What will the Estate release this year?

mjj19582009

Proud Member
Any ideas or speculations on what they will release this year if anything?

A documentary on Off the Wall (could be cool) and a 3D version of Thriller (absolutely useless) is expected.

A documentary on Off the Wall (could be cool) and a 3D version of Thriller (absolutely useless) is expected.

Will the 3D Thriller be in cinemas? Do you expect it to be? I understand why you'd think it's useless if its a dvd with the terrible home glasses. I'd prefer more unreleased music but i'd be sort of excited seeing thriller in the same quality as the moonwalker blu-ray

Will the 3D Thriller be in cinemas? Do you expect it to be? I understand why you'd think it's useless if its a dvd with the terrible home glasses. I'd prefer more unreleased music but i'd be sort of excited seeing thriller in the same quality as the moonwalker blu-ray

Off hand I believe seeing an article where John Landis was aiming for a theatrical release, though I could be wrong. I just can't see the point of it. Perhaps before a horror movie or something of the sort, but I doubt the general public would shell out $7 to $9 for a fifteen minute short film that could be readily seen on YouTube or MTV on Halloween.

Now, if this was a Blu-Ray release of Michael's music videos? Sign me up!

And I'm with you on the new music. I don't blame them for wanting a year off though.

Not to mention probably 95% of the globe has already seen Thriller, and probably wouldn't go to the cinema just to watch it.

If you have seen the 35mm snippet in the opening Montage of Moonwalker, you'll understand why i & so many other's are excited about seeing another short film in HD! especially the most HIStoric & celebrated :) i won't bother with the 3D at all.. unless if maybe they shot a few scenes in 3D, that would be great.. but i don't think their budget was as big as it was for EO? regardless, i'm hoping their will be a deluxe that will accompany the OTW documentary! perhaps the 5 'Off The Wall' song's performed on the Triumph Tour, along with the 3 short films? i don't know though, i'm just hoping it will be worth buying

I'm definitely on board with seeing Thriller in HD, but I won't drive twenty-five minutes to my nearest theater and pay upwards of $7 to see it in a format it was never shot in. I'll hold out for a Blu-Ray release of the music videos...if one ever comes to fruition that is.

Call me the negative user of the board, but I really don't care whatsoever about any of the projects planned. There's a slim-to-none chance the Off the Wall documentary will include the most important person to the project (Quincy Jones), and Thriller 3D is absolutely useless. The Estate should definitely take this year off and start working towards whatever 2016 holds.

I'm definitely on board with seeing Thriller in HD, but I won't drive twenty-five minutes to my nearest theater and pay upwards of $7 to see it in a format it was never shot in. I'll hold out for a Blu-Ray release of the music videos...if one ever comes to fruition that is.

Call me the negative user of the board, but I really don't care whatsoever about any of the projects planned. There's a slim-to-none chance the Off the Wall documentary will include the most important person to the project (Quincy Jones), and Thriller 3D is absolutely useless. The Estate should definitely take this year off and start working towards whatever 2016 holds.

Well said. If those projects are planned for release this year it's not something I crave for.

On the other hand, it's about time to release all his short films as they were shot! Give us a bluray with all his short films and making of segments!

I'm definitely on board with seeing Thriller in HD, but I won't drive twenty-five minutes to my nearest theater and pay upwards of $7 to see it in a format it was never shot in.

If Thriller 3D is done and released at cinemas it wouldn't not be stand alone release IMO. It's too short for a stand alone release.Perhaps only if it's paired with Ghosts. But a better strategy would be if it would be paired up with a major motion picture and will air as a special feature short before the movie.

For example Pixar regularly does that. Their main films are paired up with a short film for theatrical releases such as WALL-E was paired with Presto. Toy Story was paired with a Roger Rabbit short and so on.

Last edited:
When Thriller was premiered back in the day on cinemas, Fantasia was screened afterwards. If it's true the Estate wants to make a theatrical resease in 3D, I don't why they wouldn't do the same strategy (probably an unreleased film this time.) Is it confirmed?

