Videos that should have been

barbee0715

Proud Member
I have been having a good time reading all these fun threads about videos that could have been visualized in a different way, or singles that should have been released, best songs on albums, worst songs on albums, and last night I dreamed up the most wonderful video for "Just Good Friends."
I dreamed about it all night-the main part has Stevie and Michael recording the song from BAD 25-but while they're singing the song we also see all these pictures and film in flashback of both Michael and Stevie when they're kids at Motown rehearsing, performing, the shots of Michael watching Stevie making "Songs in the Key of Life", film from "We are the World", film from the Motown Museum opening, pix from the concert in Australia. All the Award show appearances together-showing the growing up.

I just think it would be so cool-two child prodigies growing up together at Motown with lots of film showing them that way.

I jumped up and watched "Ebony and Ivory" (first time in probably 30 years) and found this video on YouTube. Which is kinda my idea, but needs more old film.
Personally, I think this song would be a lot more revered with a video like this-and a HUGE HIT.

And it would be fun.

What do you think? I don't think it would be considered the weakest song on the album anymore-in fact, the more I listen to this video I posted, I adore it now.

Any other songs that could have been great videos?

I've never understand why Michael didn't make short films of songs like Human Nature, State Of Shock, Smile, Unbreakable and Threatened (well, those last 3 I mentioned, Sony refused to let him do them.) But the Human Nature piece is my favorite part of the kaleidoscope of shorts in Moonwalker, it would have been great if he had made it an animated like cartoon style video of that one.

But the Human Nature piece is my favorite part of the kaleidoscope of shorts in Moonwalker, it would have been great if he had made it an animated like cartoon style video of that one.
I'm crazy about that as well-I wish it had been a full fledged video because it is absolutely great.

They had a really good thread on this subject back in 2009 that I read yesterday-full of good ideas. But it couldn't be resurrected because its archived.

It dawned on me though last night that most of the people in this forum are probably very technically savvy, and unlike me, who has to dream up videos, they could actually create their own and upload them immediately. :)
But after watching 'Ebony and Ivory' especially, I think they lost a really great opportunity to have a fantastic video, considering Michael and Stevie's past together.

I would have LOVED to see Michael's adaptations of "D.S." and "Threatened" in short-film form.

I myself had an idea for the "Slave to the Rhythm" short film. It's basically just a woman performing an interpretive dance piece as the set around her moves, morphs and flips to create different settings to go along with the lyrics (a kitchen, office space, kids' school, and a dance club for the "she danced to a beat of her own" verse).

Even though there was a video for it I think that Liberian Girl deserved better

I always thought it would have been cool if Michael did a video where he does nothing but dances in a studio space. Similar to The Pleasure Principle by Janet. Would've been cool for a funky song like 'Can't Let Her Get Away' or 'Blood On The Dancefloor'.

I myself had an idea for the "Slave to the Rhythm" short film. It's basically just a woman performing an interpretive dance piece as the set around her moves, morphs and flips to create different settings to go along with the lyrics (a kitchen, office space, kids' school, and a dance club for the "she danced to a beat of her own" verse).
That's a great idea. In my imagination, I see a video with Michael in front of the stage under a spot a la Dirty Diana, telling the story, and the footage of various scenes with Angela Bassett suffering in "American Dream" cut through it. (As I assumed he's singing about his mother).

Unbreakable. Michael did want to make a short film but Sony didn't. Frank Cascio talked about it in his book:

"Michael wanted to release the song “Unbreakable” as the first single, and was eager to make a video for it. (He never, by the way, used the word “video” when referring to one of his filmed songs. If anyone used the word, he would say, “Short film. It’s a short film. I don’t do videos.”) Michael even knew exactly how he wanted to open the “Unbreakable” short film. He would be on the roof of a very tall building that was under construction, held over the edge by some thugs, and then they would let him go. He would go hurtling to the ground, seemingly dead, but slowly, his body parts would come together and he would turn into fire—dancing on fire from scaffold to scaffold as his body parts reassembled themselves. Michael envisioned creating a dance for “Unbreakable” that people would remember forever.

He fought for this vision, but unfortunately that’s not how things finally went down. Sony wanted the first single to be “You Rock My World.” Don’t get me wrong: Michael loved “You Rock My World,” but he wanted it to be the second single from the album. As a compromise, he thought “Unbreakable” should follow as the second single, but Sony wanted “Butterflies.” Sony wasn’t behind it. Ultimately, there were three singles: “Rock My World,” “Butterflies,” and “Cry,” but the only one that would also be a music video was “Rock My World.” "

Just Good Friends- why leave it out!?!?! Haha

But seriously, I would have loved a video for Dangerous HIStory or Tabloid Junkie

Back