Quality wise,what do you think was better for a posthumous MJ Release: Michael or Xscape?

Dunk96

The Queen HBIC
So in line with the thread title,which album do you think was the better posthumous MJ album,Michael or Xscape?
Personally I think Michael was better (disregarding the three questionable songs which we all know of) because it seemed that the production value was on point and it made it feel like Michael himself would've definitely approved of the music from that album over the music from Xscape,since nobody who was involved in the original creation of those tracks were involved in Xscape's production whatsoever. I think only 4/8 of Xscape's songs are good (the remastered ones) and the rest suck. But that's my cup of tea and that's my preference.
Otherwise,what is your opinion?

I would say production wise Xscape is by far superior.

Michael has 6 great songs. HMH, HT, BTM, AD, BOJ and MTS. - Much Too Soon is my favorite. HT and BOJ shares the second spot!

Xscape has 8 truely great songs IMO. - I did not like DYKWYCA at first - and BG seemed weird and cinematic at first - but only because I had heard leaked versions. If I had never heard leaked versions I would be over the moon with exitement. - Still am actually.

Loving You is my favorite from the album, it's perfect. Sweet, simple, pure - MAGIC!

Chicago - never heard this before - truely a great MJ song.

LNFSG - I had heard the demo and was sceptical - but WOW... - Amazing song - the duet is the best production wise.

STTR - third best song after LY and Chicago.

Xscape, BG and APWNN - 3 great songs. - I like the new versions just as much as the original versions - maybe even more!!!

and DYKWYCA - maybe the only song where I really prefer the original. - But still the new version is still good.

And Xscape had demos and a DVD with videos. (even though the DVD was absolutely crap IMO...)

Bus seen as a release Xscape wins. - Just the fact that there was no debate about vocals makes it a better release. "When in doubt - keep it OUT !!"

Xscape without a question. I haven't had Michael in my iTunes for a year or two and I haven't missed it tbh.

Xscape without a question. I haven't had Michael in my iTunes for a year or two and I haven't missed it tbh.

You are missing out on some great songs. - Much Too Soon, Best of Joy and Hollywood Tonight - just to mention a few. :)

You are missing out on some great songs. - Much Too Soon, Best of Joy and Hollywood Tonight - just to mention a few. :)

I have a few demos of Hollywood Tonight still on my iTunes. I like the Michael version too, but the demos keep me satisfied enough to not miss it :)

I just have Best Of Joy and Much Too Soon on my iPod. When i heard the Hollywood Tonight demo, I couldn't believe how Riley butchered it, Michael's vocals are beautiful on Hold My Hand but I can't stand Akon. They did a better job with Xscape, Michael seemed rushed and it looked like they had no idea what the hell were doing.

I was just as excited and happy withete release of "Michael" as i am now with the "Xscape" album.
-Hold my hand
-Behind the mask
-Hollywood tonight

-Chicago
-Loving you
-APWNN
- LNFSG (this song made me happy and very proud to be a MJ fan)

I never likes both covers of both albums
But recently i learned more about them and the whole story behind the pictures
I do like them now ;)

I feel I'm the only one here who actually likes the cover of Michael! ...well at least the full painting of it anyway. I just love the retrospective of Michael's career. There's a few flaws (a few of the children's faces are off) but overall I think it's pretty cool :p

I love Xscape's cover too :)

I feel I'm the only one here who actually likes the cover of Michael! ...well at least the full painting of it anyway. I just love the retrospective of Michael's career. There's a few flaws (a few of the children's faces are off) but overall I think it's pretty cool :p

I love Xscape's cover too :)
I love both covers actually!

I'm gonna say Xscape as a whole unit. With "Michael" I feel like it's few unreleased songs thrown randomly in one album. Not like "Xscape" has too much of a narrative, but at least it feels like an album and someone gave a thought to its content as a whole. "Michael" have beautiful songs with great quality too... I love BOJ, HT and HMH the most.

Xscape. Far better quality. I do love Best of Joy, Much Too Soon, Another Day, Behind the Mask, Hollywood Tonight...not necessarily in that order, though.

