Spider-Man is coming to the Marvel cinematic universe

This is awesome news! Marc Webb's Spider-Man movies weren't that good so I'm glad that series ends. I hope Spidey appears in Captain America: Civil War movie.

Spider-Man has returned home! :) Even though Sony is still the boss Marvel has some say what happens.

"Sony Pictures Entertainment and Marvel Studios officially announced today that Sony is bringing Marvel into the amazing world of Spider-Man! Under a new deal, a new Spider-Man (not Andrew Garfield) will first appear in a currently-unspecified Marvel film within the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Sony Pictures will thereafter release the next installment of its $4 billion Spider-Man franchise, on July 28, 2017, in a film that will be co-produced by Kevin Feige and his expert team at Marvel and Amy Pascal, who oversaw the franchise launch for the studio 13 years ago. Together, they will collaborate on a new creative direction for the web slinger. Sony Pictures will continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films.

Marvel and Sony Pictures are also exploring opportunities to integrate characters from the MCU into future Spider-Man films.

The new relationship follows a decade of speculation among fans about whether Spider-Man – who has always been an integral and important part of the larger Marvel Universe in the comic books – could become part of the Marvel Universe on the big screen. Spider-Man has more than 50 years of history in Marvel's world, and with this deal, fans will be able to experience Spider-Man taking his rightful place among other Super Heroes in the MCU."

Last edited:
I'm sad to lose Andrew Garfield though. He was fantastic in the role

I think Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone were the only good parts in last two movies. It will be awesome to see Spider-Man in the same movie with The Avengers.

Sinister Six Still in Development, Spider-Man to Debut in Captain America: Civil War:
http://www.superherohype.com/news/3...o-debut-in-captain-america-civil-war#/slide/1

"Last night, Marvel Studios broke the internet once again by revealing they would co-produce a new Spider-Man movie in 2017 after introducing the character into the Marvel Cinematic Universe via one of their own films. Now, The Wall Street Journal reports that Spidey’s debut feature in the MCU will be none other than Captain America: Civil War, set for release on May 6, 2016.

“Civil War” is also set to introduce Chadwick Boseman’s Black Panther into the realm of the MCU in what is described as “a big part” of the film. It seems unlikely that this would change, but alterations are possible now that the web slinger has returned home.

In other Spider-Man news, WSJ also reports that Sony’s Sinister Six feature film remains in development but has been pushed back from its November 2016 release date as the studio “rethinks” their plans for it. The Cabin in the Woods director Drew Goddard is attached to write and direct the film.

The Amazing Spider-Man star Andrew Garfield will not reprise his role of Peter Parker in the upcoming film, which is scheduled to hit theaters on July 28, 2017."

I'm happy we don't have to see that awful Green Goblin from TASM2 again and the villian designs were really poor in last few movies. I trust that Marvel can make better Spider-Man movies than Sony alone. I don't know who they are going to cast as Peter but I hope not someone too young.

Marvel as said that they want Peter Parker in his high school years. So I think they're gonna go with someone quite young.

Tom Holland will be the new Spider-Man and Jon Watts will be directing the movie:
http://www.superherohype.com/news/3...-spider-man-and-will-be-directed-by-jon-watts

holland-as-spider-man-haeder.jpg

I just hope that Tom Holland has enough charisma to play the character. Not just as Spider-Man, but as Peter Parker also. What a lot of people don't know or forget is that in the comics Peter had a great deal of charisma, and he had a sense of humor in and out of costume. How else do you think he attracted girls like Betty Brant, Liz Allen, Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane? Peter Parker wasn't always a quiet, timid person like Sam Rami led a lot of people to believe.

I hope not. We already saw Venom not long ago. There is not point in using the same villians again in my opinion.

They totally butchered venoms character in that movie, in fact spiderman 3 was not too good imo. I want them to do venom proper as he is portrayed in the comics and animated shows.

They totally butchered venoms character in that movie, in fact spiderman 3 was not too good imo. I want them to do venom proper as he is portrayed in the comics and animated shows.

