'Who Is It' Live - The Imaginings

Tony R

Proud Member
At a guess, I'd say 'Who Is It?' is probably Michael Jackson's best loved song throughout the fan community. Ironic really as it's probably one of his least known songs amongst the general public.

Previously I've written this about it: 'Who Is It' begins with a haunting choral piece before breaking into a baseline to blow your mind. This was to be recreated in the infamous Oprah Winfrey interview where Michael blew our minds again with a beat boxing accapella intro that summed up genius in 30 seconds. If 'Who Is It' was to be categorised into a genre, I suppose it's a soul epic, the last 2 minutes of which are pure pleasure as Michael adlibs his way over a repeated chorus with a voice that encapsulates heartbreak and unrequited love. Because of Michael's success in terms of sales and innovation in terms of dance, his songwriting genius can get missed, But 'Who Is It' is a perfect example of why it shouldn't be and why his production skills shouldn't be overlooked either as he single handedly produced this. In my view the best song on the Dangerous album, if not his best ever.

If I had one wish, it would be to see this song performed live and I think many if not most would agree with that. So whenever I hear it, I imagine how it would look or sound. I distinctly remember when MTV10 was on and my heart jumping into my mouth when WYBT began and I thought it was the beginning of Who Is It!

So how do you see it playing out?

I picture this....

The stage is fully dark, when the choral piece begins. Maybe soft blue lights begin. Then when THAT bassline kicks in, Michael is in the middle of the stage with a microphone stand, arms out beatboxing along. He's wearing one of his more simple stage outfits, black trousers, T-shirt with black shirt undone (maybe after this he's singing 'Give In To Me'?!

The performance is all in the emotion for the first 4 minutes, it's a bit like Man In The Mirror live. He has his arms outstretched finger clicking to the beat. For the chorus he maybe removes the mike from the stand and comes out more and does the odd spin and 'flamingo' move.

Then for the crescendo final quarter of the song, it goes crazy! Firstly I imagine that the 'demo' version of the song is used so we have an extra minute of chorus & ad-libs. And again I guess this is where it's similar to MITM. The backing singers are all over the chorus and MJ is going wild on the ad-libs. When there is the breakdown after 'I can't take it cos I'm lonely' he does of his trademark mega-spins and crashes to the floor. He stays there to continue, emotion wretched in his face, the ad-libs continue, not just the ones from the track, but new ones.

He finally makes it back to his feet for the final, 'I can't take it cos I'm lonely'. And he disappearers from stage as the lights fade to the original blue, much like at the end of Stranger in Moscow or Human Nature live.

That's how I mainly see it (maybe I have too much time on my hands!). I also imagine just a fully Unplugged version where he's sat down for it all, and have also considered a dance routine version that has echoes of Will You Be There?

That's just my thoughts? How's about we stop back-biting in other threads and celebrate the music in this one instead :)

Sorry for the short reply here, but 'Give Into Me' is the only song from Dangerous that i wanted to see performed live (apart from the other song's that were performed regularly of course)

Yeah, it was such a crime that he never performed this live, alongside Morphine - the other song I would've died happy to see him perform.

I remember when his official website ran a poll of songs fans wanted to see live on TII. I don't believe they ever posted the results, but I bet Who Is It was on it.

When he falls, instead of him continuing the ad libs, the orchestra kicks in again, then he starts building Who Is It up again, then ends it.

How I imagine this song being live is actually very simple.

Michael standing in the center of the stage with the mic on the stand and performing the song. Taking the mic maybe on the 2nd verse and walking back and forth.

If we're talking This Is It shows, the backdrop would be like the view of a city buildings (like in the video, him looking out the office window).

Keep him in a suit. Hell, he could do it before or after "Dangerous".

Michael standing in the center of the stage with the mic on the stand and performing the song. Taking the mic maybe on the 2nd verse and walking back and forth.

If we're talking This Is It shows, the backdrop would be like the view of a city buildings (like in the video, him looking out the office window).

Black on black suit, with a leather looking shirt.

Backdrop: City

Clothing: Red shoes, White v-neck, black leather jacket, single white glove, white fedora

He starts singing in a spotlight. The lights block off the band and backup singers. When the chorus starts, he takes the mic off the stand and walks to one side and points. On the backdrop, shadows start walking.

The song itself is a mixture of the album version and the demo.

Wasn't Who Is It planned to be part of a segment with Dirty Diana for TII? Or was it GITM. I'm blanking on this. I know I would have lost my shit if I'd heard it at TII. (Knowing that Threatened was even slightly included blew my mind, too!)

But anywho, if I imagine it live, I see parts of it being re-enacted from the film. A female dancer who constantly changes personas, handlers around her. She and Michael only interact onstage during his spoken bridge. Very simple setup, but the choreography would be like the bits in SC when he knocks the guy out and flips them over when they're betting, etc. And Michael would be wearing a suit, like when he's crying in the video.

IDK. I so wish he could have performed it. I know I definitely voted for it after I got my TII tickets :)

I love this idea of the city backdrop and just him alone on the stage. No women. Add a bar stool so he can sit on it between pacing back and forth at the window.
And have him in that fine suit he wore in the vid. It fit to perfection. A few curly tendrils.
Nothing like a man suffering like that to convey pure masculinity to me.

Three songs on Dangerous that should have been sung live: Give In To Me, Who Is It and Will You Be There.

Give in to me is his best rock song. Such a shame a that it doesn't receive as much credits as it should get. Love it. Should have been definetely on the Dangerous tour. With live vocals!!!

We don't have to discuss much about this song. His best song together with Will You Be There. A shame that it is underrated by the public. I feel pity fot them. They have no idea what they are missing musically. I can't stop thinking about how he would have sung the song live. I'm sure he would have done something great with WII on the tour.

Will You Be There is my all time favorite. I wish he performed this song live during the Dangerous tour. He killed it with his rehearsals.

If he'd done WYBT with Keep the Faith, my heart would have exploded.

It's so hard to think about things like this sometimes...on one hand, it truly would have been awesome to see. On the other, it's still so heartbreaking we'll never get to :(

There were many songs I'd wanted to see performed live from Dangerous. Give In To Me, Keep the Faith, Can't Let Her Get Away, etc, but most importantly Remember the Time and Who Is It. Who Is It was my favorite song of his for a long time, and still definitely is in my top 5.

Back