The responses here are quite surprising to me, I personally would love to see the transfer of source Thriller into HD and then 3D.

They have a lot to play with, with it being a 3D release; I'm speculating, of course, but it's entirely possible for them to superimpose 3D objects into the scenes. As long as it's done subtly, that would be awesome! They don't even have to be new objects, they could just be stuff in the original scene.

I agree with the general consensus, and have been saying it for ages, BLURAY is what 'Vision' should have been. There isn't enough quality-focus as I'd like there to be from the estate. You don't have to throw 2-3 things at us, just 1 very well-done 'shiny' project like an ultimate blu ray collection would suffice!

In fact, that should have happened a long time ago and the YouTube versions updated with HD counterparts and high-fidelity audio. The way MJ recorded was with fidelity in mind, that sadly hasn't reflected the efforts of any online efforts so far. Because MJ's material could have awed further if it was presented correctly.

MJ was a cutting-edge entertainer (just look at the tech used in This Is It). It should have been HD a long time ago and now transitioned to 3D!

Smooth Criminal looks mind-blowing in 3D btw! :bugeyed

How on earth do you know?? - Smooth Criminal has to my knowledge never been released in 3D.... ??

He probably just upscaled the Blu-Ray to 3D! haha

Release it as the making of documentary with additional behind the scenes footage, pretty simple.

Mmm perhaps. I wonder how commercially viable it would be though, realistically...

I hope 2015 will be the year MJ videos will be released on Blu-Ray...

We need these historic videos in best quality possible !! :)

The OTW documentary sounds cool too. - So I hope for a OTW anniversary release like BAD25. - Wonder which concert we will get. - Hope for perfect quality this time. :)

That's still under an hour though.

yes but better than a stand alone release of 13 minutes

Release it as the making of documentary with additional behind the scenes footage, pretty simple.

only if it's a DVD/Bluray release and not a theater release.

Mmm perhaps. I wonder how commercially viable it would be though, realistically...

I agree with that. As Always said I don't see millions going to a movie theater to see Thriller or Thriller+ Ghosts or Thriller+documentary. Those are better for DVD/Bluray release. If they aim to release a 3D Thriller at movie theaters, the way to do it is to pair it with a major motion picture IMO.

I hope 2015 will be the year MJ videos will be released on Blu-Ray...

We need these historic videos in best quality possible !! :)

The OTW documentary sounds cool too. - So I hope for a OTW anniversary release like BAD25. - Wonder which concert we will get. - Hope for perfect quality this time. :)

As do i, wouldn't it be brilliant? although doubtful, i hope we get some behind the scenes for each short film also :) and to the Off The Wall Documentary, as it's being made now.. it's possible they could include it with the deluxe edition, if a reissue is planned for this year! and very much so, i'd love to see a Triumph or Destiny Tour on Blu-Ray! they are the best Jackson's Tours and different enough from the 1987 BAD Tour (Victory Tour is the 1987 BAD tour minus 'BAD' & 'IJCSLY' so that wouldn't have much of a market compared to Michael's solo effort) :)

As do i, wouldn't it be brilliant? although doubtful, i hope we get some behind the scenes for each short film also :) and to the Off The Wall Documentary, as it's being made now.. it's possible they could include it with the deluxe edition, if a reissue is planned for this year! and very much so, i'd love to see a Triumph or Destiny Tour on Blu-Ray! they are the best Jackson's Tours and different enough from the 1987 BAD Tour (Victory Tour is the 1987 BAD tour minus 'BAD' & 'IJCSLY' so that wouldn't have much of a market compared to Michael's solo effort) :)

Off The Wall 36 though? They can't call it 35. Yeah, Thriller 25 came out under 2 and a half months after the 25th anniversary in Feb 2008, but you could still claim it was released the year of the 25th anniversary of the short film,

Off the Wall's 35th anniversary was way back in August (almost half a year ago!!). By the time they actually get a documentary prepared, shot and edited to go with the reissue, it'll likely be near the end of 2015 anyway. Way beyond the '35th anniversary'. 36 isn't exactly a number to celebrate (and even then, 35 is an odd number considering every other anniversary release so far is 25).