I'm glad somebody else said that. I thought I was the only one. The ONLY thing I like about the Michael cover is that it is reminiscent of the Dangerous album. I like the background, but do NOT like the portrait of Michael in the middle. Do not like Xscape cover at all. But, they can't all be great.

I like the Michael album cover very much (a lot more than the Xscape actually!)

It has some of the Dangerous cover mystery - and it shows a lot, not only from his carriere both from all his life...

I hope the next all-new album will have a Dangerous inspired cover too. - but maybe with a more recent picture of MJ than the one used on Michael. (or maybe an album with only his eyes like Dangerous)

Imagine having such famous eyes that all you need on the cover is your eye - and yet everyone knows it's a MJ album. - Incredible really... :)

The only thing I didn't like was the portrait of Michael. Really like the rest of it.
Like your idea. One big eye like in the History teaser. Love that.

'Michael' had the better finalized versions on it (naturally not counting the infamous 3) while 'Xscape' did have the demos attached.

That makes it 1-1.

If I had to put 'Michael' and 'Xscape Standard Edition' against each other 'Michael' would still have won. Tight but certainly.

Xscape despite the fact they raped MJ's creation with new contemporized (*****cough**** REMIXED) versions of the songs. The Michael album would have been good had Sony not used the Cascio tracks. The backlash after Breaking News came online should have been enough for them to pull the plug on all 3 tracks....and the fact they also included The Way You Love Me, which already was released on The Ultimate Collection, made the album suffer. They could have added 4 legit MJ tracks in those places, and should have added more tracks. 10 tracks was way to little. Should have been at least 12 or 14. Same said for Xscape. 8 was way way too little.

I liked Michael's cover (but it isn't that original due to the Dangerous influence) a little more than Xscape's. The lettering makes Michael have Martian antennas with a dog cone and I couldn't get over the photoshopped lips. Mr. Brainwash' artwork even if it's street-like, it makes Michael looking humane, it'd have been a perfect album cover.

28lapdx.jpg

Last edited:
I liked Michael's cover (but it isn't that original due to the Dangerous influence) a little more than Xscape's. The lettering makes Michael have Martian antennas with a dog cone and I couldn't get over the photoshopped lips. Mr. Brainwash' artwork even if it's street-like, it makes Michael looking humane, it'd have been a perfect album cover.

28lapdx.jpg

I agree - THIS would have been an AMAZING cover !!! - Better than the Xscape cover we got - IMO...

10 tracks was way to little. Should have been at least 12 or 14. Same said for Xscape. 8 was way way too little.

For the release of an artist who is alive? I absolutely agree, 8 tracks is too little for them unless it's an EP (personally I find the 'perfect' track list length tends to be 10-14 songs). The thing is, we're not sure how many properly releasable tracks there are left in the vault though so we can't just have releases with like, 14-15 unheard tracks on them. That's a serious amount for, like, every dead artist.

I'm sure the Estate have quite a lot of unreleased tracks, but the degree of completion would vary. Albums like Xscape have to be filled with tracks that could be considered finished or at least near finished as those are albums for the 'general public'. No doubt there's a number of songs like People of the World where Michael barely even sings that might just be suitable for a fan-orientated release ala The Beatles Anthology, but a release for the general public like Michael and Xscape? No way.

I'm happy to get 8-10 songs. It means we still get a solid amount of new content and it helps spread it over time (plus the producers have less to work on, meaning they can spend more time on each track. That can't be a bad thing!).

Production wise i would say 'Michael'! only the 7 real song's of course, and BTM could have done without the live noise from Bucharest! only other annoying thing is the ''She's only fifteen'' line being cut out of Hollywood, the name change.. and the fact Teddy made it an upbeat song, when the story is actually pretty dark. The new remix of the title track on the 'XSCAPE' album is brilliant, but i can live without the new productions of the other song's.

Ever heard of Abortion Papers? :p

Why compare two completely different song's though? Song Groove was intended to be upbeat, Michael vocalizing aggressively.. his anger against the injustice of an abortion.

Back