PYT

Bad
IJCSLY

Dangerous
In The Closet (demo)
Black Or White

Invincible
You Rock My World

Where do you stand when it comes to spoken intros on MJ songs? I think it worked really well for some songs but on other songs it just became tacky. It's not just MJ but in general I feel that the spoken intro thing is overused and outdated.

Last edited:
I don't mind it on the songs you mentioned (DSTYGE spoken intro is one of the best build-ups to a song ever), but I can't stand the spoken dialogue at the beginning of Black or White and YRMW album versions.

I have actually edited them off the albums on my iTunes, so I'm not forced to sit through Macauley Culkin and Chris Tucker every time I want to hear the song. It's fine on the music videos, but I don't know why Michael felt it was necessary to have this pointless dialogue at the beginning of the song on the actual album.

I always skip the spoken intro's. With the exception of DSTYGE and PYT

DSTYGE - YESS!! Best spoken intro ever. "The Force got a lot of power..." Enough said.

PYT - yes

IJCSLY - yes, I like it

In The Closet - yes

BoW - NO. On my Spotify playlist I use the singles version of the song instead of the album version and that is because the singles version does not have the intro and I prefer it that way.
Same with You Rock My World - so a "no" there as well.

I like the Will You Be There and Little Susie intros and I don't mind the History or Heal The World intro.

So I guess to me those two are annoying: Black or White and You Rock My World. The rest are OK or even great like in the case of DSTYGE.

Another thing I really hate - and I'm glad MJ did not have this habit - album intros and outros and interludes. Man, those are annoying!

I like DSTYGE, PYT and In The Closet intros, but I hate having to hear the BoW and YRMW intros. The ones from 2bad and privacy aren't too bad. What else erm, TDCAU fits with the song I like that. Heal the World is cute and again fits I think.

Yeah I think the only ones I don't like are BoW and YRMW

I understand some spoken intros are annoying like the BOW or YRMW ones but how could anyone skip the Will You Be There's (Beethoven's 9th Symphony, Choral) and Little Susie's (Maurice Duruflé's Requiem) intros? Unless some of you aren't into classical music.

If it is something that can add to the song then i support it fully, but if it's just there to fill up some time on the record then absolutely not.. i'm glad Michael was smart with his decisions in regards to this subject.

I don't mind it on the songs you mentioned (DSTYGE spoken intro is one of the best build-ups to a song ever), but I can't stand the spoken dialogue at the beginning of Black or White and YRMW album versions.

I have actually edited them off the albums on my iTunes, so I'm not forced to sit through Macauley Culkin and Chris Tucker every time I want to hear the song. It's fine on the music videos, but I don't know why Michael felt it was necessary to have this pointless dialogue at the beginning of the song on the actual album.

Yes. But remember these albums were in the days when you'd listen to a full album. No playlists or shuffle. So BoW worked at the time, especially as BoW is very much the break point to when the album changes pace, tack & mood.

YRMW doesn't really work as well.

Another thing I really hate - and I'm glad MJ did not have this habit - album intros and outros and interludes. Man, those are annoying!

God, yeah. Put a Janet Jackson album on shuffle & you're screwed!!

On this thread though, there's a huge difference between a poken intro like DSTYGE (one of the best intro's ever. Michael Jackson became A MAN in that moment!) and PYT and the parts of BoW & YRMW, the latter two are more parts of a play setting up the song.

The proper spoken intros work really well.

Finally, perplexed why did you specify 'demo' on 'In The Closet'. The final version has it too?

I'll never understand why that intro was removed from later releases. It's not like it surpassed CDs length capacity, didn't it?

the length of a compact disc is 80 minutes.. so i don't understand why he cut it either! maybe he felt it dragged a little when he was working on the remaster process with Bruce..

DSTYGE - YESS!! Best spoken intro ever. "The Force got a lot of power..." Enough said.

Haha this happen so frequently esp in Rap music.. Marvin Gaye also used to do this. It just kills the flow of the album

the length of a compact disc is 80 minutes.. so i don't understand why he cut it either! maybe he felt it dragged a little when he was working on the remaster process with Bruce..

It wasn't just the remaster, it went in later copies of the original release.

Haha this happen so frequently esp in Rap music.. Marvin Gaye also used to do this. It just kills the flow of the album
True about Marvin. I always thought Diana Ross kinda started that-with her 'Touch Me in the Morning' days.

I love IJCSLY, PYT, and DSTYGE. The rest-not so much.

And I love 'Liberian Girl'-does that count as a spoken intro?

True about Marvin. I always thought Diana Ross kinda started that-with her 'Touch Me in the Morning' days.

I love IJCSLY, PYT, and DSTYGE. The rest-not so much.

And I love 'Liberian Girl'-does that count as a spoken intro?

Yea it does! Actually Liberian Girl has the best intro outta any MJ song. The atmosphere and the mysticism is so good. I love that

Off The Wall
DSTYGE Yay

Thriller
PYT Yay

Bad
IJCSLY Yay

Dangerous
In The Closet (demo) Yay
Black Or White Nay

Invincible
You Rock My World Nay

DSTYGE- yay
PYT- yay
IJCSLY-yay
In The Closet- nay (single edit is better)
Black Or White- nay (I prefer the radio edit)
You Rock My World- nay

You could also consider Privacy a spoken intro...even though it's not Michael talking....which I would also give a nay to anyways.

Some aren't spoken, just long instead but whatevs.

DSTYGE - Yay

PYT - Yay
IJCSLY - Nay (I find it a bit... awkward?? especially at first. Idk I don't really like it)
In The Closet - Yay
Heal the World - Indifferent
Will You Be There - Yay
Black Or White - Yay
History - Yay
Little Susie - Yay
You Rock My World - Nay

I often still listen to them (Except IJCSLY, since the only spoken intro version I have is on record, but I do listen to it then) with YRMW being the one I often skip. I like the BoW one quite a bit.

Also, some of these songs (Will You Be There, History, Little Susie) are ones where I feel the long intros are crucial to the overall experience.

Last edited:
I don't remember the last time I heard the YRMW intro. Absolutely awful.

DSTYGE has to be the best. When that intro is missing (Number Ones version I'm looking at you) I just wince.

IJCSLY is a little weird but that's why I love it. I sequenced it back in on my iPod.

Black or White I only play the radio edit of that song.

Little Susie and WYBT are a different kettle of fish, but for the most complete vision of these two genius songs you can't not have it.

DSTYGE has to be the best. When that intro is missing (Number Ones version I'm looking at you) I just wince.

Exactly this, intro wise the is the one that suffers when missing.

The whole Number Ones album is nothing more than a collection of butchered radio edits....

The whole Number Ones album is nothing more than a collection of butchered radio edits....

I'm not sure I've listened to it since I bought it.

There's a full thread to be had in radio edits,but worse one ever is Who Is It. The best two minutes of the song just wiped.

Earth Song isn't too bad, they did the best they could.

Back