Empire

barbee0715

Proud Member
Was wondering if anyone else saw the premiere of the new television series "Empire" and what you thought?

I had seen a little teaser doc on the making of it a few months ago, and it looked interesting but familiar.
But Timbaland was doing the music-and I'm definitely not a "hip hop" fan, and he once again, called himself the "Quincy Jones" of the new generation. He's so blasted egotistical every time I see him, so I wasn't planning on tuning in.

But I saw a few more previews, and Danny Strong, the writer and Lee Daniels, the producer said it was the hip hop version of the "Lion in Winter"-which I LOVE-so I got to see a re-run of the pilot last night.

IT WAS TERRIFIC. You've got Terrence Howard, the patriarch of the family who is a huge star-and owner of his record company and his wife, Taraji P. Henson just released from prison after 16 years for drug running (which she financed her husband's company with). She's out and she wants her part of the company.
And Luscious (Terrence Howard) has just found out he has ALS, and will die within 3 years-so he needs to leave one of his sons the company.

And then you have the 3 sons-the oldest is brilliant in business but not at all musical, the 2nd can sing, but he's gay and his father doesn't want to have anything to do with him, and the third son is his favorite-who could be a big rap artist, but he's a kid and somewhat lazy and spoiled. It's packed with intrigue and conniving characters and lots of back stabbing while everyone is vying for the company-including Taraji-who wants her favorite son (the middle son) to inherit it all.-big glitzy soap opera.

I love Terrence Howard and Taraji already-but Jussie Smollett plays the middle son, and he was terrific-and he can SING! I loved it and I hope it's a big hit.

Last edited:
I finally got to see Episode 2 and 3 of this series and it's turning out to be really good. I counted at least five or six "Michael Jackson" references in each show. LOL.

It has a lot of throw away lines that would mean something to older viewers-or theater geeks. One of my favorites was a scene where Terrence Howard was in a meeting and trying to convince a rap artist to introduce his son's act. He said it wouldn't be a backup to his son, but more like the time "Diana Ross presented the Jackson 5" to the world.
Pause.
And the rapper says "Who's Diana Ross?"

I cracked up.

I'm taking this article with a grain of salt, and wishful thinking on the part of Jussie Smollet, but rumour going around about Mariah Carey and Janet Jackson making guest spots on "Empire." http://www.eonline.com/news/644156/...m_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

NEWS/ Mariah Carey and Janet Jackson Heading to Empire? Check Out Who Wants Them!
by SYDNEY BUCKSBAUM Wed., Apr. 8, 2015 3:00 PM PDT
rs_560x415-150408122006-1024.mariah-carey-janet-jackson.jpg

Getty Images

Empire quickly became known for many things: Its insanely addictive storytelling, the amazing performances by the all-star cast and the chart-topping hit music the show produces.
But one thing that's just an extra cherry on top of Fox's ice cream sundae and crown jewel of the 2015 TV season? The incredible guest stars that show up episode after episode!
Season one boasted the likes of Jennifer Hudson, Snoop Dogg, Courtney Love, Naomi Campbell, Gladys Knight and so many more. And there's already talk of Denzel Washington or Oprah making an appearance next! But who else will we get in season two?
MORE: Empire boss reveals what's coming in season 2

When E! News caught up with Empire's breakout star Jussie Smollett after he hosted the 2015 Billboard Music Awards nominations press conference with Chrissy Teigen, he told us some pretty awesome ideas for who he wants to see on the Fox how next season.
"I keep saying, and I hope they can make this happen, because she's one of [showrunner] Lee [Daniel]'s closest friends, I really want to see Mariah Carey on the show," Smollett says. "I really want to see Janet Jackson on the show. And I would love to see Brandy Norwood on the show. Just selfishly, because I want to be able to sing with them. Let's make that happen!"

Press play on the video above to watch his full interview about season two now!
The 2015 Billboard Music Awards airs Sunday, May 17 on ABC.

Back