I don't think we're getting a reissue, named after the anniversary anyway. Personally, it'd piss me off for consistency reasons. On my shelf it'd be organised like...
Michael (2010)
Bad 25 (2012)
XSCAPE (2014)
Off the Wall 36 (2015)
Dangerous 25 (2016) (not announced, obviously, but a given).

Off the Wall is suddenly thrown in the mix, not only out-of-order but with a completely different number. Really hoping they don't do that.

Would be cool to see a tour or something though. Haven't really seen anything from the Jackson tours (I've never been one to care about the concerts enough to hunt down and watch different ones. Official releases and the TV broadcast of the HIStory show from my city are good enough for me :p).

Off The Wall 36 though? They can't call it 35. Yeah, Thriller 25 came out under 2 and a half months after the 25th anniversary in Feb 2008, but you could still claim it was released the year of the 25th anniversary of the short film,

Off the Wall's 35th anniversary was way back in August (almost half a year ago!!). By the time they actually get a documentary prepared, shot and edited to go with the reissue, it'll likely be near the end of 2015 anyway. Way beyond the '35th anniversary'. 36 isn't exactly a number to celebrate (and even then, 35 is an odd number considering every other anniversary release so far is 25).

I don't think we're getting a reissue, named after the anniversary anyway. Personally, it'd piss me off for consistency reasons. On my shelf it'd be organised like...
Michael (2010)
Bad 25 (2012)
XSCAPE (2014)
Off the Wall 36 (2015)
Dangerous 25 (2016) (not announced, obviously, but a given).

Off the Wall is suddenly thrown in the mix, not only out-of-order but with a completely different number. Really hoping they don't do that.

Would be cool to see a tour or something though. Haven't really seen anything from the Jackson tours (I've never been one to care about the concerts enough to hunt down and watch different ones. Official releases and the TV broadcast of the HIStory show from my city are good enough for me :p).

I don't see why you feel the need to be OCD with how you present thing's? it can still be considered as the 35th anniversary, considering that the short film for 'Rock With You' was released in 1980! plus, it doesn't need to be titled 'Off The Wall 36' why can't they just title it as, 'Off The Wall: Deluxe Anniversary Edition' or something similar? i think it needs to be re-issued anyway, it is by far one of Michael's most overlooked albums! i wasn't really that interested in the Jackson's tours until recently, after watching London & Mexico 1975.. seems worth experiencing that part of Michael's life too! i'll be hoping if it come's, they will release one of the shows that were shot on film.. i'm sure at least one Triumph show was, Destiny Tour only has one track performed from 'Off The Wall' so it wouldn't make much sense to release one of those shows! we can only guess though, only The Estate know the fate of the upcoming projects..

I don't see why you feel the need to be OCD with how you present thing's? it can still be considered as the 35th anniversary, considering that the short film for 'Rock With You' was released in 1980!
I don't have OCD, but I do like consistency and order. It can't really be considered the '35th anniversary' either because the album name isn't 'Rock With You 35' either. Now if they released a short film for Off the Wall in 1980, then I'd agreed with you on this aspect.

plus, it doesn't need to be titled 'Off The Wall 36' why can't they just title it as, 'Off The Wall: Deluxe Anniversary Edition' or something similar? i think it needs to be re-issued anyway, it is by far one of Michael's most overlooked albums!
Yep that's possible! I had that in mind. This isn't directly specifically at you, but just the MJ community in general. Kinda annoys me how most suggestions fan have are all anniversary related. Free yourself of the anniversaries concept unless its major brahs ~*~*

i'm sure at least one Triumph show was, Destiny Tour only has one track performed from 'Off The Wall' so it wouldn't make much sense to release one of those shows! we can only guess though, only The Estate know the fate of the upcoming projects..
It'd make more sense to do the tour with more Michael Jackson songs since they are the Michael Jackson Estate (although we should obviously expect a fair share Jacksons considering the era).

