How good did MJ sound after 2005 ?

SmoothCriminal1995

Proud Member
I'm just wondering how good Michael sounded after the trial. We have, Hold My Hand, Best Of Joy, WBSS 2008 and of course This Is It (but I'm talking about studio vocals) To me he still sounds great, I just wish we had more tracks to judge from. (especially some more upbeat songs)
What does everyone think ?

He sounded fantastic in This Is It. Better than what he did on the HIStory Tour

He had his vocal coach back for This Is It, he wanted to give fans the best. I'm sure he sounds great on all the other tracks in the archive from 2003-2009.. looking forward to hearing them.

Based on the (few) studio recordings we have, what I mostly find noteworthy is that his voice has a youthful quality that wasn't there during the Invincible era. He sounds more like a mature version of the MJ we heard on Thriller. To some degree I think it might have to do with the type of songs we have from that era (I'm not saying he couldn't do the gritty vocals anymore of course), but I don't think that's exclusively it. Hard to put my finger on it. In any case, I think he sounded great.

All the live vocals on TII were amazing, specially Human Nature, IJCSLY, Earth Song, Billie Jean. He still had it, that's why I'm so eager to hear recent tracks.

Damn, at first I couldn't believe his vocals from WBSS08 were from 2007! Too bad he didn't re-record the entire song, would have been awesome. Also, his TII performances were great. Will.I.Am also said in an interview that he still sang like a bird.

All in all: His voice was just as great as ever. I really really wish there are a couple of songs with more than just guideline vocals.

All the live vocals on TII were amazing, specially Human Nature, IJCSLY, Earth Song, Billie Jean. He still had it, that's why I'm so eager to hear recent tracks.
Totally agree on HN and IJCSLY, but Earth Song and Billie Jean were old dubbed vocals, not new live vocals.

Totally agree on HN and IJCSLY, but Earth Song and Billie Jean were old dubbed vocals, not new live vocals.

Can't wait to see the performances of Dirty Diana/WYBT/SIM etc. if they ever are released of course..

I think Earth Song verses and chorus are sung live. I think only the final part is dubbed from "What About Us".

I think Earth Song verses and chorus are sung live. I think only the final part is dubbed from "What About Us".

I'm pretty sure the whole song was dubbed. They just changed the pitch and speed of demo vocals.

Damn, at first I couldn't believe his vocals from WBSS08 were from 2007! Too bad he didn't re-record the entire song, would have been awesome. Also, his TII performances were great. Will.I.Am also said in an interview that he still sang like a bird.

All in all: His voice was just as great as ever. I really really wish there are a couple of songs with more than just guideline vocals.
I like all his new vocals beside of them in WBSS with akon. I think his voice doesn't sound that good in this one...

The other songs we have of that time period are sounding great!!!

I'm pretty sure the whole song was dubbed. They just changed the pitch and speed of demo vocals.

there are some different lyrics in the THIS IS IT audio, i would like to hear untouched audio of each rehearsal on future releases though. HAS to happen

If you notice on Billie Jean, he changed some lyrics and omitted other. I agree about the cherry picker part is from the demo but the rest doesn't seem to be dubbed.

If you notice on Billie Jean, he changed some lyrics and omitted other. I agree about the cherry picker part is from the demo but the rest doesn't seem to be dubbed.

I'm intrigued to see if he rehearsed Earth Song in full with the red lion shirt? he looks pretty great in that snippet with Kenny describing how he would like the theatrical moments

I don't know if it's true (I may not remember correctly) but in the Conrat Murray trial the DA Walgren was allowed to play full, unedited version when Michael wore the black jacket and loose pants since it was the last song he rehearsed. They said he sounded great.

I don't know if it's true (I may not remember correctly) but in the Conrat Murray trial the DA Walgren was allowed to play full, unedited version when Michael wore the black jacket and loose pants since it was the last song he rehearsed. They said he sounded great.

I think it was in fact the unedited audio, not 100% because they showed the clips that didn't have the cut aways to the jumbotron interludes

Best Of Joy is downright amazing! His vocals sounded so youthful on that track. Just like someone said on the first page, a mature thriller voice

Billie Jean in TII was very to and fro when it comes to dubbing and live vocals, some parts were live some were dubbed.
When I saw TII in the theatre, I really couldn't tell what was dubbed or not. I just usually notice when it sounds like the album recording or he's covering his mouth.
But when he broke out into Human Nature, I just unexpectedly started sobbing. His voice was as wondrous and beautiful as ever and it just overwhelmed me. I wasn't sure what to expect and was nervous about the movie and the fact he hadn't lost it just really got to me.

In Billie Jean they clearly used some demo because you can hear few demo lyrics like you said. Not the full song is dubbed though. Some things here and there are from the rehearsal.

Last edited:
In Billie Jean they clearly used some demo because you can hear few demo lyrics like you said. Not the full song is dubbed though. Some things here and there are from the rehearsal.

it's a shame, because in the tv spot Michael's voice is very strong and he is in fact singing live.. on the disc menu also! would be great if they would give us a 2 disc CD with the raw vocal/instrumental tracks..

it's a shame, because in the tv spot Michael's voice is very strong and he is in fact singing live.. on the disc menu also! would be great if they would give us a 2 disc CD with the raw vocal/instrumental tracks..

It would be great but I don't think they will do it. Then they would have to admit that they dubbed the vocals and most likely they don't want to do that.

The best vocal performance in This Is It is I Just Can't Stop Loving You - those high notes and ad-libs at the end were absolutely jaw dropping. I remember my theater burst into applause after he did it.

It would be great but I don't think they will do it. Then they would have to admit that they dubbed the vocals and most likely they don't want to do that.

They also dubbed the piano when Michael interpreted a short snippet from Todo Mi Amore, you can hear the rough piano in the special features. Fan only releases should have genuine, i don't mind if public releases are touched up

Am I correct in thinking that the only new vocal parts on Thriller 25 were WBSS 08 and parts of For All Time? The Kanye West remix of Billie Jean and the dreadful Beat It duet with Fergie uses the original vocals doesn't it?

Am I correct in thinking that the only new vocal parts on Thriller 25 were WBSS 08 and parts of For All Time? The Kanye West remix of Billie Jean and the dreadful Beat It duet with Fergie uses the original vocals doesn't it?

True.

If i remember correctly, the remix vocals aren't pitched? i also love how it's slowed down.. take away Kanye's voice over and it isn't that bad

Back