I think the design was great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JIx7GBFLeg

Only his voice was the problem and he should have talked about himself as we. As a fan I would like to see the black suit and Venom story told again but it might not be good when you think about it from the general audience perspective. Why do the same movie again but a little differently?

Found the perfect actor for The Vulture

Robert Englund
RobertVulture.jpg

He's age appropriate for the character, he resembles the character and he voiced the character on The Spectacular Spider-Man animated series. With a mix of stunt men and CGI, Robert Englund could own this part easily.

August 20, 2019 | by Borys Kit | Hollywood Reporter
spider-man_far_from_home-publicity_still_2-_h_2019.jpg

Sony Pictures is vowing to carry on the Spider-Man franchise without Marvel Studios’ involvement, placing the blame on Disney for cutting the successful inter-studio cooperation short.

In a statement obtained exclusively by The Hollywood Reporter, the studio says it is “disappointed” that Marvel president Kevin Feige will no longer act as lead producer on the film franchise, squarely laying the decision at Disney’s feet. “Much of today’s news about Spider-Man has mischaracterized recent discussions about Kevin Feige’s involvement in the franchise,” says a Sony spokesperson. “We are disappointed, but respect Disney’s decision not to have him continue as a lead producer of our next live-action Spider-Man film.”

The studio then says Feige, who shepherds the robust Marvel Cinematic Universe for Disney-owned Marvel, may just have too much on his plate, given that Disney recently acquired additional Marvel characters via its acquisition of 21st Century Fox.

“We hope this might change in the future, but understand that the many new responsibilities that Disney has given him — including all their newly added Marvel properties — do not allow time for him to work on IP they do not own,” says the statement. “Kevin is terrific and we are grateful for his help and guidance and appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue.”

The statement comes as THR and others reported Tuesday that Sony and Disney have parted ways as co-producers on the revived Spider-Man movie franchise. Reports suggest that studio chiefs Tom Rothman at Sony and Alan Horn at Disney could not agree on a financial arrangement to continue to collaborate.

Disney and Sony entered into a unique partnership for Marvel to produce the Spider-Man movies that starred Tom Holland. The deal saw Feige as lead producer on Spider-Man: Homecoming and Spider-Man: Far From Home in a complex arrangement that allowed the hero, whose movie rights are controlled by Sony, to appear in Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War and two Avengers movies.

The two sides had been talking about ways to extend the deal for future Spider-Man movies to star Holland, but talks collapsed recently.

Sony announced Monday that Far From Home had surpassed Skyfall to become the studio’s most successful release, with a worldwide haul of $1.109 billion and counting. The film will be rereleased over the Labor Day weekend with four minutes of additional footage.

Typical Sony. Everybody's blaming Disney and/or Sony for this. But I blame Sony.

by Mike Fleming Jr | August 20, 2019 | Deadline
kevin-feige-tom-rothman-e1566328280693.jpg
UPDATED at 8:55p.m. PT with Sony response: Sony Pictures spent much of yesterday trying to spin Deadline about the prospective loss of Kevin Feige from future Spider-Man films. First the studio downplayed the idea he might be leaving; then insiders pinned his exit on added responsibilities from the Fox acquisition of the X-Men franchise, though they declined to make a statement. All this was reflected as factors in Deadline’s break of an important and widely regurgitated story. But sources maintain that Feige’s exit was about money; it was about Disney seeking the 50/50 co-fi stake as the price for Marvel and Feige’s continued guiding hand that resulted in the delivery of Sony’s biggest grossing film ever. Sony declined to meet those terms. It was an aggressive stance by Disney, which already owns the merchandise on Spider-Man, and a tough nut for Sony to swallow, giving up half of its most valuable franchise. But these talks had been going on for some time. Had Sony agreed to Disney’s ask, Marvel and Feige would not have withdrawn from the Spider-Man films, sources said.

