Singles that should have been visualized in a different way

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
Country
Greece
In my opinion, “Liberian Girl” (one of MJ’s most seductive melodies) should have been visualized in a different, more sensual, way.

If you mean short film then I would say Who Is It. The short film should have been a lot better visually. It is kind of boring.

If you mean short film then I would say Who Is It. The short film should have been a lot better visually. It is kind of boring.

Agree on that front. I know some fans really dig the WII video, but to me, a song that good deserves a video which is equally spectacular. WII fails in that regard.

mj_frenzy;4080779 said:
In my opinion, “Liberian Girl” (one of MJ’s most seductive melodies) should have been visualized in a different, more sensual, way.

This I can agree with. When I think of it, the video for Remember The Time would mesh really well with Liberian Girl

Agree on that front. I know some fans really dig the WII video, but to me, a song that good deserves a video which is equally spectacular. WII fails in that regard.

Not at all IMO. I always thought the video was perfect for the song.

I also think anyone who says Who Is It before Liberian Girl or Cry is clearly trolling. :p

I think APOM could have been approached differently, not scrapping the live short film full out. But creating an alternative rendition, based on the choreography from Captain EO! something great could have been created for sure

I think APOM could have been approached differently, not scrapping the live short film full out. But creating an alternative rendition, based on the choreography from Captain EO! something great could have been created for sure

I'm glad that MJ has an official live video.

APOM video is perfect. The funk and strut of the track is visualised in the funk and strut of the performance.

Who is It is brilliant in its difference. It's unlike anything Michael ever did visually and that's why it suits the brilliance of the song.

I think the only video I've ever been disappointed in is YRMW and even that has good bits (obviously not including Cry in this). Also One More Chance, but again I don't think of that as an official video.

I also think anyone who says Who Is It before Liberian Girl or Cry is clearly trolling. :p
Well, to be honest, Cry is in a league of its own in terms of terrible music videos. Hard to believe it was directed by the same man who did the brilliant videos for ES, SIM and Childhood (Nick Brandt). I mean, I know he had to work around the fact that MJ wasn't in the video and everything and like most of Brandt's music videos it is very picturesque, but a panning shot of folks holding hands for four and half minutes? Is that really the best idea they had?

Well, to be honest, Cry is in a league of its own in terms of terrible music videos. Hard to believe it was directed by the same man who did the brilliant videos for ES, SIM and Childhood (Nick Brandt). Granted, like most of Brandt's music videos, it is very picturesque, but a panning shot of folks holding hands for four and half minutes? Is that really the best idea they had?

Liberian Girl is easily Michael's weakest video, even more so than You Rock My World. It's charming to see all the folks that he associated with around the time but one of his most atmospheric and beautiful songs deserves a bit more effort than random celebrity cameos.

You Rock My World could have been handled better - feels like someone jacking Smooth Criminal and The Way You Make Me Feel.

Parts of You Are Not Alone feel amateur both visually and aesthetically.

Will You Be There is another track with such beautiful composition and production that was horribly misrepresented. I would have loved to see something similar to the 1988 Grammys: Michael in front of a choir letting loose, a bit of the Dangerous tour choreography thrown in.

I vastly prefer the prison version of They Don't Care About Us. The secondary version feels much too colorful and playful for such a dark song. The only thing the latter has over the former is the band instrumental, which is absolutely outstanding.

Don't even get me started on Cry - just bad.

What? One of MJ's best videos.

Nah. It's a really great looking video. Shot well. MJ's performance pieces looked really cool with the dark city in the backdrop.
But the video itself is kinda boring.

I vastly prefer the prison version of They Don't Care About Us. The secondary version feels much too colorful and playful for such a dark song. The only thing the latter has over the former is the band instrumental, which is absolutely outstanding.

Don't even get me started on Cry - just bad.

The extended drumming part at the end of the Rio version is SOOOOOOO good. I remember ripping the mp3 from my copy of the DVD years ago because I preffered the videos version. Awesome.

Also, I always wished MJ would have made a cameo at least at the end of Cry. The very last part would be MJ locking hands with others and he'd say the last line.

I think the Who Is It video had a ton of potential that wasn't fully used, maybe due to MJ's schedule / availability, or maybe due to budget limitations? I love the atmosphere and the story that is hinted at. The mysterious, slightly disturbing, almost surreal world fits the song perfectly but it feels the video should've been much longer -- more like a proper short film -- to really do the concept justice.

My choice for a video that completely missed the mark is YRMW. IMO it was just a hottible choice to do what basically amounts to a mash-up tribute to two of his most iconic releases (SC and TWYMMF) and have Chris Tucker tagging along as the comic relief shouting hit song references. *Especially* as the launch single for the album, it's just... ugh.

Whaaat?! :) As I've stated before, the video is great in its uniqueness - dark, mysterious, fits the songs perfectly (I don't mind the impersonator here and there).

AlwaysThere;4080945 said:
The secondary version feels much too colorful and playful for such a dark song. The only thing the latter has over the former is the band instrumental, which is absolutely outstanding.

One of the smartest comments I have ever read!

That could be a reason for shooting the prison version of that song later…

Last edited:
Nah. It's a really great looking video. Shot well. MJ's performance pieces looked really cool with the dark city in the backdrop.
But the video itself is kinda boring.

To me it's not.

To add to the WII love a bit, it's one of the only films to be dark and mysterious, a bit like Billie Jean but even more so because of the complex storyline. There's no choreography, just a mature, adult theme that occasionally perplexes.

It's so different, yes he could have been in it more but the bits he is in, he looks great and acts it well. After the glitzy opening films of BoW and RTT, I love how the films get more subtle and sexy with ITC, GITM and WII.

Liberian Girl because I don't really understand the vision they had especially with all the talking over the song

Billie Jean music video could also have been better. I don't watch it very often. The dance parts are great though.

Back