Why HIStory?

Dan

Proud Member
Why HIStory?

For years I have written the song 'HIStory' with a capital and I can, an italic 'HIS', but I never wondered why, until now. Why the emphasis on 'HIS'? I guess the logical thing to assume is that it means 'His story' but on the HIStory album, HIStory World Tour and even the song 'HIStory' there is nothing related to 'His Story', his life story. Does anyone know the meaning of HIStory?

From just reading this forum it seems it's considered an autobiographical album. The songs all relate to something in Michael's life or persona.

I guess he could have called it MYstory, but he almost got there with 'Mystery'

Originally the album was going to be called EVANstory, it was blocked by that b******'s lawyers, who wouldn't allow it so he called it HIStory, which was directed at him.

I'm pretty sure HIStory was out before EC came up with that idea. Michael's album was coming out with the DS interview when she questioned him about the teaser, the lyrics of TDCAU, the settlement.
Due to the interview EC tried to sue for 60 mil and make his own album.

I think the album's choice of title was a brilliant idea. I recall thinking how genius the idea was. History means the "past" and the telling of the "past". The album originally, from what I have read, was going to be a "best of"( I believe his first as a solo artist) but then it evolved into another full fledged "new studio album". So you have a collection of the history of his greatest hits to that point, plus his own introspective view of his recent troubled past (allegations) through his new music. All that compilation was his HIStory in music.

I think the entire concept and marketing was brilliant. I just loved the statue idea- how fitting for a "history" concept album.

I think the entire concept and marketing was brilliant. I just loved the statue idea- how fitting for a "history" concept album.

I also loved the promotion. - Only I would have loved it if they had released two versions back then. 1 version exactly as the one we have - and one cheaper 1 cd version with only the new album (disc 2) - I think sales could have been even better if it had not been an expensive double album. - And also some fans (me included!) would have bought both versions = even better sales! :)

I think it is HIS Story too.

After the allegations - this is his version.

Scream - tired of injustice
SIM - the loneliness - abandoned in my fame
D.S. - A yell at Tom Sneddon
TDCAU - the injustice he felt - I'm tired of bein' the victim of shame - They're throwing me in a class with a bad name
Earth Song - how much he cared about the planet and his feelingss about it
Money - very much a scream from his own life. - What people would do to him just for money...
Childhood - the most auto-biographic song he ever made
Tabloid Junkie - a scream out not only to the tabloids, but also to the readers - and viewers of TV. - Don't believe everything the media says! - very much about his own situation too.
HIStory - don't let noone get you down, keep moving on higher grond - keep flying until, you are the king of the hill. - Everyday create your history.
Smile - MJ's elegant way to show that even though he went trough hell he is still able to smile. (like 2 Bad - "standing though you're kicking me")

So yes - it is about MJ IMO. - His history and how he felt it.

Originally the album was going to be called EVANstory, it was blocked by that b******'s lawyers, who wouldn't allow it so he called it HIStory, which was directed at him.

Wasn't that the name of an album the Chandlers were working on or something...?

Assuming what you say is correct though (I don't think it is), I'm glad it didn't end up like that. They of all people do not deserve the honour of having a Michael Jackson album named after them. HIStory is by faaaaaaar the more superior name!

I think it is HIS Story too.

After the allegations - this is his version.

Scream - tired of injustice
SIM - the loneliness - abandoned in my fame
D.S. - A yell at Tom Sneddon
TDCAU - the injustice he felt - I'm tired of bein' the victim of shame - They're throwing me in a class with a bad name
Earth Song - how much he cared about the planet and his feelingss about it
Money - very much a scream from his own life. - What people would do to him just for money...
Childhood - the most auto-biographic song he ever made
Tabloid Junkie - a scream out not only to the tabloids, but also to the readers - and viewers of TV. - Don't believe everything the media says! - very much about his own situation too.
HIStory - don't let noone get you down, keep moving on higher grond - keep flying until, you are the king of the hill. - Everyday create your history.
Smile - MJ's elegant way to show that even though he went trough hell he is still able to smile. (like 2 Bad - "standing though you're kicking me")

So yes - it is about MJ IMO. - His history and how he felt it.

Amen! You forgot a little anecdote about This Time Around, that time around he wasn't taking no sh*t and was retaliating back!

I also think that it was meant as HIS Story. The album also comes with the addition: Past, Present and Future...

Some guy came up with that name, in the last minute allegedly. Michael cretited him in the liner notes in the HIStory-Booklet for his "HIStorical Involvement". But i don't know if this is true..

I thought the title was very smart,HIStory as in His Story as one CD mainly covers his troubles with the Chandlers and Tom Sneddon or should I say Dom Sheldon?....just brilliant!the lyrics on that album are so powerful,after I had explained to some of my mates the meaning of such songs as D.S. they had a new respected outlook on M.J. and the whole album....some later went to the concerts with me in London and Dublin.

And the other CD is of course a greatest hits disc so that is History....

I agree with Silverston. ITS HIS STORY ... so Michaels Story about his life from the very beginnin to the present and future.

Here's my thinking;
HIS Story was something I always thought of first when i see HIStory, If you look starting with the first disk, the songs span his solo career up to that point (OTW-Dangerous)Then the second disk I think reflected how he felt about the allegations, to express his anger, and the songs like Earth Song, and TDCAU were what he stood for. wanting to make the world a better place, Then a song like SIM talking about how lonley he felt sometimes thus making them autobiographical. Just an observation.

If the Dangerous World Tour had continued with the USA concerts, so it means it would have finished in 1994 (I think) and the allegations never came out, the HIStory album would never been released with those songs so autobiographical... Which songs would have been inserted there?

If the Dangerous World Tour had continued with the USA concerts, so it means it would have finished in 1994 (I think) and the allegations never came out, the HIStory album would never been released with those songs so autobiographical... Which songs would have been inserted there?
Probably songs he would write for the soundtracks of the movie career he should have had.

Earth Song, TDCAU, Come Together, little Susie and the entire BOTDF album (minus morphine) was written and recorded before HIStory. i personally think he still would have written Stranger in Moscow when the tour got to Moscow. I also believe that Michael would have written Childhood at some point in his career had the 93 ordeal never happened. Actually I believe MJ wrote childhood way earlier, before the HIStory era.

It's kind of bittersweet when you think about it, we as fans wish that those false accusations never happened because,in a major way, they bereaved MJ of his life causing him enormous pain and stress, but because of that ordeal we got some of MJ's finest work as an artist. Talk about paying "The Price Of Fame"

HIStory is the coolest way anyone has ever or will ever come back from scandal in my opinion. How you gonna tear a down a giant statue of this man you all want to break?! Amazing statement behind the whole experience of the album.

Back