Sony issued a statement late in the evening, not denying anything Deadline revealed yesterday, but reiterating its stance that Feige was too busy, which seems like spin. Deadline stands squarely behind its reporting. How important is Feige to the future of this franchise? We’ll find out down the line. Sony is planning two more installments, though it is an open question whether those will include Jon Watts, director of the first two films guided creatively by Feige. Watts isn’t signed on for the next film and isn’t a certainty to be back as he is being heavily courted for other jobs. Could Sony find itself vying against Marvel for Watts’ future services as director? Here is Sony’s late evening statement: “Much of today’s news about Spider-Man has mischaracterized recent discussions about Kevin Feige’s involvement in the franchise. We are disappointed, but respect Disney’s decision not to have him continue as a lead producer of our next live action Spider-Man film,” a Sony spokesperson said. “We hope this might change in the future, but understand that the many new responsibilities that Disney has given him – including all their newly added Marvel properties – do not allow time for him to work on IP they do not own. Kevin is terrific and we are grateful for his help and guidance and appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue.”

PREVIOUS DEADLINE EXCLUSIVE: Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige won’t produce any further Spider-Man films because of an inability by Disney and Sony Pictures to reach new terms that would have given the former a co-financing stake going forward. A dispute that has taken place over the past few months at the top of Disney and Sony has essentially nixed Feige, and the future involvement of Marvel from the Spider-Man universe, sources said.

This comes at a moment when the last two films Kevin Feige produced broke all-time records — Disney’s Avengers: Endgame became the highest grossing film of all time, and Spider-Man: Far From Home this week surpassed the James Bond film Skyfall to become the all time highest grossing film for Sony Pictures.

Sources said there are two more Spider-Man films in the works and the studio hopes to have director Jon Watts and Tom Holland front and center, though Watts doesn’t have a deal for the next picture and isn’t a lock to return. That isn’t helped by that fact that, unless something dramatic happens, Feige won’t be the lead creative producer of those pictures.

There is a lot of webbing here, but it all comes down to money, and it’s easy to understand why both sides refused to give ground. Disney asked that future Spider-Man films be a 50/50 co-financing arrangement between the studios, and there were discussions that this might extend to other films in the Spider-Man universe. Sony turned that offer down flat. Sources said that Sony, led by Tom Rothman and Tony Vinciquerra, came back with other configurations, but Disney didn’t want to do that. But Sony did not want to share its biggest franchise. Sure Disney would be putting up half the funding, but the risk is in how much you are going to make back in profit. Disney wasn’t at all interested in continuing the current terms where Marvel receives in the range of 5% of first dollar gross, sources said.

Now, it’s easy to say that Feige has enough on his plate, especially after taking control of the X-Men universe in the Fox acquisition, including the Deadpool franchise, along with architecting the next phase of the Marvel superhero universe and building movies and shows for Disney +. But I’m told Feige loves Spider-Man, arguably the biggest superhero character in the Marvel canon. He would have continued if Disney and Sony could have reached new deal terms.

Essentially this means that Sony will have to try to win a championship without Michael Jordan. After all, Feige’s first decade at Marvel is largely unblemished and his consistency has been nothing short of historic: even George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson haven’t seen everything turn into a hit, and so maybe only James Cameron has the success record that Feige has achieved. But Feige has done it all in the last 10 years, producing and overseeing 23 superheros, with not a flop in the bunch. They’ve all been number one openers that have collectively grossed $26.8 billion. Feige this year became the producer of the top grossing film ever for two studios — Sony and Disney — and he produced three of the top four highest grossing films this year in Avengers: Endgame, Captain Marvel and Spider-Man: Far From Home. This after scoring the first ever Best Picture Oscar nom for a superhero film last year with Black Panther. I can’t think of a Hollywood producer/executive who has done anything close to this.

And the launch of the new iteration of Spider-Man was done brilliantly with Marvel’s support and help. It has been a boon to both studios. Tom Holland’s character was introduced in the Joe & Anthony Russo-directed 2016 blockbuster Captain America: Civil War, the film that set up the two record breaking Avengers films. Sony’s first rebooted Spidey film, 2017’s Spider-Man: Homecoming, rode that Marvel wave and grossed $880 million worldwide, and then the webslinger was a key character in the two Avengers films, leading to the Spidey sequel that this week became Sony’s top grossing film ever.

