Weakest MJ’s Lyrics

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
Country
Greece
In my opinion, the lyrics of “Can't Let Her Get Away” (shallow, boring and a little bit childish).

It’s a pity that these lyrics appear on his most creative album.

(official releases, written or not written by MJ)

Last edited:
Burn This Disco Out for me. It sounds like something I would have written when I was 12

Burn This Disco Out for me. It sounds like something I would have written when I was 12

So are we talking about any song ever sung by MJ, or just what he wrote, because Burn This Disco Out wasn't written by him.

So are we talking about any song ever sung by MJ, or just what he wrote, because Burn This Disco Out wasn't written by him.

The O.P said that we can name songs that weren't written by MJ

You got crazy choices sometimes, i think 'Burn This Disco Out' is a great song.

Girlfriend.
First that came to mind for me too. That's probably also the track I find the weakest musically. Just an unfortunate blemish on an otherwise brilliant album - thanks Sir Paul.

Some of the lyrics on Invincible are a bit clunky. "Shorty really wanna be there for me" and the first verse of the title track ("but still you say it ain't cool") are the worst culprits. I don't believe MJ wrote these lines, nor do I believe they sound natural coming from a middle aged muli-millionaire.

Bad can be a bit cringeful, especially the "really really bad" backing vocals on the chorus. I know it's iconic and all, but it's corny as hell.

I also dislike a lot of the lines in APWNN. "She started liking me, kissing me and hugging me" being a particularly bad one.

Some of the lyrics on Invincible are a bit clunky. "Shorty really wanna be there for me" and the first verse of the title track ("but still you say it ain't cool") are the worst culprits. I don't believe MJ wrote these lines, nor do I believe they sound natural coming from a middle aged muli-millionaire.

Christ, Amen....... Not lyrics I enjoy singing along to

I love it musically, but lyrically I think it's lacking

Why would it need great lyrics?

It's a GROOVE song, designed to get you moving. That's the point of it. It's not trying to be Earth Song or Will You Be There.

Bad can be a bit cringeful, especially the "really really bad" backing vocals on the chorus. I know it's iconic and all, but it's corny as hell.

I also dislike a lot of the lines in APWNN. "She started liking me, kissing me and hugging me" being a particularly bad one.

Are you bashing Invincible again?

True though, this is one of the reasons why I struggle with some of the album.

I love that verse on APWNN though, but that line does stand out.

I can't really think of any he's written himself that are bad, although speaking of Bad...the backing vocal of "Bad, bad, really, really Bad" stands out!

Edit: just realised you'd already put Bad in the very post I quoted!

2000 Watts ("Shorty really wanna be there for me"). As MattyJam pointed out it makes me a little uncomfortable imagining Michael Jackson singing that line with a straight face.

2000 Watts ("Shorty really wanna be there for me"). As MattyJam pointed out it makes me a little uncomfortable imagining Michael Jackson singing that line with a straight face.

That line just screams ''middle aged man, who's still trying to be down with the young generation''

OK. What does this line even mean? You all have me curious now.

Shorty\Shawty is girlfriend or hot woman
Ok thank you. I was looking it up in the online "urban" dictionary and it said in rap songs it was a 'young man new to the game' but then it said it evolved into a girl.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the 'doggone girl is mine' bc that lyric used to be widely trounced. People making fun of it used to make me angry because it was a common lyric used by Motown, Jackie Wilson and others back when Michael was a kid.

This may be blasphemous to say on a Michael Jackson board but I always cringe a little when I hear Heal The World. The lyrics are just so cheesy to me. But his heart was in the right place :)

Keeping with the blasphemy theme, this line in WATW has always bothered me for some reason: "As God has shown us by turning stones to bread". It's not biblically correct, it was Satan who tried to persuade Jesus to turn stones to bread but Jesus refused (see Matthew 4:4). Surely someone in that room should have picked up on this. Not that I'm offended or anything, I'm not even religious, but still.

This may be blasphemous to say on a Michael Jackson board but I always cringe a little when I hear Heal The World. The lyrics are just so cheesy to me. But his heart was in the right place :)

Keeping with the blasphemy theme, this line in WATW has always bothered me for some reason: "As God has shown us by turning stones to bread". It's not biblically correct, it was Satan who tried to persuade Jesus to turn stones to bread but Jesus refused (see Matthew 4:4). Surely someone in that room should have picked up on this. Not that I'm offended or anything, I'm not even religious, but still.

The lyrics to MJ's solo version of We Are The World are so much better. The USA For Africa version got a little too religious for me

Why?! What's up with that one? Makes sense to me.

It's not that it doesn't fit or make sense. It just sounds lame to me haha. From Jo Whiley's first play in 2001 til now. Always grated on me. It feels lazy I guess. Uninspired.

Back