yeah right... Have a zoo and an amusement park, speak in soft voice, have some plastic surgery and that's a good excuse for some to bully. So much about tolerance and accepting differences...

This should answer your question.

"Is it because he is black?: What they don’t want you to know about Michael Jackson"

by Christopher Hamilton, Thursday, January 5th, 2006

What do you think of when you hear the name, Michael Jackson? *****? Criminal? Great Entertainer? Businessman? Whatever you think of MJ, throw all your thoughts out of the window and let’s examine some facts.

For years the media has labeled him ‘***** *****’. What happened to MJ? Wasn’t he the biggest thing in music at one point? When did he go crazy?

All anyone has to do is look when Michael started being portrayed as ‘Crazy’. It wasn’t during the ‘Thriller’ years. It’s cool being a song and dance man. That’s what they want. Don’t dare become a thinking businessman. Don’t' dare buy the Beatles Catalog. Don’t dare marry Elvis’ daughter. Don’t dare beat the record industry at their own game. Michael started being labeled crazy when he began making business moves that no one had been successful at doing.

Michael took two cultural icons and shattered them to pieces. All our lives, we’ve been bombarded with two facts. The Beatles were the greatest group of all time and Elvis was the King of Rock and Roll. Michael bought the Beatles and married the King’s daughter. (if that ain’t literally sticking it to the man) If I wasn’t a cynic, I’d say Michael did the Lisa Marie thing just to stick it to the people who consider Elvis the King.

The Beatles were great, but they weren’t great enough to maintain publishing rights over their own songs.

Elvis was great, but he didn’t write his songs. His manager, Col Tom Parker, was the mastermind behind Elvis… keeping him drugged with fresh subscription pills and doing all the paperwork.

Michael could do no wrong as an entertainer. ‘Off the Wall’, first solo artist with four top ten singles. ‘Thriller’, the biggest selling album of all time, with a then record seven top ten singles. ‘Bad’, the first album to spawn five number one songs (even ‘Thriller’ only had two number one songs). All this is cool. But that is all you better do. Sing and dance. Michael wanted to be greater. He bought the legendary Sly and the Family Stone catalog and no one really cared. When he bought the Beatles, people noticed. The Sony merger took the cake. Sony, in their eagerness to have a part of the Beatles catalog, agreed to a 50/50 merger with Jackson, thus forming Sony/ATV music publishing. Now, Michael co-owns half of the entire publishing of all of Sony artists. Check out the complete lists of songs at sonyatv.com. A sampling of the songs he owns the publishing rights to are over 900 country songs by artists such as Tammy Wynette, Kenny Rogers, Alabama. All Babyface written songs. Latin songs by Selena and Enrique Iglesias. Roberta Flack songs, Mariah Carey songs, Destiny’s Child’s songs. 2pac, Biggie and Fleetwood Mac songs. In essence over 100,000 songs. “What is this man doing?” None of the greats did this. Not Bono, Springsteen, Sinatra. “Who does he think he is? Get whatever you can on him.”

To ‘get’ someone, you have to attack what they love the most. I’ll say no more on that.

The only man who even approaches MJ in taking on the industry is Prince and to a lesser extent, George Michael. They went after poor George Michael, publicly outing the man as a homosexual. Prince fought hard and made his point, but nevertheless still had to resort to using a major company to distribute his materials. There is nothing wrong with that. Prince would get the lion’s share, but the result were years of being labeled crazy and difficult.

The greatest moment for them was the Sneddon press conference. “We got him.” Never was such glee so evident. Who cares if we have evidence?

Michael was acquitted, did not celebrate, went home and left the USA. Best move ever. Now what is there left for the haters to do? He’s gone. “Gone, what do you mean he moved to Bahrain? Well, how the hell can we get him if he’s not here? Quick, get that columnist to write a series of articles on how MJ’s teetering on the brink of destruction. Oh we did that? Well, what can we do?”

