The Latin Tribute to Michael Jackson

Paris78

Proud Member
Donations
$240.00
Universal Classics @UMC · 13. Jan.

Watch the premiere of the 1st single from Unity: The Latin Tribute to Michael Jackson. “Smooth Criminal” on @Vevo: http://vevo.ly/xi3htD

http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...kson-smooth-criminal-video?utm_source=twitter

Here's the first single from the upcoming tropical tribute to the King of Pop.

An album of Latin music versions of Michael Jackson's hits? Could be really bad, like MJ "Bad." Or it could just be really bad.

Unity: The Latin Tribute to Michael Jackson started in 2011 as a (successful) $10,000 Kickstarter campaign by Tony Succar, a young Peruvian-American percussionist (and major Jackson fan) from Miami. He had the idea for the album after recording a salsa arrangement of "Thriller" for a Halloween party, and getting an encouraging reaction after putting it on iTunes.

But actually getting the recording done was not as easy or economical as Succar had originally predicted -- and Kickstarter backers have been waiting for quite a while. (Succar, who had never produced an album before, admits, "I had no idea what I was getting into.") But the album is now set for release on Universal Music Classics in April.

Tracks include hits from throughout the King of Pop's career, with "Billie Jean," "I Want You Back" and "Man in the Mirror" among them. Well-known tropical artists including Tito Nieves, Obie Bermudez, India and Michael Stuart perform on Unity, supported by an old-school Latin big band.

"Smooth Criminal," the first single from the project, is now out with Puerto Rican singer Jean Rodriguez in Jackson's shoes. The song seems set for Latin dance floors and radio from the first minute, thanks to the congas and horns punctuating the framework of the original song -- plus, Rodriguez brings some urban Latino love to the English vocals.

It gets really good about half way through when the band breaks out and Rodriguez turns up the heat when he starts singing -- and soneando -- in Spanish, improvising and playing off a group of backup singers. What started as a pretty cool Michael Jackson cover ends as a hard salsa celebration. We're looking forward to hearing more.

B7QAq-KCEAA_hAV.jpg:large

1545996_885276424827178_7946125414834731574_n.png

The groundbreaking album embodies Jackson’s spirit of harmony and bringing diverse cultures together through music. “The one thing that stood out in Michael’s music was love. The reality was unity,” Succar says. He continues, “I also wanted the title to stand for something: a real marriage between Latin roots and American pop culture, and to help keep Michael’s legacy alive.”

The birth of Unity came when Succar arranged a salsa-infused version of “Thriller” for a Halloween party in Miami. The reaction was so immediate and overwhelmingly positive that he recorded a version in his bedroom with his band, posted it online and gave away copies. DJs started playing the track and Succar began getting requests from around the world for a full album of Latin-flavored Jackson songs. “That sparked it,” Succar says. “I was such a fan. I felt like I had to do something.”

Part of keeping Jackson’s legacy alive meant incorporating elements of the original production in each of his fresh renditions for Unity.“Even the horn lines, I would transcribe them from Quincy Jones’ productions and then apply them to the arrangement in a different way,” Succar says. “The essence of every song was respected. I gave it my best to create this very thin line between what Michael did with his production and what I brought to the project.”

With Succar taking producer and arranger credits, Unity also features two tracks – “Earth Song” and “Smooth Criminal” — mixed byMichael Jackson’s legendary engineer Bruce Swedien with Nick Valentin. Grammy winner Carlos Alvarez engineered the rest of the album achieving a sonically crisp sound.

“American funk, soul, jazz—all those styles that were influencing Michael— were inspired from African music,” Succar says. “Same with Afro-Peruvian music, Cuban music. These songs were meant to be. Their original flavor lends itself to these Latin rhythms.”

Tracklisting:
01: I Want You Back (featuring Tito Nieves)
02: Billie Jean (featuring Jean Rodriguez)
03: Man in the Mirror (featuring Kevin Ceballo)
04: Sera Que No Me Amas (featuring Michael Stuart)
05: Earth Song (featuring India)
06: Human Nature (featuring Jon Secada)
07: Todo Mi Amor Eres Tu (featuring Obie Bermudez & Jennifer Pena)
08: Black or White (featuring Kevin Ceballo)
09: Smooth Criminal (featuring Jean Rodriguez)
10: They Don’t Care About Us (featuring Kevin Ceballo)
11: Thriller (featuring Kevin Ceballo)
12: You Are Not Alone (featuring Tito Nieves and Tito Nieves Jr.)
Produced and Arranged by Tony Succar
Mixed by: Carlos Alvarez, Bruce Swedien* & Nick Valentin*
*track 5 and 9

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/unity-the-latin-tribute-to-michael-jackson-300020894.html

I love the SC the beat was different it was good their did a good job on it nice to see Bruce Swedien was working with them. I believe Tony Succar when he said it was hard to do it was a big task they were taking on but it done.