Sources said Disney’s top brass for the past several months has sought new terms for Feige and the Marvel cross-pollination to continue. As the Spider-Man relationship grew, Feige and Sony Pictures chief Tom Rothman spoke about the possibility of a wider involvement in the Sony-controlled Spider-man universe, which contains 900 characters.

It is understandable that the fiscally shrewd Rothman would balk at giving up half of Sony’s biggest franchise to Marvel. After all, Marvel already owns the merchandising on Spider-Man. Does the Mouse really need half of the movie universe also? Sony so far has decided that as valuable as Feige is, Disney is asking too high a price.

Sources said that Sony reasoned that they will be fine, without Feige. The creative template has been set on the Spider-Man films, and Watt and Holland are in place along with Amy Pascal, who became producer with Feige after she exited the executive suite after presiding over the previous Spider-man iterations directed by Sam Raimi and Marc Webb as Sony Pictures chief. And sources note that Venom was a problem picture and far from the polished product that grossed $856 million worldwide, until Rothman himself spent a good long time in the editing room helping to get it there.

The Venom sequel is well underway with Andy Serkis directing Tom Hardy, and there is Morbius with Jared Leto, Kraven The Hunter, and another spinoff with the characters Silver Sable and Black Cat. And a Sinister Six film that got shelved. Sony, which once felt the ticking clock of generating a Spider-Man film every three or so years to prevent a rights reversion to Disney, now has plenty of pictures to make. And the studio also won the Best Animated Feature Oscar for Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse, a smash hit they made on their own.

No comment from Marvel/Disney, Feige or Sony Pictures.

I'm not sure how to feel about the news. I think the MCU Spider-Man had been a bit disappointing. Would be great to see Tom Hardy Venom and Spider-Man in a same movie.

by Devan Coggan | August 24, 2019 | Entertainment Weekly

<iframe src='//players.brightcove.net/219646971/default_default/index.html?videoId=6076673749001' allowfullscreen frameborder=0></iframe>

Tom Holland is opening up about Spider-Man’s future in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, following the news that Disney and Sony have failed to reach a deal on new films.

Holland stopped by PEOPLE and EW’s studio backstage at Disney’s D23, where he addressed the news that Disney has no new plans to include Spider-Man in future MCU films.

“Basically, we’ve made five great movies,” Holland told EW. “It’s been five amazing years. I’ve had the time of my life. Who knows what the future holds? But all I know is that I’m going to continue playing Spider-Man and having the time of my life. It’s going to be so fun, however we choose to do it. The future for Spider-Man will be different, but it will be equally as awesome and amazing, and we’ll find new ways to make it even cooler.”

Earlier this week, news broke that Disney would be ending its partnership with Sony Pictures on the Spider-Man franchise, thanks to a disagreement over co-financing. Sony owns the film rights to the iconic superhero, and several years ago, the studios struck a deal: Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige would help produce Sony’s solo Spider-Man films, allowing Holland’s Spidey to appear in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, beginning with 2016’s Captain America: Civil War.

After the release of this summer’s Spider-Man: Far From Home (which has now become Sony’s highest-grossing film of all time with $1.11 billion worldwide), Disney reportedly asked to share co-financing on future Spider-Man solo films, while Sony wanted the financing arrangement to remain the same as it had been. Unless a deal can be reached, Holland will not appear in any future MCU movies (and no MCU characters will appear in Holland’s solo films).

Feige also spoke to EW on Saturday about his reaction to the Spider-Man news. He served as producer on Holland’s two solo films and will not produce any future films for Sony.

“I’m feeling about Spider-Man gratitude and joy,” Feige told EW. “We got to make five films within the MCU with Spider-Man: two standalone films and three with the Avengers. It was a dream that I never thought would happen. It was never meant to last forever. We knew there was a finite amount of time that we’d be able to do this, and we told the story we wanted to tell, and I’ll always be thankful for that.”

