HIStory World Tour Dress Rehearsals

Zakk

Proud Member
Armed with a legion of photographers and press, Michael Jackson rehearsed his record breaking HIStory tour production in full style.. costumes/lighting/staging. I'm curious if we will ever see this, and whether it contained live vocals...

Photograph from the dress rehearsal: http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e...2746148_1916390147_n_zpscznlpkib.jpg~original

My question is, would you prefer seeing this instead of one of the shows? or in addition? it seems very unique.. my wish is that the estate see this thread & photo, and maybe they will expose it in the future.

If there is HD footage of live vocals from HWT rehearsals then the estate should definitely release this instead of an actual show. Perhaps they could piece together footage from the actual tour with some rehearsal footage, focusing mainly on any live singing that was captured, creating a TII style documentary.

Only trouble is, even if MJ did sing live during rehearsals, he very rarely sang all out. I think the only reason he did this during certain performances on TII is because he was building his voice back up.

Armed with a legion of photographers and press, Michael Jackson rehearsed his record breaking HIStory tour production in full style.. costumes/lighting/staging. I'm curious if we will ever see this, and whether it contained live vocals...

Photograph from the dress rehearsal: http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e...2746148_1916390147_n_zpscznlpkib.jpg~original

My question is, would you prefer seeing this instead of one of the shows? or in addition? it seems very unique.. my wish is that the estate see this thread & photo, and maybe they will expose it in the future.

Do you know the exact date & place of that rehearsal ?

Do you know the exact date & place of that rehearsal ?

Unfortunately i don't, but i'm sure it was either before the Prague or Bremen show. I'd like to see it nonetheless though

If there is HD footage of live vocals from HWT rehearsals then the estate should definitely release this instead of an actual show. Perhaps they could piece together footage from the actual tour with some rehearsal footage, focusing mainly on any live singing that was captured, creating a TII style documentary.

Only trouble is, even if MJ did sing live during rehearsals, he very rarely sang all out. I think the only reason he did this during certain performances on TII is because he was building his voice back up.

It would be great, even if it was to be from a tape source! i think he did sing near full out, like he did at the Munich 1992 dress rehearsals we have amateur audio of for a few song's

Maybe if there's something particularly special about it... I'd like to see it. You know, live vocals or special interactions on stage. But if you're talking about an official release I think it should be an extra.

Last edited:

I think TII would have a lot more live singing than HIStory tour.

I think MJ knew that people did not like play-back anymore - not that they ever did, but now it's not good to use playback.

I think maybe TII would be like Dangerous - mostly sung live but 6-7 songs playback.

I think SC, Earth Song, MITM, Thriller and Dangerous would most likely be playback. - Jam and TDCAU too maybe.

I think MJ knew that people did not like play-back anymore - not that they ever did, but now it's not good to use playback.

I think maybe TII would be like Dangerous - mostly sung live but 6-7 songs playback.

I think SC, Earth Song, MITM, Thriller and Dangerous would most likely be playback. - Jam and TDCAU too maybe.

And with This Is It Michael knew that the media had their knives sharpened more than ever. Especially after the 2005 trial

It's safe to say TII supposed to have more live singing than HIStory. Maybe something like Dangerous tour.

This isn't about THIS IS IT! it's concerning the dress rehearsals for the HIStory Tour and whether we will see them or not.

I think SC was going to have lip-synced verses and the rest of it live. I really liked the way they arranged the vocals on the "Annie are you okay, so Annie are you okay, are you okay Annie?" part.

The biggest surprise was seeing BorW live for the first time ever.

If HIStory Tour has to be released then it would be fun to see rehearsals too. Rehearsals are great extra material for a Blu-Ray/DVD. I have hard time of believing that they would put unedited rehearsal footage there but I hope they do.

The photo you linked to is actually from a regular concert (Bremen 1997) rather than rehearsals.

Higher resolution:

(Click to enlarge)

I think SC was going to have lip-synced verses and the rest of it live. I really liked the way they arranged the vocals on the "Annie are you okay, so Annie are you okay, are you okay Annie?" part.

The biggest surprise was seeing BorW live for the first time ever.

He sung it so flawlessly that I first believed it was playback. Especially during the bridge.

Last edited:
The photo you linked to is actually from a regular concert (Bremen 1997) rather than rehearsals.

Higher resolution:

(Click to enlarge)

I don't think it is from a concert to be honest, you can't see the crowd.. furthest you can see are still crew/press & camera men.. then there's a gap, of no one standing there!

During premieres almost always press crew take the first row(s).

I don't think it is from a concert to be honest, you can't see the crowd.. furthest you can see are still crew/press & camera men.. then there's a gap, of no one standing there!