Remind me when Michael said after he finish the Bad album we'we done how happy MJ was:)

Last edited:
I like it! I think they did a good job and latin music fans would love it. Can't wait to hear the whole album. :)

Tony Succar’s Latin MJ Tribute: “The One Thing That Stood Out In Michael’s Music Was Love”

What do you get when you combine fiercely talented Latinos, award-winning multi-instrumentalists, artists, and a Peruvian-American musical arranger who loves salsa and Michael Jackson?

The first-ever Latin album salute to the King of Pop called “Unity: The Latin Tribute to Michael Jackson,” which is the brainchild of producer/multi-instrumentalist/arranger Tony Succar.

Succar, a young Peruvian-American percussionist who was born in Lima, Peru and lives in Miami, Florida, has been a huge MJ fan his entire life. After the pop icon’s passing, he was inspired to carry on his legacy and revive Jackson’s sound, but with a Latin spin.

“Michael influenced me so much and inspired all of us,” Succar said. He also reiterated that Jackson’s songs not only celebrate all different cultures and racial backgrounds, but the overall “unification of human beings for a better tomorrow.”

“The one thing that stood out in Michael’s music was love. The reality was unity,” Succar added. “I also wanted the title to stand for something: a real marriage between Latin roots and American pop culture, and to help keep Michael’s legacy alive.”

“Unity: The Latin Tribute to Michael Jackson,” which will be released on April 14, 2015, will feature over 100 musicians including Latin superstars Tito Nieves, Jon Secada, Obie Bermúdez, among many other notable artists and musicians.

“I think you’re going to love this project and enjoy the experience,” Secada said.

“The result is Jackson’s timeless pop and R&B tunes, such as ‘Thriller,’ ‘Billie Jean,’ and ‘I Want You Back’ married with glorious salsa and tropical rhythms, resulting in innovative, vibrant arrangements that snap to life with exhilarating energy,” according to Universal Music Latino.

Puerto Rican singer Jean Rodriguez lends his suave vocals to Jackson’s “Smooth Criminal,” the first single from the project.

“The song seems set for Latin dance floors and radio from the first minute, thanks to the congas and horns punctuating the framework of the original song — plus, Rodriguez brings some urban Latino love to the English vocals,” Billboard added.

“This album has a lot of potential,” Rodriguez said.

“American funk, soul, jazz-all those styles that were influencing Michael- were inspired from African music,” Succar added. “Same with Afro-Peruvian music, Cuban music. These songs were meant to be. Their original flavor lends itself to these Latin rhythms.”

You can’t keep Jackson’s legacy alive without help from the masters who were behind the King of Pop.

“Even the horn lines, I would transcribe them from Quincy Jones’ productions and then apply them to the arrangement in a different way,” Succar explained. “The essence of every song was respected. I gave it my best to create this very thin line between what Michael did with his production and what I brought to the project.”

While Succar is the producer and arranger, “Unity” also features two tracks – “Earth Song” and “Smooth Criminal,” which are mixed by Jackson’s legendary engineer Bruce Swedien with Nick Valentín. Grammy winner Carlos Álvarez engineered the rest of the album and achieved “a sonically crisp sound.”

How did Succar’s musical labor of love come to fruition?

Succar recorded a salsa arrangement of “Thriller” for a Halloween party, which received a lot of buzz and an encouraging reaction after he put it on iTunes. DJs started playing the track and Succar began getting requests from around the world for a full album of Latin-flavored Jackson songs. After such a welcoming reception, the idea for the album was born.

“That sparked it,” Succar explained. “I was such a fan. I felt like I had to do something.”

With that said, Succar spearheaded a $10,000 Kickstarter campaign to fund the album, according to Billboard. The album also supports The UNITY Project, “an innovative sound that interconnects elements of American Pop, Jazz, Tropical, and World Music with the enduring foundations of the King of Pop.”

While pulling off the recording was “not as easy or economical as Succar had originally predicted,” Kickstarter backers will finally see Succar’s hard work come to fruition this Spring. Universal Music Classics in partnership with Universal Music Latin Entertainment will release the album.

The 2015 Grammys may have just wrapped up, but Latino music lovers and American pop culture aficionados can get still their music fix with a creative Latin spin on Jackson’s most celebrated hits.

“It’s also a reminder to the world that Latinos love Michael Jackson,” added La India, a featured vocalist on “Unity.”

“Unity: The Latin Tribute to Michael Jackson” will be released on April 14, 2015.

Sources: Latin Post – By Melissa Catellanos

SC is very nice.

I am looking forward to hearing the rest.

I think it's an amazing and thoughtful tribute and imagine Michael would've liked the Latin spin. I also find it interesting that the CD is funded through a successful Kickstarter campaign. That's not easy to do.

Guys, BRUCE SWEDIEN was the recording engineer of this project!