On the outer surface, it appears Michael is not doing anything to make money. Don’t even count the weekly sales of his CDs. 15,000 CDs a week is nothing for Michael. The Sony/ATV catalog is money for Michael Jackson every time he breathes. Serious money. The fact that no one reports on the actual amount is proof of that. They would rather you believe he is broke than tell you the truth. Neverland is still owned by MJ. The family home in Encino is still owned by MJ. Michael still owns the Beatles songs through the merger with Sony as well as full ownership of his own songs. But, hey, that’s our little secret.

Michael Jackson is literally walking in the shoes that no Black person has ever walked in before. If he ever writes an autobiography, it will be one of the most interesting ever. A Black man with no real formal education becomes the most powerful man in the industry, despite hatred, racism, enemies in his own camps and a media willing to be bought to the highest bidder.

If Sony had any sense, right now they should offer to continue the partnership. That’s the only way they will make future money off of Michael’s catalogue. Tommy Mattola did not lose his job with Sony because he was a bad label head. It was a casualty of war. MJ exposed him and Sony had to cut their losses. Companies do it all the time. Notice no one at Sony nor did Matolla himself ever sue MJ for slander. Michael always was loyal to his bosses at Epic/Sony. Back at the 1984 Grammys, he even brought then label head Walter Yetnikoff on stage with him at one point. He’s always thanked Dave Glew, Mattola and others at Sony in his acceptance speeches.

Sony can still do right by Michael, but it may be too late. However, they still should make a goodwill gesture, but how many times do businesses do that? If I were them, I’d still want MJ as an ally, not as an enemy. It is/was a mutally profitable merger.

I’d be scared as hell if I was an enemy of MJ while he is with the multi-billionaires overseas. Believe me, they aren’t just over there discussing designer clothing. A conglomerate is in the making.

One last note, these facts that I write here should not be the only times you hear this, but the sad fact is it probably is. I was worried that Michael would go down because of the uncertainty of the jury. That’s playing unfair. If I’m presenting these facts here at EURweb, you can believe the media knows it already as well. They aren’t salivating over everything MJ related just because he made ‘Thriller’. They know what’s up. Think about it. That’s why I laugh when I see shows like BET’s ‘The Ultimate Hustler’. We all know who that is. (How can Damon Dash know who the ultimate hustler is anyway? He lost Roc-a-fella to Jay-Z)

In the end, Michael won’t be known for being an alleged child molester. He won’t be known for ‘Thriller’. He will be known as the man that fought the record industry and won and lived to tell the tale. That is a book worth buying.

Christopher Hamilton is a freelance entertainment writer.

Also, a part of it is MJ's own doing. MJ was a master in manipulating the media.

Typical blaming the victim mentality

What Michael did in his life did not justify the media's treatment towards him

It all started when he broke records, it was because a black man, that they saw grow up, began to set and break records. He was becoming a super star. The white media didn't like that, he was becoming the poster boy of pop music. He was supposed to be a "Black" artist only. But he was breaking down the barriers of segregation, he was becoming a global phenomenon. The media didn't like that, so they started to mock the things that they didn't really know about. Saying he was gay, claiming he wanted to be white. This all happened because he reached the his goal, and broke the barrier that wasn't meant to be broken, supposedly.

That explains some of the media's viciousness towards him. Reminds me of how blacks were treated during Jim Crow. Blacks were for the most part "tolerated" as long as they stayed in their "place" that white society designated for them,however as soon as they tried to move up from that place, holy hells that's when the fangs came out baby!

I also find it quite sad that mj was demonized for hanging out with children. I mean honestly what is so bad about a man showing love to children.
I remember this article that implied that mj was a pedo just because he wasn't humping every attractive adult female in sight and hung around kids.
The media claimed that mj only liked and invited young boys to Neverland ,while ignoring the fact that mj loved all children.

Last edited:
''I broke Elvis's records, I broke Beatles records. Overnight, they called me a freak, they called me a homosexual, they called me a child molester. They made everything to try and turn the public against me'' - Michael Jackson

Elvis and The Beatles are media darlings, and the media hated that Michael overtook them in popularity. And when Michael bought The Beatles catalog that just added fuel to the fire

2 very simple reasons. 1. He was an easy target and, 2. He played up to them.

When kids who are labeled as "nerds" are being abused in schools by violent bullies because of their different appearance, is it their fault too?

