The connotations in “2000 Watts”

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
Country
Greece
Does the song “2000 Watts” revolve around sexual connotations or not?

I think it would be safe to say YES - as it was a song co-written by Tyrese. lol

I've read entire theses and dissertations on the sexual connotations in 2000 Watts.

(I'm kidding.)

My youngest son asked me what the song was about and I was like, ""Uhhh, it's all about the science of sound." :lol:

Dewey, that's absolutely hilarious!!! :rofl:

As far as the connotation, I would certainly says so! I never really thought about it until now! :rofl:

TheManinTheMirror;4082080 said:
I don't know how it would work...can someone explain it to me?

Bass note, treble, stereo control, how low you go
Just enough to make your juices flow
Press play, don’t stop, rotate, too hot
You feel I’m real
I’m everything you need, so tell me what’s the deal

[CHORUS]
2000 Watts, 8 ohms, 200 volts, real strong
Too much of that, fuse blown
Be careful what you say don’t overload
2000 Watts, 8 ohms, 200 volts, real strong
Too much of that, fuse blown
Be careful what you say don’t overload

3D, high speed, feedback, Dolby
Release two or three, when I reach I can go ‘til I hit my peak
Compact steelo, chico, D-Lo, highpost lady
Shorty really wanna be there for me

To me it was obvious since day one this is not about some hi-fi equipment. LOL.

Funny, I was just thinking about 2000 Watts and its connotations yesterday. It certainly is a sexy song about sex ("Release two or three, when I reach I can go ‘til I hit my peak" :shifty:). Somehow I'm glad Michael chose to do this song. And in a low-pitch.

Erandi;4082117 said:
Funny, I was just thinking about 2000 Watts and its connotations yesterday. It certainly is a sexy song about sex ("Release two or three, when I reach I can go ‘til I hit my peak" :shifty:). Somehow I'm glad Michael chose to do this song. And in a low-pitch.

Last edited:
Well damn, almost every album had that In The Closet type track. This and Break of Dawn for Invincible. Superfly Sista for BOTDF.

mj_frenzy;4081972 said:
Does the song “2000 Watts” revolve around sexual connotations or not?
This is funny. That's like people thinking "Rock With You" is about coaxing a shy girl onto the dance floor. Right.

J5master;4081976 said:
I think it would be safe to say YES - as it was a song co-written by Tyrese. lol

The song “2000 Watts” was originally intended to make the title track of Tyrese’s album.

TheManinTheMirror;4082174 said:
Well damn, almost every album had that In The Closet type track. This and Break of Dawn for Invincible. Superfly Sista for BOTDF.

“Superfly Sister” is an autobiographical song, “Break Of Dawn” is an erotic song and “In The Closet” is a song about sex (just like “2000 Watts”).

mj_frenzy;4082334 said:
“Superfly Sister” is an autobiographical song, “Break Of Dawn” is an erotic song and “In The Closet” is a song about sex (just like “2000 Watts”).

Alright, but they all have a sexual tone to them.

IMO DSTYGE is the parallel song of 2000 Watts. The main subject of ITC is the secret relationship, not the sex itself. He got a lot of songs with sexual context but not all of them are about the act.

I think:
Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough is about the feeling of being in love.
Rock With You is about "making love" all night.
In The Closet is about sexual desire and lust as well as the secret relationship.
Superfly Sister is about how love isn't what it used to be and sex is made too important.
Break Of Dawn is like Rock With You.
2,000 Watts is kind of like In The Closet but I think it's about being horny.

InvincibleTal;4082492 said:
IMO DSTYGE is the parallel song of 2000 Watts.

True. “Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough" refers to the act of sex, too (although MJ never confirmed that).

Back