Holland also briefly alluded to the Spider-Man news on stage at D23. He made an appearance at Disney’s panel Saturday morning to tease some new footage from his upcoming Pixar movie, Onward, with Chris Pratt and Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Before leaving the stage, he stopped to tell the audience, “Hey everyone, it’s been a crazy week but i want you all to know from the bottom of my heart that I love you 3000.”

<iframe src="//content.jwplatform.com/players/chdHpsou-JO6kgQAV.html" width="320" height="260" frameborder="0" scrolling="auto"></iframe>

By Anthony D'Alessandro • September 27, 2019 • Deadline
far-from-home.jpg

UPDATED with more details: Sony has agreed to the terms that Disney originally proposed for its participation in a third Spider-Man movie, whereby Disney/Marvel would co-finance 25% of a third Homecoming movie for a 25% equity stake. The deal also calls for Spider-Man appearing in one more Disney/Marvel movie.

This is also a big win for Sony here in continuing a series that will likely give it another $1 billion-plus-grossing film along with an 8% distribution fee or higher. Additionally, the deal keeps intact the creative steering of Disney’s Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige, who led two of the best and most profitable fan-pleasing pics in the Spidey film canon to $2 billion worldwide.

The third film is scheduled for release on July 16, 2021. Amy Pascal will also produce through Pascal Pictures, as she has on the first two Holland-led films.

Disney and Sony mended fences last night in a signed agreement. No matter what nasty backroom dealings there were as this deal came together in the last few months, it’s the fans who won today as the extension of the webslinger into the Avengers movies and Captain America: Civil War, and Feige’s creative fingerprints on the last two Spideys, have all together amassed close to $8 billion for those five movies. Deadline always had a sense that there was a possibility that Sony and Marvel would come together on this. Disney already owns merchandising rights on Spider-Man over the last decade.

The original Sony-Marvel deal over the last two Spider-Man films saw Disney getting an estimated 5% of first-dollar gross, and those were terms that the Burbank studio did not want to move forward with. At one point, Disney’s side heated to a 50/50 co-finance ask, and that was a hard nut for Sony to swallow. Even though Disney would put up half the funding, the risk was how much Sony was going to make back in profit. Per Deadline’s industry profit reports, Sony made $200.1M after all ancillaries on the first Homecoming alone.

Despite the hard-balling, we understand Disney came back to the table after D23 when they read the fanboy crowd on how upset they were over a possible rift in the Spider-Man universe. It was there that Holland appeared (to promote his Pixar movie Onward), acknowledging the rough studio talks and assuring fans, saying, “It’s been a crazy week, but I want you to know I am grateful from the bottom of my heart and I love you 3,000.”

“I am thrilled that Spidey’s journey in the MCU will continue, and I and all of us at Marvel Studios are very excited that we get to keep working on it,” Feige said in a statement Friday. “Spider-Man is a powerful icon and hero whose story crosses all ages and audiences around the globe. He also happens to be the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes, so as Sony continues to develop their own Spidey-verse you never know what surprises the future might hold.”

We hear that as Sony progresses their own Marvel universe with titles likes Venom 2 and Sinister Six, and Disney/Marvel their own, there could be a “call and answer” between the two franchises as they acknowledge details between the two in what is would loosely be described as a shared detailed universe. Details on that are still early.

“This is terrific. Peter Parker’s story took a dramatic turn in Far From Home and I could not be happier we will all be working together as we see where his journey goes,” said Pascal. “This has been a winning partnership for the studios, the franchise and the fans, and I’m overjoyed it will continue.”

Spider-Man: Far From Home became Sony’s biggest film ever worldwide with $1.13 billion, unseating previous studio champ Skyfall, which made $1.1B.

Deadline exclusively reported on the fight between Sony and Marvel over maintaining the latter’s involvement in the franchise with Feige that lasted over the past several months. At one point, Sony was essentially going to make the third Spider-Man Homecoming pic without Feige and Marvel.