From the beginning it could be that Michael was black, became too rich and famous and people saw the colour of his skin changed but didn´t understand why.

Anyway, if people hadn´t bought the tabloids the media had stopped writing about it.

MIST;4056675 said:
From the beginning it could be that Michael was black, became too rich and famous and people saw the colour of his skin changed but didn´t understand why.

Anyway, if people hadn´t bought the tabloids the media had stopped writing about it.

Yeah that's true. The fact that mj bought the Beatles catalogue pissed off the media . Which caused them to develop a little vendetta against poor mj. The vitiligo thing didn't help at all.It added even more fuel to the fire and lead to the media to brand him a self-hater who bleached his skin to turn the black community against him.

I grew up hearing the rumours that mj hated being black so much he bleached his skin.

There was a guy at my campus that said that it was 100% mj's fault for being falsely accused because he kept hanging around children even after the 1993 allegations.

There is a difference between conjuring up media attention through PERFORMANCE (which is what he tried to do during Bad - I believe with Dileo and the media stunts) to get people talking and keep your name out there. Its another for the media to harass, hound, violate and lie (straight lie!) about a celebrity just because they can - thats what they did to MJ. So this talk about MJ bringing it on himself, to me, is BS. MJ said it constantly, there is a DIFFERENCE between being a performer and working with the media to bring that 'performer image' to the forefront, and attacking a man's livelihood, dignity and character.

Many of the media headlines were absolutely vicious and cruel. [I remember one tabloid headline with MJ's pictures saying "Better off dead" (when he was still alive)"] The "objective" media, the news media, sometimes were even MORE cruel. When MJ got acquitted, I remember theres a video out there of some TV pundit going nutso on air (mind you this is like on CNN or some like legit news network)yelling about how much MJ was a freak, a weirdo, and pretty much deserved to rot behind bars.

ANyone else get acquitted fair and square in a high profile trial, yeah, you'd see people's opposing opinions on it - but no where near the over the top anger that you saw for MJ.

So no, MJ never brought ANY of that on himself just because he lived his life the way he wanted to. Period.

Edit: oh and this idea that it was MJ's fault for getting lied on and maliciously prosecuted because he hung around kids is ridiculous too. So basically don't own a gun because if you do, it'll be your fault of someone lies and said you murdered someone with it. Don't have a lot of pets because it'll be your fault if someone falsely accuses you of abusing them. Don't have a lot of money because it'll be your fault if someone falsely accuses you of swindling. Don't be promiscuous because it'll be your fault if one of your lovers falsely accuses you of rape. I mean honestly.

Last edited:
It's annoying when some fans don't want be "biased" and take advantage to criticize and put the blame on Michael. The asshole media didn't like he was becoming more powerful and influential that their white idols. So it was easy for them coming up with the most disturbing, disgusting and vicious lies no other celeb has endured but he was "the crazy weirdo". Was Michael's fault they shamelessly lie to reduce him into a monstrous caricature? Was it his fault they have such a perverted minds to twist something completely innocent and harmless to to make it deviant sick? Many of us sleep with our pets but we don't get to be accused of bestiality. The "Michael brought it himself" shows how some lack compassion and empathy.

Also, since when is jutifyable being different to be subjected to such a massive scale of bullying and torture? The media has engaged in campaigns to create "awareness" how devastating it can be but Michael is still the poster boy, double standards, much?

The media treated MJ worse than a murderer
Gotta love the media double standards.

Pissing on teenaged girls,beating up women, being a druggie,killing people,braggging about killing people and having sex with underaged groupies is a-ok according the the media , but

mj being eccentric ,looking different,talking about the importance of love, spreading love ,hanging around children and helping others? :OMG burn the man-witch!:angry:

Last edited:
There is a difference between media picking on MJ and MJ "using" the media to his advantage. There were many times he did use the media for his album promotions. What media printed or reported about MJ however was beyond MJ's control. They took everything a bit too far and became increasingly nonsensical. That was media showing their true dirty side.
MJ did create a sort of mysterious persona but that, unfortunately, gave media a chance to write almost ANYTHING about him. The hate and bitterness does not have any excuse whatsoever. It just goes to show how the world can stoop low. IMO, what MJ really did was create a mask (also to protect his own personal space). He really did show the world, the ones who were judgemental assh*les and the ones who were understanding and paid attention to his messages, not trivial things. And we know the media makes up most of the judgemental assh*les.