Last edited:
I don't have OCD, but I do like consistency. The album name isn't 'Rock With You 35' either. Now if they released a short film for Off the Wall in 1980, then I'd agreed with you on this aspect.

Yep that's possible! I had that in mind. This isn't directly specifically at you, but just the MJ community in general. Kinda annoys me how most suggestions fan have are all anniversary related. Free yourself of the anniversaries concept unless its major brahs ~*~*

It'd make more sense to do the tour with more Michael Jackson songs since they are the Michael Jackson Estate (although we should obviously expect a fair share Jacksons considering the era).

Haha, fair enough then! i'm not really sure how else they could do this? maybe it could just be an 'Off The Wall' expanded edition release? with a few bonus tracks, live performances of the five tracks from the album plus the documentary by Spike Lee? it's all Presumptions right now though, of course.

As would i, i wouldn't see the need in including the full show though! if the estate only want to market Michael's solo works then as i suggested in my recent paragraph.. they could technically only release the 5 OTW song's performed on the Triumph Tour? depends though, the last 4 shows at The Forum look like a great choice.. Jackie has recently expressed interest in working with the estate again also.

Why release it as an anniversary at all? Why not just market it as a reissue of a classic album with some bonus material? OTW is far and away one of my least favorite albums, but if it needs to be done.

Yeah. Forget the anniversary!!! And people forget that the Jacksons were unbelievably fantastic from 76 at the dawn of the disco era and they took control of their own music.
Esp to see them become adults and develop their talent during a time that most mainstream audiences had pretty much forgotten about them.
Those were great days!!!!!

And OTW and the Triumph tour was the prize waiting for us at the end of all that hard work and belief in themselves.

Yeah. Forget the anniversary!!! And people forget that the Jacksons were unbelievably fantastic from 76 at the dawn of the disco era and they took control of their own music.
Esp to see them become adults and develop their talent during a time that most mainstream audiences had pretty much forgotten about them.
Those were great days!!!!!

And OTW and the Triumph tour was the prize waiting for us at the end of all that hard work and belief in themselves.

Nice sarcasm there hun ;) haha, but i have to agree with you.. why shouldn't the estate celebrate this anniversary in a wonderful way? Triumph Tour Cinema/Blu-Ray, 5 unreleased tracks + demo's & HD short films.. in 2012 their was word that Quincy was working on a documentary and expanded edition.. maybe he filmed his items early and now Spike is finishing it up? i hope they work hard on a possible Tour release.. the film reels need to be worked on, they're the highest possible source.. and to just release a Beta tape rip from the negatives would be entirely lazy of them! I hope we see an uprise of improvement.. i'm ready to be surprised.. but set to be extremely disappointed and would probably only buy the 2CD edition if such project happens, ready for Thriller 3D also ;) hehe, it's a rollercoaster right now..

- absolutely 100 % off topic

Why is it that in Michael Jackson & The Jacksons Live Victory Tour Toronto, Canada (1984) MJ uses a mic with wire most of the concert - and then suddenly during Beat it and Billie Jean - he uses a wireless mic??

Why on earth not have the wireless mic all concert. - when he spins with the wire he has to jump back the other way around a few times to be released from the wire - and anyway it gives more freedom on stage to not have a wire...?

Like Galactus123 said, short films and Bad Tour in BluRay would be awesome. (Maybe, the blackshirt)

Like Galactus123 said, short films and Bad Tour in BluRay would be awesome. (Maybe, the blackshirt)

The black shirt concert was shot on BetaCam, they first acquired film camera's for the red shirt show! anyway, i wanna see Aintree 1988 with the song's that were only performed in 1987 from Brisbane/Sydney & Tokyo September 13th as bonus' ;)

Back