“We have had a great collaboration over the last four years, and our mutual desire to continue was equal to that of the many fans. We are delighted to be moving forward together,” a Sony spokesperon said this morning.

December 08, 2020 • by Aaron Couch, Borys Kit • The Hollywood Reporter
BR19_COM_PUB_V2_4KFA_VD1605-H-2020-1607365745-928x523.jpg

Alfred Molina is putting the metal arms back on to reprise his role as the villainous Doctor Octopus, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Molina turned in a fan-favorite performance in Sam Raimi's 2004 sequel Spider-Man 2 as Otto Octavius, a brilliant scientist turned eight-limbed villain who pushed Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man to the limits. Molina's involvement in the upcoming Spider-Man movie was first rumored late last month, when GWW reported the actor had been spotted on set.

Tom Holland stars in the film, which Sony has dated for Dec. 17, 2021, which has Spider-Man: Homecoming and Spider-Man: Far From Home director Jon Watts back at the helm. Benedict Cumberbatch will appear in the film as Doctor Strange, while Spider-Man mainstays expected to return include Zendaya, Marisa Tomei, Jacob Batalon and Tony Revolori.

Molina's involvement ties together three generations of Spider-Man movies. Jamie Foxx is returning as Electro after playing the role in 2014's The Amazing Spider-Man 2, which starred Andrew Garfield as the wall crawler, while Molina's Doc Ock terrorized Maguire's version of Spidey. In October, Foxx suggested in a since-deleted Instagram post that three different Spider-Men could appear in the film.

Marvel and Sony had no comment.

2019's Far From Home, which amid the COVID-pandemic release date shuffles stands as the most recent Marvel Studios film, earned more than $1 billion globally and has swung to the top of the ladder as highest-grossing Spider-Man movie of all time.
Molina, who earned Emmy and Golden Globe nominations for 2017's Feud: Bette and Joan, starred in Frozen II last year and has Netflix and DreamWorks' Trollhunters: Rise of the Titans due out next year.

DuranDuran;4312328 said:
December 08, 2020 &#8226; by Aaron Couch, Borys Kit &#8226; The Hollywood Reporter
BR19_COM_PUB_V2_4KFA_VD1605-H-2020-1607365745-928x523.jpg

Alfred Molina is putting the metal arms back on to reprise his role as the villainous Doctor Octopus, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Molina turned in a fan-favorite performance in Sam Raimi's 2004 sequel Spider-Man 2 as Otto Octavius, a brilliant scientist turned eight-limbed villain who pushed Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man to the limits. Molina's involvement in the upcoming Spider-Man movie was first rumored late last month, when GWW reported the actor had been spotted on set.

Tom Holland stars in the film, which Sony has dated for Dec. 17, 2021, which has Spider-Man: Homecoming and Spider-Man: Far From Home director Jon Watts back at the helm. Benedict Cumberbatch will appear in the film as Doctor Strange, while Spider-Man mainstays expected to return include Zendaya, Marisa Tomei, Jacob Batalon and Tony Revolori.

Molina's involvement ties together three generations of Spider-Man movies. Jamie Foxx is returning as Electro after playing the role in 2014's The Amazing Spider-Man 2, which starred Andrew Garfield as the wall crawler, while Molina's Doc Ock terrorized Maguire's version of Spidey. In October, Foxx suggested in a since-deleted Instagram post that three different Spider-Men could appear in the film.

Marvel and Sony had no comment.

2019's Far From Home, which amid the COVID-pandemic release date shuffles stands as the most recent Marvel Studios film, earned more than $1 billion globally and has swung to the top of the ladder as highest-grossing Spider-Man movie of all time.
Molina, who earned Emmy and Golden Globe nominations for 2017's Feud: Bette and Joan, starred in Frozen II last year and has Netflix and DreamWorks' Trollhunters: Rise of the Titans due out next year.

This is amazing news. I was so happy when I read it, would love to see Andrew and Toby reprise their roles.

[video=youtube;rt-2cxAiPJk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt-2cxAiPJk[/video]

Back