Talking about double standards, have you noticed how everyone else gets a pass, compassion and understand but not Michael? Why them and not him?

Michael wears make up, to make his skin diseases not looking that bad, "he looks like a woman, he's gay" > Prince wears make up, but he's cool and a play-a' for chasing many women. (in the 80s and 90s at least)

Michael has sleepovers with his nephews, nieces, cousins and other children friends, what a "sick individual", he's "abusing the children" > Oprah has sleepovers with the girls of her school, how wonderful, fun and innocent.

Michael showed his baby son to the fans like Rafiki did with Simba but Blanket started dangling and Michael held him tight, what a irresponsible father, somebody take his children away from him > Steve Irwin dangles his baby boy in front of a chrocodile, receives some criticism but no one threatens to take his children away for irresponsible parenting.

Michael naming his son Prince Michael (after his grandfather Prince Albert), he's ridiculous, pretentious, they mock at him > other celebs naming their children Apple, Blue Ivy, Brooklyn, etc how original they are.

Michael associating himself with children, "he's a p..." and there's no evidence to this day sustaining such disgusting claim > Rolph Harris or Jimmy Savile associating themselves with children, they're beloved characters for our children but those beloved characters were proven to be the pedophiles and/or child molesters.

If I'm forgetting any other, remind me.

Talking about double standards, have you noticed how everyone else gets a pass, compassion and understand but not Michael? Why them and not him?

Michael wears make up, to make his skin diseases not looking that bad, "he looks like a woman, he's gay" > Prince wears make up, but he's cool and a play-a' for chasing many women. (in the 80s and 90s at least)

Michael has sleepovers with his nephews, nieces, cousins and other children friends, what a "sick individual", he's "abusing the children" > Oprah has sleepovers with the girls of her school, how wonderful, fun and innocent.

Michael showed his baby son to the fans like Rafiki did with Simba but Blanket started dangling and Michael held him tight, what a irresponsible father, somebody take his children away from him > Steve Irwin dangles his baby boy in front of a chrocodile, receives some criticism but no one threatens to take his children away for irresponsible parenting.

Michael naming his son Prince Michael (after his grandfather Prince Albert), he's ridiculous, pretentious, they mock at him > other celebs naming their children Apple, Blue Ivy, Brooklyn, etc how original they are.

Michael associating himself with children, "he's a p..." and there's no evidence to this day sustaining such disgusting claim > Rolph Harris or Jimmy Savile associating themselves with children, they're beloved characters for our children but those beloved characters were proven to be the pedophiles and/or child molesters.

There's also Roman Polanski. Someone who is a proven pedophile, and yet the media still praise him

Paul McCartney buys other artists' catalogues = he's a clever businessman. Michael Jackson buys the Beatles catalogue = he has no respect for other artists and has no right to exploit their work.

Half of Hollywood has plastic surgery = that's just part of showbizz. Michael Jackson has plastic surgery = he hates his race.

Quincy Jones and Lionel Richie have light-skinned children = well, they take after their mother. Michael Jackson has light-skinned children = there's no way they're his.

Any other person crying on TV about their physical insecurities and skin disorder = compassion and support. Michael Jackson crying on TV about his physical insecurities and skin disorder (Oprah interview) = mocking and suggesting he's lying.

Angelina Jolie says she loves kids = what a great role model. Michael Jackson says he loves kids = must be a pedophile.

Beyonce's B'Day sells 8 million copies = major commercial success. Michael Jackson's Invincible sells 13 million copies = flop.

Elvis = "King of Rock & Roll". James Brown = "Godfather of Soul". Michael Jackson, the best-selling pop artist of all time, = self-proclaimed "King op Pop".

I could go on and on.

