Would Invincible have sounded different with Pro Tools (instead of Analog) ?

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
Country
Greece
Rodney Jerkins preffered Pro Tools to Analog, but in the end the latter prevailed.

How different would the sound of Invincible have been (cleaner, crisper, etc) if it was recorded by means of Pro Tools ?

Rodney Jerkins preffered Pro Tools to Analog, but in the end the latter prevailed.

How different would the sound of Invincible have been (cleaner, crisper, etc) if it was recorded by means of Pro Tools ?

Well, straight from the mouth of Mr. Jerkins himself (2004):

"I like digital because it's a lot cleaner, but I love the warmth of analog. There's nothing like Neve EQs and analog mixes on vocals and tracks. It makes everything warm and Pro Tools is not able to capture the true essence of analog yet. Sometimes I use both. We record everything in Pro Tools. The last time I used analog was on Michael Jackson in 2000 [Invincible]. He was a little scared of Pro Tools. We tried to get him to use it, but he didn't want to go that route yet and I understand: He came from the school of analog." [Source]

Well, straight from the mouth of Mr. Jerkins himself (2004):

"I like digital because it's a lot cleaner, but I love the warmth of analog. There's nothing like Neve EQs and analog mixes on vocals and tracks. It makes everything warm and Pro Tools is not able to capture the true essence of analog yet. Sometimes I use both. We record everything in Pro Tools. The last time I used analog was on Michael Jackson in 2000 [Invincible]. He was a little scared of Pro Tools. We tried to get him to use it, but he didn't want to go that route yet and I understand: He came from the school of analog." [Source]

I am aware of that quote, thanks.
But, does it make any difference to the average listener?

What do you think ?

I am aware of that quote, thanks.
But, does it make any difference to the average listener?

What do you think ?

Had a faint idea you were but figured others would like to read it :)

Personally I'm not that knowledgable enough in this particular aspect of audio to discuss it. Very interested to see what those knowledgable have to say though!

Hmmm, interesting topic. If you read the Vince booklet, you will see that the tracks were edited on pro tools, only the vocals were recorded on analog tape I think.

Back