It's not about thinking. It is in fact from a regular concert (1st Bremen '97 concert). Press photographers were always right before the stage during Scream / TDCAU / ITC. They aren't even in the regular audience rows. They were allowed to take pictures in the beginning and then they had to leave - except some local photographers with special permissions which allowed them to take pictures during the whole show (and obviously MJ's photo crew). As for the daylight in that particular shot (Bremen), it was as bright as day during almost half the concert (nightfall began circa during TWYMMF).
The photographers were between the vertical part of the stage (that runway thing) and the first audience row. You can see the gap in this photo:

413746.jpeg

He did rehearse before he kicked off the second leg in Bremen but as you can see they were not fully dressed rehearsals (wearing the J5 Medley jacket during Beat It, Smooth Criminal ect.)

The following are a few photos from the rehearsals (Bremen 1997):

981203.jpeg

303807.jpeg

336700.jpeg

208493.jpeg

407174.jpeg

701718.jpeg

^^ The text in the last photo says that Michael rehearsed for three days at Weserstadion.

There are indeed photos from various days of the Bremen rehearsals. Some with just random / everyday's clothes.

He did rehearse before he kicked off the second leg in Bremen but as you can see they were not fully dressed rehearsals (wearing the J5 Medley jacket during Beat It, Smooth Criminal ect.)

The following are a few photos from the rehearsals (Bremen 1997):

981203.jpeg

303807.jpeg

336700.jpeg

208493.jpeg

407174.jpeg

701718.jpeg

^^ The text in the last photo says that Michael rehearsed for three days at Weserstadion.

There are indeed photos from various days of the Bremen rehearsals. Some with just random / everyday's clothes.

Wow. Thanks for sharing these photos- I've never seen them before...

When there are pictures, maybe there are film too?? I hope so. Would be great to see some rehearsal footage. - especially if he sings live like he did on the dangerous rehearsals!!

Nice pictures anyway - hope to see more from the rehearsals!!

I actually think it would be wise for the estate to release a lot of rehearsal footage. - as bonus on concert DVD's and Blu-Rays.

here is why:

Some people say he did not have the energy to perform TII - and their argument is the TII film. MJ does not dance like he did on concerts - he did not even make the moonwalk in BJ - some even claim he could not moonwalk any longer... Stupid.

BUT - if they could see fx Dangerous rehearsals BJ - they would see that in that rehearsal he did NOT make the moonwalk neither!! - And the dancing was very slow compared to the actual show.

We fans know of course that many times he just marked his moves, walked around and watched the dancers, came with instructions (There should be a stair here so I can grap some girls - the piano is too loud etc. etc.)

But those who have just sen Dangerous and BAD concerts and then see TII do not get that MJ of course did not perform a hundred per cent at rehearsals. (or sing a 100%) - why would he?

But to all those who claim MJ had lost it in TII - give them Dangerous and HIStrory concerts with rehearsals as extras so they can see the difference. - That would stop all the nonsens.

thanks for the pictures MichaelD! i'd love to see the Prague & Bremen rehearsals one day, the Dangerous Tour & BAD Tour rehearsals too. Maybe included on future Blu-Ray releases, his full extent of stage creation/evolution and wonderment deserve to be exposed to those who desire. I guess we'll wait and see, but the source material is definitely there to take advantage of.. rather than just leaving it to rot

I actually think it would be wise for the estate to release a lot of rehearsal footage. - as bonus on concert DVD's and Blu-Rays.

here is why:

Some people say he did not have the energy to perform TII - and their argument is the TII film. MJ does not dance like he did on concerts - he did not even make the moonwalk in BJ - some even claim he could not moonwalk any longer... Stupid.

BUT - if they could see fx Dangerous rehearsals BJ - they would see that in that rehearsal he did NOT make the moonwalk neither!! - And the dancing was very slow compared to the actual show.

We fans know of course that many times he just marked his moves, walked around and watched the dancers, came with instructions (There should be a stair here so I can grap some girls - the piano is too loud etc. etc.)

But those who have just sen Dangerous and BAD concerts and then see TII do not get that MJ of course did not perform a hundred per cent at rehearsals. (or sing a 100%) - why would he?

But to all those who claim MJ had lost it in TII - give them Dangerous and HIStrory concerts with rehearsals as extras so they can see the difference. - That would stop all the nonsens.

This is one of the greatest posts of all time. Or at least this month.

Though this is not only for people outside the fan community but for some fans as well.

There isn't obviously the one rehearsal as he rehearsed several times, we already pointed out. First rehearsals were in Calfornia 1996, including some costumes ect. Similar thing to the known Dangerous Tour rehearsals (with the latter one without actual costumes, just a green shirt).
Then there are the Prague '96 and Bremen '97 rehearsals (always just before the tour or leg started off). Same with Dangerous Tour (rehearsals in Munich '92 and Bangkok '93).

A few more Bremen '97 rehearsal pics:

(Click to enlarge)

291684.jpeg
312593.jpeg

194261.jpeg
320053.jpeg

524944.jpeg

122135.jpeg

107120.jpeg

250860.jpeg

black or white was sang live WITH an underlying backing track in munich 92 so to say TII was the first ever live BOW performance is false, it also was only live during the first verse, the bridge was lip synced and then live again after the rap

Back