^Actually, if John Branca didn't lie, Michael came up with the title but he had a huge point. In the Immortal documentary for HBO John was recanting (sorry if it isn't the exact quote) what Michael was telling. "Frank Sinatra is 'The Leader', Bruce Springsteen is 'The Boss' and Elvis Presley is 'The King' but what am I? 'The Gloved One'? That's not right Branca, from now on tell MTV they are going to direct to me as 'The King of Pop, Rock and Soul.'" But like I said, he had a huge point, he was kicking everyone's ass in the industry and Thriller already was the biggest selling album ever.

But you're right on the other points you listed. Paul McCartney wasn't treated like an heretic for buying Buddy Holley's publishing rights and others but when Michael bought the Beatles' catalog, that's blasphemy and sacrilege.

Other thing I didn't mention previously, Michael was chastised for protecting fiercely his children but many celebs, not saying all of them use their children to promote their stuff, having more publicity, they basically whore them around. I haven't known about anyone in the media chastising the Jacksons for doing what I mentioned with Prince, Paris and Blanket.

Who else in Hollywood was ever asked on national TV if he has sex with his wife?

Did anybody ask Paul and Linda? Justin and Jessica? Beyoncé and Jay Z? NO.

^Actually, if John Branca didn't lie, Michael came up with the title but he had a huge point. In the Immortal documentary for HBO John was recanting (sorry if it isn't the exact quote) what Michael was telling. "Frank Sinatra is 'The Leader', Bruce Springsteen is 'The Boss' and Elvis Presley is 'The King' but what am I? 'The Gloved One'? That's not right Branca, from now on tell MTV they are going to direct to me as 'The King of Pop, Rock and Soul.'" But like I said, he had a huge point, he was kicking everyone's ass in the industry and Thriller already was the biggest selling album ever.

But you're right on the other points you listed. Paul McCartney wasn't treated like an heretic for buying Buddy Holley's publishing rights and others but when Michael bought the Beatles' catalog, that's blasphemy and sacrilege.

Other thing I didn't mention previously, Michael was chastised for protecting fiercely his children but many celebs, not saying all of them use their children to promote their stuff, having more publicity, they basically whore them around. I haven't known about anyone in the media chastising the Jacksons for doing what I mentioned with Prince, Paris and Blanket.

But that's not the point. I'm sure the others had a little help from their PR people as well. The only reason the media add "self-proclaimed" with Michael is to undermine him, even though he clearly is the most successful pop artist of all time. They also try to bestow this title on any flavour of the month (Justin Timberlake, Usher, Chris Brown, Justin Bieber) but the public won't buy it.

It is also hypocritical how the media and public chastise Michael for his drug use when he had legitimate medical issues, while so many other artists overdosed on recreational drugs but their deaths are simply considered "tragic".

Last edited:
But if you notice my post, I didn't say it belittling him as the media does, I was clearly having his back. But yeah, as long as I live I'll be wondering why all of them and not Michael. :sigh:

To add, unlike Elvis, Madonna or anyone else who's frivolously given a royal title nowadays, Michael was crowned in real life King of Sani in Ivory Coast. :bow: :king2:

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I'll tell you why. Michael Jackson became the biggest artist in history. Broke every record, exceed every expectation.

"He will not swiftly be forgiven for having turned so many tables, for he damn sure grabbed the brass ring, and the man who broke the bank at Monte Carlo has nothing on Michael. All that noise is about America, as the dishonest custodian of black life and wealth; the blacks, especially males, in America; and the burning, buried American guilt; and sex and sexual roles and sexual panic; money, success and despair..."
- James Baldwin in 1985

Michael Jackson simply became too powerful, a single artist, became more powerful than the business itself. A single African American artist at that. He changed everything.

And that's why.

because Michael was so special!! you would never get bored with Michael...

Simply because Michael was the biggest and best. And unfortunately, as the saying goes "the tall poppy always gets cut"

I find it weird that people constantly call Michael gay just because he didn't go through women like used tissues (even during the thriller era).

Has it ever occurred to these people Michael was a gentleman who wanted a woman who loved him for him, not a gold-digger, or a groupie who only want him for his body.

Last edited:
Back