I want this CD
I'm gonna see if it in my local CD store tomorrow

Its a great Tribute, but anyway a few times I think the synchronisation is totally wrong...
partly songs sound so strange (f.e. Earth Song)

TDCAU is amazing anyways! :)

Unity Latin Tribute @UnityTribute · April 17th

We're #1 on Amazon's "Best Sellers in Latin Music" list! We can only say, again,THANK YOU!

CCv7CDgW0AEuW8c.jpg:large

Thank you very much for the thread, guys. Im Sandra de la Vega, peruvian, timelife MJ fan and part of the Unity Project. Ill be glad to answer any questions about it. We are happy as we can be for the release

If you wanna listen to the album, you can do it in Spotify!

https://play.spotify.com/album/5taPiSjk0tbVCzqV7H9xMJ

And please follow our fanpage

https://www.facebook.com/UnityLatinTribute

Thank you very much.

Hi is the album being released in music stores worldwide?

'Unity': A Latin-Style Tribute to King Of Pop Michael Jackson http://nbcnews.to/1FKOVda via @NBCNews

Unity Latin Tribute @UnityTribute ·
Setting up for the @UnityTribute album release show at @BallAndChainBar. Showcase open to the public at 10:30pm
CC0kuDwXIAEA7V5.jpg:large

I just purchased the CD on Amazon, and it included a free audio rip into my
Amazon Cloud downloaded music.
http://www.amazon.com/Unity-Latin-Tribute-Michael-Jackson/dp/B00UN0502U/ref=zg_bs_195385011_2

This Unity Latin Michael Jackson Tribute music is AWESOME!!!!
I suggest you just put this CD on and let it PLAY AND PLAY AND PLAY!!!!
Michael Jackson is smiling down from Heaven!!!!
:dance2:

Thanks, Paris 78
'Unity': A Latin-Style Tribute to King Of Pop Michael Jacksonhttp://nbcnews.to/1FKOVda via @NBCNews

Unity Latin Tribute @UnityTribute ·
Setting up for the @UnityTribute album release show at @BallAndChainBar. Showcase open to the public at 10:30pm
CC0kuDwXIAEA7V5.jpg:large

Last edited:
I listened to SC and it sounded GREAT! Can someone tell me what song is track no. 4? I can't figure it out. :doh:

Universal Musica @UniversalMusica · 56 Min. ago
UNITY is #1 on the Tropical charts!! Thanks to everyone for your support in making this happen! @UnityTribute

Music Review: Tony Succar – “Unity: The Latin Tribute to Michael Jackson”

http://blogcritics.org/music-review-tony-succar-unity-the-latin-tribute-to-michael-jackson/?

Turns out that all you have to do is listen to the opening track of Unity: The Latin Tribute to Michael Jackson to recognize that the idea of combining the songbook of the American pop genius with the energy of salsa and Latin rhythms is a no-brainer. The question is what took it this long.

The album combines the talents of over 100 musicians. Credit for that goes to producer/arranger/percussionist Tony Succar. The idea for Unity was in the fusing of two cultures. “The one thing that stood out in Michael’s music was love. The reality was unity,” Succar says. He continues, “I also wanted the title to stand for something: a real marriage between Latin roots and American pop culture, and to help keep Michael’s legacy alive.”

If that was the objective, there is no question that the album is a smashing success. Individual listeners will certainly have their favorites among the album’s dozen songs, but this is a disc where the song you heard last is the song you like best – that is until you hear what comes next.

Joining Succar on the project are some of the brightest stars of Latin music. The opening number “I Want You Back” and the album’s closer “You Are Not Alone” feature Tito Nieves. Kevin Ceballo highlights four tracks including a dynamic version of “Thriller” and “Man in the Mirror.” Jon Secada handles “Human Nature,” and Obie Bermúdez and Jennifer Peña have a lovely duet on “Todo Mi Amor Eres Tu.” Jean Rodriguez does exciting work on both “Billie Jean” and “Smooth Criminal.” In one of the album’s many highlights, and my own particular favorite, “Earth Song” gets a dramatic reading from India.

Succar points out that keeping “Michael’s legacy alive” meant using material from the original arrangements and applying them in different ways. “The essence of every song was respected. I gave it my best to create this very thin line between what Michael did with his production and what I brought to the project.” What he brought to the project was both sensitivity and passion, qualities felt throughout the album.

This album is being heavily promoted on Australian TV. Bought it on Itunes and it's amazing. Good to see this project is being supported by MJ fans here.:chillin:

This album is being heavily promoted on Australian TV. Bought it on Itunes and it's amazing. Good to see this project is being supported by MJ fans here.:chillin:

Yeah there was a special bout it on tv a few week ago and i taped it but still have yet to watch it

Just listened to few songs from it and it's great! Think I'm going to have to dip into my change jar and get the album.

Back